yet another pocket query suggestion

blahginger

First of all I wanted to say thank you the the geocahcing.com staff for implementing the pocket query generator. I finally got everything installed today (went without a hitch) and it seems to work fine, although I have not done a field test yet.

Mobi-pocket seems a little sluggish and perhaps not quite as intuitive as I would like, but that can be overcome with a little patience.

My suggestion would be to provide an option to have the encrypted 'hint' automatically decrypted for the eBook download. For me the fun is in the journey to the cache not in the rummaging around in the underbrush.

I suspect that you have bigger fish to fry, but I thought I would mention it in case it is something 'easy' to do.

Thank you

The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.

- Colette

I was going to suggest that they be left in the cache page encrypted. I've been geoclipping and if I want the hint, I'd copy and past it to the decoder program that I suspect most have with their PDA. The same would work with the query, I suspect.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

OK, when I first saw the hints in the MobiReader, I could have sworn that there was a link from the cache description to the hint. But on further inspection it appears that there is no link.

With 100's of pages of text it is time consuming to search around for the hint in the appendix. Am I missing something again? Would it be possible to make a link from the cache description to the hint? I see that the hint does link back to the cache description.

Thank you

The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.

- Colette

I too am having trouble with no link from the cache description to the hint page. My five queries return 450 caches with over 3500 pages each! It takes over 11 minutes (I timed it...at three different caches this weekend) for the MobiGarbage search function to find the hint WAAY at the bottom of the document. As you can tell, I lost patience. Over 11 minutes, in 95-degree plus heat, with four impatient kids trying to find a cache is an eternity!

An excellent solution would be to have a functioning link from the cache description directly to the appropriate hint. Failing that, go back to the way it was before (decrypted hint still in the text) that way I can use the copy and paste (even if it's only a line at a time) into the Palm Geocache Hint Decoder. At it is now, it's just too impractical to try and access hints.

Not sure how they do it, but the AZ Geocache page has them in .pdb format, easily used from Palm Reader. All 500 or so AZ caches pop very quickly. Each cache is it's own chapter, so finding them is a snap.

Of course I do have a 206Mhz iPaq, but it is a nice solution. Would love to see more options like in the GCPQ, but I'll continue to use the .pdb until GCPQ doesn't require Mobi.

quote:
Originally posted by blahginger:

OK, when I first saw the hints in the MobiReader, I could have sworn that there was a link from the cache description to the hint. But on further inspection it appears that there is no link.

When you're in your query result "book", if you tap on the menu triangle on the upper right hand corner, you should see a menu item that says "Appendix 1: Hints". Tap that. From there you can do a search on the waypoint number to get the hint you need. Since it's only searching the hints, you'll get to the one you're looking for fairly quickly.

Well, I've only been a paid member for a week, so I haven't played around too much. However, the comments on the hints are something to consider. Personally, I'd prefer either to replace the encrypted hints in the cache description, or an active link.

I like this feature very much, but I'm not sure I like MobiPocket Reader itself. When I use the find option, I may need to scroll up or down a page. Sometimes it wants to scroll more than a single screen page, and will place me at some random page. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm using a Clie and tried both the jog-wheel and the page up/down buttons.

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

I'm not sure I like MobiPocket Reader itself. When I use the find option, I may need to scroll up or down a page. Sometimes it wants to scroll more than a single screen page, and will place me at some random page. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I have the exact same problem. The found search phrase is returned at the to of the page, which is one line AFTER the link to the cache page, so you have to scroll back. Also, I have found if I search for the next occurrence of the same phrase (find dialog still open), the Mobireader crashes completely and I have to reset my Palm. I see others have reported this as well.

Regarding Markwell's comment.. I agree, but why not use PDF? A PDF document can be read on every computing device I know of, PDA, Windblows, Mac, BSD, Linux, etc., etc. They are tiny, searchable, indexable, on an on. I am curious why PDF wasn't chosen as THE format?

quote:

Regarding Markwell's comment.. I agree, but why not use PDF? A PDF document can be read on every computing device I know of, PDA, Windblows, Mac, BSD, Linux, etc., etc. They are tiny, searchable, indexable, on an on. I am curious why PDF wasn't chosen as THE format?

PDF is licensed by Adobe and while Jeremy COULD use Ghostscript to generate them I totally disagree that they are Tiny!

I'd rather see the data as RTF or better yet embedded in the download as a .gpx that contains extra information, that way anyone with a bit of XML experience could right converters, thereby enabling people to have their PDF or RTF or DOC or whatever other format they choose.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command