The new maps

cachew nut

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

See? Something for everyone icon_smile.gif

Well, not quite for everyone. Only for maybe 75% of the community...icon_frown.gif

Yup, I read the announcement, and I understand the reasons given. It's ok as long as the services and features for charter/premium (i.e. paying) members are about the same. I can live with this but I can't say I'm much more than just disappointed.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

Overall, I like the new maps. Loosing the archived caches & marking caches you've hidden in some way (or filtering of some kind), and being able to pan out further than 30 miles would make it perfect in my opinion. Thanks for making a membership more worthwhile for this low-tech cacher.

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

Looks good. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm sure that Jeremy & crew will listen to all and make enhancements that will benefit the majority, just as they did with the Nearest page when it was redesigned.

If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose.

--Jack Handy

Thanks Jeremy! Well done. Ok, here's the flipside:

1. I'm with the crowd who likes simpler icons (e.g., colored dots or squares) - just my preference, but the fancy 3D icons don't do much for me.

2. The maps display my caches as not-found caches. What about some filter to not display your own caches as not-found?

3. Filter out found caches so only unfound caches are displayed?

Just tried the new maps for the first time. My impression is favorable, though they will not change my using Mapsource and USAphotomaps. I checked one of mine, Missing In Monches, and it is shown on the opposite side of the river that it is actually placed on and the park boudaries are wrong. Not a big deal but is the reason that I will still be using my previous procedures.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

The maps are very helpful. Sure, there are bugs to be worked out.

One of them: in addition to archived caches, the maps are showing EVENT caches. Some of these events were months ago! (I'm afraid I might show up 6 months late for breakfast icon_wink.gif )

Besides these minor inconveniences, I am enjoying the new map feature.

Thanks Jeremy for all you do.

Wow! Thanks for the enhancement, it's fantastic. I can say that the upgrades/improvements that I've seen in the last month since becoming a member and premium member have been worth the annual membership fee. I'll still download the waypoints to my local map, but this is a great enhancement. Thank you.

M.

Looks good. There are only two things I really noticed that could be improved.

1. It would be nice to seperate out or even not show the caches that I've hidden.

2. I can no longer view the entire state. I tried to select the veiw stat map in a cache page and it only gave me a max of about 30 miles.

I bought a GPSr so the ladies would stop telling me to get lost. It didn't work icon_frown.gif.

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

WAHOO! Way to go Jeremy!

I really like not having to Zoom in from 100,000 feet at the state level down to something useful.

Mark

This may be true for cache dense metro areas - but it's not nearly as useful for the more rural states. I always start at the state level and zoom in - there are only about 5 high density areas in our state (and I know this is the only state like that) , so the rest of the caches are spread out over a large area.

It'd be nice if the initial maps were zoomed a bit further out, and if you could go out to a bit further. The scale shows 30 miles and that's half - so it appears they're 60x60. It might be nice if they'd go out to 120x120 but I guess there may be cpu/cost reasons preventing this.

I think somebody also suggested having Yellow (or another color) check boxes for caches you own - so you can differentiate them from caches you've found and haven't found.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
It is a pity that so many people have so little to do but complain about EVERY upgrade that is done to this site! If you dont like it DONT LOOK!

From the quick read I've done on this thread (not reading every comment) I wouldn't say people are really complaining, more like offering suggestions to what might suit them or others better. I would even guess that TPTB are interested in hearing these comments so they ca=n tweak the features to better suit the caching community. That said, I too hope they unclutter the icons, remove the archieved caches and allow for a complete state view. Not a complaint just my wish list.

E

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

I am quite pleased with the new maps. Good job Jeremy, as always doing a great job. One suggestion: I'll have to ditto what others have said regarding the icons: Caches hidden by the user and Not Found caches have the same icon. It would be nice to have a different icon or color to distinguish between caches I've hidden vs. caches I haven't found.

As far as the look of the new maps vs. the old, I don't really have a preference. There does seem to be some loss of functionality though, and reading through the thread, I haven't seen anyone say whether these are going to be permanent losses or just temporary. I'm talking about:

1. The inability to pan

2. The inability to zoom out beyond about 30 miles

I also noticed a change on the My Cache page and am wondering about the logic behind it. When I select one of the caches I've logged, rather than taking me to that cache's page, it takes me to the log I entered for that cache as a separate item. If I want to visit the cache page, I have to take another step to do so. Can someone give me an idea why this change was made? Since the cache page includes the log entry I made, this seems like an unnecessary additional step.

I'm sorry - I'm not usually a complainer, but I'm trying to figure these changes out and from the perspective of the way I have been using these features, it seems to me that I have lost functionality in one case and encountered unnecessary extra steps in the other. I've not become a member (yet) so I realize that I don't deserve a voice in these matters. I'm just trying to find out the why behind some of this.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

I used the new maps today for the first time, zooming out to see all of the nearby caches and the ones we have found.

I think this new feature is FANTASTIC.

icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gif

About two weeks ago, I had submitted an email asking of GC.com might consider doing maps like these. I was not aware that the project was in the works. This is better than I expected!

quote:
Originally posted by radical geezer:

I also noticed a change on the My Cache page and am wondering about the logic behind it. When I select one of the caches I've logged, rather than taking me to that cache's page, it takes me to the log I entered for that cache as a separate item. If I want to visit the cache page, I have to take another step to do so. Can someone give me an idea why this change was made? Since the cache page includes the log entry I made, this seems like an unnecessary additional step.

This is off topic, but I beleive this is to help make the new Archive option, Archive (No Show), more functional for cache owners. This allows you to archive a cache and hide all evidence of it's existance to the public. I don't think this will be used that often, but there are cases when caches were placed illegaly or in dangerous areas - as well as the fact that several States have guidelines (for State Parks, etc) that require users to remove all trace of the geocache from the internet listing service. By taking you to your log - you can still keep track of your finds (and totals). If the cache is active or Archived (Show) you can still access the page.

I agree it's an extra and seemingly unnecessary step. I'll also say I may be wrong - but that's all I can figure base on some of Jeremy's posts. There really should be a better explanation for changes - it leads to confusion. A lot of geocachers don't read the forums at all - and I'm sure a large number can't figure this out. It certainly seems to add an unnecessary step.

quote:

I've not become a member (yet) so I realize that I don't deserve a voice in these matters. I'm just trying to find out the why behind some of this.

I don't beleive that's true at all. You are a POTENTIAL member - gc.com is a business. Most business aim to please customers and potential customers. If they have depend only on their current customers they won't expand enough to provide more services.

Besides, you're not whining - those are valid points. The question is - do they effect enough people to warrant a change.

BTW - you can STILL go to the state page to access the OLD maps. I hope they are not removed - They are the main thing I use when planning my geocaching.

southdeltan

Is there any hope of getting any map details for us Canadians? The new maps are somewhat useful for us in that now we can now get a rough idea of where caches we have not found are (like we used to be able to with the old maps, which had more map detail for Canada than the new maps) but that's about it.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

Thanks, SouthDeltan. I understand the logic you outlined and see why it is a reasonable change even if it does produce the extra step in the way I normally use the feature. And I also had discovered that the previous version of the maps is still available. I'm glad for that because, like you, I use them extensively.

Glad my post was taken in the light in which it was intended - and you can be sure I'll be joining the member ranks as soon as the financial situation improves around here.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Is there any hope of getting _any_ map details for us Canadians? The new maps are somewhat useful for us in that now we can now get a rough idea of where caches we have not found are (like we used to be able to with the old maps, which had more map detail for Canada than the new maps) but that's about it.

Yes. Canada maps are much easier to come by. We're also working on getting a less detailed map for areas outside the US that, at a bare minimum, contain placenames and some bodies of water.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

We're also working on getting a less detailed map for areas outside the US that, at a bare minimum, contain placenames and some bodies of water.

Thank you.smile.gif I appreciate the efforts to maintain equally the whole playground. We'll be monitoring the progress.bad_boy_a.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

You guys weren't kidding - these new maps knocked my socks off! It is now so much easier to figure out a cache's general location from the nearby highways and land features than it was with the old maps. Sure, I'd like a different icon for my hides, but right now I can't stop zooming and panning and looking for pockets of caches that need finding. This was worth the wait - THANK YOU!!!!

Ok, I'll be the guy that asks - WHERE ARE THE MAPS?

I've always used (Find Nearest...) but want to take a looksie and see if I'm missing something or if there's a better way.

Somebody point me in the right direction please (be nice).

Nevermind, got it. Will check it out.

[This message was edited by Kealia on September 28, 2003 at 10:35 PM.]

I think the new maps are great. Thanks Jeremy for asking for opinions. I think you take a lot of undeserved crap from some posters on the boards. You have a lot more patience than I could ever muster. I would like to see my own caches identified in some way and a way to filter out the archives would also be nice.

My wife and I have had some wonderful experiences while Geocaching. Thank you for providing us with a great hobby that we can share.

Dewayne & Vickie

My thoughts:

1. Display your own caches as either 'found' or with a different colored checkmark

2. Simpler icons. It's hard to tell if that's 2 caches close together, or a multicache, or a multicache and a regular cache close together.

3. Remove archived caches from the map, or change it in some way, see #4:

4. Use the old map style of blue for cache, green for new cache. Add red for temp. unavailable.

5. Start out zoomed to about 15 miles. Starting at the entire state takes too many clicks to get to useful information. Starting at max zoom takes too many clicks to find nearby reference points.

Here is my local metro area at 15 miles:

51240_2300.GIF

This is about as far out as it is useful with the current icons.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

[This message was edited by Team GPSaxophone on September 29, 2003 at 10:17 AM.]

Hmm.. I'll see if I can address most of the requests.

1. The checkmarks now show for caches you own as well as found.

2. Disabled caches no longer show up as an icon on the map. Archived caches were never showing except for Identify.

3. We're working on a filter feature, where you can uncheck types for display on the map. You'll also be able to filter finds from the identify list, and filter disabled and archived caches. As an option you can view them for those who want to.

4. We'll be adding a regional local zoom feature so you can zoom in and out quickly.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I personally like the new maps, it gives me a quick view of the area I'm interested in going to, as well as the type of caches in the area. I have never used the maps for more then a reference point of other caches in the area. I never expected the map to show coords or route info. The icons are ok with me as I'm usually only intersted in traditional caches and with a quick view I can see which in the area I'd like to visit. I can see room for improvement, but this is a big step in the right direction.

Keep up the good work!!

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

We're still working on a regional -> local zoom feature, but we added "filter by" options on the map page.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

What exactly do you mean when you say regional? Is it a one step zoom from all the way in to all the way out? or larger?

Just wondering icon_smile.gif

I really like the new filter options.

southdeltan

quote:

5. Start out zoomed to about 15 miles. Starting at the entire state takes too many clicks to get to useful information. Starting at max zoom takes too many clicks to find nearby reference points.

Here is my local metro area at 15 miles:

For me (and several geocachers in my state, as well as some in the chatroom and forums) it's the opposite. The cache density is fairly low in rural states - it's useful for some people to be able to start at the state level and zoom in.

Here is my local zip code at 30 miles:

100957_600.GIF

Of course, I live in a fairly unpopulated part of my state, so I included our state capital (it's also at 30 miles, not 15):

100957_900.GIF

Jackson is one of the most cache dense areas in our state. There are probably 4 other areas that are close to the same density. Other than that, most of the geocaches are spread out over a large area.

southdeltan

[This message was edited by southdeltan on September 29, 2003 at 07:19 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

I personally like the new maps, it gives me a quick view of the area I'm interested in going to, as well as the type of caches in the area. I have never used the maps for more then a reference point of other caches in the area. I never expected the map to show coords or route info. The icons are ok with me as I'm usually only intersted in traditional caches and with a quick view I can see which in the area I'd like to visit. I can see room for improvement, but this is a big step in the right direction.

Keep up the good work!!

What he said! icon_smile.gif

Larebel

[This message was edited by Larebel on September 29, 2003 at 08:26 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

we added "filter by" options on the map page.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

When I unselect the "found by me" box, I would expect those caches not to appear on the map. Instead they appear without a check mark.

I think most cachers would expect that option to remove the caches they found from the map (as they are removed from the "locate" list.)

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

For me (and several geocachers in my state, as well as some in the chatroom and forums) it's the opposite. The cache density is fairly low in rural states - it's useful for some people to be able to start at the state level and zoom in.

Jackson is one of the most cache dense areas in our state. There are probably 4 other areas that are close to the same density. Other than that, most of the geocaches are spread out over a large area.

Wow! I thought New Mexico had very few caches. (less than 500) How is it close to I-10? I'm planning a trip through there for next June.

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

Ok, I'll be the guy that asks - WHERE ARE THE MAPS?

I've always used (Find Nearest...) but want to take a looksie and see if I'm missing something or if there's a better way.

Somebody point me in the right direction please (be nice).

_Nevermind, got it. Will check it out._

[This message was edited by Kealia on September 28, 2003 at 10:35 PM.]

I still did not find it!

How can I access these maps??

BigBird icon_smile.gif

CMLogo_Transparent_Dark_Medium.gif

Kudos Jeremy, I think the map is awesome!

Personally, I like the little icons, as opposed to just colored boxes. Not to nitpick, but the ghostie for virtuals seems a bit odd, but as I don't have a definate better suggestion for what to display virts as, (at least as a quickly recognizable icon), I'll live with it unless/until someone comes up with a better idea. It's still way better than guessing what type it is with those old blue/green boxes.

I'd think *maybe* a big blue 'V' for virtuals, but I don't know if that would be visually confusing with the checkmarks for found/owned caches (esp. for colorblind?)

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

quote:
Originally posted by BigBirdNL:

I still did not find it!

How can I access these maps??

BigBird icon_smile.gif

http://home.tiscali.nl/bigbird/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you considered this could be Jeremy's elaborate joke on the Dutch? He told the rest of us to go along with it... icon_wink.gif

Oh, never mind.

Go to a cache, find "Online maps". There is a new option for geocaching.com maps. Those are the new maps.

(There may be other ways to access them, but that's one I use...)

(But I think Jeremy does not (yet?) have maps outside the US, so these will probably be of limited value at the moment.)

Ok, the maps start out at mid-zoom, so I can easily see reference points like other caches and city/town names. It also has checkboxes to disable showing virtuals and other unwanted cache types. Great job so far!

(Flame me about virtuals in a different thread, there are several topics already started so no need to start a new one)