Alphabetical Index of User Names

*Earthling*

I would like to see this feature added to the Geocaching website; an albetical index of the user names of all registered cachers. If links were added to user profiles, then the info included in the index could be kept to a minimum. Altho, it would be nice to have the cacher's state or country listed with his/her user name.

As a compromise, even a profile search would be an improvement over the current system. Today, to find caches HIDDEN by a certain user, I need to first find the caches they've FOUND, go into one of those cache pages, find the user's log, click on the link to the user's profile, and then click on the link to caches hidden by that user. Four steps, four page loads on my slow dialup connection, more server hits.

If there was a box on the front page that said "Search user profiles", where you could enter a person's name and get a somewhat boolean search, that would be nice. For example, if I entered "Leprechaun" I would then see a list of profiles for The Leprechauns, Team Leprechaun, Leprechaun and Leprechauns (all actual account names, by the way!)

Another compromise solution is to utilize Dan's Stats Site, where you can view lists of geocachers in a particular country, state or city and see which caches they've found or hidden.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

As a compromise, even a profile search would be an improvement over the current system. Today, to find caches HIDDEN by a certain user, I need to first find the caches they've FOUND, go into one of those cache pages, find the user's log, click on the link to the user's profile, and then click on the link to caches hidden by that user. Four steps, four page loads on my slow dialup connection, more server hits.

Actually Lep if you know the user name you can skip right to the Hidden.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=Leprechauns If for Hides

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?ul=Leprechauns for finds.

Just change "Leprechauns" to whatever user you're looking for. The problem with this is that you have to the exact spelling.

quote:

For example, if I entered "Leprechaun" I would then see a list of profiles for The Leprechauns, Team Leprechaun, Leprechaun and Leprechauns (all actual account names, by the way!)

If you go to My pop, under contacts you can run a sort of search. But Leprechaun only came up with two members, and lep only finds three (Just ones that post in forum?? icon_confused.gif) And this is an infopop feature, not a gc.com feature, right?

Edit: Add MyPop info.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

[This message was edited by welch on February 28, 2003 at 04:14 PM.]