A puzzle

Gan Dalf

I found a coin today in a cache that has no tracking code associated with it. It is obviously a "Geocaching" coin. I found 15 caches today and unfortunately I can't rememebr exactly what cache I pulled it from, but have narrowed it down to about 7 or 8 most likelies. I've looked through the logs of those and can't see anything about anyone dropping it there in the last 5 or 6 logs. I can't imagine anyone seeing this coin and not grabbing it just as I did today.

The coin has two web sites associated with it, both lead to dead ends. The first is printed on the coin itself, www.newvikings.com. the second was on the sleeve that contains the coin, www.kvcoins.com.

Does anyone have any idea what/where this coin is/might have come from?

when I encounter most coins and bugs in caches, especially ones that get found infrequently like where I was caching today, I tend to take them to move them along. There was nothing associated with this coin to indicate that it had a special mission or that it shoul dbe left in the cahce. I'm hoping that someone here might recognize the websites and advise me on what I should do with it.

Thanks

It's a non trackable Traveling Viking geocoin, from many years prior. Like say 2005? It's swag, not a trackable. KVcoins was an old factory that folks used in past years to make geocoins for cheap.

TMA

That's what I was afraid of. Now I feel bad for not leaving somethign else in the cache after taking the coin. It's very nice... Almost makes me wich it was trackable. Maybe I'll attach a dog tag to it and release it as a TB. Thanks for the info.

Not a bad idea to stuff a small notebook (& pen) in your cachebag so you can jot down the tracking numbers of travelers you pick up and the caches you find them in or drop them into, in case you drop 'em off before you get the chance to log your finds or even the grab and drop. Always sucks to find you don't have the tracking number to fix mistakes made in the field after a powercache day.

Not a bad idea to stuff a small notebook (& pen) in your cachebag so you can jot down the tracking numbers of travelers you pick up and the caches you find them in or drop them into, in case you drop 'em off before you get the chance to log your finds or even the grab and drop. Always sucks to find you don't have the tracking number to fix mistakes made in the field after a powercache day.

I always write down the caches of trackables that I leave, and I never pick up a trackable and drop it in a cache during the same run before I log them out of the cache preferring to log them when I get home and can read more about their mission. Usually, if I find a coin in a cache that it is not logged in to, I can figure out the circumstances of how it got left where I found it without it being logged there and then I always log it in to the cache I found it in so that it gets it's proper milage.

When I saw this coin in the cache (even though I can't remember exactly which one it was) I remember thinking it was cool to find a coin there as I was not expecting it. I was more surprised when I got home and the coin did not have a tracking number on it. In over four years of caching and diligently moving coins and Travel Bugs, this is the first time this has happened to me where an obvious (to me) geocoin was not actually trackable...

I always write down the caches of trackables that I leave, and I never pick up a trackable and drop it in a cache during the same run before I log them out of the cache preferring to log them when I get home and can read more about their mission. Usually, if I find a coin in a cache that it is not logged in to, I can figure out the circumstances of how it got left where I found it without it being logged there and then I always log it in to the cache I found it in so that it gets it's proper milage.

When I saw this coin in the cache (even though I can't remember exactly which one it was) I remember thinking it was cool to find a coin there as I was not expecting it. I was more surprised when I got home and the coin did not have a tracking number on it. In over four years of caching and diligently moving coins and Travel Bugs, this is the first time this has happened to me where an obvious (to me) geocoin was not actually trackable...

When I find a coin in a cache I always assume it is a traveler. A couple of times though I was fooled. Since I didn't know which cache they had come from I "paid it forward" and left a bunch of swag in the next caches I found. Or you could leave the swag in a chae that doesn't have much of anything in it. If it's the coin I'm thinking of then it is a very cool coin and one I traded to get in my collection.