Permission for cache placement in public place

BeadyStu

Over the last few months I have seen caches appearing in places where there was no feasible way that the CO could have got permission. I have checked the rules and they refer to not breaking any local laws and regulations, which seems more applicable to the US. Could someone clarify for me what permission is needed to place a cache on a public footpath or attached to street furniture on a public highway in the UK?

Yes, but the rules say reviewers need to see that you have permission, and I've had to get permission from the NT for my first cache. Perhaps the rules are being tightened, any reviewer like/prepared to comment?

The reviewers simply do not have the time to check up on permission for all the caches that come through, they treat people as grown ups and for most caches will assume that as the CO has clicked on the box saying that suitable permission to place the cache has been sought, that it has been. They will normally spot obvious ones where it would not be possible to get permission.

The reviewers do check in greater depth for caches in specific locations including NT, SSSI's etc.

I think it's fair to say you have wondered into a Geocaching taboo.

To put it simply all caches 'officially' require permission from the landowner or appropriate person/organisation... but 'unofficially' most caches have no permission.

Yes, but the rules say reviewers need to see that you have permission, and I've had to get permission from the NT for my first cache. Perhaps the rules are being tightened, any reviewer like/prepared to comment?

It's a very complicated and confusing area.

For National Trust land and many others there is the need for the reviewer to keep exact details of permission. Outside these areas you need to reassure the reviewer that you have adequate permission, but don't need to give details.

There are details at Follow The Arrow. The Groundspeak guidelines on geocaching.com are US-based so don't really help a lot. For instance, all UK land is "private land" but we have different laws and attitudes to access and trespassing.

I've no idea how many caches are being listed when they have no permission; I guess that it's a lot smaller a proportion than a few years ago. But there are a lot of places where it would be virtually impossible to obtain permission and where placing (and seeking) a cache is going to cause no problem at all. That's down to common sense and local knowledge.