Changing status of a trackable.

domromer

I found and took a trackable. I logged in on site with my phone but somehow i clicked discovered instead of grabbed it. Is there a way to change that back to grabbed it? In the mean time I dropped it off into one of my own caches but since I discovered it. Its not showing up in the caches inventory...is there a way to remedy this?

"Is there a way to remedy this?" Only if you still have a note of the tracking number of the item.

When you find a trackable in a cache and you retrieve it you should use the "retrieved from" log.

If you see a trackable somewhere (e.g. in a cache or in another cacher's hands) but you don't take it, that's when you do a "discovered it" log.

If you don't have a note of the tracking number is it possible you could go and get the tracking number if your cache is fairly nearby?

Further instructions depend on whether or not you have that vital tracking number - please post again to let us know! :)

MrsB

Ahha. David Garrett tag, eh?

As these were released as already activated promotional travel tags then I wouldn't worry too much about this one. If you do go back to the park for it I would suggest removing the plastic bag with the info about how to activate it - It will only confuse somebody else later on and it's not needed.

If you get the tracking number from it you can then use that number to do a "grab it from somewhere else" log which will move it "into your hands" and it will be in your inventory. Then you can immediately go back to your log for the cache where you dropped it off, edit that log, select "dropped off" for the tag, re-submit that log... and the tag will then be showing correctly in that cache inventory.

MrsB :)

if all that you did was discover it, then it should still be listed on the GC.com website as being in the original geocache that you took it from

meaning that the two most recent logs on the trackable page are -

the "drop" log that got it into the geocache

- followed by -

the "discover" log that you did by accident

if this is the case, you can fix things up by doing the following -

1. get the tracking code (from the item, or from the owner)

2. do a "retrieve" for the item online

3. do a "drop" into the geocache where you left it

(you can do this via editing your "found it" log for the geocache, or by posting a "note" log)

optionally, you could then delete your discover log from the trackable page, and delete your note from the geocache page (if you did the drop via a note)

hopefully, the trackable item has not since been taken from the geocache where you left it