Is REI *really* overpriced?

user13371

They are expensive. But for important purchases, I don't care. They have saved me hundreds of dollars over the years by letting me return my mistakes. They took my Colorado 400T back, no questions asked. I replaced it with a 60CSx. I had used the Colorado for about a month. I bought a $200 pair of winter boots from them once that never did feel right. The eyelets rubbed on my angle bone, making it unbearably sore. The gal in the shoe area spent almost an hour hammering on it in an attempt to soften the leather. That didn't work, so I brought them in again, for more of same. Still didn't work. A full year later, I went back to buy a new pair, figuring I'd just have to "eat" the old ones that I couldn't wear. I mentioned them to the clerk, who told me to return them. Again, returned with a smile, and no questions. They are great, the staff is knowledgeable and helpful, and I am willing to vote with my wallet for that sort of store.

Considering the cost of gas and time spent maybe you should find a store who sells you the right product the first time.

A person should never buy boots that do no feel right, they are never going to get better. When I was selling boots I would gat an customer once in a while that would onlky look at price, these customers always thought the boots would get better over time, they were always wrong. If the boot don't fit-don't buy it. It is not always the fault of the boot seller. As a seller you can only do so much to halp a person make a proper purchase, but the sellers always get blamed for a bad fit.

In my case, they felt fine when I was trying them on in the store. It was only after being out and about for a few hours that I would become sensitized to the pressure of the rivet on the lacehook .

I was thinking more of big ticket items though; it'd take YEARS to earn back the membership fee if all I got dividends on was those socks...

Most of my sock drawer is filled with Thorlo and Smart Wool socks :laughing:

The biggest ticket items I've bought at REI (leaving GPSr's out of the equation), are my mountain bike and several generation of tents. As of late, our local REI has been carrying more "lightweight" gear, and their recent edition of Big Agnes designed tents provoked us to pick up the three person Copper Spur :wub:

big-agnes-copper-spur-ul2-tent.jpg

...and since this is a Geocaching Forum, I'll add that we used the tent on our recent hike on the Kalalau Trail on Kauai, for what probably is one of the longest and most difficult DNF's I've ever done :rolleyes:

3) The return policy is the best on the planet. No questions asked, although they might write a snarky comment about your lame excuses on the return tag (they have a secret wall of shame).

Here's the wall of shame at my local REI. Every time I go into the store, I feel so ashamed that I've let myself get too badly out of shape to even dare try it:

265871-largest_6770.jpg

3) The return policy is the best on the planet. No questions asked, although they might write a snarky comment about your lame excuses on the return tag (they have a secret wall of shame).

Here's the wall of shame at my local REI. Every time I go into the store, I feel so ashamed that I've let myself get too badly out of shape to even dare try it:

265871-largest_6770.jpg

Dang, we must have a weenie REI, ours doesn't have a climbing wall :mad:

I'm not sure that they are really more expensive than anywhere else as most of their stuff is high end and seems to be the same price at Cabela's, Scheel's, etc. I do love their brand of clothing. I've had two pairs of the zip of leg pants for about 4 years that still look new. Sadly they don't make them the same way (style) anymore. I've also scored some great stuff at their garage sales. I got two pairs of North Face pants for $20 and my husband scored a pair of waterproof Merell's that were normally $120 for $20. Someone had returned them, they had a little bit of dirt on the soles and that was it. I shopped around for my GPS, it was the same price at REI, so I bought it there (Garmin Map60Csx). I'm pretty sure I did get the dividend from it.

Edited by LostinReno

I know I'm paying top dollar, but in the last 3 years I've returned 2 Oregon 300s and one 450 their return policy is enough to keep me going back.

I bought my 550t there and didn't know about the return policy... I pulled the unit out of my backpack and found it had a cracked screen. I ended up sending it off to Garmin and after over a 100 dollar repair from them, I was talking to an REI employee who said I could have just returned it... lesson learned!

:(

REI is not different then any other store...it up to the consumer to know what they are buying. Name brand items like The North Face, Werner Paddles etc, I have found to be almost equally priced as any where else. I won't buy items like North Face on ebay or other smaller on line stores due to the amount of counterfeit products. I know I am getting what I pay for at REI. I can find some stuff cheaper if on sale etc....but that not anything different from any other store. As other have said, their customer service and return policy is outstanding. This past summer, I made a major change in my kayak stroke going from low to high angle. I purchased 3 Werner carbon fiber paddles of different size, and shafts. I kept the one I wanted after trying all three for a day and return the other two with out a problem. I don't always trust the sales people advice. Their return policy is really your guarantee you are getting the right product, more than the advice from a clerk. I appreciate any retailer with such a policy, that would maximize the opportunity for me to get what I want/need.

Yes, REI can be more expensive than online retailers for items.

However, I have gotten great deals on closeouts and clearance items. $100 jacket for $60 (cheaper than anywhere I've seen), $60 hiking pants for $30. A local cacher got an Old Town Vapor 10xt kayak at one of the garage sales for under $300.

Things like shoes I will never buy online. Being able to try them on and get the right fit (without having to continuously return them to an online retailer) is worth the extra few dollars.

Personally, I will never set foot inside another REI. I had gone in to purchase boots and possibly caching supplies and, I had hoped, a roll of camo tape. It was about all I could do to get anyone to ask if I needed help, which is odd... I am 6'1" tall, 225lb, shaved head and covered in tattoos, 99% of all stores are clamoring to get a person near me to make sure I am not stealing thing, but REI just ignored me. 3rd person I said "excuse me" to finally asked if there was something I need. When I said I was hoping they had camo tape somewhere, the staff member looked me in the eye and said, "No, we don't cater to the Hook and Bullet crowd. We used to, but it isn't really worth it"

Being an avid fisherman and hunter I was stunned. The hook and bullet crowd? Seriously? I put back the items I had in hand and quietly walked out of the store. That was 45 minutes of my life that I will never get back... I am not one who gets offended easily, nor do I buy into the PC concept, but dang, that was just ridiculous!

SO there will be no REI shopping, nor items, in my future.

I wonder if this is the REI view or a quaint view of an isolated employee ?

I like to fish and shoot ( I don't hunt )....if that PC junk is coming from REI I wouldn't buy there even if it was cheaper.

I might add that this is the first negative thing I have EVER heard regarding fishing.

I haven't bought a lot from REI, but I think they have a lot of good stuff. I've found some good deals on REI. I've also found some rather expensive things on REI.

15% is better than 0%. If you want something cheap, there's a lot of places to buy cheap stuff. I'm a little more willing to buy something expensive if it's worth it, as long as I'm not forking out cash just fork out cash.

...As far as the REI credit card I would stay away from that. Even if you pay it off each month to avoid the interest just having the card will have a negative impact on your credit rating...

That would be good to know, if it's really true. How much of a negative impact?

I currently have three credit cards, only two of which I regularly use. No debt to speak of, credit cards get paid off in full each month. No mortgage or auto loans either. My Equifax and TransUnion scores are both in the very top brackets.

How many points will I lose if I apply for an REI card? And what is the real impact of that on my regular finances?

credit aganecies look at how much unsecurded credit a person has access to. The higher this number the lower the credit rating.

265871-largest_6770.jpg

Dang, we must have a weenie REI, ours doesn't have a climbing wall :mad:

I'm not sure that they are really more expensive than anywhere else as most of their stuff is high end and seems to be the same price at Cabela's, Scheel's, etc. I do love their brand of clothing. I've had two pairs of the zip of leg pants for about 4 years that still look new. Sadly they don't make them the same way (style) anymore. I've also scored some great stuff at their garage sales. I got two pairs of North Face pants for $20 and my husband scored a pair of waterproof Merell's that were normally $120 for $20. Someone had returned them, they had a little bit of dirt on the soles and that was it. I shopped around for my GPS, it was the same price at REI, so I bought it there (Garmin Map60Csx). I'm pretty sure I did get the dividend from it.

the only REI store that have climbing walls are their flagship stores. REI has a lot of what they call satellite stores that are clos to of in Malls, these stores are two small for a climbing walls and these stores also have a smaller selection of merchandise. There is one REI with a climbing wall near me in Sacramento and two small ones. I go to the big one.

We shop at REI on occasion — in fact we ride our bikes down into Denver when the weather is warm and always stop there to look around and enjoy a Starbucks that is within the building. We feel the quality of their items is first rate and the customer service cannot be beat. The flagship store in Denver has one of those walls but it's a little wimpy for my rock-climbing spouse and kids (not me, though).

Have one of those Garmin Colorados got it about a year ago... haven't used it very much, so far it has been okay... am starting to panic at some of those posts about those that returned theirs.

credit aganecies look at how much unsecurded credit a person has access to. The higher this number the lower the credit rating.

I think you're confusing debt with credit. If I'm carrying a lot of unsecured debt (I owe a lot of money) it would hurt my credit rating. But if I have a lot of available credit (not in debt, folks are willing to lend me money), it's exactly the opposite of what you're saying. And in that case, applying for a new credit card is a non-issue.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

I think you're confusing debt with credit. If I'm carrying a lot of unsecured debt (I owe a lot of money) it would hurt my credit rating. But if I have a lot of available credit (not in debt, folks are willing to lend me money), it's exactly the opposite of what you're saying. And in that case, applying for a new credit card is a non-issue.

This is going OT but what JohnnyVegas said originally was actually correct and not your assumption. In fact one of the first thing that credit aganecies advise you to do is eliminate as many of the credit cards (unsecured debt) as you can in order to raise your credit limit, expecially if you are not carrying any debt on them.

The reasoning is simple. If you have 10 credit cards, all with no balance on them and all with a credit limit of say (for arguments sake) $5000, and you apply for a loan for a new car or a house, you are then free to turn around and take out $50K in debt while still owing the money on the loan you just took out making it much more likely that you will then default on the loan.

It is somewhat of a catch-22. You need good credit in order to take out a loan, you need a loan in order to secure good credit but if you have too much credit available at your disposal, that you got because you have a good credit rating, then your credit rating goes down.

With credit cards it's not that big of a deal, those are easy to get, even if your credit is not that great. When it becomes a problem is when you try to buy something bigger like a car, baot or home. Those loans actually want you to owe as little as possible to other people and to limit your ability to borrow more to ensure that the loans they've floated you are paid off.

ForbesMan & JohnnyVegas, your generalized statemewnts don't match my real experience. I have a very high credit score, and according to Experian some of my favorable factors are:

- two or more major credit cards open

- high credit limit

- total balance on all credit cards is relatively low compared to total available credit limit

- good cushion of available credit between current balance and credit limits on all open trades

So an agency that actually issued my credit score is saying the exact opposite to what you're saying. Who should I believe?

To drag this kicking and screaming back on topic (is that even possible?) applying for an REI card will not likely affect my score at all -- and the only way applying for a credit card could hurt someone's score is if they already had some other credit problems.

Two months ago my 7 year old daughter was able to ring the bell at that very REI store. :ph34r: I keep my rock climbing in the woods where no one can laugh at me on the way up.

I have a couple of comments about REI, let me start by saying I don't really think this thread belongs in this forum.

OK, that said.....

REI built a store on Long Island, right across the road from EMS. I was a little bummed because now that they had a store in NY I would have to pay tax. But anyway I digress. As a bicycling club officer I was invited to their private grand opening. They spoke about how they partner with the community and they seemed very excited to take part in our different charitable endeavors. And darned if they didn't stand behind their word! Not only did they donate a bike mechanic to my club's signature ride, they gave us gift certificates for our raffle and a huge bag of giveaway water bottles for our participants. I attended a trails day event at the Greenbelt Trail center and REI was there, they helped with the cleanup, provided t-shirts and give aways for all the volunteers and also raffled off some gift cards. They were at a CITO type event in Prospect Park in Brooklyn, I call it like because it wasn't a caching event but they did clean up at the park and trails there.They have free classes and clinics, even had a Geocaching 101 led by my Geo pal Heather of The Ferreteers. They put their money where their mouths are. I've been a long time shopper at EMS and not once have they contacted any of the local organizations I am part of to offer help or support. I believe the membership was a one time $20 fee. Well worth it to me to be a member if only to support all the good they are doing in our community. As far as the Dolphin thinking their staff is annoying, a simple I don't need any help thanks should send them on their way. But....they really are very knowledgeable and as someone said they are active folks who use the products in the store.

Generally I look for the lowest price when buying shoes, and sometimes it's one place, sometimes another. Campmor, REI or EMS all have fabulous customer service. I too had a pair that felt fine till I wore them the first time hiking in ice with yak trax and the eyelet was cutting into my shin. I went back to EMS to ask if there was anything I could do to make them fit and they said return them, we want you to be satisfied.

Campmor rocks, and I've had them price match stuff I find cheaper.

...let me start by saying I don't really think this thread belongs in this forum...

The original question was relevant though :D

Restating the original question: Is the 10% member dividend (and an additional 5% if you use an REI Visa card) enouogh to offset the high list prices REI shows for most GPS gear? The only way to figure that out would be to routinely spot check various models pricing through the other usual suspects.

Didn't look for a blanket yes or no. Maybe it could be even more generalized as "What would you consider a 'bargain price' on a new GPS?" Is 10% or 15% off of MSRP enough, or do you usually look for a deeper discount?

Asked that way, it's not even specific to REI; could apply to any dealer that offers a loyalty/membership discount.

Didn't look for a blanket yes or no. Maybe it could be even more generalized as "What would you consider a 'bargain price' on a new GPS?" Is 10% or 15% off of MSRP enough, or do you usually look for a deeper discount?

The several GPSr that I have bought from REI were all below MSRP. Recently the have the Oregon 450 for $249.99 and it had a $50 rebate from Garmin. Hard to find a price that low. They are a retail store, so it's unfair to say they are overpriced as I have never seen them to sell over MSRP.

But today the Oregon 450 is $247 at Amazon while it's $300 (at REI. Knock 15% dividend off (assuming both a member dividend and bought onan REI Visa card) and Amazon would still be a few bucks lower -- but without REI's service/return policy. So this one spot check is a pretty close thing. Is/was the Garmin coupon an REI exclusive?

But today the Oregon 450 is $247 at Amazon while it's $300 (at REI. Knock 15% dividend off (assuming both a member dividend and bought onan REI Visa card) and Amazon would still be a few bucks lower -- but without REI's service/return policy. So this one spot check is a pretty close thing. Is/was the Garmin coupon an REI exclusive?

You don't work for REI, do you?

And here it is MSRP of US$399.99 from Garmin

Once it craps out you will find that 300 is less than 247 when you pay that out of warranty repair fee on the Amazon purchase. It's call loosing dollars chasing pennies.

You don't work for REI, do you?

Nope. I do shop there for some things, but most of the time their prices on big-ticket stuff seem higher than other places. What I'm trying to scope out here is if the dividend actually makes them competitive on pricing. And the answer to that seems to be, um, "it depoends" ...

How about REI vs. Cabellas?

Dunno, haven't shopped Cabellas before.

I'd really like something like CameCamelCamel to offer side by side graphs from more online shopping sites. They cover Amazon BestBuy, NewEgg and a couple others, but each is on a separate tab -- would love to see those kinds of graphs overlaid all on one page. There might be a way to do that already there and I just haven't figgered it out yet.

They are expensive. But for important purchases, I don't care. They have saved me hundreds of dollars over the years by letting me return my mistakes. They took my Colorado 400T back, no questions asked. I replaced it with a 60CSx. I had used the Colorado for about a month. I bought a $200 pair of winter boots from them once that never did feel right. The eyelets rubbed on my angle bone, making it unbearably sore. The gal in the shoe area spent almost an hour hammering on it in an attempt to soften the leather. That didn't work, so I brought them in again, for more of same. Still didn't work. A full year later, I went back to buy a new pair, figuring I'd just have to "eat" the old ones that I couldn't wear. I mentioned them to the clerk, who told me to return them. Again, returned with a smile, and no questions. They are great, the staff is knowledgeable and helpful, and I am willing to vote with my wallet for that sort of store.

Considering the cost of gas and time spent maybe you should find a store who sells you the right product the first time.

A person should never buy boots that do no feel right, they are never going to get better. When I was selling boots I would gat an customer once in a while that would onlky look at price, these customers always thought the boots would get better over time, they were always wrong. If the boot don't fit-don't buy it. It is not always the fault of the boot seller. As a seller you can only do so much to halp a person make a proper purchase, but the sellers always get blamed for a bad fit.

In my case, they felt fine when I was trying them on in the store. It was only after being out and about for a few hours that I would become sensitized to the pressure of the rivet on the lacehook .

When I was selling boots I would tell people to wear them around the house for a few hours before going out on a long hike, in most cases that would give a good indication of how a boot was going to work out. Myself I buy Vasque boots most of the time, but I do have a pair of La Sportiva and a pair of Montrail boots that fit me correctly for my feet.

No they look at credit cards as a way a person can become very highly in debt in a very short period of time. If a person has $50,000 in available credit card debt there is nothing to stop them from maxing those cards out in a very short period of time.