Montana Battery Life?

moose drool

What have you guys been seeing with both the Li-Ion and AA? Also mention what type and brand of AA's. What settings are you using?

Approximate Average times:

Battery Save mode ON:

12 hours - Li-Ion.

18 hours - Eneloop 2100mAh NIMH

Battery Save mode OFF:

8-10 hours - Li-Ion

14 hours - Eneloop 2100mAh NIMH

Notes: These times vary alot with screen use, backlighting, compass use etc. The Montana has a very good processor for running that big screen and the battery save mode can really reduce power consumption by giving it a break.

Edited by yogazoo

What have you guys been seeing with both the Li-Ion and AA? Also mention what type and brand of AA's. What settings are you using?

I used the Montana for a ride that lasted from about 0830 and at about 1730 it was reporting a battery life somewhere around 10%. That would suggest an overall life of about 10 hours using the lithium battery. (Edit: that was with battery save mode off, I find it irritating)

I haven't used it for any length of time on AA batteries so can't comment on that.

Edited by team tisri

I did a long trail mix with a group Sat. from 9-5:30. Found over 40 caches and marked them as found, edited comments on 3 of them, and used both the map and the compass on all of them. Never turned it off, had the backlight set to 15 seconds (I think) and battery save on. When I finished I still had 20% left (plugged it in when I got home and it read 20% when charging).

I did a long trail mix with a group Sat. from 9-5:30. Found over 40 caches and marked them as found, edited comments on 3 of them, and used both the map and the compass on all of them. Never turned it off, had the backlight set to 15 seconds (I think) and battery save on. When I finished I still had 20% left (plugged it in when I got home and it read 20% when charging).

Translation:

Battery Save mode ON - about 12 hours.

Edited by yogazoo

Just what I was looking for, ty. I also use the Enloops in another device. I wonder how 2800's would do...

I always carry a set of rechargeables when I go out (carry over from my Oregon days) and have only had to put them in on a couple of occasions when I was out for a whole day. The installed battery seems to do a great job.

I turned on my Montana last night before a walk a 9pm (100% charged). Well I got busy and never made it out for the walk. When I left for work this morning at 8am I noticed the unit was still on with 38% battery left. The diplay was on the main menu screen.

That's 11 hours on with 38% still remaining. That calculates out to 18 hours of operational time. Battery life apparently depends alot on how it's used. Just sitting there receiving location info doesn't use much juice at all.

Edited by yogazoo

I turned on my Montana last night before a walk a 9pm (100% charged). Well I got busy and never made it out for the walk. When I left for work this morning at 8am I noticed the unit was still on with 38% battery left. The diplay was on the main menu screen.

That's 11 hours on with 38% still remaining. That calculates out to 18 hours of operational time. Battery life apparently depends alot on how it's used. Just sitting there receiving location info doesn't use much juice at all.

I have an even better one than that. The other day when you were talking about the barometer issues, i was going to do the same test as you. I turned on my fully charged montana and was about to make some setting changes when I had to rush out, forgetting all about it. It wasnt till the next evening, (24 hrs later) when i sat down at my desk, that I touched the screen and realized it was left on and still showed 11%.

It wasnt till the next evening, (24 hrs later) when i sat down at my desk, that I touched the screen and realized it was left on and still showed 11%.

WOW, what screen was left on or was it in battery save mode?

Yes it was in battery save mode, with the screen blanked until I touched it at which point I saw that it was just on the geocaching main menu.

On 12/18/2011 at 12:25 PM, yogazoo said:

Approximate Average times:

Battery Save mode ON:

12 hours - Li-Ion.

18 hours - Eneloop 2100mAh NIMH

Battery Save mode OFF:

8-10 hours - Li-Ion

14 hours - Eneloop 2100mAh NIMH

Old post, still useful . . . thanks! :)

A bit disappointed in the Li-Ion so this data helps.