Advanced Geocoin Trading Gallery and Tool

dimkasmir

First of all, thanks for doing this. I like the idea of it.

Is there a way to delete a coin that I've added to my list? Example...I added the CacheHawk - AB, but I actually own the AC, so I'd like to delete that from my keeper list.

I have to say, I'm confused about the "Edition" listing. To my mind, all coins have a name (the official name being the one you get from gc.com BEFORE activating it). That name is the only name for the coin. Each coin may have many versions and finishes, but they should all be kept under a separate subheading.

I hope I'm making sense... :D

IMO, You must put a zero in the box Keeping.

In Edition put the finish.

How I've been treating Edition is that if there is no official edition name, then I enter the finish. If there is an official edition name (many vendors do this these days), then I enter the Edition Name and I put the finish in brackets so that it is clear)

The other way Editions are/can be treated is that they're called Standard or Regular Edition, Limited Edition, Extra Limited Edition, Artist Edition, OR in the case of the Multi-Event and Multi Participate coins it could be Space Coast Edition, or Canterbury Edition, etc - in which case I use that.

I am guilty of cross using these 2 ways of doing it.

This is exactly what I had in mind with the editions. Hopefully it's not too confusing and will be a good way of organizing coins in the long run.

Ok!, as says imoutanabout, there are only one official name for each design, it's the name in the icons data base at Groundspeak. In Edition we can put the version (finish/color/...etc.), and finally, if needed we can add RE, LE, SE, ...etc

On the other hand, for most of the early coins there are only one version, so it's not necessary put data the Edition or version, because they are already in the specifications of the coin, ...however you can add it [:)]

Edited by manu luq

*Bump*

This is turning out to be quite a handy tool/database. The only drawback right now is the size as the coins need to be input to use it. I have been trying to add at least one or two coins/editions a day but could use some additional people to add. The entries don't have to have photos to start with and can be added later if that is what is causing people to shy away from additional entries.

Geocointrader.net

Thanks dimkasmir for starting this!

I agree with scificollector, and I know I haven't been great at submitting myself. OK, here's an idea...

Would I be allowed to host a cointest, where each coin entry is a cointest entry? dimkasmir, would you be able to identify the persons that have submitted each entry, and provide some sort of list of IDs of the approved entries, so that I could do a draw? If not, perhaps we could allow people to post in a thread each time they have submitted a coin entry?

The cointest hasn't started - I'm hoping for feedback on the feasibility of such a cointest first, before I fix the time frame, prize, etc.

*Bump*

This is turning out to be quite a handy tool/database. The only drawback right now is the size as the coins need to be input to use it. I have been trying to add at least one or two coins/editions a day but could use some additional people to add. The entries don't have to have photos to start with and can be added later if that is what is causing people to shy away from additional entries.

Geocointrader.net

Thanks dimkasmir for starting this!

I agree. I really like this site, and I've enjoyed adding coins...I just don't have the ability to add photos just now so I've slowed down on adding new ones. I'll start adding again.

I've added a few new ones (without photos yet)...but I don't see them in the gallery?

I think all data entries should be approved

Ahh...ok, I'll wait.

Sometimes it does take a day or two before he looks and approves the editions.

I love this project and just registered. I am trying to add the coins i own and but waiting for approval before i can see, edit or check the coins i added is slowing things down considerably. Maybe coins not yet approved can be visible for the "creator" only, lets say at his acount tabs, so he can check and edit coins/ editions. Maybe a button "send for approval" will also be helpfull also so the site owner does not have to aprove "incomplete" records.

Regards,

Dave

Sorry guys, I know I'm a little behind on approving. All the newly added coins will be moderated no later than tomorrow. I might make it so that the submitter can edit a coin even before it's been approved in the future.

Mamoreb, your idea about a cointest sounds awesome! Thank you for offering to do this! I can update the website so that it records who submits each coin this weekend, and I will get in touch with you then to work out the details.

Ok...I submitted 2 new photos for coins. The CacheHawk Antique Copper and the WMA Vest RE Nickel. I resized them to 200 x 200 (as I thought they were supposed to be) but they're much smaller than all the others. Should I resubmit them at 500 x 500 (as it looks like the rest are)?

I assumed that the size has to be a minimum of 200 x 200. All my photos are quite a bit larger that that.

Ok...I submitted 2 new photos for coins. The CacheHawk Antique Copper and the WMA Vest RE Nickel. I resized them to 200 x 200 (as I thought they were supposed to be) but they're much smaller than all the others. Should I resubmit them at 500 x 500 (as it looks like the rest are)?

I assumed that the size has to be a minimum of 200 x 200. All my photos are quite a bit larger that that.

Resubmitted both at 500x500

Can someone please walk me through the process of adding pictures properly and in the correct resolution. I am trying to get photos with the 10 10 10 coins I entered. Basically I scanned the coins in a box size of approximately 2.2in x 2.2in at 600 dpi. on my printer. I placed these in iPhoto. I then referenced these files on the coin edit page. Does not appear to have worked.

Can someone please walk me through the process of adding pictures properly and in the correct resolution. I am trying to get photos with the 10 10 10 coins I entered. Basically I scanned the coins in a box size of approximately 2.2in x 2.2in at 600 dpi. on my printer. I placed these in iPhoto. I then referenced these files on the coin edit page. Does not appear to have worked.

They may be added but until they get approval they won't show up. He has been coming by every couple of days and approving all the additions and changes.

They may be added but until they get approval they won't show up. He has been coming by every couple of days and approving all the additions and changes.

That could be the deal, but I entered the pictures at the same time as the coin, and the coin was approved 2 days ago.

That could be the deal, but I entered the pictures at the same time as the coin, and the coin was approved 2 days ago.

It has happened to me also. You probably forgot to mask out the tracking code =)

/Fredrik

Tracking code on edge. I'll email owner. Does scanning and entering process sound correct? It's a jpeg image also.

Sometimes it feels like I am the only one using this page =)

It would be nice to get some trading functions. It woud be great to get some kind of notification if I have a "traders" coin and someone is seeking it.

Another nice feature would be if I coud make a collection of coins I coud get hold on and get a notification if someone want one of those.

/Fredrik

Sometimes it feels like I am the only one using this page =)

It would be nice to get some trading functions. It woud be great to get some kind of notification if I have a "traders" coin and someone is seeking it.

Another nice feature would be if I coud make a collection of coins I coud get hold on and get a notification if someone want one of those.

/Fredrik

If you go to a coins specific page and click on the "Seeking" tab. It will show you all the people who are looking for that particular coin. From there you can click on the name of the person to see what they have for traders. You can contact other users from the main page under the users tab.

I think this website would be a boon to a lot of collectors out there but currently it is very slow to update. If the designer needs some admins to help him approve editions to get this project rolling, I would happily volunteer. The biggest current detriment to the project is the length of time it takes to get an edition approved (imho).

If you go to a coins specific page and click on the "Seeking" tab. It will show you all the people who are looking for that particular coin. From there you can click on the name of the person to see what they have for traders. You can contact other users from the main page under the users tab.

Sure, but I woud like that the system itself suggested trades. Not many users now, but if we get this thing flying...

I think this website would be a boon to a lot of collectors out there but currently it is very slow to update. If the designer needs some admins to help him approve editions to get this project rolling, I would happily volunteer. The biggest current detriment to the project is the length of time it takes to get an edition approved (imho).

I would also volunteer, as long as somebody else reviewed my submissions. =)

/Fredrik

Sure, but I woud like that the system itself suggested trades. Not many users now, but if we get this thing flying...

/Fredrik

I have actually been spending a lot of time recently working on the features that you are talking about. They are pretty complex due to the algorithmic aspect, but I hope to soon release them so that trades will be "auto"-arranged.

I would definitely really appreciate it if people could volunteer to help approve coins. Please email me through my profile if you are interested, and I will give you admin privileges and explain how the approval system works. Thank you!

Some input from here...

I spent a while thinking about how to do a database myself (and posted a year ago about it as well somewhere around here).

My motivation was not to maintain my poor "collection" of about 20 items. When I found the first geocoin in 2006, I thought to myself: "Don't even start to collect - you'll get poor" (and I think it was the right thought). My interest was rather to collect information about the beautiful stuff that was produced - I started to get more serious just before the Geocoinfest in Cologne(2011) and - part of - because of it.

I found a lot of those databases/data collecting pages in the internet - but nothing seemed to be complete, some were partly inaccurate, or (sadly) not maintained anymore.

One day I heard a girl at an event say "I like to collect coins with butterflies" - so I thought: how do you find out, what coins do have butterflies? Is there a way? Civil War, Colorado State - name any interest...

Then I came across the issue of the icons. There are icons that feature several editions of the same coin (that's the case with most of them). There are a lot of icons that feature different coins of a series of coins (like the Moun10Bike icon). Some contain even several coins that don't even have hardly anything in common (like the first Personal Geocoin icon). Sometimes different editions of the same coin have different icons (like Compass Rose 2006). Conclusion: Don't sort by icons - there are non-trackables anyway.

To make a long story short: This project featured here so far comes pretty close to what I imagined.

Anyway - I'd like to introduce the results of my poor programming skills to you - maybe there are some ideas you like enough to integrate into this project.

I just created a plain entry spot here

If you like to see what the categorization could look like with pictures I populated some images for this random page use this image link

If you see a "next" link in the top right corner, you can use it to browse through my history of stuff put in.

Some information about my way of collecting information:

In fact I do walk along the icon list by Groundspeak (you may know that the icon-gif-files are numbered, having an offset of about 135), because that way I think I get the most possible amount of coins that are listed there and kind of in order. Last week I reached icon number 600, which was introduced in fall 2006. Whenever I come across some later icons that make sense to put in, I did. If I find some non-trackable items, I put them in, too.

Therefore I think my database is almost complete if you look for Groundspeak-trackables before fall 2006.

To see all so far collected (and tagged) coins from 2006 that say "2006" on them (there are some that don't), click here.

And this page shows only one edition for each coin (e.g. not all metals)! (this is a strong suggestion for your project!)

Still, today there are 5600 icons and more than 6 years ahead of me, if I really wanted to continue...

So far I found 750 different coin layouts (molds, dies, concepts, you name what I mean) that came in about 1550 different editions (versions, metals,...).

About 500 of them are currently tagged - because of a restructuring of my tagging concept, I didn't complete the necessary "do it again routine".

I thought about asking for help with it, but the main problem seems to be to keep people helping... plus I don't have the time to learn to program an implementation for it.

Another question: Most people just want to maintain their collections. Is this kind of data pool really needed?

Be aware that my information might be wrong (there are even some editions that I marked "hoax?", because I am not convinced they exist...).

Some names I changed slightly to avoid confusion or to unify the names of a series that wasn't intented to be a series from day one...

Still I think most people would rather use a category tree than a name search - just to be sure they get what they look for... This is why I don't have a name search.

Feedback appreciated :-D

Edit for link enabeling

Edited by JoergWausW

/Fredrik

I have actually been spending a lot of time recently working on the features that you are talking about. They are pretty complex due to the algorithmic aspect, but I hope to soon release them so that trades will be "auto"-arranged.

I would definitely really appreciate it if people could volunteer to help approve coins. Please email me through my profile if you are interested, and I will give you admin privileges and explain how the approval system works. Thank you!

Email sent.

I am now on the admins for the site and can approve submissions. I generally am on the site at least once in the morning and for a couple hours in the evening so approvals should have quick turnaround as long as the required information is correct. Please contribute if you can so we can get this site jump started again. Thanks. :)

Some input from here...

I spent a while thinking about how to do a database myself (and posted a year ago about it as well somewhere around here).

My motivation was not to maintain my poor "collection" of about 20 items. When I found the first geocoin in 2006, I thought to myself: "Don't even start to collect - you'll get poor" (and I think it was the right thought). My interest was rather to collect information about the beautiful stuff that was produced - I started to get more serious just before the Geocoinfest in Cologne(2011) and - part of - because of it.

I found a lot of those databases/data collecting pages in the internet - but nothing seemed to be complete, some were partly inaccurate, or (sadly) not maintained anymore.

One day I heard a girl at an event say "I like to collect coins with butterflies" - so I thought: how do you find out, what coins do have butterflies? Is there a way? Civil War, Colorado State - name any interest...

Then I came across the issue of the icons. There are icons that feature several editions of the same coin (that's the case with most of them). There are a lot of icons that feature different coins of a series of coins (like the Moun10Bike icon). Some contain even several coins that don't even have hardly anything in common (like the first Personal Geocoin icon). Sometimes different editions of the same coin have different icons (like Compass Rose 2006). Conclusion: Don't sort by icons - there are non-trackables anyway.

To make a long story short: This project featured here so far comes pretty close to what I imagined.

Anyway - I'd like to introduce the results of my poor programming skills to you - maybe there are some ideas you like enough to integrate into this project.

I just created a plain entry spot here

If you like to see what the categorization could look like with pictures I populated some images for this random page use this image link

If you see a "next" link in the top right corner, you can use it to browse through my history of stuff put in.

Some information about my way of collecting information:

In fact I do walk along the icon list by Groundspeak (you may know that the icon-gif-files are numbered, having an offset of about 135), because that way I think I get the most possible amount of coins that are listed there and kind of in order. Last week I reached icon number 600, which was introduced in fall 2006. Whenever I come across some later icons that make sense to put in, I did. If I find some non-trackable items, I put them in, too.

Therefore I think my database is almost complete if you look for Groundspeak-trackables before fall 2006.

To see all so far collected (and tagged) coins from 2006 that say "2006" on them (there are some that don't), click here.

And this page shows only one edition for each coin (e.g. not all metals)! (this is a strong suggestion for your project!)

Still, today there are 5600 icons and more than 6 years ahead of me, if I really wanted to continue...

So far I found 750 different coin layouts (molds, dies, concepts, you name what I mean) that came in about 1550 different editions (versions, metals,...).

About 500 of them are currently tagged - because of a restructuring of my tagging concept, I didn't complete the necessary "do it again routine".

I thought about asking for help with it, but the main problem seems to be to keep people helping... plus I don't have the time to learn to program an implementation for it.

Another question: Most people just want to maintain their collections. Is this kind of data pool really needed?

Be aware that my information might be wrong (there are even some editions that I marked "hoax?", because I am not convinced they exist...).

Some names I changed slightly to avoid confusion or to unify the names of a series that wasn't intented to be a series from day one...

Still I think most people would rather use a category tree than a name search - just to be sure they get what they look for... This is why I don't have a name search.

Feedback appreciated :-D

Edit for link enabeling

Thank you for your post! I have been traveling, which is why I did not have the chance to reply, but you definitely mention many interesting things. I think your category idea is a very good one. Perhaps it could be simplified/modified to a tagging system? People would be able to tag coins and then get a list of all tags or search by tag. What do you think?

I think your category idea is a very good one. Perhaps it could be simplified/modified to a tagging system? People would be able to tag coins and then get a list of all tags or search by tag. What do you think?

Thanks for coming back to my post!

I'm not a friend of tag clouds where the ones shown biggest are usually (in my case) not the most needed tags (why is facebook always so big?), and most often not the ones you are really looking for (I often have to look for those in an unsorted set of similar spelled but different ones in pretty small letters...)

The main disadvantage of my system is, that it is organised as a tree and not as a directed graph (without loops)... (yes, I'm suggesting the opposite of simplification). But since I am the only one who puts keywords in my system I use numbers as tags because this way I can "intval" all arguments that go into my database, plus it prevents misspelling and too many similar ones.

The advantage over the keyword system of pathtags.com (that wellner is referring to): there are connections between keywords.

This way you might assign less tags per item (e.g. only San Francisco instead of S.F plus California plus USA) . I'd like to improve my system by recursively collect the items from the subcategories and show those as well... some day.

And: if you have to connect your tag to another one, misspelled ones can be found. Example: If someone tagged (accidentally) Anerica instead of america, there would be a tiny little tag that is hard to see. And the item is not listed anywhere near America...

So far my category tree has about 800 keywords for about 500 tagged different layouts/molds (and cachers' names are condensed on their first letters, this way I only have 27 instead of 2000 different tags (the names) with one item each... those pages have to be sorted by the cachers' names... another topic on my list. Status quo here). But maybe you wouldn't allow so many keywords anyway.

What are your plans for the problem (in my eyes it is one) that a coin with 20 different colors shows up 20 times as a search result? I don't think that people want to enter the same keywords 20 times (if they didn't enter them BEFORE they added another edition - in this process those keywords could be copied, but later?...)

I can tell you that I redid my keyword system, because I thought this one is better than the old one (that's why there are still 150 items not tagged yet...) - the earlier version (like two-dimensional tags) can be seen here. As described I decided against a tag cloud...

feedback?

I think the most important thing will be usability: If the user needs to do to many steps and wait before his collection is in some kind of application he/she will drop out. Not every coin collector is a techy or developer :-)

Quoted this from the more general thread, because the following is too tech-y and mainly related to the project here.

I just signed up to geocoin trader and tried to enter a rare coin (that I neither own nor keep) that is listed at Groundspeak with a generic icon and one of the many "Personal Geocoin" titles. I provided the Groundspeak-id that belongs to it, but the geocointrader-system didn't accept the number. So I unchecked the "trackable"-box, left a note in the comment field and clicked "next" again. I got no error message, but the same screen - over and over (maybe because it didn't update my other inputs?). Then I did something else, and went back to that page after a while (now empty again - it didn't store the information). I typed into the comment-field, that I don't know, whether my input was delivered, and clicked "Next" again. What I didn't expect: this time I got a status report, that it made its way to approval. I don't know what information arrived there and cannot check nor update...

Now I'm curious...

I know your site is on a good way, but there are issues, that have to be fixed, before I am able to enter data. Ok, it was not a mainstream entry... but the system should be able to handle this somehow, or people might lose interest (see quote). I hope you understand this as constructive help (what I intended it to be).

I think the most important thing will be usability: If the user needs to do to many steps and wait before his collection is in some kind of application he/she will drop out. Not every coin collector is a techy or developer :-)

Quoted this from the more general thread, because the following is too tech-y and mainly related to the project here.

I just signed up to geocoin trader and tried to enter a rare coin (that I neither own nor keep) that is listed at Groundspeak with a generic icon and one of the many "Personal Geocoin" titles. I provided the Groundspeak-id that belongs to it, but the geocointrader-system didn't accept the number. So I unchecked the "trackable"-box, left a note in the comment field and clicked "next" again. I got no error message, but the same screen - over and over (maybe because it didn't update my other inputs?). Then I did something else, and went back to that page after a while (now empty again - it didn't store the information). I typed into the comment-field, that I don't know, whether my input was delivered, and clicked "Next" again. What I didn't expect: this time I got a status report, that it made its way to approval. I don't know what information arrived there and cannot check nor update...

Now I'm curious...

I know your site is on a good way, but there are issues, that have to be fixed, before I am able to enter data. Ok, it was not a mainstream entry... but the system should be able to handle this somehow, or people might lose interest (see quote). I hope you understand this as constructive help (what I intended it to be).

I am one of the Admins responsible for the approval of coins. I check the website for new input twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening). There are a few awaiting approval but that is because there is no icon listed nor photo and it is hard to make sure that the coin edition is correct. Anything that you think would help with identifying the specific coin during the approval process you can put in the comments section and we will read it. I usually will try to look for a photo via google images/Groundspeak trackables/original website where sold in order to attach a photo to the entry if it doesn't have one already. Feel free to email me as well if you have any questions. Thanks.

Now I'm curious...

I'm sorry that you were having this issue. I am not sure why that happened. If something like this ever occurs again, just shoot me an email through the contact page on the site or through my profile, and I will do my best to troubleshoot. And, as scificollector mentioned, all coins must be approved before they are publicly viewable in the gallery. That is why you got the message when your submission went through.

I'm sorry that you were having this issue. I am not sure why that happened. If something like this ever occurs again, just shoot me an email through the contact page on the site or through my profile, and I will do my best to troubleshoot. And, as scificollector mentioned, all coins must be approved before they are publicly viewable in the gallery. That is why you got the message when your submission went through.

I'll try to get the same issue again now...

As you probably read in the other thread I'm aware of the approval process and why (probably) you want to have it.

The main problem for me was: I issued information, but I don't have any way to know, what information came through in the end.

I just sent a message to scificollector using your contact form and I got the "sent"-message together with my text that I sent. This way I know what he got.

But when I (finally) recieved a "submitted"-message after entering the new coin it was on top of the main gallery page. It would be helpful to see the submitted data then.

Now: If my data is incomplete, it can't be approved. But I can't add more info to the same edition, (can I?). I haven't tried yet whether it is possible to add another edition with the same name, providing more complete information. I guess not, because the unapproved edition is still in the system and the name column probably has a unique-flag... but that's just a guess.

I'll try to get the same issue again now...

As you probably read in the other thread I'm aware of the approval process and why (probably) you want to have it.

The main problem for me was: I issued information, but I don't have any way to know, what information came through in the end.

I just sent a message to scificollector using your contact form and I got the "sent"-message together with my text that I sent. This way I know what he got.

But when I (finally) recieved a "submitted"-message after entering the new coin it was on top of the main gallery page. It would be helpful to see the submitted data then.

Now: If my data is incomplete, it can't be approved. But I can't add more info to the same edition, (can I?). I haven't tried yet whether it is possible to add another edition with the same name, providing more complete information. I guess not, because the unapproved edition is still in the system and the name column probably has a unique-flag... but that's just a guess.

I did indeed show that the edition was awaiting approval. I added some missing information and approved the edition of the coin to show up on the website. There is a slight lag in the approval process especially if the admins are currently sleeping when the coin edition is input. :laughing: As I said before I try to look at the moderated objects (Editions needing approval) at least twice a day.