Advanced Geocoin Trading Gallery and Tool

dimkasmir

Did we kill the site?

Nope - it's back again now...

Yeah I'm having some problems with memory overload, and upgrading would require a hefty increase in the monthly hosting fee :D. I'm trying to work something out right now.

On a separate note, Gun finish has been added.

A feature that would be very useful for those entering geocoins would be a copy function - when entering various editions from a coin it would be useful to enter all the details once, and then use a copy function to create a partially filled out template for the next edition being entered.

All Geocoins that have submitted have now been approved.

I have also also added a clarification about naming conventions to the first step of the Add Geocoin wizard.

Next, I will work on:

• Adding a "Vendor" field for Geocoins
  • Adding "Additional Information" fields for Geocoins and Editions
  • Not forcing new Geocons to go through the approval process (see above posts)

Keep the submissions and suggestions coming!

• Adding a "Add New Edition" link to the "Other Editions" drop down

Vendor field has been added.

Okay, so I think we should be good in terms of adding new Geocoins. They will now be auto-approved, while editions will continue to require approval. This means you can now add multiple editions without waiting for me to approve the Geocoin first. Let me know if any problems arise.

Also, brushed finishes have been added.

All Geocoins that have submitted have now been approved.

I have also also added a clarification about naming conventions to the first step of the Add Geocoin wizard.

Next, I will work on:

Keep the submissions and suggestions coming!

Vendor field has been added.

Okay, so I think we should be good in terms of adding new Geocoins. They will now be auto-approved, while editions will continue to require approval. This means you can now add multiple editions without waiting for me to approve the Geocoin first. Let me know if any problems arise.

Also, brushed finishes have been added.

Site is back, and there is now a link to add edition from the Other Editions dropdown :)

OK, I have a geocoin I am about to add - there are a number of Standard Editions, a Limited Edition, an XLE and an artists.

Under editions should I list them as "Standard - Satin Silver", "Standard - Satin Gold", etc; or do I just list them as "Standard" without a metallic differentiator?

OK, I have a geocoin I am about to add - there are a number of Standard Editions, a Limited Edition, an XLE and an artists.

Under editions should I list them as "Standard - Satin Silver", "Standard - Satin Gold", etc; or do I just list them as "Standard" without a metallic differentiator?

Either "Standard - Satin Silver" etc. or just "Satin Silver" etc.. Don't just call it "Standard" because the validation doesn't allow multiple Editions with the same Geocoin/name combo. Thanks for asking!

Either "Standard - Satin Silver" etc. or just "Satin Silver" etc.. Don't just call it "Standard" because the validation doesn't allow multiple Editions with the same Geocoin/name combo. Thanks for asking!

Thanks for that :)

Hey, the AE Tranquility I submitted last night hasn't shown up - should I do it again?

Thanks for that :)

Hey, the AE Tranquility I submitted last night hasn't shown up - should I do it again?

It's not showing up as pending. Not sure what happened there. Go ahead and submit it.

I wonder if multi-leveled should be another feature? Don't see it often, but it was touted as a feature of the Tranquilities and also Circle of Four.

And, with all the geocoins being put in I wonder if you should split to alphabetical pages sooner rather than later (0-9, A, B, C...)

I wonder if multi-leveled should be another feature? Don't see it often, but it was touted as a feature of the Tranquilities and also Circle of Four.

And, with all the geocoins being put in I wonder if you should split to alphabetical pages sooner rather than later (0-9, A, B, C...)

That's a good idea that I hadn't thought of. It won't be any harder to set up in the future but I may as well do it now. How do you think it should be set up? Should there be a separate pagination for each letter? What about the facet filter categories?

Edited by dimkasmir

That's a good idea that I hadn't thought of. It won't be any harder to set up in the future but I may as well do it now. How do you think it should be set up? Should there be a separate pagination for each letter? What about the facet filter categories?

I would definitely do a different pagination for each letter, and if possible allow it to display more items per page, because once there are even quite a few hundred coins in there so 'Letters' will have 40 or 50 coins under them - especially 'G'!

Unsure about the facet filter categories - what do most people search using? For me I am always searching using some element of the name rather than a feature or set of features (am I understanding facet filtering correctly?). But some people may well find it useful.

You need to define the minimum and maximum image sizes required. All my coin images are 200x200 pixels. To be frank, I'm not interested in re-photographing my entire collection in order to enter them in your database.

The large icon and small icon both use the same coin id #, or the generic icon 21.gif (personal coin), so you could enter just a single field asking for the coin id#.

If a coin only had one version what are you supposed to enter under Edition Name? It is a required field, so I can't leave it blank.

You need to define the minimum and maximum image sizes required. All my coin images are 200x200 pixels. To be frank, I'm not interested in re-photographing my entire collection in order to enter them in your database.

The large icon and small icon both use the same coin id #, or the generic icon 21.gif (personal coin), so you could enter just a single field asking for the coin id#.

If a coin only had one version what are you supposed to enter under Edition Name? It is a required field, so I can't leave it blank.

I have updated the minimum size to be 200x200 and have clarified this requirement in the form. I definitely do not want to miss out on your photographs :)

The coin id# idea is a good one. I'll work on implementing it next.

I hope that you like the site, and let me know if you have any other suggestions!

On a side note, I have a fixed a bug that was making the gallery load slowly. Performance should be a lot better now.

Edited by dimkasmir

Here are some comments on why I liked the site I use to use (Geocoin Collection) before it disappeared, and what they could have done to make it even better (as there were a couple of features on cointracking which Geocoin Collection lacked). This was when I had thousands of coins listed on Geocoin Collection - so I was a heavy user of it. (Don't judge me... my addiction is very well under control these days)

...geocoincollection has quality control, such that coins go up with their correct name (usually) and aren't duplicated under multiple entries (usually). - this is where cointracking fails IMO - too often the coin names on cointracking were just what someone *thought* they were, and frequently they were wrong. I put some effort in to make sure I have the correct coin and edition names by entering a Tracking ID on geocaching.com and seeing what it lists the coins as. This is not always correct as I have come across several examples lately where the designer/manufacturer of the coin called it something slight different to what it was listed on geocaching.com as. I also search thru vendor emails, the forums and other places to get it as right as I can.

OK, it does occasionally happen that the name of the coin isn't quite right, or that the finish is list incorrectly or twice, but the guys at geocoincollection are very quick to fix these when they are pointed out to them. They are very responsive to adding new coins (you report it to them in the forums and they add it first opportunity they get (daily?).

Again - quality control is crucial - especially if you decide to turn this into a paid listing site

That all said, I do like how cointracking has more options to classify coins under (incoming, outgoing, keeping, available, seeking, pending). And there are a few more fields to add information to against coins, but these seem to be somewhat confusing as I see people use these fields in very different ways - which shows that their purpose is not quite clear. (Just what really is an Edition - and why do some people classify the same coin as being an Edition coin and others don't! Does Numbered mean trackable? Some people use it to record the number is it is numbered, some use it to record the Tracking prefix, some just answer yes/no) So here are some of the things that I did like on cointracking that geocoin collection didn't have, but as I mention so of the fields were used differently by different people - so it would definitely pay to ensure consistency between coins.

Hope this is useful to you :)

Edited by keewee

Here are some comments on why I liked the site I use to use (Geocoin Collection) before it disappeared, and what they could have done to make it even better (as there were a couple of features on cointracking which Geocoin Collection lacked). This was when I had thousands of coins listed on Geocoin Collection - so I was a heavy user of it. (Don't judge me... my addiction is very well under control these days)

...geocoincollection has quality control, such that coins go up with their correct name (usually) and aren't duplicated under multiple entries (usually). - this is where cointracking fails IMO - too often the coin names on cointracking were just what someone *thought* they were, and frequently they were wrong. I put some effort in to make sure I have the correct coin and edition names by entering a Tracking ID on geocaching.com and seeing what it lists the coins as. This is not always correct as I have come across several examples lately where the designer/manufacturer of the coin called it something slight different to what it was listed on geocaching.com as. I also search thru vendor emails, the forums and other places to get it as right as I can.

OK, it does occasionally happen that the name of the coin isn't quite right, or that the finish is list incorrectly or twice, but the guys at geocoincollection are very quick to fix these when they are pointed out to them. They are very responsive to adding new coins (you report it to them in the forums and they add it first opportunity they get (daily?).

Again - quality control is crucial - especially if you decide to turn this into a paid listing site

That all said, I do like how cointracking has more options to classify coins under (incoming, outgoing, keeping, available, seeking, pending). And there are a few more fields to add information to against coins, but these seem to be somewhat confusing as I see people use these fields in very different ways - which shows that their purpose is not quite clear. (Just what really is an Edition - and why do some people classify the same coin as being an Edition coin and others don't! Does Numbered mean trackable? Some people use it to record the number is it is numbered, some use it to record the Tracking prefix, some just answer yes/no) So here are some of the things that I did like on cointracking that geocoin collection didn't have, but as I mention so of the fields were used differently by different people - so it would definitely pay to ensure consistency between coins.

Hope this is useful to you :)

This is definitely very useful.

The quality control issue is one of my top priorities when I began this project. This is why I have the approval system set up, and I plan on maintaining as high a level of accuracy and consistency as possible.

As for the granulated coin/trade statuses that you mentioned, this will certainly be a part of the main trading system that I hope to release in a couple months. It will allow trades to be arranged and monitored entirely through the website.

I hope that GeocoinTrader will meet your standards, and maybe you'll become as heavy of a user here as on Geocoin Collection. :D

I have updated the minimum size to be 200x200 and have clarified this requirement in the form. I definitely do not want to miss out on your photographs :)

The coin id# idea is a good one. I'll work on implementing it next.

I hope that you like the site, and let me know if you have any other suggestions!

On a side note, I have a fixed a bug that was making the gallery load slowly. Performance should be a lot better now.

I have changed the icon input to a single "Geocaching icon ID" field.

Thanks!

Would it be possible to introduce a gallery function where the most newly added coins are shown first? Would be useful when I want to go through the newly added coins to add my keepers/seekers/traders - and at a later stage, I guess, to see the most recently produced coins.

Working on adding different sorting options right now. Stay tuned.

I get a "server error" when trying to add a edition to a coin I just added. The images are 500x500 jpg:s. I have tried in the last ten minutes or so, IP 2.248.170.102, "Celtic Tree of Life"

Nice site by the way =)

/Fredrik

Sorry about that. I'm investigating the problem right now.

Edit:

The issue has now been fixed. Thanks!

Edited by dimkasmir

Today I finally had time to get into your application, I really liked.

I saw some details that might be interesting to add or implement:

- The type of finish, it would be possible to add it if it not exists?. For example, many of the early coins were made in Brass (other than bronze), or Pewter.

- You can add a field to comments, for each coin/version added?

- It's possible to add a field for the prefix of the coin? Sometimes it is significative.

- It would be desirable to avoid erroneous data. For example, different data for the same coin/version (minting, year, ...)

I like this application, thanks for all this work.

It would also be desirable an option for the coins not trackables in geocaching, to add the site, as is the case of some of the early coins, before autumn 2005.

Edit to add:

- Can stop the continuous movement of the photos? :blink:

- It's possible put 1.3/5" or 1.5/8" instead 1.6" or 1.625" for diameter?

Edited by manu luq

Today I finally had time to get into your application, I really liked.

I saw some details that might be interesting to add or implement:

- The type of finish, it would be possible to add it if it not exists?. For example, many of the early coins were made in Brass (other than bronze), or Pewter.

Currently only I can add additional finishes. I'll maybe add an option for users to submit them as well. Pewter and Brass have been added.

- You can add a field to comments, for each coin/version added?

- It's possible to add a field for the prefix of the coin? Sometimes it is significative.

I'll have this working probably later today.

- It would be desirable to avoid erroneous data. For example, different data for the same coin/version (minting, year, ...)

Because in some cases different editions have different years, etc. I decided to include these fields under edition rather than Geocoin. Until I implement a "copy data" feature, I'm afraid the only option is to enter the same data multiple times, once for each edition, despite it often being redundant.

It would also be desirable an option for the coins not trackables in geocaching, to add the site, as is the case of some of the early coins, before autumn 2005.

I think for now this would best go in the "comments" field, which will be added soon.

- Can stop the continuous movement of the photos? :blink:

Done.

- It's possible put 1.3/5" or 1.5/8" instead 1.6" or 1.625" for diameter?

I think if I start allowing fractional inputs like this, it may become confusing (i.e. "1.1/2" vs. "3/2" vs. "1 1/2" etc.). So I think, at least for now, I'll only allow standard decimal input.

On my 15" screen I can't see the menu on the right (profile, out, ...), can be configured to fit the size of each screen automatically?

I'll look into this ASAP.

Thank you for the feedback, and I'm glad you like the application!

Edited by dimkasmir

I checked it out today. Very nice!

I do have a suggestion tho. Since a lot of my coins either have a magnetized pathtag on them or they come with a pathtag as a set, can you add that to features? Pathtag carrier(Magnetized) or pathtag included as a set? I also like the idea of having a text line as I have some made especially for an event like Geocoinfest 2012 or our local Jesse James Cache Bash.

thanks Steve Allen

How are our feelings towards different travel tags (the printed aluminum kind) Do we want them on the site?

They are geocaching.com trackable and I guess people are collecting them, so IMO they should be (even though I hate the things)

Agreed.

I have now added "Custom Prefix" and "Comments" fields for editions. There is also an "Includes Pathtag" feature.

We already have 165 coins listed on the site, which is not bad at all, so THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed!

However, for this project to be truly successful we need as many users as we can get. So if you're reading this right now and are unsure, please just make an account and check it out - maybe you'll like and will want to contribute a coin or two or set up a trading list :)

Nice start. I'll be interested to see how this progresses. Although I was only in there for a few minutes, (unless I missed it) how about adding other materials that geocoins are sometimes made of . . . solid silver, glass, coal, pottery, slate . . . I'm sure there are others. I hesitate to mention wood (I might have one real geocoin of wood, but I'm not sure) because that opens the door a bit where wooden nickels are concerned.

Nice start. I'll be interested to see how this progresses. Although I was only in there for a few minutes, (unless I missed it) how about adding other materials that geocoins are sometimes made of . . . solid silver, glass, coal, pottery, slate . . . I'm sure there are others. I hesitate to mention wood (I might have one real geocoin of wood, but I'm not sure) because that opens the door a bit where wooden nickels are concerned.

Thanks for taking a look! Currently, one of the finish is "Other" and one of the features is "Non-metal." Do you think these non-standard materials should be options for finish? Or should there be a separate field altogether?

Hey, take a look at this database: www.mygeodb.de

Unfortunatelly it's not in English, but maybe u can find some insprirations.

After registration, you can add your coins by entering trackingcode and the database will receive name of coin and icon from Groundspeak-Database. You can mark coins as trade or buyable or hide it from view of others.

Entering a coin (by official coin name) as "Request" will show everyone in database who is willing to sell or trade this coin.

Maybe you both can combine your projects to make a real big thing :D

Edited by wenzelbub

Now I see that we have at lest two coindesigners (Ernies and 'grodan & fiabus') as users om the site. Woudn't it be nice to have a "Designed" column on the "users" list?

(BTW I got permission from Ernies to use pictures from his site, if you wonder why I rip pictures from him)

/Fredrik

Edit: typo

Edited by wellner

First of all, thanks for doing this. I like the idea of it.

Is there a way to delete a coin that I've added to my list? Example...I added the CacheHawk - AB, but I actually own the AC, so I'd like to delete that from my keeper list.

I have to say, I'm confused about the "Edition" listing. To my mind, all coins have a name (the official name being the one you get from gc.com BEFORE activating it). That name is the only name for the coin. Each coin may have many versions and finishes, but they should all be kept under a separate subheading.

I hope I'm making sense... :D

Is there a way to delete a coin that I've added to my list? Example...I added the CacheHawk - AB, but I actually own the AC, so I'd like to delete that from my keeper list.

I have to say, I'm confused about the "Edition" listing. To my mind, all coins have a name (the official name being the one you get from gc.com BEFORE activating it). That name is the only name for the coin. Each coin may have many versions and finishes, but they should all be kept under a separate subheading.

IMO, You must put a zero in the box Keeping.

In Edition put the finish.

Edited by manu luq

Yes, putting 0 in the Keeping box works. (I should've that of that) :wacko:

Thanks.

How I've been treating Edition is that if there is no official edition name, then I enter the finish. If there is an official edition name (many vendors do this these days), then I enter the Edition Name and I put the finish in brackets so that it is clear)

The other way Editions are/can be treated is that they're called Standard or Regular Edition, Limited Edition, Extra Limited Edition, Artist Edition, OR in the case of the Multi-Event and Multi Participate coins it could be Space Coast Edition, or Canterbury Edition, etc - in which case I use that.

I am guilty of cross using these 2 ways of doing it.

How I've been treating Edition is that if there is no official edition name, then I enter the finish. If there is an official edition name (many vendors do this these days), then I enter the Edition Name and I put the finish in brackets so that it is clear)

The other way Editions are/can be treated is that they're called Standard or Regular Edition, Limited Edition, Extra Limited Edition, Artist Edition, OR in the case of the Multi-Event and Multi Participate coins it could be Space Coast Edition, or Canterbury Edition, etc - in which case I use that.

I am guilty of cross using these 2 ways of doing it.

This is exactly what I had in mind with the editions. Hopefully it's not too confusing and will be a good way of organizing coins in the long run.