[FEATURE] Facebook/Twitter integration when sending a log using the API

Carsten

When posting a log using the website, you can choose whether you want to share this log on Twitter and/or Facebook. If you use a 3rd party application (like GSAK) for logging your caches, you currently have no chance to do any selective sharing of your logs. You can only globally activate or deactivate sharing on Twitter/Facebook in your profile.

Please think about enhancing the API so that you can set a flag for each sent log indicating if it should be shared on Twitter and/or Facebook or not!

Thanks in advance!

Carsten

When posting a log using the website, you can choose whether you want to share this log on Twitter and/or Facebook. If you use a 3rd party application (like GSAK) for logging your caches, you currently have no chance to do any selective sharing of your logs. You can only globally activate or deactivate sharing on Twitter/Facebook in your profile.

Please think about enhancing the API so that you can set a flag for each sent log indicating if it should be shared on Twitter and/or Facebook or not!

Thanks in advance!

Carsten

That would bog down your facebook status updates and bog down your friends news feeds if you sent a status update for every single log/find that you get....

That'd be a great way for your friends to 'unsubscribe' you - wouldn't it?

That would bog down your facebook status updates and bog down your friends news feeds if you sent a status update for every single log/find that you get....

No, it wouldn't, since the request is for an option to choose for each log if it should be shared or not just as to avoid your scenario. Sharing all logs on Facebook/Twitter is possible right now, even with the API.

Edited by Carsten

No, it wouldn't, since the request is for an option to choose for each log if it should be shared or not just as to avoid your scenario. Sharing all logs on Facebook/Twitter is possible right now, even with the API.

So, for every single 'LOG/FIND' you'd have to click the 'to share' - ?

This probably won't happen because there needs to be some sort of mutual agreement (or whatever) between facebook & geocaching.com to allow information to be exchanged back-n-forth. Aside from that - the information being vulnerable to security issues.

This probably won't happen because there needs to be some sort of mutual agreement (or whatever) between facebook & geocaching.com to allow information to be exchanged back-n-forth. Aside from that - the information being vulnerable to security issues.

You have failed to comprehend Carsten's post. The ability to share posted logs on Facebook and Twitter already exists. Groundspeak achieves this though their respective APIs. Cachers who have a Twitter or Facebook account linked to their geocaching account will see a checkbox appear under the text entry field on the log entry page when they select the first two log types. The OP is asking for this checkbox to be available on mobile apps.

55L4Y.png

Edited by Ambient_Skater

Does anyone know if there has been any head way in getting the mobile app setup to post to Facebook? I am new to geocaching and only have an iPhone at this point to locate caches with so I post as soon as I locate them. I have a few friends that are getting into geocaching and I would like to share with them through FB as well as getting others interested in geocaching.

Thanks

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the application post the log to twitter/facebook/whatever instead? It's already using the Groundspeak API, so why not also use another API to relay those logs? Having the Groundspeak API backend cascade a request to another API seems illogical to me.

Edited by dfx

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the application post the log to twitter/facebook/whatever instead? It's already using the Groundspeak API, so why not also use another API to relay those logs? Having the Groundspeak API backend cascade a request to another API seems illogical to me.

As far as I'm concerned, whatever works. On the other hand, wouldn't it be more efficient if the API were updated to match the "Field Notes" function on the Web site, rather than require the developers of all the apps that use the API to separately program for this integration?

--Larry

On the other hand, wouldn't it be more efficient if the API were updated to match the "Field Notes" function on the Web site, rather than require the developers of all the apps that use the API to separately program for this integration?

Not from a (Groundspeak) developer's perspective. :)

Not that I care, but if it was my API, I wouldn't do it. An API is meant to be used by applications. If some functionality is desired that could either be implemented in the API backend or in the application, then it makes more sense for it to go into the application. The only API that should be responsible for posting things to Twitter is Twitter's API.

A website on the other hand is meant to be used by humans - it constitutes an application in itself and so it makes sense for it to provide as much functionality as possible (either server-side or client-side), which includes talking to (various) APIs. I don't see the API's method to post logs as being equivalent to posting logs on the website, nor to the field notes functionality of the website. It's simply a way to get logs into the database.

Just saying how I (being a systems developer) see it.