Caching with style [or is it stile ?]

Looking at the cache descriptions of a series I hope to undertake tomorrow I have noticed 2 spellings of stile [or is it style ?]

I believe that it should be stile [i'm from W.Sussex originally]

Near to me now cachers seem to use stile and style so which is the correct spelling for this convenient way of crossing a fence,oh and whilst on the subject any varied designs around the country ? :unsure:

I've always thought stile was something you walked over, and style would be clothing type style. Have you tried googling ;)

I agree with you but clearly others do not [or is this an example of out deteriorating educational standards ?

It could possibly be the latter, however I'm not old lol.

Edited by matt1988

A lot of kids these days (and a fair number of 'grown-ups', too) don't seem to think that correct spelling, grammar and punctuation are in the least bit important. I believe that the current attitude is that if you can just about make sense of what's written, then everything is OK. You've only got to look at the apparent total interchangeability of "there", "their" and "they're", for example.

Edited by Pharisee
edit for family friendlyness :blink:

A lot of kids these days (and a fair number of 'grown-ups', too) don't seen to think that correct spelling...

Oh dear :ph34r:

OK, I suppose that's a typo, so 8/10 must be more careful in future :lol:

Anyway, it is "stile", and I agree that this is probably a symptom of the general dumbing down we see everywhere, very sad :(

Edit for typo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by MartyBartfast

A lot of kids these days (and a fair number of 'grown-ups', too) don't seem to think that correct spelling, grammar and punctuation are in the least bit important. I believe that the current attitude is that if you can just about make sense of what's written, then everything is OK. You've only got to look at the apparent total interchangeability of "there", "their" and "they're", for example. I know that it's deemed extremely 'bad form' to point out (and heaven forbid, correct) bad spelling and grammar on this forum but (swearing removed by mod) I find it quite annoying. :mad:

Edited for bad grammar....and spelling! :blink: And, incidentally, to put back my original text that someone else saw fit to change. Now I wonder who has the 'power' to do that?

Part of my caching kit is a felt tipped pen for correcting badly spelled or wrongly punctuated notices. It's a bit like picking up litter - no-one asks me to do it, but it makes the world a slightly better place.

Edited by castagnari

I've seen "stile" written incorrectly as "style" and merrily continued to the end of the paragraph...then had to go back and read it again as it didn't make sense.

Which is fine, because I love doing extra work so that others don't have to...!

The problem with the "can't be bothered with grammar" brigade is that it always takes more work to read what they write, so it often comes over as a bit of an arrogant attitude.

Quite different from the typo brigade (of which I'm a member!) and those that struggle to write clearly but are always attempting to improve. Everyone makes mistakes, and even though I always re-read what I've written I'm not perfect. But I'm always trying to make my writing clear, even if I don't always succeed, because I don't think people should be obliged to work hard just to understand what I'm saying.

Hope that wasn't hard work... :D

I've seen "stile" written incorrectly as "style" and merrily continued to the end of the paragraph...then had to go back and read it again as it didn't make sense.

Which is fine, because I love doing extra work so that others don't have to...!

The problem with the "can't be bothered with grammar" brigade is that it always takes more work to read what they write, so it often comes over as a bit of an arrogant attitude.

Quite different from the typo brigade (of which I'm a member!) and those that struggle to write clearly but are always attempting to improve. Everyone makes mistakes, and even though I always re-read what I've written I'm not perfect. But I'm always trying to make my writing clear, even if I don't always succeed, because I don't think people should be obliged to work hard just to understand what I'm saying.

Hope that wasn't hard work... :D

I think the trick is to write the way you would speak. When you're speaking, you know that the listener can't go back and try to work out what you meant, so you tend to speak simply, active voice, with short sentences and short words.

I don't have a problem working out what the writer meant when they say style instead of stile. It's when I have to read the same sentence three times to decode the thicket of passive voices, double negatives and polysyllabic latinate gerundives that I get annoyed.

... whilst on the subject any varied designs around the country ? :unsure:

I'd never seen a gate atop a stile until I set;

[Traditional Cache] PC-005 Goat Pasture http://coord.info/GC1KXWR

The title of the cache gives you the reason why. :D

990db06b-9f05-42ff-9dfb-f07ac8d11709.jpg

... And as it's called a 'Tumble Stile' probable best not for Dr Solly. :lol:

(But I'm sure he'd post an interesting tale about the adventure!)

For a stile with style

Looking at the cache descriptions of a series I hope to undertake tomorrow I have noticed 2 spellings of stile [or is it style ?]

I believe that it should be stile [i'm from W.Sussex originally]

Near to me now cachers seem to use stile and style so which is the correct spelling for this convenient way of crossing a fence,oh and whilst on the subject any varied designs around the country ? :unsure:

Agreed it's stile. But the main reason for posting is the second part of your question.

In the West Country you often get "bridge" stiles (don't know if there is a proper name for them) where a sort of wooden step ladder with a flat top allows you to climb right over a wall.

Also on the South Coast near Golden Cap is a rather splendid "his and hers" dual side by side stile :lol: .

Rgds, Andy

Stile of course, which you climb over with great style.

I always chuckle when people write:

"Loved the cache, quiet spot with not a sole around"

Did they forget their shoes?

On the interweb, you're much more likely to get "your" now - it has become synonymous.

B)

The Tallest Stile in the World? From a log by the Gingerbreadmen on GLEKGZD

4fd2ee90-bf59-46e1-9fe5-8d193fd8a879.jpg