Windows to Mac

The Diggeries

I'm finally ditching my Windows pc for an iMac. I see that GSAK, which I currently use is Windows only. I'm not interested in running Windows on my Mac, so what GSAK equivalent would you recommend I install (I do find GSAK over complex for my use). From what I can glean it's iCaching from the App store, or Maccacher..

Any advise from current Mac users please?

S

I'm finally ditching my Windows pc for an iMac. I see that GSAK, which I currently use is Windows only. I'm not interested in running Windows on my Mac, so what GSAK equivalent would you recommend I install (I do find GSAK over complex for my use). From what I can glean it's iCaching from the App store, or Maccacher..

S

From a previous thread <<link. It seems your options are very limited... :unsure:

We're Macs at our house, an iMac, Macbook, and a Macbook Pro. Lots of my little handheld gadgets are windows Updating only, so I use VMWare Fusion to run a virtual copy of Windows XP under OSX. If you don't like the $50 pricetag for VMWare Fusion you could look at Parallels (also about $50), or Virtualbox (free), or Bootcamp (from Apple, reboots your Mac in to Windows).

I like VMWare as it lets me decide which USB devices to attach and then set it as a preference for future plug-ins. Thus I set my GPSr/PDA/etc to connect to the virtual Windows and just launch it from my dock when I need to use something like ArcGIS, GSAK, ER Mapper, etc!

S

I don't think anything comes remotely close to GSAK in terms of functionality. I use Bootcamp to multi-boot Windows7 on my mid-2006 Macbook White in order to run GSAK. In the past I've virtualized Windows with both Parallels and VMware Fusion (about $50 each) but I had some USB issues. Bootcamp works great (for free). Well worth it for me.

You'll also find that the good mapping programs like Topo tend to be Windows-only, as are things like Quicken. Other than those and GSAK, I run the Mac version of everything at this point.