Geocaching.com will be going offline temporarily on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pup Patrol

People who're into software metrics (avoid them at parties) will tell you that every bug fix has a decent chance of creating another bug. As I recall, that chance is about 30% for the average software development shop. In other words, 10 bug fixes would create 3 new bugs.

For an average shop.

Well, sometimes it seems this one is well above average in that area. :huh: By the way, why is your avatar so pixellated? :lol:

People who're into software metrics (avoid them at parties) will tell you that every bug fix has a decent chance of creating another bug. As I recall, that chance is about 30% for the average software development shop. In other words, 10 bug fixes would create 3 new bugs.

For an average shop.

When I was a programmer we'd catch those bugs in our own testing. If we released software to the testing department and a single bug was caught our butt was in our managers office the next morning and we had better have a darn good explanation as to why we missed it. I think today the emphasis seems to be on getting the software out rather than getting it right.

I'm thinking today's brief downtime was to roll out the v1.0.2 GPX files?

When I was a programmer we'd catch those bugs in our own testing. If we released software to the testing department and a single bug was caught our butt was in our managers office the next morning and we had better have a darn good explanation as to why we missed it. I think today the emphasis seems to be on getting the software out rather than getting it right.

I played enough buggy-as-hell computer games in the 90s that I can say this is not a new development. I swear some of those games seemed like they had never been tested at all because the bugs were really obvious.

Back up, but no release notes? There are release notes for Android 2.2, but not for the website itself.

They did that just so they could see if we pay attention. Actually I hear they are in the process of rolling out the .gpx uploads so you can import all your caches from another site and have them listed here.

Back up, but no release notes? There are release notes for Android 2.2, but not for the website itself.

They did that just so they could see if we pay attention. Actually I hear they are in the process of rolling out the .gpx uploads so you can import all your caches from another site and have them listed here.

Will there be a new peer review page, too?

thanks, i thought i was blind :anibad:

/checks the map for list of caches...nope, still not done, the profile picture is still miniscule

Edited by t4e

/checks the map for list of caches...nope, still not done, the profile picture is still miniscule

Take a look at the menu, though. I could swear the "Play" menu used to be first. Now, its third. At least that's what I'm seeing!

Take a look at the menu, though. I could swear the "Play" menu used to be first. Now, its third. At least that's what I'm seeing!

meh, its been like that since last update :P

The message indicated that the site would be going offline. That doesn't necessarily mean that any software was changed.

you got a good point there lol

Edited by t4e

The message indicated that the site would be going offline. That doesn't necessarily mean that any software was changed.

Or the software change is something they don't want to talk about lest it sparks curiosity and experimentation.

Not for me. The "Play" menu was the first from the left after the last update, for me.

Domo again!!!

Moun10Bike just commented on my other tread that:

Today's downtime was simply for the application of some server patches. There were no code changes; those won't come until the January release.

No code change this time.

SO, keep those [bUG] & [FEATURE] posts coming!

~ Dr.MORO

Is anyone getting their pocket queries to run? Mine are not. I have one that has never been run before that I have been waiting on since the website came back up. The last PQ I ran was 3 days ago. Did they forget to turn something back on?

Hi, Doug. I got mine. It was a bit slower than usual, but then, it is a Friday night.

Not for me. The "Play" menu was the first from the left after the last update, for me.

It moved for me after the last update. Of course, it took me a few days to realize that :laughing:

The menus were reordered during the Dec 6th update, and some of us commented on it at that time:

GOF and Bacall

Myself

I keep finding my mouse pointer heading toward the first menu, before remembering and veering off to the 3rd tab.

The menus were reordered during the Dec 6th update, and some of us commented on it at that time:

GOF and Bacall

Myself

I keep finding my mouse pointer heading toward the first menu, before remembering and veering off to the 3rd tab.

Wasn't that the update that GAVE us the menus?

Even if not, those two posts you linked to aren't talking about the Play menu.

GOF said: Interesting that shop and partnering come before community.

And you said: Shopping is now more important than community? What is this game coming to?

I'm saying that "Your Profile" and "Your Stuff" now comes before "Play".

Edited by knowschad

can't be, update was december 6, i took this screenshot december 10 for this post

mind you the "Your Stuff" is missing now, heck if i remember what was in it :lol:

GCmenu.jpg

Edited by t4e

can't be, update was december 6, i took this screenshot december 10 for this post

mind you the "Your Stuff" is missing now, heck if i remember what was in it :lol:

GCmenu.jpg

"Your Stuff"? There's no such menu on Geocaching.com, and never has been. From the little GC box on the right side of your menubar, I have to assume you're using Greasemonkey, which probably explains why you and knowschad are seeing something different.

"Your Stuff"? There's no such menu on Geocaching.com, and never has been. From the little GC box on the right side of your menubar, I have to assume you're using Greasemonkey, which probably explains why you and knowschad are seeing something different.

aaargh you're right :lol:

you get used to the greasemonkey scripts so much you forget they're not part of the regular site lol

anyways they were disabled for some reason so now i have the "my stuff" back

sorry knowschad, you are probably right, i wouldn't know :anibad:

Edited by t4e