Ideas for Premium Members

southdeltan

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a premium member but likely will become one next month. A lot of people point out that everybody has a ton of ideas and they always seem to want something for free. Others point out that other than pocket queries and supporting the site in general, premium members don't get much.

Most ideas are never realized, but I thought it'd be nice to have some suggestions for additions to the Premium Membership.

This is mainly just for entertainment - but perhaps somebody will have something that interest the site admin:

1. Make it so Premium members can view last logs by state.

2. Premium members can search for caches from a location based on directions (S, SE, etc)

sd

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

I had mentioned this in a different thread, but this thread seems the most appropriate:

I know that what I am about to suggest will probably draw the ire of 'open source' people, but I still offer this as a possibility.

Perhaps a stats page could be added as a premium feature for those that pay their dues. It could increase the numbers of those that pay for what they are using.

Personally I enjoy the stats, and like a little friendly competition. I also know that I will never be among the top cachers, but it is cool to know who those folks are.

Thanks for the Adventure.

Gary and Mary

ingeo-button1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

1. Make it so Premium members can view last logs by state.

How about make it within a certain radius, configurable timeframe, and list it as abbreviated text, like:

GCxxxx Name of the Cache: Finder's Name - Date

"Found the cache alright, but the coords where a little off, maybe by 15' or so.

Took broken McToy and left an acorn I found on the trail. Sorry about not being

able to ..." >>more

Now that would be the cat's meow!

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Gary and Mary Adventurers:

I had mentioned this in a different thread, but this thread seems the most appropriate:

I know that what I am about to suggest will probably draw the ire of 'open source' people, but I still offer this as a possibility.

Perhaps a stats page could be added as a premium feature for those that pay their dues. It could increase the numbers of those that pay for what they are using.

Personally I enjoy the stats, and like a little friendly competition. I also know that I will never be among the top cachers, but it is cool to know who those folks are.

Thanks for the Adventure.

Gary and Mary

http://www.indianageocaching.com

Very good idea! I'd like to see detailed stats, too.

--RuffRidr

quote:
Originally posted by Gary and Mary Adventurers:

I know that what I am about to suggest will probably draw the ire of 'open source' people

Why would it do that? Open Source isn't about not paying for anything, it's about cooperative development. But you might as well save your breath; as long as Jeremy believes (correctly, in my opinion) that the numbers don't matter and the only person you're competing with is yourself, you won't get comparative statistics from geocaching.com.

I think premium members should be able to download an entire state's worth of geocaches in one file, but that's just because it's what I want to do right now.

We've been told that there will be new features on the "rock-n-roll" geocaching.com that will be available only to premium members. Let's wait and see what they are before we add even more stuff to the pile of stuff we all want Jeremy to implement yesterday.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

2. Premium members can search for caches from a location based on directions (S, SE, etc)

Once you're a subscribing member, you can use Pocket Queries to get sets of up to 500 caches e-mailed to you. You just take the Pocket Query data and open it with Watcher, and you can do that very thing already (among a great many other things).

(I added it to Watcher at the express request of quite a few people, actually, and from what I see and have heard, it works quite nicely... filter by direction and sort by distance and you have it all right there, but if you find something missing in Watcher, just ask and it might end up near the top of the TODO list that will be shrinking again soon, since I'll be at home more.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Another good thing for paying members would be email notification whenever a new cache is placed in their state/county. Right now the only email notification is once a week.

Would be a good reason for people to join up if it increased their odds of being FTF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I'd like to see a higher level of premium member that gets you MORE pocket queries, etc. I'd happily pay more to be a "Platinum Memeber" or something and be able to get double the amount of pocket queries I get now.

Pocket queries are the killer app now IMHO. Beyond simply supporting the site and the work involved in maintaining it, it's the single most compelling thing for getting a premium membership at gc.com.

I wish I could get my entire state in a query also.

Platinum! Platinum!! No limits on pocket queries. Make us pay a premium for that kind of service. I beg you!! icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

quote:
We will be adding more features for premium users every month . . .

To the best of my knowledge, that has not been the case.

Do you limit "more features" to discrete, premium-only features, or do features added to existing features or features that are visible to non-premium users also count?

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Probably, one of the most disk ocupation responsibles are the pictures/images. So, restrict the # of images to 3 and the total in bytes to 200kb for non paying members and allow paying members to upload up to 500kb with no limit in the # of images per cache/log.

This will reduce the growing of disk ocupation and/or increase the # of paying members.

Manuel Antunes

I'm still waiting for the ability to be able to see who is *watching* my own caches. I corresponded with Jeremy last year sometime about this and he indicated that it was on his *to do* list. I guess is never made it into the major site enhancements. -sigh-

I (like many others) would also like to see the Totals on the stats page. Maybe this could be a premium only feature.

I agree that other than the pocket queries (which ARE very valuable), we really don't get all that much extra. (Other than feeling good about supporting the site of course!)

TrimblesTrek

quote:
Originally posted by TrimblesTrek:

I'm still waiting for the ability to be able to see who is *watching* my own caches. I corresponded with Jeremy last year sometime about this and he indicated that it was on his *to do* list.

TrimblesTrek

Me too! Forgot this sugestion in my previous post but I still have a copy of a sugestion of mine, made on November, 8th and the answer from Jeremy, dated December, 4th, stating that he admits to do it... Let's keep waiting and hoping...

Of course, as I read in other topics, this feature could/would have an option for anyone, who doesn't want to be "seen" watching a cache, to unmark it icon_wink.gif

Manuel Antunes