My Last 30 Days

luvvinbird

Maybe it's the time of year or maybe it's just dumb luck, but the last 30 days on my profile look pretty bleak. Is caching an addiction? My wife is talking to me but I'm dreaming of opening an ammo can found in a tree stump on a secluded forest trail. I find more joy in unraveling a blinky log than Christmas shopping. Is something wrong with me? Do I need an intervention with my geocaching peers? (Oh, God I wish!!!) Or am I a slave to this compelling need to get one more cache? Please help!

meh you're fine..why would you even want to be anywhere near a mall starting november until the end of january? :lol:

i personally avoid them like the plague, i hate the craziness of this time of year, only causing you stress

going caching on the other hand is peaceful and relaxing after a long day at work, well maybe not all the time :lol:

OK, so is this the confessions thread?

Not too many days ago, I had an evening free. Here were the choices: um, finally get the Christmas decorations up+get the tree OR do dishes OR go geocaching. Didn't take too long to make that choice. :D

I spotted a really nice pond on state land while getting our tree last weekend. I asked the owner of the tree farm when paying for our tree about it. She said that there are often beavers there and "a lot of peace". I asked if there was a trail to it and she said they're might be but most people just park along the road across the street and we don't mind if they walk through our land to get to the state land. Sweet! A nice spot for a cache *and* explicit permission to cross private property (although the state land is directly accessible from the road) to get to it.

I'm barely two months into this stupid addiction and I basically ignored an entire deer hunting season. If you knew me, you'd probably fall over. I spend free time trying to solve puzzles (which I hate but I'm not going to let them beat me), think of unusual or clever hides, or just stare at the beta map hoping new caches will pop up close to my house.

New 12-step program: "Hi, my name is Nelomo and I'm a geocacher. It's been 12 hours since my last find."

I wake up every morning, turn on the computer while grabbing breakfast and then see if any new ones popped up along my commute. If I don't get my one-a-day fix, I might just lose it. If I see a new one that's easier to access on my way to work, I leave early to nab it at 0330'ish. I have to get them early because the one day I chose caching over getting the kids off of the bus, was a day I don't care to revisit. :blink:

I found one stinkin' cache in November (the cache wasn't stinky, but it was a stinky month :rolleyes: ). I've managed to find five caches so far this month (and DNF two). Yay. :anitongue:

The other day we were by a rock wall, and I thought for a second that there should be a cache there, but then realized that it was private property so there wasn't. <_<:laughing:

I've just begun this hobby, but I have friends around here that are totally hooked. One of my buddies wife threatened to leave him if he didn't stop going so much. I live in an area thats surrounded by various nature trails, state parks and so on, so its easy to get addicted in a place like this.

There's hundreds of caches located in the scenic Pike County, Kentucky. Check out www.tourpikecounty.com.

I've definitely slowed down lately because of the dark :( If the rain and cold doesn't get you life at 52 degrees north means sunlight only lasts 9am-4pm, which just makes you feel like it's too late after work to do anything. I miss the sun!!!

Luckily I'm off to visit the folks in southern Florida tomorrow (they're now retired), two weeks there and a week at a conference in Austin, TX ought to solve things! And there is the definite consolation that daylight will last until 1030pm come summertime. B)

I've definitely slowed down lately because of the dark :( If the rain and cold doesn't get you life at 52 degrees north means sunlight only lasts 9am-4pm, which just makes you feel like it's too late after work to do anything. I miss the sun!!!

Same here. At N43 it's dusk at 4:30pm. Thursday is Winter Solstice. Woo hoo! Later sunsets are on the way. :)

Thursday is Winter Solstice. Woo hoo! Later sunsets are on the way. :)

I just keep reminding myself of this fact, over and over. I would LOVE to be able to grab a couple of caches after work, but there's just no daylight left this time of year. I'm anxiously awaiting summer, with its late evenings and plenty of time for caching!

True dat!

I also spend a lot of time thinking about stuff like how you'd go about in short sleeves outside and do stuff past 5am in sunshine... it just seems so alien. Us humans are really adaptable creatures when you think about it.