Garmin Basecamp for Windows

From the Garmin Basecamp Forum:

BaseCamp 3.3 is here! We are starting off with an early Beta release to give everyone a chance to check out the new features and pound on it for a little bit before we release the final version.

Download it here: SEE THE GARMIN FORUM LINKED ABOVE FOR THE FILE.

We have incorporated a lot of user requests from this very forum. If your desired feature/bug fix didn't make it into this release, don't hesitate to remind us.

We are very interested in your feedback, please report bugs and oddities you find, and comment on the new features.

This is the change-list from 3.2.2 to 3.3.0.2. I will add some explanations and screen-shots in later posts.

Added collapsible list folders and sub-lists for improved organization.

Added shaping point support for zumo devices like done in MapSource.

Added explicit support for shaping points. These will be transferred to supporting devices.

Added support for transfer of waypoint categories on supporting devices. These are displayed in BaseCamp as lists.

Added more activity profiles, with improved activity routing on supported maps.

Added specific avoidances for various road classes, removed the road selection slider.

Added custom activity profiles.

Added keyboard short-cuts for editing tools (divide, insert, erase).

Added a tools menu for easier discovery of tool keyboard shortcuts.

Changed to make GPX files on a memory card directly editable.

Changed to read all GPX files on a memory card, similar to how devices behave.

Improved graphing of track data.

Improved graphing when multiple routes or tracks are selected.

Improved layout of geotagged photo, waypoint, route, and track properties.

Added additional statistics to route and track properties.

Added 'Center on map' check-box on route and track dialogs.

Added an easier way to add waypoints to routes (Insert Waypoint button).

Added additional data fields to waypoints (such as address and phone number).

Added display and updating of date last modified for waypoints.

Added display of lists that contain this data item to properties.

Added receiving geocache visits from devices.

Added logging geocache visits on OpenCaching.com.

Added printing of geocaches.

Added alternate notification mechanism (less annoying pop-ups).

Added display settings to adjust width of routes and tracks.

Added support for importing waypoints and tracks from KML/KMZ files.

Added suggested file name when exporting (so it isn't always 'untitled').

Added more map details for higher detail setting.

Added data filters to map view.

Added preserving the dialog size for each data type.

Added option to reset track's altitude to map data.

Added functionality to remember display feature settings per profile.

Changed 'Remove List and Contents' to 'Remove list and unique contents'.

Added Shift-Delete short-cut for 'Remove list and unique contents'.

Improved printing of routes and tracks.

Fixed issues with sending routes to the zumo.

Fixed elevation profile labels for Windows XP (no longer invisible).

Fixed issue when duplicating a route. BaseCamp will now also duplicate the waypoints in that route.

Fixed issue with the data filter not being remembered between application runs.

Looks awesome!

One added feature, or at least I haven't noticed it before is the ability to geo-reference photos based on the time stamp in any track you might have. When you choose to do this a browse menu pops up allowing you to navigate to any folder containing photo's on your computer.

I know there is other software out there that does this but can anyone attest to how the Basecamp implementation works? Has anyone used Basecamp to georeference a folder of pictures yet?

Edited by yogazoo

I just downloaded the 3.3 version. I also updated my software with the WebUpdater that is part of the new download. It crashed my GPS unit. Seems to be a long existing problem. Now my unit will not even power on. I'm not a happy BaseCamper as you can imagine. :mad:

I have no idea what you're talking about re: "WebUpdater that is part of the new download". There is no WebUpdater in the download except that which installs the Beta version. This Basecamp Beta version has nothing to do with updating your gps, something which might have been necessary, but you can't blame the Beta if that didn't work.

On the three Windows computers I downloaded the Beta to, they all installed and now work normally. This is a really huge improvement to BaseCamp for Windows.

I just downloaded the 3.3 version. I also updated my software with the WebUpdater that is part of the new download. It crashed my GPS unit. Seems to be a long existing problem. Now my unit will not even power on. I'm not a happy BaseCamper as you can imagine. :mad:

I have no idea what you're talking about re: "WebUpdater that is part of the new download". There is no WebUpdater in the download except that which installs the Beta version. This Basecamp Beta version has nothing to do with updating your gps, something which might have been necessary, but you can't blame the Beta if that didn't work.

On the three Windows computers I downloaded the Beta to, they all installed and now work normally. This is a really huge improvement to BaseCamp for Windows.

The Garmin WebUpdater program came as part of the 3.3 beta download of BaseCamp, which now my Original BaseCamp and all that data are missing. The bug is in the WebUpdater program, seems it's been there quite some time. The WebUpdater is supposed to keep your Garmin units software up to date, not crash it like it did mine and others according to what I read in the Garmin forums and another source where a friend posted a link to another site. I agree that the new beta map is much nicer now than the old version.

The Garmin WebUpdater program came as part of the 3.3 beta download of BaseCamp, which now my Original BaseCamp and all that data are missing. The bug is in the WebUpdater program, seems it's been there quite some time. The WebUpdater is supposed to keep your Garmin units software up to date, not crash it like it did mine and others according to what I read in the Garmin forums and another source where a friend posted a link to another site. I agree that the new beta map is much nicer now than the old version.

Why was your gps even plugged in while you installed the BaseCamp Beta? Sounds to me like a coincidence that the GPS WebUpdater ran since it's not part of the installation of the Beta.

One added feature, or at least I haven't noticed it before is the ability to geo-reference photos based on the time stamp in any track you might have. When you choose to do this a browse menu pops up allowing you to navigate to any folder containing photo's on your computer.

I know there is other software out there that does this but can anyone attest to how the Basecamp implementation works? Has anyone used Basecamp to georeference a folder of pictures yet?

Basecamp has always done that. It works fine. You just have to make sure the timestamps are correct on your camera.

As an example, this folder of photos was georeferenced using Basecamp: http://www.red90.ca/photos/outdoors/forgetmenot-mountain-july-2011/

Edited by Red90

Why was your gps even plugged in while you installed the BaseCamp Beta? Sounds to me like a coincidence that the GPS WebUpdater ran since it's not part of the installation of the Beta.

My GPS was not plugged is during installing beta. I played with the system for an hour or so, checking out it's features. Later I came back to take another look, this is when I see two BaseCamp icons, one says beta. The other should be my copy of BaseCamp with my data from the last year or so, correct? Now all is missing except the icon. It has been replaced with a send error report to Garmin feature because it's missing. Maybe they will respond in a few days. Now also there was new icon, it say WebUpdater. It came in as part of the beta download. It found my unit ID when I connected, determined there was a update avalable, so I proceeded. My unit powered up and the word "loader" appeared, and everything seem okey dokey, update completed. Now my GPS unit will not power on. WebUpdater came in on the beta version, and I thought it to be the new and updated way to go, last updated in september 2011. My Venture Hc is now updated to the newest version, but there is a bug in the Garmin software update. I'm not alone.

Hi JBnW,

Yes. Import your gpx track, then you can import jpg or jpeg files and geotag them. It also allows for the photo's time to be offset, (in case the camera and gps time are not synchronised).

I'm sure BaseCamp can be had for free, just try it out, chuck it away if you don't like it!

Regards

Bernard