Caching with pets.

johnnyb5

After todays outing I wanted to get some feedback on somthing. Today after a two hour drive to get to a cache.. I was unable to go for it cuz when I arrived at the park there was a no dogs allowed sign.

I know alot of cachers dont cache with dogs so putting details on there page about pets allowed or not is often not done.

Would anyone else like to see an check box on the Hide a cache page which would tell us if pets are allowed or not?

Would love to hear feed back from ya'll

Ya, last time I went to a cache, they didn't specify it wasn't near a stream and my pet fish nearly died by the time we found the cache. icon_biggrin.gif

There's a few old threads about this allready if you do a search. I think one was called "No dogs Allowed"

I don't have a dog, but I will say it is nice of hiders to mention pet access in the description, but there are too many variables.

Sometimes us without dogs would not know for sure if it was safe or allowed for a dog to be there. Some people would not bother to check the box. Some people would make assumptions and check the box accordingly. If it's in a managed area, the rules may change concerning pets. One pet may be capable of a paticular cache, while another may not.

Anyway, while there may be this capability some day, you will still have to take it with a grain of salt. If it's a long distance, you can always call the park managers or give the cache hider an email ahead of time.

Save our forests, wipe your *** with a tree-hugger.

Ya, last time I went to a cache, they didn't specify it wasn't near a stream and my pet fish nearly died by the time we found the cache. icon_biggrin.gif

There's a few old threads about this allready if you do a search. I think one was called "No dogs Allowed"

I don't have a dog, but I will say it is nice of hiders to mention pet access in the description, but there are too many variables.

Sometimes us without dogs would not know for sure if it was safe or allowed for a dog to be there. Some people would not bother to check the box. Some people would make assumptions and check the box accordingly. If it's in a managed area, the rules may change concerning pets. One pet may be capable of a paticular cache, while another may not.

Anyway, while there may be this capability some day, you will still have to take it with a grain of salt. If it's a long distance, you can always call the park managers or give the cache hider an email ahead of time.

Save our forests, wipe your *** with a tree-hugger.

There should be a box for "Yes-dog's allowed" a box for "no Dog's allowed". The default displayed should be "DOn't Know" if's it's not clear.

Other selections should include

• Park Permit required to enter (can't tel you how many times I was prevented from entering)
  • Bathrooms (formy wife especially, what about kids)
  • Wheelchair accessible cache

others? icon_smile.gif

Alan

There should be a box for "Yes-dog's allowed" a box for "no Dog's allowed". The default displayed should be "DOn't Know" if's it's not clear.

• Park Permit required to enter (can't tel you how many times I was prevented from entering)
  • Bathrooms (formy wife especially, what about kids)
  • Wheelchair accessible cache

others? icon_smile.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

Some people would not bother to check the box. Some people would make assumptions and check the box accordingly. If it's in a managed area, the rules may change concerning pets. One pet may be capable of a paticular cache, while another may not.

Not that I wouldn't appreciate a feature like this. I take my dog every where. I even went to a couple in the area of this cache before I noticed it was a reserve. No dogs allowed. OOps

I just think that the cache owner should recognize these conditions and list them in their cache description. I do, although I'm more aware 'cause I cache with a mutt.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

+ Park Permit required to enter (can't tel you how many times I was prevented from entering)+ Bathrooms (formy wife especially, what about kids)+ Wheelchair accessible cache

I hope you are being sarcastic, suggesting there be check boxes for all of those things. Yes, it'd be nice if a geocacher would mention in the description if you need a permit or have to pay a fee to get into a cache's area... but having buttons for bathrooms, wheelchairs, pets, etc - it is just asking way too much from many of the people here.

You have to remember, a LOT of people can't even figure out how to correctly log a travel bug in and out of a cache. Asking everyone to be able to click off various buttons and boxes for every cache they place will only create confusion.

Should the hider put that type of information in their description? Yeah, that would be nice... but keep in mind that most of us don't hunt with our pets. Wheelchair accessable? That'll be hard to find with any cache - and I think you'd be able to tell from the descriptions which caches aren't. Bathrooms? Take care of that before you go.

How about restaurants... what if you get hungry while you are out? Oh, and how about convenience stores - what if your batteries go dead and you need a fresh pack?

Sorry to sound a bit snotty about this, but the way I play the game - going out in the wild for the mini-adventure is part of the fun. I don't need to know if there are bathrooms, or if I can bring my poodle or whatever. You just go and take your chances. icon_smile.gif If people volunteer all that information, great - but don't start requiring boxes and buttons to be checked every time a cache is placed.

</rant>

toe.gif

Click The Toe.

quote:

+ Park Permit required to enter (can't tel you how many times I was prevented from entering)+ Bathrooms (formy wife especially, what about kids)+ Wheelchair accessible cache

I hope you are being sarcastic, suggesting there be check boxes for all of those things. Yes, it'd be nice if a geocacher would mention in the description if you need a permit or have to pay a fee to get into a cache's area... but having buttons for bathrooms, wheelchairs, pets, etc - it is just asking way too much from many of the people here.

You have to remember, a LOT of people can't even figure out how to correctly log a travel bug in and out of a cache. Asking everyone to be able to click off various buttons and boxes for every cache they place will only create confusion.

Should the hider put that type of information in their description? Yeah, that would be nice... but keep in mind that most of us don't hunt with our pets. Wheelchair accessable? That'll be hard to find with any cache - and I think you'd be able to tell from the descriptions which caches aren't. Bathrooms? Take care of that before you go.

How about restaurants... what if you get hungry while you are out? Oh, and how about convenience stores - what if your batteries go dead and you need a fresh pack?

Sorry to sound a bit snotty about this, but the way I play the game - going out in the wild for the mini-adventure is part of the fun. I don't need to know if there are bathrooms, or if I can bring my poodle or whatever. You just go and take your chances. icon_smile.gif If people volunteer all that information, great - but don't start requiring boxes and buttons to be checked every time a cache is placed.

</rant>

toe.gif

Click The Toe.

The point is the adventure. At what point does too much information about the location take the fun out of it. If our GPS's were 100% accurate and lead you exactly to the cache, would this be as much fun?

You are suggesting forcing checkboxes for more information about the area. If you just want the information to be optional, then the description is the place for it, and we already have that system in place. If a park is dog friendly and the placer wants you to know that it is, then they have probably listed it on the description.

If you want to know more before you go, use a map to get an idea of where the cache is located. If it is in a park, call first to see what their ammenities are.

You don't cache with my wife! icon_wink.gif I don't care about bathrooms, but she does. It's hard enough to get her to go (and she won't go without her dog) so this kind of info is helpful in my family.

No one is forcing anyone to answer any questions. That's why I said the default on all these questions are don't know If the hider happens to recall seeing a sign that says DOg's OK on leashes then he has a box to check. This procedure more or less is used in the other caching web page. It's also a good chceklist for the hider if he wants to report casual info like this that some hunters would find helpful.

Alan

You don't cache with my wife! icon_wink.gif I don't care about bathrooms, but she does. It's hard enough to get her to go (and she won't go without her dog) so this kind of info is helpful in my family.

No one is forcing anyone to answer any questions. That's why I said the default on all these questions are don't know If the hider happens to recall seeing a sign that says DOg's OK on leashes then he has a box to check. This procedure more or less is used in the other caching web page. It's also a good chceklist for the hider if he wants to report casual info like this that some hunters would find helpful.

Alan

If the default is Don't Know, then that is exactly what we have now. If they know and want to tell you, they would list it in the description, it would be there. For conveying this type of information, I still think the description is the best place to do it. I will admit that if you wanted to search only for dog friendly caches, having this as a checkbox and seachable field would make this helpful. However, adding more fields to the database are bound to add complexity, so unless a lot of users really want this information presented in this fashion I still think it is unnecessary.

quote:
Originally posted by GoldKey:

If the default is Don't Know, then that is exactly what we have now. If they know and want to tell you, they would list it in the description, it would be there. For conveying this type of information, I still think the description is the best place to do it. I will admit that if you wanted to search only for dog friendly caches, having this as a checkbox and seachable field would make this helpful. However, adding more fields to the database are bound to add complexity, so unless a lot of users really want this information presented in this fashion I still think it is unnecessary.

I use the the name of the place or its management with this rule of thumb:

Preserve = no dogs

Owned by the Nature Conservancy (or anything with "Conserv-" in its name) = no dogs

Run/owned by the Audobon Society = no dogs

Wildlife Sanctuary = no dogs

I did a hike (not a cache) at a state preserve; the web site did not mention dogs, but a paper sign thumbtacked to a post in the parking lot forbade their presence. We ignored it (our dog stayed on on the trail and on her leash for that hike), but we had no defense had we been observed by park mgmt.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

I have to preface this with the statement that neither Sissy or I are dog people...

I would have to vote NO to any change telling people if the cache is dog-friendly or not. I feel that is the responsibility of the dog owner/handler. Check marks for amenties--maybe, but leaning towards no on that, too.

Now IF (big IF) Jeremy wants to create a seperate "reviews" section for caches, (which is seperate from logging a find) or link to an enterprising person on a different, but synergetic, site with cache reviews...

However, if there DID come a time where there is a checkbox to say if the cache is dog friendly, I'd probably routinely check "no." Why? I think it slightly unfair to dogless cachers for dog owners to train dogs to sniff out caches, but most especially, scat on the trail and those who don't mind their mutt "marking" the cache--that's simply disgusting.

Besides, with the majority of chaches having "I don't know" as an entry for if the cache site is dog friendly, the rating would be useless.

My two cents.

CR

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

However, if there DID come a time where there is a checkbox to say if the cache is dog friendly, I'd probably routinely check "no." Why? I think it slightly unfair to dogless cachers for dog owners to train dogs to sniff out caches, but most especially, scat on the trail and those who don't mind their mutt "marking" the cache--that's simply disgusting.

How many pee-stained caches have you found? Did you test the stains for species origination? There are some very dominant and possessive human cachers, so that might not have been dog urine you smelled....

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

I'm not a dog hater, as a matter of fact, when I owned a dog, I was a dog lover. However while I loved my dog, that didn't mean that I love your dog.

Dog owners are funny that way, they feel that everyone loves their dog as much as they do. There's this guy who walks his poodle in the park, and lets his dog go right up to people sitting on the park benches. The dog starts jumping up on the people and all he does is go, "Fluffy, stop that". What he should be doing is pulling the leash to keep the dog away from the people who don't want the dog's paws all over them. When the dog tried to jump on me, I sternly told it to scram. The dog owner looked at me as if I was a dog hater, which I'm not.

I do however dislike a dog that is not trained, and the dog owners who let their dogs do whatever they want. Other than that, I don't mind patting a cute, well behaved dog on the head every once in a while.

Having said that, when placing a cache, I feel that the cache page should be about the cache and the cache hunter, not about the dog. Now, if I know for a fact that dogs are not allowed, I would have no problem putting that in the description. Personally, however, I don't think that geocaching with a dog would fit my style, but I do know that others bring their dogs to each cache. Each geocacher is free to do whatever they want, and whether they bring a dog or not makes no difference to me. I don't feel that each time I place a cache that I should have to check a box regarding whether or not a dog can come along, after all, it's not about the dog.

If a check box is required, how about a box that says "don't know, don't care"?

Guess I should of known before I posted this topic it would get out of hand. It was just a simple question because the caches I was trying for all had big signs stating no dogs allow. And it would be nice to know that before hand be it a check box or a common courtesy in the description. I dont bring my dog caching all the time. But when he is with me Its just a bit of a bummer when you get to a trail head and it says no dogs. And yes I do research and call parks and all of that when I can but I keep cache pages in my truck so if im out I dont usually know exactly where I'm going.

But in any case thanks for those opinions that actually had to do with this topic.

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I would have to vote NO to any change telling people if the cache is dog-friendly or not. I feel that is the responsibility of the dog owner/handler. Check marks for amenties--maybe, but leaning towards no on that, too.

Besides, with the majority of chaches having "I don't know" as an entry for if the cache site is dog friendly, the rating would be useless.

Since this is a repeat of a few previous threads, I had no intention to respond. Then I read some of the comments...

I'm confused about your comment that this is the responsibility of the dog owner. I enjoy bringing my pup with me when I go caching. As a responsible pet owner, I am interested to know whether the locations allow pets. While it is obvious that some locations allow or forbid dogs, this is the exception, not the rule.

I do not believe that it is unfair to allow a canine assist in finding a cache. Are we going to say that it is unfair to cache with friends or family because it increases the chances of finding a cache? I wish my pup was better at finding caches. Usually, she is way too busy trying to chase lizards, field mice, groundhogs, etc.

I also disagree that a majority of 'don't know' answers would render this service useless. It would only be useless for those caches that the owner 'didn't know'.

The remaining comments seemed to focus on bad dog owners, not whether this information would be helpful.

In my opinion, providing this information (and info regarding rest rooms, handicap access, playgrounds, boat rental, etc.) is a kind service. I think we should be happy to provide this service to the people who search for our caches.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

The remaining comments seemed to focus on bad dog owners, not whether this information would be helpful.

If you were referring to my post, while I did comment on bad dog owners, the focus was on not needing another box to check, when the hiders may not know if a particular hiding place will be dog friendly or not.

There is plenty of room in the description to post this information if the hider happens to know, and wants to share this information on their page. I don't believe that it should be a requirement of the hider to research the spot to see if dogs are allowed or not.

If you are serious about geocaching, and having a dog with you prevents you from finding the cache, then maybe bringing the dog along isn't a good idea. If walking or excercising your dog is your main priority, then you may need to be content with passing on some caches. Nobody is saying you shouldn't bring your dog. Just don't require the hider to do the research for you.

I see many posts on how if it wasn't for Rover the Super Sniffer, the person would not have found the cache. Some even have pictures which I assume are staged to make it look like the dog actually found the cache. I always found these posts to be amusing because I seriously doubt that the dog had anything to do with finding the cache. I'm not saying that once in a while it doesn't happen, but I think for the most part that the finders are just having fun with their pets and their logs.

One thing I am curious about is how many cacher's dogs actually do understand that they are looking for a cache and are able to sniff them out? I'm sure that some do, but seriously think that unless your dog is a bloodhound, the dog is mostly there for companionship or protection, and does little to help find the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I stole these icons from someone else here (with his permission, of course) and I don't remember who, but: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=25486

Wheelchair accessible, bathrooms, dogs allowed... all of that is stated on the first line of the cache description with little fuss.

(Edit: I stole them from ScooterJ.)

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

How many pee-stained caches have you found? Did you test the stains for species origination? There are some very dominant and possessive human cachers, so that might not have been dog urine you smelled....

ROFL!

Actually, I'm probably still a little peeved at having to find a hose because of somebody's huge dog. The park is clearly marked asking people to clean up after their mutts. But, no! Somebody's got to leave a huge mound for me.

No, I'm not a dog lover. Grew up with way too many of them and the more I'm around them, the less I can stand them.

They'd be better if they acted more like cats...

CR

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

One thing I am curious about is how many cacher's dogs actually do understand that they are looking for a cache and are able to sniff them out? I'm sure that some do, but seriously think that unless your dog is a bloodhound, the dog is mostly there for companionship or protection, and does little to help find the cache.

I often take my retriever with me. She can't find the caches that I've set out, let alone anyone else's box. In fact, she can be an annoyance--winding her leash around bushes while I search, darting off after rabbits and squirrels while I try to hold still and read my GPS, and so on.

What she provides is companionship. I don't feel alone on a trail with her along and I enjoy her enthusiasm. Whether I find a cache or not, a day in the woods is a great day for her. It reminds me that I should feel that joy, too.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

That was Kodak's4. See this post.

Wow. Time sure flies. I thought I saw that last fall, not this spring - but you're right. That is the post I was thinking of.

As our Rachi (pictured in that thread) gets on in years, we're thinking of a Golden Retriever as our next dog. That dog will be trained to sniff out rubbermaid and tupperware (as well as ammo boxes) from the day we get her home!!

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

That dog will be trained to sniff out rubbermaid and tupperware (as well as ammo boxes) from the day we get her home!!

Gonna make for a heck of a mess in the kitchen as s/he continuously pulls the cabinets open aint it? icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

quote:

That dog will be trained to sniff out rubbermaid and tupperware (as well as ammo boxes) from the day we get her home!!

Gonna make for a heck of a mess in the kitchen as s/he continuously pulls the cabinets open aint it? icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

No way! Millie loves the hunt as much as I do.

All I ask is that people tell us in their post of any potential hazardous areas. People with dogs, or children, would appreciate the heads up.

And no, she has not found a cache for me yet. Her sniffer is not tuned to that scent...only organics get her attention.

It would be nice if other dog owners would teach their dogs to crap off the trail though... or at least remove it for them afterwards. Even dog lovers hate to step in it.

Now if only we could get the deer, bear, moose, and more to do the same.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.

Luckily here in the UK, there are very few places that dogs aren't allowed. Of the 50+ caches we've visited, all except two (which were in London) have been done with our dogs. Sometimes you just need to find an alternative route if there are stiles, but otherwise there has never really been a problem.

We also know the area well enough to know when we are likely to encounter problems.

I think that stating whether a cache is accessable with a dog must be left to the person hiding it. We state on out profile page that all our caches are dog-friendly. If there are other facilities at the site, that is mentioned on the cache page.

I hear Europeans are more generally relaxed about dogs. In FRance you can take your dog to the restaurant with you. Here it's against health codes unless you're outdoors and many restaurants won't allow it even then. Makes it realy hard to travel with your dog.

Alan

I meant in the countryside. Dogs aren't allowed in restaurants here either, though sitting outside a pub is usually fine. icon_wink.gif

I don't know about France, but interestingly, the highest number of dogs I've ever seen 'eating out' with their owners was in Miami.

I meant in the countryside. Dogs aren't allowed in restaurants here either, though sitting outside a pub is usually fine. icon_wink.gif

I don't know about France, but interestingly, the highest number of dogs I've ever seen 'eating out' with their owners was in Miami.

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

quote:

-Centaur

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/img/logo_small.jpg

The trick to this is to train the dog to close cabinet doors. That's what we've done with Kodak - his job is to close every door that's open. He'll close the cabinet doors and drawers, close the front and back door, etc.

But he still paws at the pile of ammo cans I have sitting on my office floor, the eternal optimist.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

quote:

-Centaur

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/img/logo_small.jpg

The trick to this is to train the dog to close cabinet doors. That's what we've done with Kodak - his job is to close every door that's open. He'll close the cabinet doors and drawers, close the front and back door, etc.

But he still paws at the pile of ammo cans I have sitting on my office floor, the eternal optimist.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

On one of the threads on here a person complained that he and his son were attacked by snakes and other transient hazards. He in tiurn blamed the cache hider for his woes. If someone were to check the tick box that this is a dog friendly cache, the searcher goes out with his dog and takes and alternate route in (I know extremely rare that we don't pick the perfect route in everytime, but go with me on this), and the dog falls off a embankment and gets injured. Is this going to come back on the hider for not warning the dog owners.

Don't the little "Klingons" make most caches undog friendly??

As far as wheelchair accessablity - why not start a thread entitled "Wheelchair Friendly Caches" then searchers or hiders could post caches they find to be fitting. Those needing accessability can read the thread.

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

I'm not sure what the uproar is about, I take my human with me on all my cache hunts. icon_wink.gif

There is about 45 or so caches that I cannot go to because I'm not allowed there. If someone would let me know before I get there, it would save both my human and I a lot of frustration. I have seen the same frustration with a lot of humans when they try to take strollers on terrian that they shouldn't, then then blame the person who placed the cache for not explaning that the difficulity level was a 2 if you walk, or a 3 if you have a stroller, or a 4 if you have cruthes, or a 5 if you have a wheel chair. icon_biggrin.gif

To sum it up, the more information that can be provided can only make the experience better, Remember, you still have to find the cach, the added info just makes the outing less painfull.

And no, I don't jump on people, and yes, my human cleans up after me.

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew, Irene & Douglas:

Most definitely.. I think a "Geohound Friendly Area" button on the detail page would be a great idea. I also think it should be required info before the details will be processed.

I want to bring my smelly pet monkey along when I hunt - but I guess some places don't allow smelly monkies. I think that a "smelly monkey allowed" button should be required info before the details will be processed. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

I want a Nudibranch button. I take my nudibranch with me on every geocaching trip.

Here he is in his hunter orange outfit:

http://www.divegallery.com/cfidelis.htm

Doh! And I thought this was some sort of reference to an adult entertainment place. icon_razz.gif

He looks rather intimidating, although I bet he is actually quite squishable. Tell ya what... he's allowed to seek any of my caches that he wants. icon_wink.gif

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:

I hear Europeans are more generally relaxed about dogs. In FRance you can take your dog to the restaurant with you.

Alan

I hear that in Korea they have dogs in restaurants as well. icon_wink.gif

At least in New England, you can assume that dogs are allowed, unless you are going to an Audobon property or a beach. There are a few exceptions, and I very much appreciate if the cache page mentions this either in the description or in one of the logs. There is one cache on my "closest" list that I haven't done only because dogs are not allowed, and I'm thankful that this was mentioned, saving me a half hour drive only to be disappointed and angered.

"Everybody wants to save the world, but nobody wants to help mom with the dishes," -P.J. O'Rourke

quote:

No, I'm not a dog lover. Grew up with way too many of them and the more I'm around them, the less I can stand them.

They'd be better if they acted more like cats...

CR

We take our cat with us. Kelley has glaucoma and requires medication twice a day. When we go out of town she goes with us. So far she has been on 5 finds. We have yet to see a "No Cats Allowed" sign. icon_wink.gif

Here is Kelley looking for Dead-drop Alpha.

Kelley The GeoCache Kitty

Larebel

When you got nothin', you got nothin' to lose.

[This message was edited by Larebel on November 09, 2002 at 04:27 PM.]

[This message was edited by Larebel on November 09, 2002 at 04:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by Larebel on November 09, 2002 at 05:10 PM.]