[FEATURE] #geocaching on Twitter

Black James Cash

I would like to request that geocaching.com just add a simple 12 characters to the module that, whenever you log a find and geocaching.com posts it to twitter, the post include the hashtag #geocaching. This consist of a space, and the 11 characters of the hashtag. They already have the module working that says "*user* found geocache *listing* *link to cache*" when a cache is logged, and adding the hashtag shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This hashtag could tell other users of twitter when a person logs a find, as I found many geocachers on twitter use the hashtag #geocaching when they post a related tweet.

Just a simple request, from a simple social geocacher...

Thanks

I would like to request that geocaching.com just add a simple 12 characters to the module that, whenever you log a find and geocaching.com posts it to twitter, the post include the hashtag #geocaching. This consist of a space, and the 11 characters of the hashtag. They already have the module working that says "*user* found geocache *listing* *link to cache*" when a cache is logged, and adding the hashtag shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This hashtag could tell other users of twitter when a person logs a find, as I found many geocachers on twitter use the hashtag #geocaching when they post a related tweet.

Just a simple request, from a simple social geocacher...

Thanks

NO THANKS! It is already available here. This is not MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Plaxo, Bebo, Cellufun, DailyBooth, Fubar, Buzz, LiveJournal or any of the other dozen flavor of the month sites. Which ones should GC cater to? Right, none.

Edited by baloo&bd

I'll second that...ish. I like seeing the #geocaching hashtag only an opt-in thing where people purposely add the tag to bring attention to an interesting, related tweet/experience.

It bugs me when people I follow auto-tweet from any app, really. I tend to find that people who start out auto-tweeting every find (geocaching, or any other site-that-shall-not-be-named) very soon stop the practice, likely due to friends/followers complaining of tweet spam. If you really want to share, do it manually please, it might draw my attention more than cookie-cutter routine auto-mentions.

Keep #geocaching open! ;)

NO THANKS! It is already available here. This is not MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Plaxo, Bebo, Cellufun, DailyBooth, Fubar, Buzz, LiveJournal or any of the other dozen flavor of the month sites. Which ones should GC cater to? Right, none.

You're aware of the fact that the OP is requesting a tweak to a feature that's already available,right?

This isn't a request to add a new social network, it's a request to update the output for one that is already present.

While I emphasize with your request to minimize the social networking added to the site, there's no reason to jump all over the OP for requesting a change to the existing feature.

Edited by northernpenguin

I'll second that...ish. I like seeing the #geocaching hashtag only an opt-in thing where people purposely add the tag to bring attention to an interesting, related tweet/experience.

It bugs me when people I follow auto-tweet from any app, really. I tend to find that people who start out auto-tweeting every find (geocaching, or any other site-that-shall-not-be-named) very soon stop the practice, likely due to friends/followers complaining of tweet spam. If you really want to share, do it manually please, it might draw my attention more than cookie-cutter routine auto-mentions.

Keep #geocaching open! ;)

I agree with your point here, that the auto #geocaching hashtag can cause the signal-to-noise ratio to get a bit diluted.

Still, offering the #geocaching hashtag would encourage many of us to use the same hashtag rather than some people using #caching, #geocaching, #cachers, #geocaching, #geostashing, #gpsgamethingy , etc etc.

Maybe make that a per-log option to tack it on there. (or perhaps offer a tag cloud to click from under the log text when post to Twitter is checked)

Maybe a separate tag specifically for find auto-tweets? It would be a feasible option I suppose, but please don't filter them into the #geocaching hash... :unsure:

Maybe #foundit or #gcfind or something *shrug*

True, the #geocaching hash tag is more about discussion than auto-tweet spamming.

#foundit works good for an auto-log I suppose, or hey why not #tftc .... ph34r.gif

You're aware of the fact that the OP is requesting a tweak to a feature that's already available,right?

This isn't a request to add a new social network, it's a request to update the output for one that is already present.

While I emphasize with your request to minimize the social networking added to the site, there's no reason to jump all over the OP for requesting a change to the existing feature.

I could get behind this idea. There's certainly plenty of space to add #geocaching to "Found the Geocache [name] http:coord.info/example"

Does that link need to be updated? It says field notes from the Iphone app, I'm sure it also now includes the droid and Windows phone apps.

Maybe a separate tag specifically for find auto-tweets? It would be a feasible option I suppose, but please don't filter them into the #geocaching hash... :unsure:

Maybe #foundit or #gcfind or something *shrug*

True, if every find was logged with #geocaching, it could be spammous, but I saw that there is already some applications that, when you log a find, tweets with #geocaching.

I like #tftc, and #foundit, but i like #geocaching most, as the origional post already says "I found it."

What about #geocaching AND #tftc? Or am I pushing my luck?

Thanks for all the feedback.