It happened again

pppingme

I noticed the reviewer immediately archived the cache. Why does a cache get archived just because it was blown up? Shouldn't it be disabled to give the CO an opportunity to replace it if s/he wishes? I know it can be un-archived, but that requires the CO to get the reviewer involved again. Then again, maybe that's the point.

That is if the CO isn't now wearing a government issue orange jumpsuit and leg irons in a small cage Somerset in Cuba. which is a real possibility when the bomb squad gets involved given the paranoid nature of the USA. after all some so called terrorists have been held with no charge for nearly 10 years with less evidence than the twisted remains of an ammo can.

the CO would be best to make themselves scarce and certainly not replace the blown up cache.

if the local authorities are granted some sort of preliminary "heads up" ... as in they're made aware and briefed on geocaching ... and the departments have limited administrative access to the coordinates to hidden caches in their local area, so they can look up and verify a cache in the location before they panic and blow it up.

i had a cop see me coming out of a small patch of trees near a shopping plaza. he pulled up to me with his window open and a curious look on his face ... i just smiles and said "geocache" ... he laughed and said "oh, i thought you went in there to relieve yourself" ... that was pretty much the whole conversation ... weather he knew what "geocache" was or not ... the situation was diffused quickly when i introduced a "reason" for being where i was. same thing would be true if they saw a dot on a map where said "suspicious package" is.

my 2 cents

the CO would be best to make themselves scarce and certainly not replace the blown up cache.

Not me. I place my caches with permission. Geocaching is not illegal. So I'm not going to run and hide if some busy body mistakes one of my caches for a bomb and it gets blown up.

But I may have the upper hand. I work regularly with the sheriff's department. I've discussed geocaching with them and they have a print out map of the geocaches in the area as well as information on how to look them up if needed. ;)

Not me. I place my caches with permission. Geocaching is not illegal. So I'm not going to run and hide if some busy body mistakes one of my caches for a bomb and it gets blown up.

But I may have the upper hand. I work regularly with the sheriff's department. I've discussed geocaching with them and they have a print out map of the geocaches in the area as well as information on how to look them up if needed. ;)

Our CLEO is aware of geocaching and the GIS tech and others at central dispatch are geocachers. Guess that helps too. :rolleyes:

I noticed the reviewer immediately archived the cache. Why does a cache get archived just because it was blown up? Shouldn't it be disabled to give the CO an opportunity to replace it if s/he wishes? I know it can be un-archived, but that requires the CO to get the reviewer involved again. Then again, maybe that's the point.

That is if the CO isn't now wearing a government issue orange jumpsuit and leg irons in a small cage Somerset in Cuba. which is a real possibility when the bomb squad gets involved given the paranoid nature of the USA. after all some so called terrorists have been held with no charge for nearly 10 years with less evidence than the twisted remains of an ammo can.

Have you got a shred of evidence that anything like this has ever happened? The worst that I've heard of is a rare case of the cache owner being ordered to cover some or all of the costs.

Have you got a shred of evidence that anything like this has ever happened? The worst that I've heard of is a rare case of the cache owner being ordered to cover some or all of the costs.

ok it was exaggerated somwhat. but i did hear of one CO (the type who was stood next to the cache telling the bomb squad that it was harmless and explaining geocaching while they still continued to blow up the cache) ending up in a cell for a few hours and eventually being released with a charge of wasting police/bomb squad time and being threatened with being charged for creating a hoax bomb

ok it was exaggerated somwhat. but i did hear of one CO (the type who was stood next to the cache telling the bomb squad that it was harmless and explaining geocaching while they still continued to blow up the cache) ending up in a cell for a few hours and eventually being released with a charge of wasting police/bomb squad time and being threatened with being charged for creating a hoax bomb

Extremely rare (as to the point of being almost unheard of) and it will most likely be tossed out by the judge if it even gets that far. Keep us informed.

Extremely rare (as to the point of being almost unheard of) and it will most likely be tossed out by the judge if it even gets that far. Keep us informed.

No doubt tossed out by a judge, but not after spending several thousands of dollars on an attorney.

Where did this occur? When?

Can we get a separate section or something so the rest of us don't have to keep ignoring these threads?

Because "geocache mistaken for bomb" is getting seriously old.

Can we get a separate section or something so the rest of us don't have to keep ignoring posts by cranky cachers?

Because "rude posts" are getting seriously old.

+1

Why does a cache get archived just because it was blown up?

I've never been a Reviewer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. So...

I suspect that Groundspeak's stance on caches which are forcibly removed by a government entity is, that cache should not be there, hence, the rapid archival. Whether this process is reasonable or not is for another thread.

Why does a cache get archived just because it was blown up?

I've never been a Reviewer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. So...

I feel like this qoute needs to go in my signature too :laughing::laughing::laughing:

but I already have one from you, so I dont want to look like a forum stalker. lol

some of the stuff you say really cracks me up, thanks for the laugh

In the OP link and below the article someone posted this:

Americans... so terrified and paranoid they would actually believe that someone would place a bomb in the woods. Even back in the 70s when the IRA were setting off bombs all over the place in the UK, nobody was this scared. You people really need to develop a sense of proportion, and stop blowing things up so much... :/

Sorta has a point.

1328064094[/url]' post='4961523']
1328062082[/url]' post='4961504']

Americans... so terrified and paranoid they would actually believe that someone would place a bomb in the woods.

A bomb in the woods? Like this one? http://www.starhq.co...rs-guilty-plea/

Did you read your link? The guy wrecked his car and threw the pipe bomb into the woods. Not really a stellar case documenting people placing bombs in the woods.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger
1328064094[/url]' post='4961523']
1328062082[/url]' post='4961504']

Americans... so terrified and paranoid they would actually believe that someone would place a bomb in the woods.

A bomb in the woods? Like this one? http://www.starhq.co...rs-guilty-plea/

Did you read your link? The guy wrecked his car and threw the pipe bomb into the woods. Not really a stellar case documenting people placing bombs in the woods.

I did, but as a local that has geocache listings in the Dennis Cove area I know the rest of the story. That pipe bomb had been stashed in the area before the wreck. :ph34r:

anyone can get ammocans,

they are cheap, or even free, good, stable, air and water tight,

and will last many years as a geocache container.

in my contry ammo cans are not considered important to recycle,

their cost is the same as the cost to send them back,

so millitary related people can take them home

and use them and even give them to civilian friends.

BUT there is one rule, the military markings, often seen as stickers or orange or yellow paint,

must be covered by paint or removed before used as a geocache container for example.

mate black spray paint works great, add a nice harder to find camoflage to it too..

and then add a sticker in a dark colour FRIENDLY GEOCACHE GAME DO NOT REMOVE

want to play along, see geocaching.com

place this text on the OUTSIDE of the box..

if the local authorities are granted some sort of preliminary "heads up" ... as in they're made aware and briefed on geocaching ... and the departments have limited administrative access to the coordinates to hidden caches in their local area, so they can look up and verify a cache in the location before they panic and blow it up.

If people are concerned about geocaches being mistaken for bombs, how long before bombs are mistaken for geocaches? I'd love law enforcement to be aware of geocaches and placements, but just to be a devil's advocate, it shouldn't mean they don't worry about reports even though they know it's a geocache location. If someone wanted to do harm, all they'd then need to do is replace a real geocache with a bomb. Hidden in plain sight, as it were. I wouldn't want the bomb squad to have legitimate reason to just say "oh don't worry, it's just a geocache".

That said, having enforcement know where they are is certainly something I'm sure they would appreciate so they'd have more knowledge about the situation at hand, and how to approach it, rather than going in blind and only thinking "bomb". I'd rather them be thinking "possible geocache" as they approach the container :)

Also...

Can we get a separate section or something so the rest of us don't have to keep ignoring these threads?

Because "geocache mistaken for bomb" is getting seriously old.

Yes, these threads should be properly labeled "bomb thread". :rolleyes:

lol did no one else get this? Gotta give you props on that one, 4wheelin_fool ;)

Edited by thebruce0

anyone can get ammocans,

they are cheap, or even free, good, stable, air and water tight,

and will last many years as a geocache container.

in my contry ammo cans are not considered important to recycle,

their cost is the same as the cost to send them back,

so millitary related people can take them home

and use them and even give them to civilian friends.

BUT there is one rule, the military markings, often seen as stickers or orange or yellow paint,

must be covered by paint or removed before used as a geocache container for example.

mate black spray paint works great, add a nice harder to find camoflage to it too..

and then add a sticker in a dark colour FRIENDLY GEOCACHE GAME DO NOT REMOVE

want to play along, see geocaching.com

place this text on the OUTSIDE of the box..

Who's rule?

I feel like this qoute needs to go in my signature too

but I already have one from you, so I dont want to look like a forum stalker.

For the record, I stole that quote from Snoogans. Credit should go to him.

I don't know if it was a Snoog original, or if he stole it from someone else. :ph34r:

One of my favorite quotes is:

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit"

-W. Somerset Maugham

:lol::PB)