It happened again

pppingme

Ammo cans are especially susceptible to suspicion from muggles.

In my opinion, all ammo cans should have Groundspeak "Official Geocache" stickers on them.

I bet we would end up losing less of them to the Police and Bomb Squad.

We have seen caches blown up with the cache owner standing right there. We have seen film cans blown up. We have seen microwaves blown up. No bomb squad is going to trust an "Official Geocache" sticker. If we can buy them, so can mad bombers.

If a traffic counter is not safe from being blown up, nothing we hide, regardless how we hide it, is safe from being blown up. The only way to stop geocaches from being blown up is archive them all and pick them up. Game will be pretty boring, but at least we won't have the bomb squad practicing on our caches.

This should not have been placed where someone could have stumbled across it. The report was not clear as to whether or not it was hidden. If I was not a geocacher I can guarantee I would not be blindly reaching into cruxes of trees or under rocks or even looking there. reminds me of an ammo can i once found; it was a re-used ammo box from the military it still had "caution explosive" sticker on the side of it. my log that day read,"You know you're a geo cacher when; you find an ammo box in the forest marked "explosive" and proceed to open it with no abandon."

This should not have been placed where someone could have stumbled across it. The report was not clear as to whether or not it was hidden. If I was not a geocacher I can guarantee I would not be blindly reaching into cruxes of trees or under rocks or even looking there. reminds me of an ammo can i once found; it was a re-used ammo box from the military it still had "caution explosive" sticker on the side of it. my log that day read,"You know you're a geo cacher when; you find an ammo box in the forest marked "explosive" and proceed to open it with no abandon."

Most ammo boxes are not marked "explosive". In fact, I really don't believe I have ever seen one with that marked on it. These are much more typical:

ammo-box.jpg

2207.gif

41ZP8ue%2BjVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm sorry folks, but this kind of stuff don't happen in my neck of the woods. :laughing: Ours new report is more likely to read: Ammo can that was part of geocache game reported missing. :anibad: We only have problems with theft of ammo cans. They look more like a tool or tackle box than a bomb. Any good ole' boy would have to look inside if they found a ammo can stashed. :lol:

Most ammo boxes are not marked "explosive". In fact, I really don't believe I have ever seen one with that marked on it. These are much more typical:

he said "sticker"

ammoboxside.JPG

he said "sticker"

ammoboxside.JPG

Fair enough (I saw your post, too, Cheryl). But an official military "Explosives" sticker on an official military ammo can would probably not cause much alarm, either. The alarm was cause by the person that called it in, and by the LEOs that decided to call out the bomb squad. What it said or didn't say on the can is irrelevant. We have heard that from bomb squad LEOs here as well as many reports of caches blown up where logic was obviously NOT included in the equation.

PS: That also says "cartridges for weapons" on it. Why would that be less believable than the "explosives" sticker? Apparently it wasn't believed that it contained simple cartridges for weapons.

Edited by knowschad

he said "sticker"

ammoboxside.JPG

The ones I see mostly now have paint over the stickers, but not over what was once the contents. The 81mm mortor tubes are almost impossable to find now, but I have a source for some of the 3 round cans. They are great for storage, but I found one made into a geocache container once.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/display/c6e1390d-e8c7-40ec-b661-3281c046b987.jpg

I've found this cache. Actually, this is the 3rd time I've found this cache. It was a large container in a bucket the first time that got muggled. Then it was a smaller container in a tree that got muggled. This one was - obviously - a large ammo can (not a 20 cal - bigger) ammo can that was chained to the base of a tree in the hollow of a tree. The chain (when I found it) was well concealed, and the cache was covered over with wood that matched the tree. The hiders are well-known geocachers in the area and have been at this for quite a long time, and are very good at creating hides.

This area has obviously been used by homeless folks in the past - it's a little piece of land with broken bottles, shopping carts, etc. all over the place. That, at least, is at the entry to the area. The area itself is actually a fairly spooky and beautiful spot in the middle of the city. The cache was called "Zombie Library" for a reason. Lots of cool trees and brush. TOTALLY out of the public eye.

I'm seriously wondering why ANYONE who wasn't shady and who wasn't a geocacher (not necessarily mutually exclusive, I know ;) ) would be back there. To me this cries, "We need to give the bomb squad some practice time."

If you saw this cache, you would all be even more perplexed by the situation. It's the most obviously non-bomb ammo can ever. As a few of us in the area have noted, our first thought would be "hobo stash" instead of bomb or anything else. Further, the "woods" of which they speak is really just a spit of land near industrial complexes and strip malls. I would never go there if I had been seeking a cache and I seriously wonder why a father and son were walking there in the first place. Plenty of parks and preserves in the area, so it's truly bizarre.

Can we get a separate section or something so the rest of us don't have to keep ignoring these threads?

Because "geocache mistaken for bomb" is getting seriously old.

Who exactly do you mean by "the rest of us"? Got any statistics on that?

That's why we Southners use the term "Y'all" so loosely. :) We are polite and don't want to offend "them people". :D

Jokes aside, I have never saw a geocache that has been destroyed by a bomb squad look anything like a bomb. Devices known as "Hoax Devices" which are made to look like explosive devices are a felony to possess, and would result in the BATF knocking on someone's door. Along with the SWAT team. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::blink::ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I'm thinking the bomb squad needs to have a geocaching account. They can look up the bomb in question and see if has had finds on it. If it has and there were no other problems it could save them some work. It will probibly never happen but could save some caches and some of our reputation. I would hate to see stuff like this end the game of geocaching as I have just gotten into it and am having a great time. I only wish I had found out about it 10 years ago.

-WarNinjas

I'm thinking the bomb squad needs to have a geocaching account. They can look up the bomb in question and see if has had finds on it. If it has and there were no other problems it could save them some work. It will probibly never happen but could save some caches and some of our reputation. I would hate to see stuff like this end the game of geocaching as I have just gotten into it and am having a great time. I only wish I had found out about it 10 years ago.

-WarNinjas

Not a bad idea. Then when they are done with the training exercise they can log the NA. This is how it works, if the bomb squad is called something is going to go bang, regardless.

Edited by jholly

"Investigators were on the scene at 5365 Bridle Creek Way at about 5 p.m. Monday after a father and son stumbled upon a suspicious ammo can while hiking in the woods"

Wait.......so either they have street addresses in the "woods" or the father and son carried the ammo can out of the woods back to Bridle Creek Way?

:laughing:

One of the books I tossed in there is going to more difficult to read now with charred pages :) The "toy robot" already seemed to have an arm or two blown off so my kids passed on it hehe. My kids were more excited to find this cache than any other in recent memory...full of fake hands/skulls/dvd's/Halloween memorabilia etc. Thanks for the hide creekstompers - made a memory.

The cache container/group of people in the picture are NOT in the location where the container was hidden. I'm guessing it was moved by the man and his son. At one point I helped maintain this cache.

I have to wonder about someone being concerned enough to call the police yet feel safe enough to pick it up and carry it to a new location. :huh:

Can we get a separate section or something so the rest of us don't have to keep ignoring these threads?

Most computers have a Delete button you can use if you don't like the conversation going on.

Delete button won't delete a thread, unfortunately. Oftentimes, I wish that it could.

The cache container/group of people in the picture are NOT in the location where the container was hidden. I'm guessing it was moved by the man and his son. At one point I helped maintain this cache.

I have to wonder about someone being concerned enough to call the police yet feel safe enough to pick it up and carry it to a new location. :huh:

This ammo box was secured by a heavy gauge bike lock to the base of the tree - I doubt it was moved by anyone other than the bomb squad.

This ammo box was secured by a heavy gauge bike lock to the base of the tree - I doubt it was moved by anyone other than the bomb squad.

Speaking of locks, the cache has been locked. :laughing: The zombie apocalypse is spreading. Don't say you were not warned. :ph34r:

You know, this is a really good idea. It could be a pinned topic at the top of this forum called "Caches that made the news..." or something... I wonder if TPTB would consider pinning such a topic?

Edited by FobesMan

This was a really cool cache. I bet the book was a Dean Koontz book we put in there. No one ever seemed to want it. What's odd is Hilliard (thought this was where Zombie was located...must be just over the border) is one of the most cache friendly cities in the area. Cops always are geo knowledgable. See below and note references to Columbus.

Destination Hilliard receives $10,000 grant

By Gary Budzak

For The Columbus Dispatch

Wednesday November 30, 2011 9:43 PM

Comments: 0

ShareThis

Destination Hilliard has been awarded a $10,000 grant for a geocaching event in 2012, it was recently announced.

In geocaching, participants use a global positioning system (GPS) to find containers or boxes (caches) at various locations. Hilliard’s geocaching event, to be held between May 12 and Dec. 31, will have participants seeking caches at 20 sites in a 200-minute period, culminating in a drawing for a gift valued at $200.

“When we wrote the grant, we wrote everything around 200,” said Destination Hilliard executive director Christy Clark. “Our topic is Explore the heart of Hilliard in 200 minutes.”

The grant allows the organization to buy some GPS receivers, which will be loaned to participants in exchange for a credit card, Clark said. Return the GPS, and the card will be returned.

“It’s almost a free activity for a family,” Clark said.

The 20 sites will be determined in January, but they will have to be close to each other in order for participants to accomplish the task in 200 minutes. Destination Hilliard is looking at sites that celebrate the city’s past, present, or future.

“We’re excited because it’s another way to collaborate with all of these organizations to promote Hilliard,” Clark said. “It’s a win for the whole community.”

It’s also a win for Columbus, which is celebrating its bicentennial in 2012.

“A number of organizations are working with the city of Columbus to promote their 200th birthday,” Clark said. “One of the initiatives is to work regionally with the suburbs so that we can all benefit and promote Columbus for people to visit.”

Destination Hilliard was in the first round of recipients in the Chase 200Columbus Neighborhood Grant Program sponsored by the Greater Columbus Arts Council and JPMorgan Chase Foundation. Fourteen projects totaling $90,000 were funded (including $10,000 for a Westerville Legacy Train Depot), with $110,000 to be distributed next year. Nonprofit organizations in Franklin County neighborhoods and contiguous counties are eligible for up to $10,000 in grants based on creativity, resident engagement, collaboration, and thematic consistency with the 200Columbus Celebration.

“These are projects that will enhance Columbus, and these well-deserved grants will help make them possible,” said Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman in a statement.

“These projects will celebrate neighborhoods large and small, to the north, south, east and west of our city’s core,” said Jeff Lyttle, region executive at Chase.

Comments

Login or register to post a comment.

This was a really cool cache. I bet the book was a Dean Koontz book we put in there. No one ever seemed to want it. What's odd is Hilliard (thought this was where Zombie was located...must be just over the border) is one of the most cache friendly cities in the area. Cops always are geo knowledgable. See below and note references to Columbus.

Destination Hilliard receives $10,000 grant

By Gary Budzak

For The Columbus Dispatch

Wednesday November 30, 2011 9:43 PM

Comments: 0

ShareThis

Destination Hilliard has been awarded a $10,000 grant for a geocaching event in 2012, it was recently announced.

In geocaching, participants use a global positioning system (GPS) to find containers or boxes (caches) at various locations. Hilliard’s geocaching event, to be held between May 12 and Dec. 31, will have participants seeking caches at 20 sites in a 200-minute period, culminating in a drawing for a gift valued at $200.

“When we wrote the grant, we wrote everything around 200,” said Destination Hilliard executive director Christy Clark. “Our topic is Explore the heart of Hilliard in 200 minutes.”

The grant allows the organization to buy some GPS receivers, which will be loaned to participants in exchange for a credit card, Clark said. Return the GPS, and the card will be returned.

“It’s almost a free activity for a family,” Clark said.

The 20 sites will be determined in January, but they will have to be close to each other in order for participants to accomplish the task in 200 minutes. Destination Hilliard is looking at sites that celebrate the city’s past, present, or future.

“We’re excited because it’s another way to collaborate with all of these organizations to promote Hilliard,” Clark said. “It’s a win for the whole community.”

It’s also a win for Columbus, which is celebrating its bicentennial in 2012.

“A number of organizations are working with the city of Columbus to promote their 200th birthday,” Clark said. “One of the initiatives is to work regionally with the suburbs so that we can all benefit and promote Columbus for people to visit.”

Destination Hilliard was in the first round of recipients in the Chase 200Columbus Neighborhood Grant Program sponsored by the Greater Columbus Arts Council and JPMorgan Chase Foundation. Fourteen projects totaling $90,000 were funded (including $10,000 for a Westerville Legacy Train Depot), with $110,000 to be distributed next year. Nonprofit organizations in Franklin County neighborhoods and contiguous counties are eligible for up to $10,000 in grants based on creativity, resident engagement, collaboration, and thematic consistency with the 200Columbus Celebration.

“These are projects that will enhance Columbus, and these well-deserved grants will help make them possible,” said Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman in a statement.

“These projects will celebrate neighborhoods large and small, to the north, south, east and west of our city’s core,” said Jeff Lyttle, region executive at Chase.

Comments

Login or register to post a comment.

Technically it was in Columbus - Everything south of Roberts is Columbus PD. Cool story you posted above - apparently these folks didn't have the same luck with the local Hilliard PD :)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2K09F

Most computers have a Delete button you can use if you don't like the conversation going on.

Delete button won't delete a thread, unfortunately. Oftentimes, I wish that it could.

no, won't delete the thread. But it would delete an email announcing the thread. (would only work if you get new threads from email like I do instead of going through the web site)

We need to stop looking at the negative of bomb squads blowing up caches. Its a good thing. Its give us an opertunity to "refresh" the cache from having crappy swag in it. Gives another cacher an opertunity to place a new cache. And best of all...... it builds employment in our downturn economy. Gives special police a job to do , thus keeping them employed, it gives the bomb squad "real life" scenarios to practice in case there is ever a REAL emergency.

I noticed the reviewer immediately archived the cache. Why does a cache get archived just because it was blown up? Shouldn't it be disabled to give the CO an opportunity to replace it if s/he wishes? I know it can be un-archived, but that requires the CO to get the reviewer involved again. Then again, maybe that's the point.

Edited by GeoBain

We need to stop looking at the negative of bomb squads blowing up caches. Its a good thing. Its give us an opertunity to "refresh" the cache from having crappy swag in it. Gives another cacher an opertunity to place a new cache. And best of all...... it builds employment in our downturn economy. Gives special police a job to do , thus keeping them employed, it gives the bomb squad "real life" scenarios to practice in case there is ever a REAL emergency.

Better still, it gives us a good reason to trade out quality swag and replace it with crappy stuff, since it might get blown up anyway. And we can use inexpensive Gladware food containers instead of ammo cans, since the cache may not be out long enough to get wet in the first place.