Garmin Montana FW 3.67 Beta

Catch

Ahh, I've figured it out. In night mode, the trails lose their red dashed coloration and look just like unpaved roads. In day mode they look like trails again. This is using Garmin's Topo US 24K product.

Confirmed this in v3.67

UPDATE: Garmin just confirmed a fix for this in the next release. :)

Edited by yogazoo

Ahh, I've figured it out. In night mode, the trails lose their red dashed coloration and look just like unpaved roads. In day mode they look like trails again. This is using Garmin's Topo US 24K product.

Confirmed this in v3.67

UPDATE: Garmin just confirmed a fix for this in the next release. :)

Sweet! You're on TOP of this yogazoo! Nice work!

Anyone else tired of having to yank the bettery before the unit will respond to the power button after having it connected to your computer? Seems like any time I load something new onto the unit and remove it from my computer I have to yank the battery.

I wonder if it has anything to do with "Save Always" barometer setting?

Seems like any time I load something new onto the unit and remove it from my computer I have to yank the battery.

Never experienced that. Is it with 3.67?

Yeah, I'm guessing it has something to do with having "Save Always" selected in my altimeter settings. Yanking the battery clears this setting and allows the unit to power up.

Yeah, I'm guessing it has something to do with having "Save Always" selected in my altimeter settings. Yanking the battery clears this setting and allows the unit to power up.

Doesn't do it here with that setting.

I have:

auto calibration on

mode variable elevation

trending save always

plot type elevation/time

It warns not to remove the battery when I enabled it. From the discussion you have with others about this topic, it seems to me that the pressure is recorded while the device is off, right? So yanking out the battery could corrupt your flash memory, if you remove it during a write action.

Edited by taeke

That's not what I mean.

Apologies for my writing, but I was still with you :)

I tried exactly that, with the Save Always setting, connect and disconnect to/from computer and hit the power-button a bunch of times. It always switched on instantly, and I had to do no trickery of removing the battery because the device would not boot.

I was quoting the warning when changed the setting to Save Always, and saying it is risky to remove the battery with this setting.

That's not what I mean.

Apologies for my writing, but I was still with you :)

I tried exactly that, with the Save Always setting, connect and disconnect to/from computer and hit the power-button a bunch of times. It always switched on instantly, and I had to do no trickery of removing the battery because the device would not boot.

I was quoting the warning when changed the setting to Save Always, and saying it is risky to remove the battery with this setting.

Did you try adding any data to the unit while plugged into your computer? That's what does it to mine.

Anyone else tired of having to yank the bettery before the unit will respond to the power button after having it connected to your computer? Seems like any time I load something new onto the unit and remove it from my computer I have to yank the battery.

I wonder if it has anything to do with "Save Always" barometer setting?

I have a similar problem that i have had for many firmware versions now. When using the auto cradle mount with speaker in the car if i turn the car off and dont manually turn off the Montana by selecting power off on the screen after shutting off the ignition the unit will not power back up again and will turn on but only gives a blank white screen. I have to then pull the battery to get it to start up. Very annoying and Garmin's dreadful customer service was no help either. If this isnt fixed soon mine is going back for a refund.

See my other post in the other thread but the issues me and others are describing seem to be related to the pressure trending setting of "Save Always" in the Altimeter setup.

Long story short, set it to "Save When Power On" and see if it helps with the issues.

Edited by yogazoo

I had this issue but thought it was due to not removing the devices correctly on a Mac. It could be related to the save always as I was conducting those baro tests recently in that other thread. Incidentally, if you leave set to save always. How long does your battery last. I came to switch on the Montana yesterday having not touched it for about 4 or 5 days and it was totally flat from about 80% when I left it.

In my experience, in the past, the save always function uses very little power. I've had my previous units, Oregon, Colorado, and 60c, set for well over two weeks with no huge drop in battery power.

All bets are off on the Montana though. I flip-flop between being super patient and understanding to being super annoyed with my Montana's software hiccups. Today I'm annoyed.

Edited by yogazoo

I've noticed that sometimes the battery meter reads incorrectly or has a hiccup? I'll give it a test as well and report back in a day or so.

The Save Always function wakes up certain parts of the unit enough to get a barometer reading every 15 minutes and then shuts back down. It's possible, given the host of issues, that it wakes up more than it's supposed to using more power in the process. Again, when working correctly, it doesn't use that much.

The Barometer code guy at Garmin has some work to do.

Edited by yogazoo

Looks like too many issues with "Beta" version and there are way too many of them out there. I think I will stick with Version 3.60 until all of this is resolved. Does anyone have any idea how long beta versions stay in effect until they become permanent fixtures?

*All* Garmin firmware is beta (unless it is Alpha).

Looks like too many issues with "Beta" version and there are way too many of them out there. I think I will stick with Version 3.60 until all of this is resolved. Does anyone have any idea how long beta versions stay in effect until they become permanent fixtures?

That's pretty much it, there. :blink:

That's pretty much it, there. :blink:

I sort of think the firmware on my 76CSx is production release. Or at least it is the final beta version.

Just a note I thought I'd add to this versions thread even though the issue has been with us since day one. In Pedestrian mode the route NEVER recalculates. Even if you circle around and approach the target from the opposite side. You can see in the images below, the route should have recalculated long already. I'm pretty sure that if I switched to Automotive mode the result would be the same (if I was still walking and not driving). The issue seems to be speed related, if I was travelling at car speed the route would recalculate but since I'm just walking the unit never recalculates.

What's up with this? Has anyone reported this to the Montana software team yet?

1324177403.jpg1324180148.jpg

Edited by yogazoo