Benchmarking

BMndFul

We enjoy both. Checking out benchmarks can help identify interesting history of an area and that's the main attraction for us. Sometimes, finding a benchmark can be very physical and require focused navigational skills - we've worked a lot harder for some of our benchmarks than many of our cache smileys! We do consider benchmarking secondary to geocaching and don't always seek them but to us it does seem very compatible with caching and adds another dimension to our exploration when in a new area.

I usually log benchmarks as I find them. I see LOTS of witness posts - the orange sticks denoting a benchmark. I also tend to check bridges for them when I have the chance.

There are a few that I looked for that were a bit of a challenge - scaled coords, never been logged on geocaching.com. But I don't go looking for many like that. Scaled coords can be waaaay off and too often benchmarks that haven't been found for awhile are buried or destroyed.