Are using spoilers "cheating" that should lower your score?

Alan2

hit send, then stop so I could fix something. both messages appear. It says "click here to edit OR DELETE" I click, then click on DLETE, and a message says "this forum does not support deleting messages."

HUH?!?!?!?!?!? Gee let's create buttons that we don't intend to support. Am I missing something?

Real message to follow below...

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Assuming it could be tracked, should scoring be modified with a weighted value based on whether you used spoilers and hints?

Key words here being "assuming it could be tracked" I'd say no, no, & no. And it can't be tracked except to see who clicks on decode. But I can just decode it in the field and no one would know. But if the geogods knew, it still needless to weight this stuff.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

I get a chuckle seeing how people who ''don't care'' about scoring or competition or for that matter anything that doesn't affect them if they are not interested, get all bent up into a pretzel anytime someone wants to discuss it. I'd tell you all to get lost but, darn it, you've got GPSR's. icon_biggrin.gif When Jeremy temporarily dropped the find totals, he said he had an uproar. I've wondered how many make up an uproar. Must be a lot more than post when the topic comes up. FWIW, I didn't respond and didn't really care enough that it would change my enjoyment of the hobby. But given a choice, yes, I like a little recognition for the hours that I spent in the woods and to differentiate that time between easy hunts and more difficult hunts. First finds have been a source of friendly competition with some of my friends. None of this changes how you spend your time geocaching, unless you really hate to see your find total or score or whatever diminish behind those more active and who desire the competition. If so, that strikes me as some politically correct BS like not having grades in school for fear of hurting little Johnny's self esteem. I come across a lot of local cachers out on the trails. Makes no difference how many they have logged. When I see them, I don't wonder if they have more or less than me. They are just another friend with the same hobby as I have. Live and let live and don't take any of this personally. None of it will likely come to be anyway. icon_wink.gif

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I get a chuckle seeing how people who ''don't care'' about scoring or competition or for that matter anything that doesn't affect them if they are not interested, get all bent up into a pretzel anytime someone wants to discuss it. I'd tell you all to get lost but, darn it, you've got GPSR's. icon_biggrin.gif When Jeremy temporarily dropped the find totals, he said he had an uproar. I've wondered how many make up an uproar. Must be a lot more than post when the topic comes up. FWIW, I didn't respond and didn't really care enough that it would change my enjoyment of the hobby. But given a choice, yes, I like a little recognition for the hours that I spent in the woods and to differentiate that time between easy hunts and more difficult hunts. First finds have been a source of friendly competition with some of my friends. None of this changes how you spend your time geocaching, unless you really hate to see your find total or score or whatever diminish behind those more active and who desire the competition. If so, that strikes me as some politically correct BS like not having grades in school for fear of hurting little Johnny's self esteem. I come across a lot of local cachers out on the trails. Makes no difference how many they have logged. When I see them, I don't wonder if they have more or less than me. They are just another friend with the same hobby as I have. Live and let live and don't take any of this personally. None of it will likely come to be anyway. icon_wink.gif

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

totally unneccesary IMHO. It's just a game, no one would ever admit to doing it if they were "scored" differently and wanted the most high honor and supreme glory of seeing another number racked up on their count. You know whether or not you find with or without help. What more do you need? I've already logged 5 finds and 3 no finds. What's the big deal? No one would take away my birthday if I "cheated" but I'd sure feel bad inside.

I am dumbfounded that this discussion even came up.

Perhaps we could keep count of the number of steps it was from the car to the cache. Or how many times you walked past it before you actually found it. Were you wearing shorts on a cold day or did you 'bundle up'? Were there two of you, or did you go by yourself? And was it cloudy and overcast, or a perfectly sunny day?

C'mon!

"Nobody cares what you REALLY do,

as long as the paperwork looks good"

Thanks, The Tommy. Couldn't have said it any better.I usually do my best to ignore topics like this. But it's getting to the point where they're popping up more & more. Don't use this image,put back the find numbers on the pages, don't include these types of caches, etc., etc., etc. I guess, like many others, I'm spending too much time here on the forums instead of out enjoying a few good cache hunts. icon_redface.gif

"Gimpy"

Thanks, The Tommy. Couldn't have said it any better.I usually do my best to ignore topics like this. But it's getting to the point where they're popping up more & more. Don't use this image,put back the find numbers on the pages, don't include these types of caches, etc., etc., etc. I guess, like many others, I'm spending too much time here on the forums instead of out enjoying a few good cache hunts. icon_redface.gif

"Gimpy"

Those of you that use more than 2 Satelites to find these caches...Man what are you cheaters or something? icon_mad.gif

I am a real Geacacher.

I only download the LAT or LON but never both, I wear a patch over one eye and tie my right leg to my left arm prior to exiting my car, I park no closer than 5 mile to the cache, and finally I only print out the cache description pages in Turkish then use a Turkish to English Dictionary to read the description.

NOW YOU WANT ME TO NOT DECRYPT THE HINT...I THINK THAT WOULD JUST MAKE THE CACHING EXPERIENCE, TOO DIFFICULT. icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

Those of you that use more than 2 Satelites to find these caches...Man what are you cheaters or something? icon_mad.gif

I am a real Geacacher.

I only download the LAT or LON but never both, I wear a patch over one eye and tie my right leg to my left arm prior to exiting my car, I park no closer than 5 mile to the cache, and finally I only print out the cache description pages in Turkish then use a Turkish to English Dictionary to read the description.

NOW YOU WANT ME TO NOT DECRYPT THE HINT...I THINK THAT WOULD JUST MAKE THE CACHING EXPERIENCE, TOO DIFFICULT. icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

I think the last post sums it up.

I never thought about scores. Just wanted to get out of the house. While I admire those that have many "finds", It never ocurred to me that there was a competition. I don't feel like those with alot of finds would shun me. I have yet to run into another geocacher on the trail. I would love to and I'm sure I will someday. And they will beat me up and take my newly found silly putty.

I try to remember that this came from people using maps and compasses. They're letting me enjoy their sport using a GPS.

Take care,

Dogdoins

[This message was edited by dogdoins on October 06, 2002 at 10:02 PM.]

If s/he doesn't want to "cheapen" the experience by leaving additional clues, s/he won't.

On one of my caches, I assumed that most of the finders had begun their search using the encrypted clue, because most reported it was an easy find. I removed the encrypted clue, and immediately the number of finds dropped off.

I don't know if this scared people off, if there have been unreported "couldn't finds," or if it has been just an amusing coincidence.

The scoring is nothing more than a count of how many "Found it" logs one has in the system.

Does it matter if someone used a cheater on, say, a 5/5 cache? It is "scored" the same as a 1/1 virtual cache that can be logged without leaving the car ... or a "fake-your-own-from-the-comfort-of-your-computer" (locationless or virtual) cache.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 07, 2002 at 08:35 AM.]

And now, wcgreen with the latest in GeoSports.

Thank you. In the latest regional action, it's

BassonPilot 658, StayFloopy 1004

Rubbertoe 13, umc 20

Dru Morgan 113, Lapaglia 5

and, in local action:

The Li'l Bears 33, Paddy Yenar 60.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

Originally posted by MedicP1:

I am a real Geacacher.

I only download the LAT or LON but never both.

We have a guy in this area that doesn'e even use a GPS, He might consider you as a cheater also. icon_biggrin.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

Originally posted by MedicP1:

I am a real Geacacher.

I only download the LAT or LON but never both.

We have a guy in this area that doesn'e even use a GPS, He might consider you as a cheater also. icon_biggrin.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

Personally, I always decrypt the hint. I can’t see anything wrong with that – if it wasn’t meant to be used, it wouldn’t be there.

My spoilers are largely dependent on three things:

-the difficulty of getting to the cache site

-the strength (or lack of) the GPS signal

-the need to disturb the site as little as possible.

Yes, it’s only a game but people are competitive and it’s only human nature not to want to lose points. If you lost points for decrypting the hints on the site, you’d just work them out with the chart instead.

The hider has the option of leaving no hints, but I think that if someone’s caches were consistently so difficult that many of the logs were showing non-finds, then people would get frustrated and start avoiding them. That seems to miss the point altogether in my opinion.

Real geocachers only use a compass and map.... icon_wink.gif

And who needs the cache description anyway? icon_biggrin.gif

I feel like I cheated if I looked at the coordinates.... icon_eek.gif

I score a 1 if I find the cache, a 0 if I don't. If I use the hint, do I only score a 0.9 of a cache find? Seems like I found it, one way or the other. You find it or you don't find it, whatever tools you used to get there, you got there.

Jim.

Jim, Team Scotti

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/geocache.html

Real geocachers only use a compass and map.... icon_wink.gif

And who needs the cache description anyway? icon_biggrin.gif

I feel like I cheated if I looked at the coordinates.... icon_eek.gif

I score a 1 if I find the cache, a 0 if I don't. If I use the hint, do I only score a 0.9 of a cache find? Seems like I found it, one way or the other. You find it or you don't find it, whatever tools you used to get there, you got there.

Jim.

Jim, Team Scotti

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/geocache.html

quote:
Originally posted by Team Scotti:

Jim.

I agree, sounds good. I mean, when you really get down to it, why make this so difficult and complex. It's supposed to be fun. I think the extent of it should be what we have now. Just logging how many finds. Each one is an adventure, and I like to see how many successfuly adventures I've gone on. Yes, some are easy, and some are hard, but if you do a lot of Geocaching and have a good amount of finds under your belt, the law of averages will work itself out and you'll have an even balance of difficult finds and easy ones in your list.

Christopher J. Miller

Warren, MI

Seems to me that scoring has value in one of two possible ways:

• To impress the cacher himself
  • To impress other cachers

The cacher himself already knows how good or crappy he is, so there is no need for scoring there. It must be that some people want it in order to impress OTHERS. So again, there is really no need for scoring. If you need to impress others just go to your profile and enter the following: I'm the best dadgum geocacher in the world. I ONLY search for caches on mountain tops, in Antarctica, or at the bottom of the ocean.

I promise we'll all be impressed.

V7L

[This message was edited by V7L on October 11, 2002 at 02:20 PM.]