A grand challenge of challenges

txoilgas

After looking at county challenges and Delorme challenge I thought it might be time for a challenge of challenges. In my opinion the county challenges are usually a bit more difficut so I have put together a new challenge. All American 10 State Cache Challenge GC2GDX0

This one is to find caches in all of the counties or parish in 10 states. But there are a few stipulations so check out the cache page. Hope to see some of you complete this one.

that is a doozy, definitely for those folks who are in the larger states and travel a lot. Cant imagine too many finds on that one over time.

However, you'll also need to travel to New England, Arizona or Hawaii for the "15 or fewer counties" portion.

I wonder if the cache owner has done enough states/counties to claim it.

My feeling has always been that it is inappropriate to issue a challenge cache unless that cache owner has personally completed the requirements of the challenge.

The real meaning of a challenge is where no one has done it yet. No one disagrees that the challenge can not be done it is that no one yet has done it. Example the challenge to go to the moon, or climb Mt. Everest, or even being the FTF on a cache, was because no one had done it yet.

The answer to another question is No I do not have anywhere close to the number to finish this challenge. I do have one over 100 counties, the Texas County Challenge.

Edited by txoilgas

My feeling has always been that it is inappropriate to issue a challenge cache unless that cache owner has personally completed the requirements of the challenge.

4.14. Challenge Caches:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

Challenge cache owners must demonstrate that the challenge is attainable. Reviewers may ask the cache owner to demonstrate that they have previously met the challenge and/or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so.

3. A challenge cache concept that severely limits the number of cachers who can achieve the challenge will likely not be published.
Edited by Pup Patrol

4.14. Challenge Caches:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

Challenge cache owners must demonstrate that the challenge is attainable. Reviewers may ask the cache owner to demonstrate that they have previously met the challenge and/or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so.

3. A challenge cache concept that severely limits the number of cachers who can achieve the challenge will likely not be published.

The challenge as mentioned by the OP is crazy... (read below, I am not judging the challenge)

This brings up a very important point which may deserve it's own thread. I know what the guidelines say in terms of the challenge must be attainable. There's a cacher in our area that was attempting to setup a Webcam Challenge. The goal? Find and log 20 webcam finds. Our local reviewer determined it was not attainable by the average cacher in spite of all the other ridiculous challenges out there. The reviewer said it is not attainable and if it were the burden of proof is on the listing cacher. While I understand the predicment of the reviewer, I agree with the cacher in question that the challenge isn't any more or less attainable than some of the other nearly impossible challenges. And in full disclosure, there's only one remaining webcam cache in MN. But in a 500 mile radius from the listed coords, there are more than enough webcam caches to meet the requirement.

Thoughts?

I will have this challenge done by early next year. I know of at least two other cachers that more than likely can log a find on it right now.

By Christmas I will be within eleven counties of being done. If it weren't for weather conditions in Montana it would be done by my birthday in February. Heck with global warming it may still be doable.

I will have this challenge done by early next year. I know of at least two other cachers that more than likely can log a find on it right now.

By Christmas I will be within eleven counties of being done. If it weren't for weather conditions in Montana it would be done by my birthday in February. Heck with global warming it may still be doable.

It now looks like there are about 10 people that have "finished" the requirements to come get the cache. Most are verifing specific requirements.

Looks like I should have made it 20 states instead of the 10.

So much for lack of participants :) :) :)

Well since the requirements changed I will have to rescind my statement that I will be done with this early next year.

The change to three states that have between 50 and 100 caches has eliminated one of my states. Because Kansas has 115 counties it doesn't qualify for the 50-100 slot and I don't need it for my all others slot.

Well since the requirements changed I will have to rescind my statement that I will be done with this early next year.

The change to three states that have between 50 and 100 caches has eliminated one of my states. Because Kansas has 115 counties it doesn't qualify for the 50-100 slot and I don't need it for my all others slot.

Not sure if it was changed from when I first looked at the listing, or I just missed it, but the second part of this rule

"3. One (1) of the states MUST have 15 or less counties but no more than two of the total may be in this group."

is very anti-New England.

Not sure if it was changed from when I first looked at the listing, or I just missed it, but the second part of this rule

"3. One (1) of the states MUST have 15 or less counties but no more than two of the total may be in this group."

is very anti-New England.

Yet another change. I am withdrawing my participation in this cache. I won't aim for a moving target.

I will take pride in the fact I have found caches in 44% of the counties of the United States. Don't need a cache to do it.

Of course that is an opinion. Since this is his challenge it can stay anyway he likes. We choose to do the caches we want too. Since I can not even complete a 67 county state his might not be a cache for me.

Here is what I would like answered how much money toward gas would it cost to do this challenge if it was the first thing you did as a cacher and had zero caches to start with.

Personally, I think you should be able to prove you can do the challenge yourself before issuing it to others. I own one challenge and I could prove that it could be done before I submitted it for review. The OP should be held to the same standard.

What is there to prove it can be done in this one? It is mearly the amount and time someone wants to put into it to have it accomplished. Everything in the challenge can be done by most any of the cachers caching today. There is no canoeing down the rapids, skydiving, road racing, or anything like that. It is just finding a bunch of caches in different states. A very simple task that does take people out of their local communities.

To answer another previous question. To do the Texas County Challenge of 254 counties it took about 20,000 miles spread over about 5 months. There are presently 35 people that have completed the challenge and about 10 to 15 that are actively but slowly going after the challenge.

It now looks like there are about 10 people that have "finished" the requirements to come get the cache. Most are verifing specific requirements.

When did geocaching become a contest of "see who can create the most difficult challenge, hardest find, longest power trail, etc."? This one across as challenge that is based on excluding as many geocachers as possible rather than creating challenge that others can enjoy.

When did geocaching become a contest of "see who can create the most difficult challenge, hardest find, longest power trail, etc."? This one across as challenge that is based on excluding as many geocachers as possible rather than creating challenge that others can enjoy.

It has been that way since almost the beginning. Thats why there are multis, puzzles, events, earthcaches, etc, etc. It is a game that is meant to be for everyone yet everyone does not have to do everything. They can do only the part they like. I don't care for puzzles but there are those that go crazy for puzzles. To each his own.

Meh. I'll just put out a challenge that to complete this challenge, you must have qualified for and logged all active challenge caches in the USA.

We'll call it the Uber Cacher Challenge.

Since we don't need to qualify for our own challenges any more....

Let's extend that to all of North America, EH?

Isn't this the same road Virtuals and Reverse-Locationless caches went down?

I agree (and assert) that the Challenge Cache Owner should must have completed the requirements of their challenge cache before it is allowed to be published...NO EXCEPTIONS.

I could easily come up with about a hundred whacky challenge ideas that 'could be accomplished'.

Maybe.

Possibly.

It should be about, 'Hey, I did this...can you do it too?'.

Not 'I have this crazy idea...why don't you try to complete it'.

It has been that way since almost the beginning. Thats why there are multis, puzzles, events, earthcaches, etc, etc. It is a game that is meant to be for everyone yet everyone does not have to do everything. They can do only the part they like. I don't care for puzzles but there are those that go crazy for puzzles. To each his own.

You missed the point. Yes, there are a variety of cache types and a variety of ways of hiding caches, providing enough flexibility for pretty much every one that wants to focus on the type of geocaching one wants to do. That's quite different from seeing things as a contest to create a multi with the most stages, the most difficult puzzle, or a challenge cache that can be completed by the fewest cachers possible.

The difference is that a wide variety of cache types caters to as many geocachers as possible whereas viewing cache creation as a contest comes across as primarily as a means to pat ones self on the back for creating the biggest, longest, hardest, whatever.

It should be about, 'Hey, I did this...can you do it too?'.

Not 'I have this crazy idea...why don't you try to complete it'.

+1

That to me is the essence of a challenge cache -- sharing the experience you had with others. My gf and I found a cache every day for a year (the result of a not-fully-thought-out bet between us), and we made a challenge cache to share that experience with the community. If we would have created that challenge cache without having actually gone through it, it would have been super lame - even though it technically would have met the requirements.

After looking at county challenges and Delorme challenge I thought it might be time for a challenge of challenges. In my opinion the county challenges are usually a bit more difficut so I have put together a new challenge. All American 10 State Cache Challenge GC2GDX0

This one is to find caches in all of the counties or parish in 10 states. But there are a few stipulations so check out the cache page. Hope to see some of you complete this one.

I hope you didn't do this for my benefit. That looks like a bunch of work. I already have one job, that's enough for me.

Personally, I think you should be able to prove you can do the challenge yourself before issuing it to others. I own one challenge and I could prove that it could be done before I submitted it for review. The OP should be held to the same standard.

What is there to prove it can be done in this one? It is mearly the amount and time someone wants to put into it to have it accomplished. Everything in the challenge can be done by most any of the cachers caching today. There is no canoeing down the rapids, skydiving, road racing, or anything like that. It is just finding a bunch of caches in different states. A very simple task that does take people out of their local communities.

It's nothing to prove so much as it's real cheesy to ask cachers to do something you're unable or unwilling to do.

Everything in the challenge can be done by most any of the cachers caching today. There is no canoeing down the rapids, skydiving, road racing, or anything like that. It is just finding a bunch of caches in different states. A very simple task that does take people out of their local communities.

And yet it is rated a Terrain 5...

LOL, the cache got archived after Prime Reviewer got after him from changing things around. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

PWNED!

Whats for dinner?

PWNED? What is this, 1998, and we're on usenet? :P

I think the exact wording of the archive log is "will rework and resubmit". I assume Prime would unarchive, if it's returned to the way it is.

Everything in the challenge can be done by most any of the cachers caching today. There is no canoeing down the rapids, skydiving, road racing, or anything like that. It is just finding a bunch of caches in different states. A very simple task that does take people out of their local communities.

And yet it is rated a Terrain 5...

Good catch.

LOL, the cache got archived after Prime Reviewer got after him from changing things around. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

PWNED!

Whats for dinner?

I think the exact wording of the archive log is "will rework and resubmit". I assume Prime would unarchive, if it's returned to the way it is.

WOOT!!!

PWNED!

Whats for dinner?

WOOT!!!

Word.

PWNED!

Whats for dinner?

Except you can't edit an archived cache, so you have a chicken vs egg thing there. Cache can't be edited until it is unarchived, cache won't be unarchived until it is edited back to original state.

Now a brand new submission on the other hand is pretty easy to do....

PWNED!

Whats for dinner?

WOOT!!!

Word.

Before you know it, someone will get slapped with a trout.

PWNED!

Whats for dinner?

WOOT!!!

Word.

Before you know it, someone will get slapped with a trout.

*slap!*

*drops trout and runs*

Except you can't edit an archived cache, so you have a chicken vs egg thing there. Cache can't be edited until it is unarchived, cache won't be unarchived until it is edited back to original state.

Now a brand new submission on the other hand is pretty easy to do....

Yep, and then the reviewer will probably offer just to unarchive the old one so it can be edited, rather than publish the new one :ph34r::anibad:

Too many stipulations.

IGNORE.

Yup. That pretty much sums it up for me. A caching buddy and I were discussing caching, and the conversation turned to how hard would it be to create a cache that could not be found by anyone. I didn't see that as particularly difficult. I know a guy near where I work that writes caligraphy on rice grains as a hobby. If I could get him to change his medium to grains of sand, I could make a 10 stage multi along a stretch of beach, dropping a grain every mile or so.

A needle in a haystack hide is not "clever". It's monotonous. That's how I feel about that particular challenge. Seeing how many stipulations you can create, just to exclude as many cachers as possible, is likewise not "clever". But I suppose that, out of over a million registered cachers, having ten that qualify might seem like a plus, if you're into that kind of thing... Maybe. <_<:unsure::huh::rolleyes:

Too many stipulations.

IGNORE.

Yup. That pretty much sums it up for me. A caching buddy and I were discussing caching, and the conversation turned to how hard would it be to create a cache that could not be found by anyone. I didn't see that as particularly difficult. I know a guy near where I work that writes caligraphy on rice grains as a hobby. If I could get him to change his medium to grains of sand, I could make a 10 stage multi along a stretch of beach, dropping a grain every mile or so.

A needle in a haystack hide is not "clever". It's monotonous. That's how I feel about that particular challenge. Seeing how many stipulations you can create, just to exclude as many cachers as possible, is likewise not "clever". But I suppose that, out of over a million registered cachers, having ten that qualify might seem like a plus, if you're into that kind of thing... Maybe. <_<:unsure::huh::rolleyes:

Yup, what he said! ^