Upgrade opinions

RosenhanClan

There is a "GPS & Technology" section for such questions; I'm sure a mod will be along shortly to move the topic.

I have a Garmin Etrex 30; it's a slightly fancier version of the Etrex 20 (I only got the 30 due to a good Black Friday sale otherwise I would've gotten the 20). Has very good reviews and I've been very pleased with it so far. Has paperless caching - full cache info on the device, unlike the 60CSx. MSRP is $200.

I'll come out of right field and tell you that of units I've seen, handled, cached with (most everything out there), I like the Garmin Oregon best.

I have the DeLorme PN-40, and wouldn't recommend it. Their software is not very intuitive, and the unit is total battery hog. I don't know if DeLorme has improved that in the 60 series, but I do know that their units come with a steep learning curve.

As you've had a Garmin, I suggest staying with Garmin. You'll quickly adjust to the menus and the geocaching software.

I cache with a 60CSx that I've used so much that the lettering has worn off of most of the buttons, but I do NOT consider moving to a newer GPS to be an upgrade. I dearly love my 60, and when it dies, it will be a sad day. I had a Colorado for about a month when they first came out. I hated it. I brought it back to REI and traded it for the 60 and haven't looked back.

I cache with a 60CSx that I've used so much that the lettering has worn off of most of the buttons, but I do NOT consider moving to a newer GPS to be an upgrade. I dearly love my 60, and when it dies, it will be a sad day. I had a Colorado for about a month when they first came out. I hated it. I brought it back to REI and traded it for the 60 and haven't looked back.

If you love the 60CSx then you should definitely try the 62S...it adds the paperless caching experience to your familiar friend. The DeLorme will get you more bang for your buck, but in my experience, the Garmin user interface is easier to use.

I really dislike the Colorado but like the Oregon, but I'm hoping to upgrade from my Oregon 300 to a Montana 600 soon. It's worth a trip to REI (or other retailer that has working displays) to try them out in person and see what you like.

Started with a eTrex Yellow. Upgraded to a etrex Legend blue for the (weak) maps. Upgraded to a Oregon 200 for paperless and touchscreens, as well as the NW Trails map overlay capability. Just got a Oregon 450 for the compass, increased number of caches it can hold, but mainly so the Mrs. can have the 200 and we can hike together with everything downloaded to both.

I've been very happy with the Oregon 200 other than its 10-12 hour battery life. Zero issues in 2 years of using it.

My 60CSx died a couple of months ago after 3 and a half years of hard use. When I went backto REI to get it replaced (thier return policy is incredible) they didn't carry the 60 anymore. Disappointed, I settled for an Oregon. It's different, I wouldn't call it better, and there are things about it that I don't like and miss from my 60CSx. The nicest thing about the Oregon is that it holds more geocaches. I don't have to worry when I travel about putting too many in as I have yet to come anywhere near the 5000 cache maximum.

The Colorado is a rock solid unit and most who have used it any amount of time loved them. Having said that, it is a discontinued unit. My grandfather taught me (when buying carving tools) to "cry once". Bite the bullet if you can and spend more you will be better in the long run. Going form a 60 series, or even a Colorado, the upgrade would be to the 62 series, which also happens to be Garmins top of the line right now. If you don't mind being saddled with a touchscreen, the Oregon's seem to be a solid choice and can be had new for around $225 to 250 if you do some shopping.

I would probably save the money and steer clear of the Montana. I got one and use the CO more as the MO is not much more than a Nuvi with some Geocaching stuff added in. I keep meaning to get back to REI to get a 62st.

If you love the 60CSx then you should definitely try the 62S...it adds the paperless caching experience to your familiar friend. The DeLorme will get you more bang for your buck, but in my experience, the Garmin user interface is easier to use.

I really dislike the Colorado but like the Oregon, but I'm hoping to upgrade from my Oregon 300 to a Montana 600 soon. It's worth a trip to REI (or other retailer that has working displays) to try them out in person and see what you like.

No thainks. I already have paperless caching on my $150 Nuvi. And I can actually delete waypoints on my 60. The 62 wouldn't offer me anything I need. But if I had to get a new one, that is probably what I'd spring for.

I would probably save the money and steer clear of the Montana. I got one and use the CO more as the MO is not much more than a Nuvi with some Geocaching stuff added in. I keep meaning to get back to REI to get a 62st.

I have to say I disagree with this assessment.

I used a 60CSx from the middle of 2006 until a couple of months back. I was all set to get a 62s but then the Montana was announced. I looked at the 62, looked at the Montana, and went for the Montana.

There are things I liked about the 60, specifically the ability to move from one page to the next/previous with a single button press. On the Montana I need to exit one screen and enter the other which takes two presses (technically three as the first turns on the backlight). Not a big deal on the face of it but when I'm cycling it's nice to just hit one button to switch between screens.

That said I love the huge touchscreen on the Montana, I love the fact I can have four data fields above the map and still see enough map to be useable, I love the way it handles paperless (I know the 62 does that too), and being able to enter field notes with a touch screen keyboard is soooooo much easier than a keyboard on screen and the 60-style rocker button.

I had the Colorado once. Poor design in the O-ring/battery compartment and USB connection point. Not to mention the platform has come a long way since. If you need a budget GPS then perhaps the Colorado but I have a Montana and LOVE it. Much better than the Colorado, and even the Oregon in my opinion.