Weak Satellite Signal

RickyBobby&LilBill

We are new to geocaching and have an older style Garmin Etrex GPS that hasn't been able to "track satellites" the past few times we have attempted to locate a cache, so were were unable to complete our hunt. Pretty disappointing! My question is, has this happened to anyone else and should we invest in a newer model GPS? If so what kind would you recommend?

What kind of area were you in? In canyons (including the steel and concrete kind) or in heavily wooded areas a GPSr will tend to lose the signal. That is what the warning message is really saying. You don't have enough of a signal to process a location. It happens to all units, but the newer ones have better technology and can get by with a weaker signal and still get you a good location. Some will even return coords inside a building. That won't happen with the older units unless you are very close to a window.

The problem in the canyon is multi-pathing of the signal. If you don't understand what that is, don't worry about it. In wooded areas, the leaves will block the signal.

A couple of things....

Put in a fresh set of batteries.

Activate it with a clear view of the sky -- set it down and leave it for 15/30 minutes.

Once it is locked onto some satellites, keep it out of your pocket and don't turn it off/turn it on from cache to cache, leave it on.

I do not believe this model comes with a "better" antenna, as does any of the "H" models. As such, it may well take a bit longer to obtain satlock. Then too, losing the signal from blockage (buildings, in the woods -- especially leaved trees) will still be a problem (at least in comparison to newer models).

An older GPSr will still get you to GZ, just as newer ones do -- you just have to stroke them, pet them and generally be nice and treat them well. My (older yet) GPS12 still works well, but I keep it only as a back-up should my PN-40 puke. There is a night and day difference between the two, but if when the Delorme dies, I will get another using the GPS12 until I cough up the cash.

Upgrade is always an option. Other eTrex models (with the H or HC designation) are available yet at very reasonable prices. Better yet, jump to a top-shelf unit and save yourself another interim upgrade. Just a thought. A usual, money is the real issue -- it's like that for most of us.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the helpful responses! We were not in a canyon, but in a heavily wooded area....and we did make the rookie move of not turning on the GPS until right before we reached the beginning of our trail head leading to the cache. It didn't even occur to me to try to lock a signal 15 to 30 minutes prior to our search in clear sky. Duh! That makes a lot of sense! And then I kept turning the thing off and on....double duh!

It seems like it may be worth looking into a newer unit, as most of the geocaching that we plan on doing at this point with small kids will be local to us which involves the woods and lots of trees...so frustrating and disappointing for all when you are so close to the cache, only to lose the signal. In the meantime, I will try and be nicer and more patient towards our older model and give it more time to warm up before setting out...

Thanks again!

One key with the old eTrex units is to keep it flat, face up to the sky. If you clip it to your belt, put it in your pocket or even hold it in your hand with your arms at your side you will probably lose the signal under trees. Hold it kind of like a waiter carrying a tray.

Do that and you may still lose your signal but you will lose it far less frequently and you should get it back quickly. Also make sure you have a good lock before entering the woods.

Welcome to the year 2002! Most of us old time geocachers had to deal with dropped signals in the woods until the units with the high sensitivity receivers came out.

Edited by briansnat