White bulbs vs. Yellow bulbs ... what's flipping the switch

Hawk-eye

Just a observation ... on the new forums ... it apppears that the bulb (to the left) is Yellow if the forum as been accessed ... not necessarily logged since your last visit. Is this actually how it's set up. Same deal on the folders within the forum ... they seem to go yellow just because they were viewed (judging by the counts) not when they have been added to.

IMHO ... if this is the case and not my mistaken observation ... wouldn't it be more beneficial to only go yellow when there is actually a new log added?

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Just a observation ... on the new forums ... it apppears that the bulb (to the left) is Yellow if the forum as been accessed ... not necessarily logged since your last visit.

Its should be posts since last visit. A visit is based it on your login/logout time, so if you never log out, then the bulbs never reset. If you log out, then log back in again, they should all be off and only turn back on when a new post is made.

-Elias

quote:

just another question ... while in the forums ... do they refresh at a certain rate ... or is it real time that other posts show up?

Well.... The long answer is: I'm not sure exactly, but I do know that the forums have some pretty fancy caching algorithms to minimize the impact on the server.

The short "Elias isn't sure" answer is: Its relatively real-time. icon_biggrin.gif

-Elias

quote:

just another question ... while in the forums ... do they refresh at a certain rate ... or is it real time that other posts show up?

Well.... The long answer is: I'm not sure exactly, but I do know that the forums have some pretty fancy caching algorithms to minimize the impact on the server.

The short "Elias isn't sure" answer is: Its relatively real-time. icon_biggrin.gif

-Elias

quote:

If I log into the Geocaching site ...not the forums ... does that count as my last logged in visit ... as far as the cookies on the forums?

No, with the current forum integration, the forums don't know when you log into the geocaching.com site. When you click login on the forums, the forums query the geocaching.com site to see if your're logged in. Only at that point the forums are aware of your login status.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by TTracker:

Here's a strange one. I logged into Geocaching.com and then jumped over to the forums and logged in here. But then when I used the hyperlink on Jeremy's _Should this cache be posted_ poll I had to log in again. Waaasup?

When you log into geocaching.com, you're not automatically logged in here. When you come to the forums, you need to click the login link in the upper left hand corner of the main page. When you're logged in here, it will show "Hello TTracker [logout]". This is your only indication that you've been logged into the forums.

The forums are readable by anyone (with a couple of exceptions), so you can navigate through much of the forums without being logged in. If you try to go to a forum that requires login (like the Geocaching.com Discussion forum), the forums will redirect you back to the main page and attempt to log you in. I think this is what you are experiencing.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Is there a login URL like the following for the forums side?

No, unfortunately this isn't possible with the integration of the geocaching.com web site.

However, if when you log into geocaching.com you click the "Remember me" checkbox and let the site put a cookie on your computer, then not only will you not have to log into the site each time you visit, but you won't have to log into geocaching.com first before logging into the forums. You'd be able to just click the login link at the top of the forums page to be instantly logged in.

-Elias