Freaking log in again!?!?

Criminal

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Still doing it......

Hello? A little customer service please.....

I was going to respond to this message with some less than flattering words about TPTB, but decided not to. "Complainers" don't seem to get anything accomplished around here; only the brown-nosing forum posters who don't pay for their membership seem to be listened to. Therefore, I'm cancelling my membership and buying a box of latex nose-gloves. Maybe then they'll fix the login problem...

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
I’ve had a cache in the queue for two weeks, no emails to tell me there’s a problem, nothing.

Criminal, I just did a search of the approval queue using keyword "criminal" and found nothing. Is it under another name? Or did you disable it, in which case it won't appear to the approver?

I can't address the loggin problem. I'm experiencing it occasionally too. Then again, at work I'm constantly having to log in and enter passwords so I'm fairly used to the hassle factor thanks to the company I work for.

erik - geocaching.com admin

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

I can't address the loggin problem. I'm experiencing it occasionally too. Then again, at work I'm constantly having to log in and enter passwords so I'm fairly used to the hassle factor thanks to the company I work for.

Thanks for responding, erik. I'm glad to see that there actually is someone at a level above us mere minions that is also seeing a problem.

I don't mind logging in for security reasons. When a policy is created, it only makes sense to enforce that policy as much as possible through the use of technology. That's not what's going on here, though. See this post for a more detailed explanation of the problems I'm experiencing.

Thanks again for responding.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

Criminal wrote:

quote:
Yes, it was to be disabled from the beginning.

Criminal, unless you enable it the cache approvers can't see it on the approval queue and you'll be waiting forever.

Click the "enable" link under the cache name and it should pop up near the top of the approval queue for your regional cache approver to view.

I'm sure Jeremy is aware of the log in problems. There have also been some strange error messages received by the cache approvers that are also being worked on. The hardest problems to solve are always the intermittant ones, so please bear with Jeremy and keep supplying information on what and when you experience. Thanks!

erik - geocaching.com admin

Strange message today while trying to log in:

Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_UserTokens'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'UserTokens'. The statement has been terminated.

I'm not sure if this was caused my mistyping my password, but it did let me in the second time I tried.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Strange message today while trying to log in:

Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_UserTokens'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'UserTokens'. The statement has been terminated.

I'm not sure if this was caused my mistyping my password, but it did let me in the second time I tried.

I had several of those yesterday and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with typing your password wrong. Just another flaw in the login procedure icon_frown.gif

quote:
Recently (since the new server upgrade) some folks have had user login issues. I did some major changes today which should resolve the majority of these issues.

In addition, for a short time if you had two computers (or even two browsers) using the same account, you couldn't have the site "remember me" if you logged from one machine to another. We have changed this so multiple browsers or locations can log into the same account and remember you. However, after 30 days the cookies will expire, and if you click "Log out" in your browser it will make all the cookies inactive.

Jeremy Irish

I still have to log in every time I open my browser.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I have to log in every time I come here, even though I click on the box to keep me logged in, and I haven't come to this site from any other computer since before I logged my last cache, so that was about six weeks ago.

I've logged in, but I cannot go to "my cache page". All the other places are fine, but the link to "my cache page" just dumps me back at the page

http://www.geocaching.com/login/default.aspx?S=5
that says "You are logged in as LazyLeopard".

Netscape 4.79 on W2K if that's any help. (And no, I can't use another browser on this system, but I'll see whether Mozilla/linux work any better when I get home.)

An update: Seems to be something to do with expiry times. Maybe response to "if modified since" type server requests. I hit re-load half an hour later, and, for some reason, it now lets me in. ;

[This message was edited by Lazy Leopard on July 25, 2003 at 10:05 AM.]

I'm having login issues also. (Maybe worse than before the 7/24 change?)

I logged in on this computer today. I checked the two boxes. When I returned several hours later to "my cache page", it said I was logged in. But when I went here, it said I wasn't logged in.

Do I need to toss my cookies? Or is this still a known issue?

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

I logged in on this computer today. I checked the two boxes. When I returned several hours later to "my cache page", it said I was logged in. But when I went here, it said I wasn't logged in.

The forums don't maintain persistent cookies like the Geocaching.com site. The forum checkbox on the login page only applies to that forum session. Once the forum session expires, you have to log into the forums again. But if you have a permanent cookie set by Geocaching.com (using the "Remember Me" checkbox), you should just be able to click the login link in the forums once (maybe twice icon_rolleyes.gif) and be logged in.

frog.gif Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:But if you have a permanent cookie set by Geocaching.com (using the "Remember Me" checkbox), you should just be able to click the login link in the forums once (maybe twice icon_rolleyes.gif) and be logged in.

frog.gif Elias

That has worked sometimes. Other times it doesn't. I like this site so much I'm willing to log in, over and over, but I hope Jeremy will let us know if he thinks it's fixed.

(Is it too much to expect to log in once?)

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

It seems that even when you are logged in, you need to log in once more if you want to post in the forums.

I am logged into the site, that's not the problem... It's the board that I can't stay logged into.

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

I like this site so much I'm willing to log in, over and over, but I hope Jeremy will let us know if he thinks it's fixed.

We made changes to the login code as recently as yesterday. To the best of our knowledge, the login issues on the site have been fixed.

frog.gif Elias

quote:
Originally posted by fly46:

I am logged into the site, that's not the problem... It's the board that I can't stay logged into.

This is by design. The forums will log you out after some period of inactivity (somewhere on the order of 20-40 minutes). After that, you'll have to log in again. But the login process should just be clicking on the login link once. You shouldn't have to re-enter your login credentials.

frog.gif Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

We made changes to the login code as recently as yesterday. To the best of our knowledge, the login issues on the site have been fixed.

frog.gif Elias

Maybe you should post somewhere how everything should work (when you should expect to login in, what you should expect if you are logged in to the site and are asked to log into forums). That way we would know if something unexpected was happening.

Today I was logged into computer A. I came home to use computer B. When I accessed the site, I was asked to log in again. But I was logged into computer B last night. Is this expected?

I'm staying logged in to the site, but not the forums. When I click on the geocaching.com discussion forum, I'm brought directly to the login page, which tells me I am not currently logged in... but I *was* logged in to the main site, before I attempted to access the forums. Once I've been through this loop, I seem to no longer be logged in when I get home, either.

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

This is by design. The forums will log you out after some period of inactivity (somewhere on the order of 20-40 minutes). After that, you'll have to log in again. But the login process should just be clicking on the login link once. You shouldn't have to re-enter your login credentials.

frog.gif Elias

Yup. I do have to re-enter my credentials. It sort of defeats the whole cookie log-in thing because when I have to log in again to get to the forums, it invalidates my other cookie on my browser at home.

Used this computer last night. No other computers in the meantime. This morning when I went to the site I had to log in again.

Expected behavior?

(I did try to access the forum from an e-mail message of a thread I was watching. I was told I needed to log in. I canceled. Did that log me out of the site?)

Well, at least you CAN log in. Apparently, I can login from work, but my other machine never lets me login to the forums, though it does let me view this topic (which normally one has to be logged into); I just can't post ever (always get "Message Body is a required field" error).

If I'm on the forums or on the cache pages or e-mailing someone and I need to open another window to look at something else in geocaching, it makes me re-log in even though I'm already logged in, then it kicks me out of my original geocaching page.

It makes it harder to use the website, and frustrating since I only use the one computer for the sport.

Any ideas about why it is doing this?

I am having more problems logging in since some change within the last few weeks.

Also, is there ever going to be anyway for two computers to be logged in at the same time under the same username (it used to be this way)? My girlfriend and I often like to log our cache finds for the day on two different computers and its a real pain to keep alternating logins. This is not the way it used to be a few month ago before the major site changes.

I can't understand the reason for all the login security but it's really frustrating, apparently for a large number of users. It's not like were transferring money here. We just want to access the site and not have to keep logging in!

Jeremy, please relax the login restrictions a little bit!

Scott Robuck

Team GeoDillo

Charter Member

quote:
Originally posted by yorelken:

The problem is getting worse, not better. I use the same computer all the time, and now I keep having to re-log over and over in the middle of a session.

Same here, just started 2 days ago.

icon_mad.gifFormer EarthNOlink user!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

icon_biggrin.gifTake a chance or you'll never know. Let your spirits soar! icon_wink.gif

Yeah, we're still having login problems, too. Usually it occurs when using two separate computers, but also, sometimes when changing pages. I.e. we'll do a "nearest cache" search after being logged in, find a cache, view the cache page, click to "Log the Visit", and suddenly be logged out. It seems quite sporadic and unpredictable, and certainly nothing is close to being "fixed" yet.

"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

quote:
Originally posted by yorelken:

I just looked at my digest on this thread and had to log in to do so. Now THAT'S irony.

Same here

icon_biggrin.gifTake a chance or you'll never know. Let your spirits soar! icon_wink.gif

Still doing it. But now it is also logging me out and not letting me log back in. To do so, I had to shut down the website and pull it back up again. It keeps getting worse. I figure that by the end of the week, I won't be able to log my finds. Since I am so close to 200 finds, that will upset me!

[This message was edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking on August 05, 2003 at 01:51 AM.]

I'm starting to have the problem, and it's pretty severe now. I can't be logged in to multiple computers (at various times), and just now I logged in again, only to have to login to the forums AGAIN <2 minutes later. I'm practically having to login each time I check the site. Last night, while logging finds, I had to login 2x in the middle of logging 23 caches.

Brian

Team A.I.

I'm having to log in frequently also. I use 2 computers and just now I had to log in again.

Sometimes, I'll be logged in to geocaching.com, go to the forums, click on a particular forum and the IE 6.0 world will spin forever. I actually have to go to gc.com, click logout, log in again to both gc and forums. Then it usually works.

I simply don't understand the need to have a different level of security for the forums - maybe it's just me or a few of us, but although this isn't preventing site access, it sure makes in more of hassle than it used to be.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:

An update: Seems to be something to do with expiry times. Maybe response to "if modified since" type server requests.

Gah! Doesn't seem to be so easy to get past it today. The "My Cache Page" link just continually dumps me back at the login page. I've tried all the tricks I can think of; disabling proxies, wiping all cache in memory and on disk, forcing a re-load; but none of them let me get past the login page. (Netscape 4.7x on Windows 2000.)

Jeremy...HELP!

Do you think you could do us all a favor. Describe what the normal login process SHOULD be. Under what circumstance should we get logged out? Can we be simultaneously logged in on two computers at once (under the same username)? What kind of time outs are set on forums login? ...on my cache page login?

What kind of information do you need from us, the users, to determine whether there are still probelms going on? Should we start a thread like a form that has each user's software configuration, browser version, OS, whether they're running cookie cops or proxies? We want to help, really.

Just let us know what you want us to do to help resolve (what seems to be) an ongoing login issue and hassle.

Thanks...

Scott

quote:
I tried to sort out some issues with the forum and web site logins. Let me know if there were any improvements. Thanks!

That did it for me Jeremy - thanks. The problems that I saw were when I went between the forum and GC site, I would be required to log back in. Now that seems to be working and I can go between the two with one logon.

Thanks again for all of your help and work with the site, you have made significant improvements.

/cw

aka : Chris Williams

Caching in the North Bay and beyond...

sonomarin.net

quote:

quote:

An update: Seems to be something to do with expiry times. Maybe response to "if modified since" type server requests.

Gah! Doesn't seem to be so easy to get past it today. The "My Cache Page" link just continually dumps me back at the login page. I've tried all the tricks I can think of; disabling proxies, wiping all cache in memory and on disk, forcing a re-load; but none of them let me get past the login page. (Netscape 4.7x on Windows 2000.)

I've gotten stuck in a login loop once -- I kept clicking 'my cache page' and kept getting taken back to the 'okay, you just logged in' screen, over and over and over. A simple restart of Netscape got me out of it. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but it doesn't happen all the time for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

I tried to sort out some issues with the forum and web site logins. Let me know if there were any improvements. Thanks!

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Much better

Thanks Jeremy