Freaking log in again!?!?

Criminal

I'm still having login issues as well. I've tossed, er, cleared my cookies, to no avail. I'm capable of going to my cache page just fine, but EVERY time I click on the nearest caches link, I'm logged out. I click 'log in.' It just reloads the page. I click 'log in' AGAIN and fnally am taken to the login page. I stay logged in for a little while, but then a few hours later, if I go to my cache page and click on the nearest caches link... I'm logged out again. I'm getting really sick of logging in -- used to be, I logged in once and stayed logged in for months at a time, even if Hawkeye used the login on another computer, even if I logged in from both work and home. Is login use on multiple computers at once simply not supported anymore (which will make team caching hard), or is this not happening to other people?

So I understand correctly, you are using the "Remember me" link on the site and you are getting logged out when you try to visit the site hours later, but only on the cache detail page and nearest cache page?

Question:

1. Are you using 2 different browsers or two different computers when this is happening?

2. If not using cookies to "remember me" are you leaving your computer for a while and coming back to your machine? Sessions only last 40 minutes at the longest.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Jeremy,

I really appreciate all the little changes youy are making, BUT, I really think you shold concentrate on getting the log in solved. It is obviously not working for everyone and even though some say it is, it isn't! I use Safari (on a Mac) almost exclusively and before you made these changes it worked like a charm. Now, I am forced to use IE, which I detest. Netscape isn't working properly either.

Please remember the principal - KISS, OK?

Thanks again for trying so hard to please millions of us, but don't leave out all those who don't subscribe to the forums and don't know what is happening all of a sudden!

Mike

Same thing happens to me.

I log in and use the remember me checkbox. I go to my profile page where it says I am logged in. I click on 'filter finds' and it takes me to the caches nearest my home coordinates, but it now says I am logged out. I click on login and I login again using the remeber me box. I go back and everything is fine.

I've come up with the same results testing on the following platforms and browsers:

Safari 1.0 beta 2 (v74) on Mac OS X 10.2.6

Camino 0.7 (build 2003030613) on Mac OS X 10.2.6

Mozilla 1.4rc2 on Mac OS X 10.2.6

Firebird 0.6 on Windows 2000

Mozilla 1.4rc2 on Windows 2000

::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::

Searching through the cave. Team VaxCave.

87743_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

So I understand correctly, you are using the "Remember me" link on the site and you are getting logged out when you try to visit the site hours later, but only on the cache detail page and nearest cache page?

Question:

1. Are you using 2 different browsers or two different computers when this is happening?

2. If not using cookies to "remember me" are you leaving your computer for a while and coming back to your machine? Sessions only last 40 minutes at the longest.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

I'm logged in for everthing EXCEPT the path I described. From profiles to email this player, to the log in screen. Go back to profiles to email another player at the same time, same IE open, and back to the log in screen

Yes, checked both boxes for remember me and log in to forums.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

[This message was edited by Criminal on June 21, 2003 at 01:15 PM.]

I'm not sure if Jeremy was asking me or Criminal, but I'll answer for us as well.

quote:

Question:

Yes. Often I log in from home, then from work, then back at home, and/or Hawkeye logs in (using our team login) from a different computer in between my attempts. I'm getting the feeling that that's a problem? I guess I could wean myself off checking the site from work, but often I'm sitting at my computer, Hawkeye's sitting at his, we both try to remain logged in, and chaos ensues. We can hop around to 'my cache page' or 'view your profile as others see you' just fine, but as soon as we go to a nearest cache page -- bam, logged out.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I'm logged in for everthing EXCEPT the path I described. From profiles to email this player, to the log in screen. Go back to profiles to email another player at the same time, same IE open, and back to the log in screen

I checked, and the "email this user" link has absolutely 0 code that would redirect you anywhere. If you're not logged in the page just tells you that you aren't logged in.

I have done nothing to these pages so there is something else going on. I'll keep looking into it.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I've had a similar problem with Netscape. Sometimes if I want to look at someone's profile, it tells me I need to be logged in. But I already WAS logged in! It seems to happen most often if I have multiple broswer windows open.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

As if poor Jeremy isn't confused enough.. I have 3 machines, all running XP & IE6, I have not experienced any of these issues.... BUT I am also running History Kill. This deltes all my cookies and deletes all the old web page files, everytime I close my browser. Yes it means that I have to log in (once) everytime I come here... but I do not have all of these multi login issues....

--------------------------------------------------

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and think of what other words have "under"; in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.

I just recently had to start logging in again. I usually notice it when I want to do a ZIP code search.

Usually I have to click the link twice to prompt it to display the userid and password fields. Then I sign in and select remember me on forums, etc. checkboxes...annoying.

quote:
Originally posted by AnchMike:

I use Safari (on a Mac) almost exclusively and before you made these changes it worked like a charm. Now, I am forced to use IE, which I detest. Netscape isn't working properly either.

Just to demonstrate how difficult these sort of problems can be to diagnose, I use Safari on a Mac and have had no problems whatsoever. It remembers me on all the pages. I just tried Netscape (just for my own personal amusement) and it works fine for me as well.

You might try Preferences (Apple-,), Security, Show Cookies and remove the www.geocaching.com cookies. Log in again and see if that helps. You should also have "Enable JavaScript" and probably "Enable Java" checked on that same page.

Joani and I share my 'Marky' account for viewing nearby caches, planning our weekend adventures, printing out caches to visit, etc. which means that we are using multiple computers during the day to access the site. Is it the expected behavior to have to log in multiple times when you change computers (or when Joani does a 'filter finds' and then I do it from a different computer). I haven't mentioned it previously because I wasn't sure if it was a bug or a feature. icon_wink.gif

All in all though, even with the annoyance of having to log in more often it is still a time saver and I've also noticed that DB intensive operations (such as looking at our 'My Cache Page' with 'view all logs' no longer times out and displays in a reasonable amount of time. Good job!

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I'll throw my hat in too. I go between three different computers, I have tossed the cookies and I have to login whenever I get to a new computer. I have notice re-login issues when on the same computer but don't know when it happened and it is not that often. I primarily use two computers (home and work), but I used the laptop the other day and had the same issue. All are IE, and I even upgraded to the same version of IE and still have the problems. The forums don't seem to be an issue, just the site.

IE5.5 here. I go to GC.com and log in, then click on my cache page. It lists everything that it should. I click on my zipcode in the upper right corner of my cache page "Search for nearest caches in or Zipcode". Now it says I am not logged in.

I had to be logged in to get to my cache page with my zipcode. The search page gives me all geocaches at my zipcode, but says I'm not logged in.

These steps are all one after another on one machine. No 40 minute timeouts, no simultaneous logins, no multiple open pages.

Thanks, and I hope this helps. It is frustrating.

Friends don't let friends attempt to persuade them to be biased toward any particular type of cache.

I have a similar problem on my home PC, (Win98, IE5) where every time I use the BACK button to return to my My Cache Page, I get the login screen. I can either login again, or click the refresh button. I'm fairly certain the problem is in my antivirus/firewall software (Norton), not anything with GC.com.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kd4adc:

IE5.5 here. I go to GC.com and log in, then click on my cache page. It lists everything that it should. I click on my zipcode in the upper right corner of my cache page "Search for nearest caches in or Zipcode". Now it says I am not logged in.

I had to be logged in to get to my cache page with my zipcode. The search page gives me all geocaches at my zipcode, but says I'm not logged in.

Are you using a shortcut with your userID and password included with the shortcut? This might cause the problem.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

quote:
Originally posted by kd4adc:

Are you using a shortcut with your userID and password included with the shortcut? This might cause the problem.

No, using cookies (Remember me) and login to the forums.

Using IE 6.0.2800.1106, with cookies stored. Access the main page and it tells me that I'm logged in. I go to the state list and pull down my state. The state page tells me I'm not logged in. Refreshing the page does not cure the problem. Email still sends carbon copy spam to my email account. That is all.

Add another frustrated user to the list. I've also seen issues with having to login (seemingly) at random. I haven't paid enough attention to the specifics of where it's borked to notice a pattern.

I don't generally mind (too much) having to login multiple times. The one time I do mind is when I'm accessing the site with my phone, which is PalmOS based and uses a 14.4kbps connection. It's VERY time consuming (especially when you're on the move and just want the info quickly) to have to load the login page, enter the userid and password, login and then go back to the page you were originally going to. It's almost not worth the effort. With the old setup, I logged in once and bang - I was always logged in when using my phone. In fact, I logged in in March and didn't have to re-login with my phone until the site changed.

Why the multiple browser/computer/etc change? Were there big issues with people logging finds and such with other people's accounts? IMHO, the cookie should be set with an expiration of one month or longer and the login should be valid until the cookie is expired or deleted, or if the user logs out manually.

--

Random quote:

sigimage.php

Add another with those frustrating login issues.

I can typically enter the site and go to the 'My cache page' without needing to log in. But if I go to the forums I have to log in (and still get that annoying url redirect message). When I go back to my cache page and try the 'find nearest caches' with find filter on I need to log in again. It's a bit annoying that each of these pages needs a separate log in.

It's only an annoyance with my DSL connection, but it is an annoyance. This occurs with Netscape 7 under both Win 98 and XP.

At least now I know it's not just an issue on my systems.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Same here with the login issue....when I get to the Geocaching home page, it says I'm logged in. But when I try to add a find, it says I'm logged out!

Also, if I try and access a page from GEOCACHEUK interactive map, again, I'm told I'm logged out, and no matter how matter how many times I try to login via that cache page, it comes back with the same cache page.

Running Xp with ie6.

The login problems really suck. I normally get automatically logged in because of the cookies. This time I had to log in manually. Before I did, I clicked the forums and was logged into the forums but not the site. I haven't changed anything on my end.

I've been having problems this week too. Seems we can only have one session alive at a time... i.e. work or home, but not both. I usually check in on the site in the mornings when I get up, then occasionally from work, then again from home in the evening. Used to be that I could stay logged in on both sessions 'forever', but now I need to log in again at least twice a day. If I select 'Remember Me', then it should remember me already! Very annoying.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

Is this something that HAD to be done with the update? Before the revamp, we could be logged in at home and at work. Now If I am at work and my wife is on at the same time, login problems. Actually not problems, just have to keep logging in and bumping the other out.

Is creating another account the only fix?

I uploaded a fix to some irritating login issues that were happening. Like when you tried to login from the forums it didn't let you.

Here was the issue with the old version. We used a unique GUID for the cookie that was stored on your machine. If someone got hold of that GUID they could hijack your account any time they wanted. I can explain this now that we have replaced that security issue.

Now, if you log in and "remember me" elsewhere, it wipes your cookie info from memory for anywhere else. It's a bit extreme, since we aren't a bank and you're not transferring funds or anything.

What I propose is a shorter-term cookie, like 30 days, that you can create and use throughout that time. After 30 days the cookie will both expire on your computer and we'll delete the record from the database. How does that sound?

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:

What I propose is a shorter-term cookie, like 30 days, that you can create and use throughout that time. After 30 days the cookie will both expire on your computer and we'll delete the record from the database. How does that sound?

If it means I can be logged in at home and at work for the same 30 days, and husband/wife teams can both be logged in from different machines without bumping each other... AND we're not introducing any new security issues that would allow accout hijacking... then I could live with that. Re-logging in once a month is quite reasonable.

skydiver-sig.gif

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

Will this mean our custom shortcut to log in will no longer work or need modified? It's saying I'm logged in (upper right corner), yet it's asking me to login. When I do, it's back to "please log in" again.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

If it means I can be logged in at home and at work for the same 30 days, and husband/wife teams can both be logged in from different machines without bumping each other... AND we're not introducing any new security issues that would allow accout hijacking... then I could live with that. Re-logging in once a month is quite reasonable.

I'll second that!

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

I'll second that!

Thirded! [icon_biggrin.gif]

--

Random quote:

sigimage.php

I have a slightgly diff log in issue. I automatically go to the "My cache page" when I open Geocaching. I am always logged in. When I go over to the forums I have to login again. When I go back to geocaching I'm logged in there.

I have to manually login to the forums. What gives./ (yes, I checked "Login to the forums")

Wherever you go, there you are!

Now if I close Internet Exploder, and go back later in the day, it says I’m logged in. if I then click over to the forums, I cannot post without going back to the main page, logging out, logging back in, and then click back over to the forums to post.

On top of that, I continue to get the “Server too busy” message off and on throughout the day. Too busy doing what? It wouldn’t be so bad to keep logging in if the server didn’t hang when you’re trying.

Yo! Is anybody listening?!?!?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/