It's oh so quiet .... Shhh .... It's oh so still ....

Evening all!

I'm still in my first calendar year of caching and I'm startled by how quiet the caching scene's become since the clocks went back!

I was used to getting several finds a week on caches I own, but I've had about three in total since the clocks went back in October. It reached the point that I was making extra checks to ensure my caches were still there and people weren't just avoiding logging DNFs!

Is this how it goes? I'd've thought that the beautifully sunny cold crisp days were perfect for a bit of exploration!

Take care, keep warm, get caching!

N

It's a matter practicality for most people I'm afraid - especially anyone who has to work 9-5.

Sadly, those beautiful crisp days are spent in the office or behind the wheel or stacking the shelves, or whatever it is you do to earn a crust... and by the time the slave-drivers let you out the door it's all dark and for most people that means - no caching :(

I was out caching at 8:30am today, blinding sun, bitterly cold, slippy stiles, wet grass, mud (and other stuff!)...what can I add, oh yeah, it was glorious!! Would I change anything, apart from the 4 DNF's, hell no! Don't yer just love it...

But, I've got to agree... I'm not seeing some familiar caching names in evidence these cold 'n dark days.

Evening all!

I'm still in my first calendar year of caching and I'm startled by how quiet the caching scene's become since the clocks went back!

I was used to getting several finds a week on caches I own, but I've had about three in total since the clocks went back in October. It reached the point that I was making extra checks to ensure my caches were still there and people weren't just avoiding logging DNFs!

Is this how it goes? I'd've thought that the beautifully sunny cold crisp days were perfect for a bit of exploration!

N

you're probably home during the day but most people spend the few daylight hours at their job, if you are talking about during the week caching, and don't like caching in the dark and in the winter for that matter

personally i am at work before the sun is up and leave long after it set

Edited by t4e

Evening all!

N

you're probably home during the day but most people spend the few daylight hours at their job, if you are talking about during the week caching, and don't like caching in the dark and in the winter for that matter

Hummm ... I work full time, plus some .. I was referring to weekends, which was when most finds used to be recorded ... N'matter ...

Evening all!

I was used to getting several finds a week on caches I own, but I've had about three in total since the clocks went back in October.

I'm not sure it's anything to do with the clocks, or the weather for that matter. Looking at your caches you placed them in Sep and Oct; you're going to get a lot of visitors in the first few weeks/months as the local cachers see the new caches and go out to get them because

•  
  • they're close
  • they're now showing unfound caches in a see of smiley faces
  • there's a new cache hider on the scene and they want to check out your hides.

Once all those relatively local existing cachers have visited the number of finds will tend to drop as you then get a trickle of visits consisting of new cachers; people who are visiting, or passing through, the area; those locals who just didn't get round to visiting in the first few weeks.

Don't worry about it, it's fairly normal in my experience.

Evening all!

N

Hummm ... I work full time, plus some .. I was referring to weekends, which was when most finds used to be recorded ... N'matter ...

This time of year all the stuff working folks used to do in the evenings often has to wait until the weekend.

There's no such things as cold and darkness, only inadequate clothing and inadequate torches.

And last year, I went out and did a ring of 52 caches with 18 inches of snow around. It was exhausting, gruelling, I found all 52 and it was a major adventure!

Undoubtedly this is true - and for the cold part, I agree; it doesn't stop me. Snow does - unless I can walk to it from my house; as they do not treat the roads around my house, and my car is poor in the snow.

I'm not so keen on caching in the dark - apart from a night cache, or the occasional urban cache. Even with a bright torch I don't fancy walking in the countryside in the dark.