Handheld formated site

TJ-Tigger

With all the people who work to find a way to get Geocaching data to their handhelds, it seems that it would be a good idea to have a palm size formated site availble for Plucker or iSilo.

I used to carry the paper versions but now us GeoClipping (as I am watching TV), then create a html file with links to the files and then use iSilo to convert the html and txt files to an iSilo.pdb file.

The information for the site seems to be dynamically updated as it is, it should be an easy step to have a www.geocaching.com/palm site that would do the same thing but format the data in a handheld friendly way.

Just my .02 Geocoins worth.

I use the TMobile Sidekick and it is the ultimate portable internet. It will display the actual website, reformatting it into a vertical display, kind of like putting the whole website onto a grocery store receipt. You see everything just as you normally would, only 3 inches wide and as long as it takes. The point is, it would be much nicer to have a specially formated mobile website to use. Would save me a lot of scrolling.

If you're using Pocket Queries, you can use GPX Spinner and either Plucker or iSilo to put the cache pages on your Palm.

As a bonus, Spinner will also give you a file with meaningful waypoint icons and names that you can download to your GPS receiver.

Currently Spinner is a web-based app, but I plan to have a downloadable version available as soon as work slows down a bit.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

I'm probably going to break down and take Fizzy's perl code and modify it to generate WML decks. My dumb phone company (Nextel) isn't planning on supporting an HTML browser any time soon even though my phone (the Blackberry 6510) comes with an HTML browser.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by TJ-Tigger:

With all the people who work to find a way to get Geocaching data to their handhelds, it seems that it would be a good idea to have a palm size formated site availble for Plucker or iSilo.

A fellow geocacher named Brian was doing just this. He made PLuckerable pages avialable for a lot of areas. It was done months, months, before the offical mobipocket dreck came out. It worked, it had more detail than the mobipocket crude, and it looked great on a pda.

Of course no good deed goes unpunished and "something" happened such that brian was made unable to offer this up anymore.

hmmm.

The site is still up

http://www.pathetique.com/geocaching/

and Brain is working on a GPX based solution to get things up again. Hopefully he wont be "hampered" in his future efforts.

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

quote:
Originally posted by TeamWSMF:

Of course no good deed goes unpunished and "something" happened such that brian was made unable to offer this up anymore.

Are you saying everything on the web is public domain? Some call it a "good deed", some call it "steeling". I guess I am somewhere in between.

I found this article on the Plucker mail list server archive that talks about the people who lean towards the steeling view.

Screen scraping lawsuits.