Parking Waypoints

On one of my caches that is around a lake, I have a parking waypoint listed even though it's pretty obvious where to park.

My question is, what is the general opinion of having a parking waypoint where there is NOT an obvious choice of where to park? I like to spend my time searching for the cache, not a parking space.

I absolutely love to have parking waypoints listed. Especially when caching in an unfamiliar area.

Speaking of parking waypoints, I've noticed (now that I'm theoretically 'paperless') that the parking waypoints show up on the map, but if I'm not looking for them, I occasionally miss them. Any one have exp[erience flagging that there's an additional waypoint in the Garmin world? Etrex 20, to be specific.

Yes, Yes, Yes! Always give parking coordinates! You may think the parking location is obvious, but a cacher coming to your area from somewhere else won't know where to park! (Unless your cache is a LPC in the Walmart lot!)

We've spend some very frustrating caching days fighting heavy traffic to get to a cache because the CO assumed cachers would know where to park, even though the cache GZ may show up on the GPS right at the edge of a busy multi-lane highway! Our local park authority actually requires cachers requesting approval to place a cache in their parks to give a parking coordinate, in part because local residents had complaints about cachers cutting through private property to search for caches.

Those who consider part of the charm of caching to be figuring out where to park can just not look at the parking coordinates!

I'll use a parking waypoint if:

1. there is private property around the cache and I want to direct people to the legal access point.

2. I want to encourage searchers to approach the cache from a certain direction for whatever reason.

Other than that I don't use them. Figuring out how to get to the cache and where to park are all part of the sport.

Figuring out how to get to the cache and where to park are all part of the sport.

I have to disagree with this. The sport is finding the hide, not driving around wasting gas trying to find a parking spot and possibly causing or getting into an accident because you are distracted looking for parking near the cache.

Figuring out how to get to the cache and where to park are all part of the sport.

I have to disagree with this. The sport is finding the hide, not driving around wasting gas trying to find a parking spot and possibly causing or getting into an accident because you are distracted looking for parking near the cache.

+1

When I first started caching I missed out on a lot of caches because I couldn't find access. Especially around Boston.

The only exception: when someone places a series, I wish they wouldn't put identical parking coordinates on every cache. The Nuvi starts dinging like a Vegas slot machine. list the coordinates once and then reference that cache page on the others.

My question is, what is the general opinion of having a parking waypoint where there is NOT an obvious choice of where to park? I like to spend my time searching for the cache, not a parking space.

I don't use them unless there is a major chance of somebody violating the law if they park at the wrong spot.

Figuring out where to park is part of the geocaching experience. In my experience, the only ones who want coords for every cache tend to be numbers hounds, and I try to make my caches as unappealing to numbers hounds as I can.

If people have waypoints in the description, for things like parking or trailheads, I wish that they would use the additional waypoint feature. Some do, some do not. It's nice to have those things automatically loaded into the gps.

Completely agree. Had one today that had the trailhead listed in the description. UGH.

In many cases, parking coords would be nice to have. I almost missed out on an excellent EarthCache in Quebec because the parking coords were not listed. GPS brought us to the nearest road. Parking was a few miles away. "Ou est le parc de Johnston Bog?" and my high school French did get us to the parking (and the mile hike each way from there). Parking coords would have been much easier.

1. there is private property around the cache and I want to direct people to the legal access point.

2. I want to encourage searchers to approach the cache from a certain direction for whatever reason.

Other than that I don't use them. Figuring out how to get to the cache and where to park are all part of the sport.

+1

I use them occasionally...both as a CO and as someone looking for a cache.

Personally, I take it as a challenge when a cache write-up states something like 'the closest parking is at...', I bet I can find something closer! :anibad:

Of course if the CO points out that I NEED to approach from a certain direction, I would certainly use the provided parking co-ordinates.

Some of my better Geocaching adventures have been provided by approaching from the 'wrong' direction, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Sometimes it's good to have someone holding your hand at every turn, sometimes not.

I agree with Briansnat that parking is often part of the challenge. I make most of my caches involve multiple route choice options. Take a long walk up the valley trail or a shorter bushwhack over the hill? Cross the creek at the bridge or cut through the woods and maybe have to get wet? Sometimes I give no parking coordinates and other times I may give multiple choices.

Figuring out where to park is part of the geocaching experience. In my experience, the only ones who want coords for every cache tend to be numbers hounds, and I try to make my caches as unappealing to numbers hounds as I can.

I have parking coordinates on my hides, and I appreciate it when I find them on caches I am trying to find. I don't demand or expect them, I just appreciate them.

For me, the fun starts when I have parked the car and have headed out walking. I can understand that for some, finding out where to park is part of the experience. For me, it just something I need to do (unless I can walk there from my house or there is good public transit). It has nothing to do with numbers. I just don't find the parking part fun.

Now, there are cases where the cache has multiple approaches - some hard, some easy, etc, and the owner doesn't want to suggest or give away a specific route by providing parking coordinates, and I understand that. And I do find that fun; determining the best approach.

I agree with Briansnat that parking is often part of the challenge. I make most of my caches involve multiple route choice options. Take a long walk up the valley trail or a shorter bushwhack over the hill? Cross the creek at the bridge or cut through the woods and maybe have to get wet? Sometimes I give no parking coordinates and other times I may give multiple choices.

The first geocaches had no parking coordinates and minimal or no descriptions. Just a set of coordinates and go find it. We didn't have the option to add parking coordinates (unless they were placed in the text) for several years.

We used maps or a mapping GPS (though many of us didn't have the latter) to figure out how to approach the cache, where to park, etc. and we got by just fine.

These days a lot of people seem to want their hands held by the CO and expect him to do everything short of personally handing them the cache.

Edited by briansnat

The first geocaches had no parking coordinates and minimal or no descriptions. Just a set of coordinates and go find it. We didn't have the option to add parking coordinates (unless they were placed in the text) for several years.

We used maps or a mapping GPS (though many of us didn't have the latter) to figure out how to approach the cache, where to park, etc. and we got by just fine.

These days a lot of people seem to want their hands held by the CO and expect him to do everything short of personally handing them the cache.

Well,duh. ;)

We're just a bunch of cranky old timers. Kids these days want everything handed to them on a silver platter. :anibad: With grapes. :ph34r:

There's an option for that? :lol:

But seriously...

My company name and number are on my vehicle -- and it's annoying when you get a phone call demanding to know "Why were you parked in front of my house?" (yeah -- people have done that) because I parked at the spot closest to the coords, only to hike past a nice gravel parking area that wasn't on the maps...

99% of the time, not a problem, but occasionally, yeah, it's nice.

I do agree with you about the hand-holding, but that's another thread.

About the driving, though, I disagree. It's pointless having scores of people driving around needlessly, wasting gas. I use Streetview, although most of the time, it's very helpful, it's not always easy to determine parking ahead of time and many people do like to cache on the spur of the moment. I remember one cache I was looking for. The streets were very odd in that neighborhood. I did look up ahead of time and went to what I thought was a good place to access, but it wasn't. I spent 1/2 hour driving around very windy roads, finally after 3 tries was able to find a suitable parking spot that led to a trail.

Other times, there is no parking allowed at GZ, but there is something suitable nearby. I think without the CO giving parking waypoints and reminding people to respect the no parking signs, frustrated cachers would just park where they're not supposed to and end up annoying the neighbors.

I don't use them unless there is a major chance of somebody violating the law if they park at the wrong spot.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

+1

I use them occasionally...both as a CO and as someone looking for a cache.

Personally, I take it as a challenge when a cache write-up states something like 'the closest parking is at...', I bet I can find something closer! :anibad:

Of course if the CO points out that I NEED to approach from a certain direction, I would certainly use the provided parking co-ordinates.

Some of my better Geocaching adventures have been provided by approaching from the 'wrong' direction, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Sometimes it's good to have someone holding your hand at every turn, sometimes not.

I've got a cache with suggested parking coordinates but you don't *need* to park there. One can park closer and scramble up a hill, but they'd you'd miss the nice short, flat hike that, that goes past a really pretty area that's usually covered with wildflowers in the spring.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

+1 Ding

There are already plenty of park and grab caches available. I see no reason why I should contribute to any more. In fact, I archived a few caches that I had adopted several years ago because I didn't feel that they offered much more than an easy smiley. I *do* have a few caches that are easily accessible but they offer an interesting view or have a unique container.

Sometimes its nice to have them especially if there is prefered route to the cache location, avoiding the possibilty of crossing private property.

What I hate is to see it as part of the description NOT an additional waypoint. I may not read the desc until AFTER finding a parking spot, by then it may not be worth the trouble to have to enter parking coords by hand and reposition the geomobile to the intended parking location. Sometimes not having found a suitable parking spot (not knowing the CO had one marked) we give up on even seeking out the cache.

I don't think parking coords matter in the least on urban hides or park & grabs, but on trail caches (especially trails that don't show on any map), I'm grateful for parking coords, whether in the description or as a waypoint.

There have been many times when I've poured over sat/topo maps, trying to figure out where I should park in order to access a cache that's out in the forest away from any roads on the map. I've learned from experience that I really hate bushwhacking through brush that's taller than me (as it frequently is). Sometimes I can figure it out via the sat map. Other times I give up on the map and just drive out there to look - usually quite a drive.

One cache in particular took me multiple trips out there to find the trail. I finally figured it out through process of elimination, but that's the cache that made me decide to put parking coords on my own hiking caches.

I couldn't find it, but I recall a discussion where someone mentioned a cache with parking coordinates that yielded a pleasant hike a few miles long. There were closer places to park (much closer places to park), but the hike led the CO to recommend the parking spot further away.

FWIW, YMMV, and all that...

Wait a minute. We're not supposed to physically hand the container over to the cacher? No wonder I've been so stressed.

Given a choice of having a parking coord or not, I'd prefer to have one and appreciate it when one is provided. I may chose not to use it, but if it's not there, the choice has already been made for me. My car GPS also does much better with parking coordinates than with the cache as the destination. It's much easier for the CO to suggest a parking spot, as they are familiar with the area, than for the cacher to deduce it. It just seems like a courtesy to provide it for folks and it's easy enough to do. It's also nice to know where you parked your car...

edexter

In my area a cache with a waypoint for parking coordinates is becoming a rarity as 85% of the new caches placed are less than 200 yards from a roadway and more than half area within 50 feet of obvious parking. A parking coord would be completely redundant. Only caches that require a hike of any length need parking coords so its an easy filter to use if you are actually interested in exercising while you play.