"Busy Day"

scrapcat

Hi,

I'm relatively new to caching and recently attended my first event. The other cachers were talking about completing their first "Busy Day". I tried to ask what that was, but the room we were in was too loud to hear.

What is a "Busy Day"?

I've been searching the forum but don't see my answer. I apologize if I missed it.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I'm relatively new to caching and recently attended my first event. The other cachers were talking about completing their first "Busy Day". I tried to ask what that was, but the room we were in was too loud to hear.

What is a "Busy Day"?

I've been searching the forum but don't see my answer. I apologize if I missed it.

To learn about "Busy Day," you need to learn about Challenge Caches. Check that out here: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

Once you understand what a Challenge Cache is, look at these caches (or at least the ones with the Unknown/Puzzle icon):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?key=busy+day&submit4=Go

Edited by St.Matthew
14 minutes ago, unimoggers said:

What is the best possible scenario for a busy day? 11? 12?

Well, a busy day with 10 types could be done with:

1. traditional cache
  2. mystery/puzzle cache
  3. multi-cache
  4. EarthCache
  5. letterbox hybrid
  6. event
  7. CITO event
  8. Wherigo cache
  9. virtual cache
  10. webcam cache

The following are available to boost that to 11 or 12 types:

• mega-event
  • giga-event
  • Geocaching HQ
  • GPS Adventures Maze exhibit
  • Project APE cache

I think combining Geocaching HQ and the nearby Project APE cache would be your best bet for 12 types. Or maybe if there's a mega- or giga-event near Geocaching HQ, although I've heard that event stacking rules make it hard to list regular events or CITO events near a mega- or giga-event.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, unimoggers said:

What is the best possible scenario for a busy day? 11? 12?

Around a little while, the first time hearing about it.   Thanks for reopening this.  :)

I'm still challenge cache - free,  so nothing I need to be concerned with I guess. 

For me, a "busy" day would be a 5T or two, or a lengthy paddle-to.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 5/3/2019 at 4:04 PM, niraD said:

1. traditional cache
  2. mystery/puzzle cache
  3. multi-cache
  4. EarthCache
  5. letterbox hybrid
  6. event
  7. CITO event
  8. Wherigo cache
  9. virtual cache
  10. webcam cache
  11. I think combining Geocaching HQ and the nearby Project APE cache would be your best bet for 12 types. Or maybe if there's a mega- or giga-event near Geocaching HQ, although I've heard that event stacking rules make it hard to list regular events or CITO events near a mega- or giga-event.

There is a band of people who have all done 12 types in a day. I I think someone could do 13.

Someone could do the 10 you recommended, and add:
11) A project APE cache

12) Geocaching HQ

13) A mega event they'd need to help organize so it is on a weekday while HQ is open. This would need to be a fair distance away from HQ and the other event too.

They could also do a waypoint and benchmark, though they don't count. If there are any lab caches, locationless caches, or GPS adventures exhibits nearby, try to do them too.

So.... I'm trying to start a mega in Portland on a weekday during summer 2020.

On 5/3/2019 at 6:04 PM, niraD said:

1. traditional cache
  2. mystery/puzzle cache
  3. multi-cache
  4. EarthCache
  5. letterbox hybrid
  6. event
  7. CITO event
  8. Wherigo cache
  9. virtual cache
  10. webcam cache

When we went to Seattle for my brother's wedding, he helped us get eight types in one day.  No events or Wherigo. But we did make it to GC HQ.  

16 hours ago, CheekyBrit said:

Someone could do the 10 you recommended, and add:

Getting that amount these days will be EXTREMELY difficult because it requires same-day event stacking, and when you get to mega/giga along with standard events/citos, AND HQ and APE, it would take a very VERY special occasion for HQ to even allow such a combination of cache types in a reasonable vicinity to each other.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Getting that amount these days will be EXTREMELY difficult because it requires same-day event stacking, and when you get to mega/giga along with standard events/citos, AND HQ and APE, it would take a very VERY special occasion for HQ to even allow such a combination of cache types in a reasonable vicinity to each other.

I agree it would be difficult, but a flight in the middle of the day could get you around the proximity issues.

• Upvote 1

Yep, and eat up a whole lot of caching time :P (including travel in/out, negotiating routes to/from events, including large and busy ones such as mega/giga)

Didn't say it was impossible, just very, very, very, very difficult and/or unlikely. These days. Great planning if you can find an opportunity AND make it work. :cool:

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

Yep, and eat up a whole lot of caching time :P (including travel in/out, negotiating routes to/from events, including large and busy ones such as mega/giga)

Didn't say it was impossible, just very, very, very, very difficult and/or unlikely. These days. Great planning if you can find an opportunity AND make it work. :cool:

Considering all the other details, a flight seems like a minor aspect of the overall effort. And definitely nothing at all compared to the other unlikely things involved, like a giga event to attend and "just happening" to be in Seattle. I assumed we all understood that no matter how you slice it, it's going to be difficult and take careful planning and, in particular, absolutely nothing left to chance, so I don't really understand how "likely" comes into it. And, holy mackerel, are you seriously suggesting someone doing this would expect time left over in the day for any other caching?

Anyway, I'm not sure why you're arguing with me. We all agree it would be an amazing accomplishment. My only point is that the proximity problem with events seems like a minor problem compared to everything else since that can be solved by a simple plane flight.

3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

I'm not arguing. Just pointing out how rare and enormous an accomplishment it would be to achieve such a high icon count including multiple rare events in one day. That's all.

OK. I thought that went without saying. All I was saying is that it's rare and enormous even without worrying about event proximity issues which are easily resolved, comparatively.

I got 11 at GeoWoodstock in Ft Worth.   Lab CacheVirtual CacheLetterbox HybridTraditional CacheMulti-cacheGPS Adventures ExhibitMega-Event CacheUnknown CacheWherigo CacheEarthcacheEvent Cache  (and a Benchmark and Waymark as well)

I had considered making it 12 by grabbing a Webcam in Galveston just after midnight, then driving the 5 hours to Ft. Worth, but I'm not as young or reckless as I used to be.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1