DECLINED - [FEATURE] Option to strip or retain EXIF-data during image upload

longW

It seems, that with the new update EXIF-tags are stripped by default.

In the past those tags were stored with the images, and some cache owners complained about them as spoilers.

Now we have seen both options, but not at once.

Maybe it can be just as simple as a switch saying:

"Strip EXIF-data" before uploading the image.

It seems, that with the new update EXIF-tags are stripped by default.

In the past those tags were stored with the images, and some cache owners complained about them as spoilers.

Now we have seen both options, but not at once.

Maybe it can be just as simple as a switch saying:

"Strip EXIF-data" before uploading the image.

Yep, with the advent of GPS enabled cameras, it's a little too easy to accidentally upload a final location for a multi/puzzle cache.

Since it's possible to attach coordinates to an uploaded picture, I'd welcome it if the site recognized geotagged pictures and used the coordinates to populate its own coordinates fields. That would make it immediately obvious if the picture was geotagged.

Since it's possible to attach coordinates to an uploaded picture, I'd welcome it if the site recognized geotagged pictures and used the coordinates to populate its own coordinates fields. That would make it immediately obvious if the picture was geotagged.

Not anymore. The last update -probably- changed it all. It is not possible to attach coordinates to an image, if this image is uploaded to 'geocaching.com'.

Complaints are already popping up, e.g. if a tagged image should become part of a puzzle.

Hence my request.

Old images on the site maintain their data, though.

We have been stripping the EXIF data for quite some time. The decision was made to do so for privacy concerns.

I as well as others understand privacy concerns.

The answer to that is this:

By default strip the EXIF data, hoever if we want to upload the EXIF data, let us do so. It would allow us to make even more interesting puzzle caches. As well as being able tuse the photos with EXIF data as "proof" for certain "Puzzle type Challenges"

TGC

As well as being able tuse the photos with EXIF data as "proof" for certain "Puzzle type Challenges"

This would not be a reliable means of proof since the EXIF data can be manually edited.

True.... But keep in mind. Almost every type of proof that one could use as proof for a puzzle, Virtual, Earthcache etc... can be edited or "faked" if a cacher so chooses too.

The trick is to use several measures of proof, so having EXIF data in a photo could just be one more piece to the puzzle.

TGC

We have been stripping the EXIF data for quite some time. The decision was made to do so for privacy concerns.

Figured this out the hard way. I was setting up another puzzle cache with EXIF data to aid solution and realized I couldn't. Some previous caches of mine use EXIF data specifically for the solution.

I would really appreciate the ability to keep EXIF data, even if it meant changing some default feature. I can understand not wanting EXIF by default, but it would be nice to be able to keep data if desired. I know of several caches that use EXIF data (not just geotags) for puzzle purposes.

Figured this out the hard way. I was setting up another puzzle cache with EXIF data to aid solution and realized I couldn't. Some previous caches of mine use EXIF data specifically for the solution.

I would really appreciate the ability to keep EXIF data, even if it meant changing some default feature. I can understand not wanting EXIF by default, but it would be nice to be able to keep data if desired. I know of several caches that use EXIF data (not just geotags) for puzzle purposes.

Why I suggested that instead of being default on, it be default off, but that we as a cacher can choose ourselvs if we want to upload a pic with or without the EXIF data intact. Therefore if we are concernced about privacy issues. We let gc.com strip the EXIF data. If we aren't concerned about it. Then gc.com lets the EXIF data upload. Let us the cacher choose when we upload the photo to keep the exif data, or remove it.

tgc

Does that include stripping copyright information that the image poster probably doesn't want stripped out?

Again, I can understand why Groundspeak may want the default to be "remove all exif" including copyright data. But ideally there could be an unchecked box to the effect "retain personal data". Then cache owners could be informed by email not only that an image was posted, but further that the image may contain personal or geotag spoiler info.

Does that include stripping copyright information that the image poster probably doesn't want stripped out?

Again, I can understand why Groundspeak may want the default to be "remove all exif" including copyright data. But ideally there could be an unchecked box to the effect "retain personal data". Then cache owners could be informed by email not only that an image was posted, but further that the image may contain personal or geotag spoiler info.

It's extremely presumptuous to assume that anyone wants their copyright notices removed.

1.5 months to be exact, at the time of your post, i wouldn't call that "quite some time" though

would have been nice if we were told such practice was implemented, so i didn't have to bother stripping it myself

Edited by t4e
As well as being able tuse the photos with EXIF data as "proof" for certain "Puzzle type Challenges"

This would not be a reliable means of proof since the EXIF data can be manually edited.

True.... But keep in mind. Almost every type of proof that one could use as proof for a puzzle, Virtual, Earthcache etc... can be edited or "faked" if a cacher so chooses too.

It is still a very impractical way of verifying a puzzle cache. Besides, don't the guidelines require a logbook and only a logbook to verify a cache visit? All other methods are optional anyways.

Yes. If someone wants to protect their photos they can add a watermark. The copyright EXIF information was never useful anyways.

It is still a very impractical way of verifying a puzzle cache. Besides, don't the guidelines require a logbook and only a logbook to verify a cache visit? All other methods are optional anyways.

Logbooks are NOT required for Virtuals & Earthcaches... They are virtual in nature. Proof of being there etc.. is acomplished via special requirments setup by the CO of those types of caches. Some require answering questions, others require photos to be uploaded showing certain items in the photo, etc and a few other means.

As far as copyright info goes, if someone who owns the copyright to that photo is so worried about it being used elsewhere, then use a watermark, or simply don't upload that pic. Watermarks can be made to be visiable or invisible.

TGC

Edited by texasgrillchef

For how long? There are several puzzle caches out there that rely on EXIF data. Are they all broken now if they don't use a third-party image host?

For how long? There are several puzzle caches out there that rely on EXIF data. Are they all broken now if they don't use a third-party image host?

I just checked on one of the ones I've done and fortunately the exif data is still there. Whew!

This is ridiculous!  I had deployed a photo with EXIF information back in 2016 - USER COMMENTS - that gave information for the puzzle cache.  Now I try to update it and my CACHE IS NOW USELESS!!  Strip GPS info if you want, but USER COMMENTS??  Come on HQ, be a little more selective in what you strip out.

As per another forum suggestion, I have externalized the photo to retain the puzzle information.

Edited by geoCurious2
  • Funny 2