Etrex 30 accuracy

I was thinking seriously about buying one of these...as our first handheld GPS (currently using android phones) Not a good move?

I got a Etrex 30 about a month ago and have had no issues with it at all. From what I've heard others say the recent updates have fixed a lot of the eariler problems. I've used it pretty much in all conditions (heavy cover, open field, fog) and am very happy with it.

thanks, taggdog. purchase depends on price-match (waiting for a phone call), but we hope accuracy will be better under cover, and, more importantly, if we drop it in a muddy puddle it's gonna fare better than our expensive phones :)

The other consideration is our phones do "everything", so with a handheld we either wanted a simple arrow, or something that we won't regret buying as it does everything, thinking "I wish I'd bought...instead"

we guessed we'd want to upgrade from "arrow" to something better pretty quickly, and the price difference (~£100 for the 10 with no features, £160 for the 20 and (with pricematch from go outdoors) what should be £166.50 for the 30, with 3 axis compass + chirp makes it seem quite sensible, hopefully the next firmware update will be a charm, garmin seem to have a pretty good reputation for getting their devices right pretty quickly

If you simply want an arrow maybe you should consider the basic Etrex 10?

I've taken the middle ground and have an Etrex 20. It seems to have none of the problems associated with the 30, so maybe it's the 'electronic compass' bit that is throwing up all these gremlins. Mine doesn't lock up, copes fine under quite heavy tree cover and appears far more accurate than the Etrex Legend H that I had previously. Loaded with free open street mapping it's a great device :)

My 20, with 2.5 FW still has the 'sticky' issue. Sure wish Garmin would let -us- choose if we wanted static navigation on or off...

EDit: But I still like it a lot!

Edited by Ed_M

I’ve read other post, but wanted to address this issue directly. I am wondering if any Etrex 30 users have been having problems with reception in even light tree cover. I have had three Etrex 30’s at first it was felt that I received a faulty unit, but three means problems.

In deep woods it frequently locks up or freezes it has done this from as far away as 30 feet, but most often 15-17 feet. It has lead me as much as 100 feet without changing in distance from destination. When it does lead me back to the intended area it seldom will settle on one spot. Constantly reading 5-6-7 feet. I know that GPS technology is not perfect having one go to x marks the spot every time is not going to happen, but the Etrex 30 wins the prize for drift, and freezes. I’ve spent a lot of time talking with Garmin trying to figure out what’s up with this model. We have tried everything you can think of. I’ve even sent them my tracks from my GPS as well as detailed information of what its doing.

The GPS I had to compare this one to is the Vista H, It was highly accurate in tree cover, consistently.

If anyone out there is having similar problems contact Garmin and let them know the more people that contact them the sooner they will find a fix.

P.S. the compass losses it often, and needs recalibration frequently.

Having best luck on my 20 under heavy cover with glonass turned off.

Add my name to the list of aggravated 30 users with the sticky problem. Even with all the firmware updates, mine is still freezing and having to be recalibrated constantly. I sent a support request to alert Garmin that more and more people are having troubles with these machines.

I'm really put out with mine. I bought the new eTrex to replace a Delorme PN-40 that I got for Christmas over a year ago. It froze up constantly and had to reboot it by removing the batteries. I had started off caching with an eTrex Vista HC and "upgraded" to the Delorme. So, when it started having issues, I bought the new eTrex 30. Now, it's just as screwy as the Delorme.

If Garmin doesn't come out with a fix, then I am going to request a refund and try a Magellan.

Any updates on these problems?

I have a new eTrex 20 and constantly get the lockups (sticky) and bounced all over the place for a location. Its 20feet this way then 40 feet back were I came from then 18 feet west then 23 feet NE, ect. Before I bought the eTrex20 I used my car's 1350 and got great results ( yeah go ahead and laugh) now I carry both since 50% of the time the etrex is bouncing and the 1350 sits nice and calm usually within 8feet or so.

Any updates on these problems?

I have a new eTrex 20 and constantly get the lockups (sticky) and bounced all over the place for a location. Its 20feet this way then 40 feet back were I came from then 18 feet west then 23 feet NE, ect. Before I bought the eTrex20 I used my car's 1350 and got great results ( yeah go ahead and laugh) now I carry both since 50% of the time the etrex is bouncing and the 1350 sits nice and calm usually within 8feet or so.

See this post.