Etrex 30 accuracy

I’ve read other post, but wanted to address this issue directly. I am wondering if any Etrex 30 users have been having problems with reception in even light tree cover. I have had three Etrex 30’s at first it was felt that I received a faulty unit, but three means problems.

In deep woods it frequently locks up or freezes it has done this from as far away as 30 feet, but most often 15-17 feet. It has lead me as much as 100 feet without changing in distance from destination. When it does lead me back to the intended area it seldom will settle on one spot. Constantly reading 5-6-7 feet. I know that GPS technology is not perfect having one go to x marks the spot every time is not going to happen, but the Etrex 30 wins the prize for drift, and freezes. I’ve spent a lot of time talking with Garmin trying to figure out what’s up with this model. We have tried everything you can think of. I’ve even sent them my tracks from my GPS as well as detailed information of what its doing.

The GPS I had to compare this one to is the Vista H, It was highly accurate in tree cover, consistently.

If anyone out there is having similar problems contact Garmin and let them know the more people that contact them the sooner they will find a fix.

P.S. the compass losses it often, and needs recalibration frequently.

I’ve read other post, but wanted to address this issue directly. I am wondering if any Etrex 30 users have been having problems with reception in even light tree cover. I have had three Etrex 30’s at first it was felt that I received a faulty unit, but three means problems.

In deep woods it frequently locks up or freezes it has done this from as far away as 30 feet, but most often 15-17 feet. It has lead me as much as 100 feet without changing in distance from destination. When it does lead me back to the intended area it seldom will settle on one spot. Constantly reading 5-6-7 feet. I know that GPS technology is not perfect having one go to x marks the spot every time is not going to happen, but the Etrex 30 wins the prize for drift, and freezes. I’ve spent a lot of time talking with Garmin trying to figure out what’s up with this model. We have tried everything you can think of. I’ve even sent them my tracks from my GPS as well as detailed information of what its doing.

The GPS I had to compare this one to is the Vista H, It was highly accurate in tree cover, consistently.

If anyone out there is having similar problems contact Garmin and let them know the more people that contact them the sooner they will find a fix.

I think this is Garmin in general, recently, not just the 30. My 20 does the same thing -- I have to cycle power. Google "Garmin sticky problem" -- you'll see a ton of hits.

I keep hoping a firmware update fixes it. In the meantime, I either cycle power, or walk faster. My older Etrex Legend never had this problem. I've contacted Garmin via their web site, but never received a response.

EDit: Hm, just got off the phone with Garmin. The tech hadn't heard of the problem -- so I suggested she google it. Once she saw hits on multiple devices (Oregon, 62, Etrex...) she submitted it to the engineers. Anyway, she said'll she'll email me if theres any updates. It's a couple of months for a firmware update in her experience. Fingers crossed? It's an annoying problem to be sure.

Edited by Ed_M

I have an eTrex 30. I have been very disappointed with the accuracy / stability of this unit. I hope, as well as others, a firmware update will eventually help this unit. Right now it is not a reliable GPSr.

I have found when it's acting up, a power cycle and turning off GLONASS helps it quite a bit.

In hind sight, I should have waited and put up with my beat up 60csx a little longer.

The compass on mine needs calibrating regularly as well. The last time I went out it must have been required at least 10 times over a period of 30 minutes. During this time it was stored vertically in my trouser pocket and my guess is that is was subjected to too much movement.

Also make sure that it isn't stored near any device with a magent (such as a phone or pda case).

I have been disappointed with my 20 as well. It has locked up when nearing a cache and no matter which direction I walk it just stays frozen. It does eventually start again. I'm also not impressed with the accuracy. It is no better than my 10 year old yellow etrex. I haven't used it in heavy cover but was told there would be no comparison to my old GPS.

As stated in other posts about this subject. The unit's chipset firmware will improve over time. The eTrex 10-20-30 is the first Garmin GPS to use the Teseo II receiver chipset. As always, when Garmin uses a new chipset, it takes some time to dial in the firmware. Garmin always gets the issues resolved but it doesn't happen overnight.

As stated in other posts about this subject. The unit's chipset firmware will improve over time. The eTrex 10-20-30 is the first Garmin GPS to use the Teseo II receiver chipset. As always, when Garmin uses a new chipset, it takes some time to dial in the firmware. Garmin always gets the issues resolved but it doesn't happen overnight.

Do you experience these issues with your etrex 30?

If so, are you patient for garmin firmware to resolve them?

maybe I've just been lucky but mine, which is used almost daily, has had no lock ups and appears far more accurate than the Legend H it replaced

you're expecting far too much from a consumer handheld if you want to be always within 20 feet for distance and altitude. Altitude in particular can vary by 100's of feet.

I would consider always being more than 20 feet off for distance, and 100's of feet for altitude, to be issues.

I don't have an eTrex 30 but my neighbor does and yes he seems to be patient enough to wait for Garmin to fix the issues.

I have been disappointed with my 20 as well. It has locked up when nearing a cache and no matter which direction I walk it just stays frozen. It does eventually start again.

My eTrex 20 had difficulties with one cache the other day. It didn't lock up (freeze on a certain distance), but it did keep changing its mind about how far away I was from the cache and which direction I should go. On the other hand, my friend and I did a couple of other caches that same afternoon with no problems; the GPSr took us right to the caches.

I'm also not impressed with the accuracy. It is no better than my 10 year old yellow etrex. I haven't used it in heavy cover but was told there would be no comparison to my old GPS.

A couple of years ago, I took my Garmin GPS III+ to a picnic in the Santa Cruz Mountains (redwood forests). I was going to show a friend some geocaches, but after 2-3 minutes when the GPSr couldn't get a lock on the satellites, I gave up. This year I took my new eTrex 20 to the same picnic. It had a fix within 20 seconds.

Patty

I don't have an eTrex 30 but my neighbor does and yes he seems to be patient enough to wait for Garmin to fix the issues.

Perhaps there should be another topic for the Etrex 20. I just got one last week and put it through some tests. One was to check the track logging, on a 3 mile course where I have recorded many track logs over the years, taken with 6 other hand held GPSrs. The track log on Google Earth looks decent, better than some (GPS and Glonass and WAAS.) I like the way it saves and accesses the track logs in GPX format.

I also took it to one of the NGS super-accurate benchmarks. This is in a very open location, and I have also tested many of my other GPSrs there. With 10 GPS, and 8 Glonass visible and received, I tried combinations with both, only GPS, and WAAS on and off. There was no observable difference between them. Standing over a point near the benchmark, where I calculated the rounded coordinates, it was showing 4 to 7 feet away. The "accuracy" was showing 7 to 10 feet.

I went to a geocache in a heavily treed area that is a challenge. It settled decently and took me right to it.

I also checked the reported elevation in some open spots. It was very accurate compared to another GPS I carried which had a TOPO. Also, the benchmark. It was was often 5 to 10 feet within the other sources, always within 25 feet. This is very good and comparable to some other GPSrs that work well.

The above is after updating the firmware from 2.20 to 2.40. I can recommend this unit as a good value (I paid US$151 total delivered to my house, Cyber Monday deal.)

Edited by EScout

Thanks for sharing the information on the chipset; I’ve been wondering if Garmin had done something different with this line. I suspected they had.

I was told by Garmin that they had no knowledge of the 30 having problems, so the purpose of this post is to bring attention to the problems of the 30 in hope that Garmin will take notice, and look at the problem, and possibly find a solution. At this point I think it’s a wait and see what Garmin does. I will be bringing this forum discussion to their attention. It’s all I can do to help.

Thanks for that info, very helpful.

I am wondering if any Etrex 30 users have been having problems with reception in even light tree cover.

Generally speaking for any gps receiver, would a reradiating antenna be helpful? What is the best position for the receiver when hiking, on the waist vs top of the backpack. Maybe an antenna on the hat would work best?

Edited by johnlvs2run

I was out on a caching session yesterday and once again had issues with the compass, distances and directions on my Etrex 30. Calibrating the compass appeared to fix this but in one instance I had to calibrate twice within 2 minutes. I was under tree cover but it wasn't particularly dense- I could see plenty of sky. The gps appeared to freeze on a set distance and heading and didn't move whilst I walked for at least 10m. It then suddenly pointed back in the other direction and updated the distance. Later in the day I was out in the open and it did the same thing.

I also noticed that the direction arrow didn't always update accurately as I turned in a circle.

I had a feeling that the problems happened more often when I was alternating between map mode (with caching dashboard) and compass mode. I'll be testing again today and will report back

I've had my 30 for a few days now and yesterday was on a hike in dense redwood tree cover. The problems recounted above all were present for me. Usually I am not an early adopter on new Garmin stuff and this unit is a bit unnerving for its awful reception and freezing compass. I'll have to go on faith that it will get sorted out.

I have some questions that hopefully someone here can answer. For background, I've been using a 60CSx with extensive MapSource transfers. I also have a Nuvi 500 that has the geocaching function but it is convoluted to use and not good trying to pin point something small like a geocache.

1. The eTrek 30 can receive waypoints from MapSource, but not send them to it. When I try to do that I get the message that there are no waypoints on the 30. Can this be fixed with a setting?

2. Because of the above, I tried BaseCamp which is certainly different. Sorting waypoints is cumbersome-- the nice tabs in MapSource are gone. I don't see a count of waypoints like is at the top in MapSource. But my main complaint is that when I create a new BaseCamp map after hiking the caches found still show up as unfound and I can't find a way to see the track log. So the questions: Can found caches be shown in BaseCamp? How to I see the tracks? And can the huge icons be made smaller? I would stick with MapSource if I can get the 30 to send waypoints to it.

3. Has anyone developed custom waypoints for the 30 like are available for the 60 series?

Thanks for any info. Tom

I've had my 30 for a few days now and yesterday was on a hike in dense redwood tree cover. The problems recounted above all were present for me. Usually I am not an early adopter on new Garmin stuff and this unit is a bit unnerving for its awful reception and freezing compass. I'll have to go on faith that it will get sorted out.

I have some questions that hopefully someone here can answer. For background, I've been using a 60CSx with extensive MapSource transfers. I also have a Nuvi 500 that has the geocaching function but it is convoluted to use and not good trying to pin point something small like a geocache.

1. The eTrek 30 can receive waypoints from MapSource, but not send them to it. When I try to do that I get the message that there are no waypoints on the 30. Can this be fixed with a setting?

2. Because of the above, I tried BaseCamp which is certainly different. Sorting waypoints is cumbersome-- the nice tabs in MapSource are gone. I don't see a count of waypoints like is at the top in MapSource. But my main complaint is that when I create a new BaseCamp map after hiking the caches found still show up as unfound and I can't find a way to see the track log. So the questions: Can found caches be shown in BaseCamp? How to I see the tracks? And can the huge icons be made smaller? I would stick with MapSource if I can get the 30 to send waypoints to it.

3. Has anyone developed custom waypoints for the 30 like are available for the 60 series?

Thanks for any info. Tom

Acording to Garmin (I can't find a way to do it) Basemap will not show caches as found. I spoke with Garmin about this, and sugested they work on it.

Right click on the track on the left of the screen this will highlite the track on the map. you can also click on properties, and it will bring up details of the track. Waypoints elevation ect. I don't know about changing the icons.

Update;

I spoke with Garmin today, and pasted along this forum link, I was assured that they are looking into the problems. Keep you fingers crossed.

First thing to try is that icon at the right end that looks like a couple of arrows swapping things around. It switches the map and the list, which allows you then to list waypoints, count them etc.
Thanks, that was useful.

Right click on the track on the left of the screen this will highlite the track on the map. you can also click on properties, and it will bring up details of the track. Waypoints elevation ect. I don't know about changing the icons.
I'm still not seeing any track related name in Basecamp. Does that have to be imported separately?

The more I try to do stuff in BaseCamp the more disappointing it becomes. What were they thinking? :blink: /rant. I'll try BaseCamp a bit more but it is not encouraging.

I was able to drag the 30's track log and geocaches .gpx to MapSource when it is in USB mode so that is a work around to some degree. One weird thing is when I move caches to MapSource the name field changes from the name to the gc number. I use names, not numbers so that is a PITA. The name is now in the comment section but the info that was there is lost.

Since this is the first time I have bought a Garmin shortly after release, about how long does it take Garmin to fix the obviously broken stuff? I remember caching buddies with the 62s complain a lot when it first came out but now it seems to be better. I'm willing to wait weeks but not months. I haven't registered it and REI has a great return policy.

Howdy, neighbor. :-)

Tom, are you asking whether it's possible to create POIs for the 30 (yes, it is), or are you talking about some specific POIs that someone made for the 60 series? I suspect that the latter would work on the 30, but the only POIs I've put on my 20 so far are benchmark POis that I created myself, so I can't be positive. The 10, 20, and 30 have inherited a lot of features that have been available on higher-end Garmins for the past 2-3 years, so there may be compatibility with some other models.

Patty

First thing to try is that icon at the right end that looks like a couple of arrows swapping things around. It switches the map and the list, which allows you then to list waypoints, count them etc.
Thanks, that was useful.

I'm still not seeing any track related name in Basecamp. Does that have to be imported separately?

The more I try to do stuff in BaseCamp the more disappointing it becomes. What were they thinking? :blink: /rant. I'll try BaseCamp a bit more but it is not encouraging.

I was able to drag the 30's track log and geocaches .gpx to MapSource when it is in USB mode so that is a work around to some degree. One weird thing is when I move caches to MapSource the name field changes from the name to the gc number. I use names, not numbers so that is a PITA. The name is now in the comment section but the info that was there is lost.

Since this is the first time I have bought a Garmin shortly after release, about how long does it take Garmin to fix the obviously broken stuff? I remember caching buddies with the 62s complain a lot when it first came out but now it seems to be better. I'm willing to wait weeks but not months. I haven't registered it and REI has a great return policy.

This is strange. My track logs come up with the geocaches, so the list to the left has both geocaches, and track logs to choose from. Check and make sure the setting for data filter is set for all data. click veiw - data filter.

The garmin tec. I talk to today was not sure how long it would take for a fix. I've been talking to the same person from the time this started, so he knows what been happening. I read on another post that It could take a while maybe couple of months. All we can do is help them figure this out. When, where, and what.

This is strange. My track logs come up with the geocaches, so the list to the left has both geocaches, and track logs to choose from. Check and make sure the setting for data filter is set for all data. click veiw - data filter.

The garmin tec. I talk to today was not sure how long it would take for a fix. I've been talking to the same person from the time this started, so he knows what been happening. I read on another post that It could take a while maybe couple of months. All we can do is help them figure this out. When, where, and what.

I spoke to "Dixie" -- she was the one that suggested a several month firmware cycle to me. Although, if anyone else calls, specifically use the term "sticky" -- that's how she finally found the problem in their database and added a +1 to it.

As for the compass being off on the 30, an educated guess would assume that using it to navigate to a waypoint (or cache, in our case) involves the GPS calculating the bearing between two points -- where it thinks it is, and where it's looking to go. If it doesn't know where it is (coord's are frozen) then the compass will be off regardless of where you turn. It may still know north, so it's referencing it's bearing off of that, but if you move and the bearing changes... Just a guess.

Good news!! Garmin just posted an update for the etrex 30. new vertion is 2.50 They made a change to the waypoints so it updates more often, if I understand this correctly. I'll be out testing it Tuesday. I hope all goes well.

Installed and tested, but I don't see any improvement regarding sticky issue, slow map redrawing, compass quirkiness etc. Well, maybe next time... :/

Installed and tested, but I don't see any improvement regarding sticky issue, slow map redrawing, compass quirkiness etc. Well, maybe next time... :/

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:

Fixed issue where project waypoint feature would only work once per power cycle.

No mention of any other issues, so why expect any other problems to have been resolved?

After installing 2.50 I went out for a fast test. no improvement with the sticky issue on my unit. Your right sussamb, I guess we need an update that reads (fixed sticky issue) I wonder if Garmin was thinking it would fix "sticky" or was it some other problem they hoped to fix??????? Oh well, I guess we give should give them feedback.

Edited by roadandthesky

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:

Fixed issue where project waypoint feature would only work once per power cycle.

No mention of any other issues, so why expect any other problems to have been resolved?

I have one year experience with the Oregon 450, in numerous firmware versions they were constantly tweaking many issues, but almost nothing was mentioned in those changelogs, only minor things.

They simply don't want to admit that their firmwares are overflown with bugs, sometimes even fixed and later recurring again.

I really don't believe that after more than a month they fixed ONE bug. For example I've tested GLONASS today and it seems that now it's not drifting anymore. I would say that now the GLONASS in eTrexes is finally usable, because before 2.50 it wasn't. And no mention in changelog, guess why...

Dear Chris,

I agree. I believe it is a software issue. It is a known issue, and our Engineering Team is working on a solution. As it turns out, I do not have an estimated time for the solution at this time.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

A remedy - temporarily - may be a few quick steps in one direction. This may help.

So, they are working on it...

Dear Chris,

I agree. I believe it is a software issue. It is a known issue, and our Engineering Team is working on a solution. As it turns out, I do not have an estimated time for the solution at this time.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

A remedy - temporarily - may be a few quick steps in one direction. This may help.

So, they are working on it...

Thanks for posting that, anything from Garmin is helpfull, for keeping hope.

Strange thing happened yesterday. I was in the woods geocaching, and it was working very well. doesn't happen very often I think that was two out of ten. definitely not enough to be satisfied with it.

If Garmin can get this problem fixed this will be a great device.

Thanks for posting that, anything from Garmin is helpfull, for keeping hope.

Strange thing happened yesterday. I was in the woods geocaching, and it was working very well. doesn't happen very often I think that was two out of ten. definitely not enough to be satisfied with it.

If Garmin can get this problem fixed this will be a great device.

It's odd. If I'm just hiking, it never freezes. If I can find the cache visually pretty quickly, it never freezes. As soon as I go into wear-the-gps-around-the-neck-and-start-turning-over-rocks mode, it will be frozen as soon as I pick it back up. Seems like small, random movements flummox it's poor little brain. :)

Go Garmin. My fingers are getting cramped from keeping them crossed waiting for the firmware update that fixes this.

I'm glad too that Garmin working on it. My eTrex 30 this morning was acting like it was possessed. If I did not have my iPhone 4s (which I'm really quite impressed how accurate it is) I would have had a couple of DNF's today.

The eTrex was useless when nearing the GZ's, it would point me 150 feet in the wrong direction <_<

I used my 30 for another hike yesterday under heavy and tall redwood tree cover. Often I could not see the bright blue sky of a spectacular winter day in northern CA. :)

After installing firmware 2.5 it seemed to be more accurate and did not freeze up as it did in the first hike with 2.4; however, often there was a 2-3 second delay as the compass adjusted. I know the release notes said nothing about correcting this for 2.5 but I'm not complaining. I don't think it is a 'full' solution but the problem got less severe for me.

I was running the 30 along side my 60CSx. On some caches the 30 was more accurate, others the 60 was. Once near the cache site both settled down close enough to make the find.

Two friends have recently purchased the 30. One has City Navigator on it and it works well-- got a demo yesterday. I was concerned with the smaller screen size that it might be an issue using it in the car but I did so yesterday and thought it was fine. The other friend had an awful time with freeze up on the first cache, then it mostly went away. Go figure.

Edited by MotorBug

I used my 30 for another hike yesterday under heavy and tall redwood tree cover. Often I could not see the bright blue sky of a spectacular winter day in northern CA. :)

After installing firmware 2.5 it seemed to be more accurate and did not freeze up as it did in the first hike with 2.4; however, often there was a 2-3 second delay as the compass adjusted. I know the release notes said nothing about correcting this for 2.5 but I'm not complaining. I don't think it is a 'full' solution but the problem got less severe for me.

I was running the 30 along side my 60CSx. On some caches the 30 was more accurate, others the 60 was. Once near the cache site both settled down close enough to make the find.

Two friends have recently purchased the 30. One has City Navigator on it and it works well-- got a demo yesterday. I was concerned with the smaller screen size that it might be an issue using it in the car but I did so yesterday and thought it was fine. The other friend had an awful time with freeze up on the first cache, then it mostly went away. Go figure.

Hey, Redhawk you and Gator found one of my caches the other day. Thanks.

I agree with Motorbug 2.5 did seem to help some, but than again some satellite days are better than others, so its hard to tell.

I'm going to send a reminder to my contact at Garmin to keep an watchfull eye on this forum.

Thanks everyone for the help. keep those fingers crossed.

Hey, Redhawk you and Gator found one of my caches the other day. Thanks.

I agree with Motorbug 2.5 did seem to help some, but than again some satellite days are better than others, so its hard to tell.

I'm going to send a reminder to my contact at Garmin to keep an watchfull eye on this forum.

Thanks everyone for the help. keep those fingers crossed.

It was our pleasure. Thank you.

TheRoadAndTheSky is a geocacher from my area that I HIGHLY respect. He and I both waited anxiously to get our new eTrex 30 units. I didn't notice the problems at first, but then again, Road is a detail person. I've had the same issue with getting within 30 feet or so of a cache and the unit locks up. If I wander around enough it does free up and then is pretty accurate. I won't gripe about the end result, but the journey can be troublesome. I like the compact and rugged nature of the unit, and the ability to expand the memory with additional memory chips. I have a HUGE number of maps and caches loaded now, but do get frustrated when the thing pouts. Sort of like having Albert Einstein in the back seat, but he's not talking when the car abruptly enters a quantum dimension shift and my dog turns into an otter that insists on playing a banjo while I'm trying to drive.

Anyway, that's how weird it is when this seemingly wonderful little gizmo takes a crap in my hands.

I'm going to be patient, for now, and hope Garmin fixes it.

I'd still rather hike with a Garmin than any other unit... But dang... that new Magellen that's dedicated to caching and costs $145 is starting to look pretty good.

(Hint Hint)

-Monstercatambush

I got an Etrex 30 at the beginning of December (my first non-smartphone GPS); firmware 2.40 was already out at that point. I've been mostly pleased with the accuracy. I think the only time I had a real "lock up" issue was once where I got about 10 feet from a cache and it kept pointing me straight ahead 10 feet...for another 30-40 feet or so.

The other problem I've noticed and only this week was an issue of being about 20 feet off on a couple occasions. It didn't freeze at 20 ft to go; it simply thought the coords were somewhere else. One today I could get down to about 5 feet away from GZ (well within reason). I eventually found the cache with it saying 20 feet away. No tree cover at the location. Looking at Google Maps, the posted coords seem spot on. Interestingly, right after this, I put the Etrex next to my Motorola Droid (good accuracy without tree cover). They agreed on the N coords, but had a difference of .005 on the W coords. Not sure if this was just a fluke?

Not sure if it matters, but my batteries were low when this happened. FWIW I am using GPS + GLONASS.

I've decided to return my eTrex 30 to REI. Some of the major issues even after reading the manual, applying the update to 2.5 and making appropriate adjustments:

1. Compass and maps continue to lock up under tree cover. Even in the wide open to some degree.

2. Driving about 80 miles with no more that +/- 200 feet elevation reports 4142 ascent and 3865 decent. This regularly happens.

3.It has caused GSAK to crash.

4. Plugging it in to the USB cable results in GPS disk errors about 1/3 of the time. This must be corrected before the computer will see the 30. The USB cable is fine, its a Garmin one that works on every other USB device I have.

A friend got one at the same store a couple of days before I got mine. While that 30 has exhibited some map and compass lockup, the firmware update to 2.4 made it less of an issue. It has not exhibited the other problems. Makes me think I got a lemon. Whatever, I am returning it tomorrow. I don't trust it and most of the time have to refer to my 60CSx to make the find.

Edit to correct firmware verion update.

Edited by MotorBug

I've decided to return my eTrex 30 to REI. Some of the major issues even after reading the manual, applying the update to 2.5 and making appropriate adjustments:

1. Compass and maps continue to lock up under tree cover. Even in the wide open to some degree.

2. Driving about 80 miles with no more that +/- 200 feet elevation reports 4142 ascent and 3865 decent. This regularly happens.

3.It has caused GSAK to crash.

4. Plugging it in to the USB cable results in GPS disk errors about 1/3 of the time. This must be corrected before the computer will see the 30. The USB cable is fine, its a Garmin one that works on every other USB device I have.

A friend got one at the same store a couple of days before I got mine. While that 30 has exhibited some map and compass lockup, the firmware update to 2.4 made it less of an issue. It has not exhibited the other problems. Makes me think I got a lemon. Whatever, I am returning it tomorrow. I don't trust it and most of the time have to refer to my 60CSx to make the find.

Edit to correct firmware verion update.

WOW, that’s a lot of issues. I don't blame you for returning it, some of what’s been going on with mine is somewhat acceptable, but yours sound totally unacceptable.

I think the 30 has a lot of problems I'm finding more all the time, I just don't think Garmin has done very well at all with this unit, but I'm still hoping they can get it worked out. I'm going to send another email in the morning I don't want anyone to think that I'm now ok with its performance.

Out of the three units I've tried this last on has worked the best, but I still purchased a Vista HCX for a backup in the woods it has far better accuracy.

I hope you let Garmin know what your thinking is.

Thanks for posting!