Geocoin log entry removed?

geo-jenkins

I was reviewing some of my past entries of logged geocoins and noticed that one of them was missing.

This particular coin (Digital Hell) was one that, unfortunately, I was responsible for it being lost several years ago. I found it while on a business trip, and intended to take it back to my state. Somewhere in between the hotel, rental car, and airline, I misplaced it. Feeling really bad, I offered to give a replacement laptop geocoin that I had yet to activate. The owner was indicated that was not necessary, so I didn't think anything of it.

But now, I see that the owner still has one in his inventory, but there are no entries older than May of this year. And that one just travels with him. So he either removed all entries from the one he is carrying or he removed the first one from the system.

I suppose there is nothing that I can do about it at this point, if the owner decides it has a new mission and wants to remove all traces of everyone else that logged the cache. I think the owner has some questionable caching practices anyway (doing virtuals in Germany, Latvia, Canada, Missouri, Ireland, Texas, Wisconsin, Florida, and Washington DC all on the same day).

I'm just surprised that deleting someone's log of discovering or finding a coin is even an option. Anyone else experience this?

Yea, it happens. I don't much care for it either, but it is the choice of the coin owner to do so if he/she pleases.

I feel differently about that. I see a coin the same as a cache. When found (or rather moved or discovered), an owner cannot just remove the log. It would be something else if it was a virtual log. In that case the logger has never seen the coin. But once you have seen it, held it in your hands, the log should not be removed.

Yea, it happens. I don't much care for it either, but it is the choice of the coin owner to do so if he/she pleases.

I feel differently about that. I see a coin the same as a cache. When found (or rather moved or discovered), an owner cannot just remove the log. It would be something else if it was a virtual log. In that case the logger has never seen the coin. But once you have seen it, held it in your hands, the log should not be removed.

I agree with you, in theory. But in reality, it truly is the choice of the coin owner. As in, that's just how it works. Unfortunately feeling has nothing to do with it.

I'm not sure I understand this thread. The OP lost a traveling coin and now is complaining about what that coin's owner is doing with his other coins? You say you think s/he's deleting logs based on conjecture and perhaps a sense of insult that the icon you gained for finding the coin you lost has been removed. While it was the honest and honourable thing to do to offer a replacement for the coin you lost what they do with their property is really their business. Forgive me if I've misread the original post and there is a greater insult here that I'm missing.

On the subject of deleting logs.... yes, the owner (cache or coin) justly has the right to remove logs that are inappropriate, offensive, harmful, unpleasant or whatever. It is their property to do with as they wish. It is unfortunate when that right is expressed by new owners of activated and traveled coins who want to change the mission of their newly acquired property and delete the logs, the history, the photos, the pedigree and character if you will of these venerable game pieces. Very unfortunate and insulting to the folks who moved and logged the finds.... it sucks. But ultimately these do not belong to the collective, the community of geocachers or social structure supporting this game, it is still personal property we're dispensing with and our sense of entitlement as players is outweighing our compassion or consideration for the owners.

:ph34r: Rant over :ph34r:

Hey Droo - I'm right here....

:ph34r: Sarcasm over :ph34r:

I'm not complaining - just commenting. I don't know if it's another coin, or the original coin, but the owner now only has one 'digital hell' coin in his collection. So he either removed the coin altogether, thus removing not just my log, but all other previous logs from other owners - or he kept the same trackable number, and removed all previous logs, and started a new mission for original coin (even though the physical coin is lost). Sounds confusing - so I'm sorry if it's not clear.

You bring up the property issue, which is the real point I'm trying to make. And it goes not just for logs of coins, but logs for caches. So, as a cache or coin owner, I get to pick which cachers get to log a find or not. If I want to remove a find, then I'm allowed to do that, basically saying the person never really found it, or never really saw it. I know that's just the way it is, but seems backwards.

Signed, OP

I'm not sure I understand this thread. The OP lost a traveling coin and now is complaining about what that coin's owner is doing with his other coins? You say you think s/he's deleting logs based on conjecture and perhaps a sense of insult that the icon you gained for finding the coin you lost has been removed. While it was the honest and honourable thing to do to offer a replacement for the coin you lost what they do with their property is really their business. Forgive me if I've misread the original post and there is a greater insult here that I'm missing.

On the subject of deleting logs.... yes, the owner (cache or coin) justly has the right to remove logs that are inappropriate, offensive, harmful, unpleasant or whatever. It is their property to do with as they wish. It is unfortunate when that right is expressed by new owners of activated and traveled coins who want to change the mission of their newly acquired property and delete the logs, the history, the photos, the pedigree and character if you will of these venerable game pieces. Very unfortunate and insulting to the folks who moved and logged the finds.... it sucks. But ultimately these do not belong to the collective, the community of geocachers or social structure supporting this game, it is still personal property we're dispensing with and our sense of entitlement as players is outweighing our compassion or consideration for the owners.

:ph34r: Rant over :ph34r: