SUBMITTED (33056) - [BUG] Forum Avatars "Scrambled"

knowschad

Silence is golden, golden, golden.......

Song by the Four Seasons and The Tremeloes 1964 :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I will not be able to update you on a regular/weekly basis. I am tracking far too many requests and issues to be able to do that effectively. Instead, I will update this thread when there has been a change.

I've been seeing this problem with avatars/photos for some time now. It's really starting to bug me so I checked over here and see that others are having the same exact problems. Avatars are scrambled, photos don't show correctly and when I refresh the page to straighten the pictures out, it's like playing a slot machine...you never know what you're going to get! Clicking on a photo in a cache log most often ends up never loading.

Don't know if it will help, but I'm using Windows XP Prof SP2 and IE8.

I hope you can figure it out soon. It's starting to get very frustrating.

Silence is golden, golden, golden.......

Song by the Four Seasons and The Tremeloes 1964 :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I will not be able to update you on a regular/weekly basis. I am tracking far too many requests and issues to be able to do that effectively. Instead, I will update this thread when there has been a change.

I think I know what you want to say, but AFAIK there is no indication at all this annoying problem is being adressed effectively.

This thread started weeks ago, as a matter of fact on december 7th last year, and all we know is that Groundspeak could not reproduce the problems the users are encountering.

I think some kind of update - be the result negative or positive - could be given every now and then. If it's difficult for Moun10bike to track the problem himself - and I'm convinced this is not the only problem he has to track/adress/tackle - one of the options can be that the software-engineer(s) involved report to him on a regular basis and this is relayed to us. This issue may not be on the top priority-list but informing the customers is the least Groundspeak can do.

Dgwphotos even didn't get an answer on a simple question, even after giving information as why he is asking this question.

Edited by Pocileh

Is anyone still noticing this issue? I haven't seen it in one or two weeks myself.(Not absolutely sure when the last time I saw it was.) :unsure:

Yes, the issue is still there but less prominent.

I must admit that it is much harder now to reproduce the "scrambled avatars on forum" issue. So something has been changed at GS side.

Yesterday i had my avatar instead of an image on a cachepage. Next time i will post a screenshot.

I will keep an eye on this issue...

Edited by DanPan

Yes, have to "raise my voice".

I won't post pictures as I get tired of all the mess I see.

Last week it was fairly good, hardly any problem.

Untill it started again yesterday or the day before.

And today it's a big mess!!!

Pages loading slowly and all kind of pictures and avatars messed up.

I realy, realy, REALY, REALY!!!!!! hope for improvement on short notice.

But I have to admit, the way GS responded to our requests and reports makes me think they are ignoring this very annoying problem, or at least hardly putting effort in solving it.

Should I renew my PM?

The scrambling has happened to me frequently in recent weeks/months, runnning IE9 and Windows Vista, seeing my avatar on others' forum posts and cache pages. Unless I was browsing the forums, I wouldn't have thought to post about the problem, but feel this issue is more widespread than GS realizes. And yes, I've repeatedly cleared my browser cache/cookies.

It's four months now. And the fun is going on....

When is Groundspeak going to take this on.... or don't they regard this to be an serious issue?

It looks as if the problem was getting worse last week or so. Had several pageviews and the only avatar visable was my own for every poster. But also on the cachepages it's a mess every now and then.

Just another example:

Mountainbike28.PNG

Any info about this ongoing story is greatly appreciated!!

When is Groundspeak going to take this on.... or don't they regard this to be an serious issue?

I just skimmed back through this thread, and I can only count 14 people that have posted that they are experiencing this problem. I've never seen it, and I use the site daily. I'm betting no one at Groundspeak has been able to duplicate it either. If you 14 people want this to be fixed, I think you're going to have to do a whole lot more to help diagnose exactly what the problem is.

We need to figure out what you have in common. What browsers are you seeing this on?

Are you running any sort of web accelerator such as FasterFox?

Are you using a web proxy?

Are you using HTTP Pipelining?

Some other possibilites can be found on this page and this page.

Are you serious?

If you really would have been reading through the postings you can see that various people are using various O/S and browsers. Several have offered help but so far no to the point comments from GS.

And several have noticed it only happening when visiting the GS site. I noticed it as well visiting a GS related site like I mentioned in one of my postings (see posting 122).

But if Groundspeak treads complaints this way, I understand why people are reacting to my posting on the Dutch forum, asking them to contribute if they are encountering this problem, the way they are, stating they don't want to make the effort to contribute because Groundspeak won't take it seriously anyway.

And so far they seem to be right, it's close to four months now since Knowchad filed the complaint and this is only :rolleyes: posting 223 so far.

As far as your questions:

Several people using several browsers and seeing it.

On my side:

No accelerator, no proxy, no pipelining, and it's only happening on the GS-site.

Edit: I looked at the pages you linked to. I have not studied them in every detail, but for what I've seen on those pages I've been trying it allready, like clearing caches and cookies, disabling AV-software (I'm using Avast Antivirus). But because this phenomena is only visible on the GS (related) pages I'm sure the problem is not on my side but at GS.

Edited by Pocileh
I think you're going to have to do a whole lot more to help diagnose exactly what the problem is.

As requested by Moun10Bike i've made some Wireshark captures files and sent them to GS. (post #164)

What was the outcome of the analyse done by your engineers?

"How to reproduce the "avatar" problem" -> post #90

Please let me know which other info you need to help diagnose the problem.

Edited by DanPan

I just skimmed back through this thread, and I can only count 14 people that have posted that they are experiencing this problem. I've never seen it, and I use the site daily. I'm betting no one at Groundspeak has been able to duplicate it either. If you 14 people want this to be fixed, I think you're going to have to do a whole lot more to help diagnose exactly what the problem is.

We need to figure out what you have in common. What browsers are you seeing this on?

The weird thing is that I noticed it a few times right when it started happening, but then I haven't seen it since. I haven't changed anything that I've been doing.

I understand that you are frustrated by this issue. DanPan's Wireshark logs are on the IT team's plate but they have not been able to determine the cause of this problem from them. I ask that you please understand that only a relatively small number of people have reported this issue in the forums, and we have virtually no reports of it in our main issue reporting system (mails to contact@geocaching.com). For this reason, other issues have taken priority over this one, but that does not mean we have given up or don't care.

I understand that you are frustrated by this issue. DanPan's Wireshark logs are on the IT team's plate but they have not been able to determine the cause of this problem from them. I ask that you please understand that only a relatively small number of people have reported this issue in the forums, and we have virtually no reports of it in our main issue reporting system (mails to contact@geocaching.com). For this reason, other issues have taken priority over this one, but that does not mean we have given up or don't care.

Do not give up Nebias, ehh... Moun10Bike. :D

3-04-2012%2022-33-40.jpg

What we have in common? We all using the image server @ Groundspeak. ;)

The issues were seen with different browsers and OS: XP/Win7, IE8/9, FireFox, Chrome, ...

I do not use FasterFox or pipelining.

The suggestions you give are unfortunately related to FireFox/Mozilla, i'm using IE.

Do you have other suggestions to try?

Maybe the root cause and solution is not at the client but at server side.

Edited by DanPan

The weird thing is that I noticed it a few times right when it started happening, but then I haven't seen it since. I haven't changed anything that I've been doing.

I'm largely in the same boat as Ambrosia. I saw the problem for quite awhile, then it just seems to have disappeared, and I haven't made any changes.

Wow - just happened to me again. Vista and Chrome.

Chrome's little circle thing at the top kept going round and round as though the page was stuck in loading. Looked complete - just had the wrong avatars on the wrong names. After a few moments - almost all the avatars went blank, circle stopped turning - seems like the images timed out but for a moment some kind of cached image was used in place of the real one.

Can't quite confirm that.

It looks as if there is some improvement, but it's still happening.

If I look at this page, it took about 5 minutes to load and several avatars are wrong (five out of seventeen)

Edit: after posting this the page reloaded and then 8 avatars out of (now) 18 postings were wrong. Took about 3 minutes to load completely.

Edited by Pocileh

Since I switched from FF to Chrome, this has occurred very frequently.

I have a hunch that Chrome sends more simultaneous gets to the image server than FF. And when the server responds slowly (2min) the avatars and images in general are scrambled.

has the photo and icon scramble issue been figured out yet ... ?

a few moments ago i had my stat bar and my profile icon replaced by photos from my relatively unrelated travel bug page ... and the mixed up stat bar happens to be showing up as the sig on a non gc.com forum. ... that i still have open, i might be able to get a screenshot....

e4748047-c765-435e-98fd-7d54b19c6fb3.jpg?rnd=0.4484783

supposed to be ...

1f7c8c2e-dac9-4020-8f17-87ce3094f5e9.jpg?rnd=0.09976703

this has been quite a long-term issue ... are we just dealing with this annoyance, or is it on someone's radar?

adding this to the list ... i don't know how to move it here.

I just noticed that the response for viewing images in logs is really slow.

When I open the image into a new tab, it is still slow, but if I remove "/display" from the link, the image loads without noticeable delay.

Slow: http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/display/7c43148e-5b0f-46b7-aafe-14f296d66bfd.jpg

Not slow: http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/7c43148e-5b0f-46b7-aafe-14f296d66bfd.jpg

During the time I was looking for this thread and writing this, the slowness went away :blink: