SUBMITTED (33056) - [BUG] Forum Avatars "Scrambled"

knowschad

Weekly update

This problem doesn't seem to be going away :rolleyes:

Users have shown the problem to be repeatable.

The problem has been seen using

XP, XP Pro, Vista and Windows 7.

And the following browsers.

IE7, IE8, IE9, Chrome, FireFox.

For those experiencing the problem, the Official response is to clear you cache...

The problem was first discussed October 19th

Then again Oct 30th

And again Nov 8th

For those experiencing the problem, the Official response is to clear you cache...

That's not an honest way of describing things. The first step we have asked in troubleshooting is to see if clearing the cache makes a difference. Beyond that, we have not been able to duplicate this issue in any form, so we have not been able to isolate what might be causing the issue for others.

6-01-2012%2023-18-52.jpg

Server: WEB12

After a refresh the right image was loaded, but 5 avatars in the logs could not be loaded.

I have noticed that after the refresh "Server: WEB12" was switched to "Server: WEB01".

I'm not a load-balancing expert, but i have a little knowledge how LB on a Webfarm works.

If you open your browser and connect to a load-balanced URL, the loadbalancer will direct your browser to one of the webservers in the farm. During the entire session (http://www.geocaching.com) your browser should stay connected to that initial webserver.

If after a refresh your browser is re-connected to a new web server this is not a normal behaviour.

I suppose that the initial connection was timed-out or lost and the browser re-connected to the LB URL and the loadbalancer redirected my browser to a new webserver in the farm.

Edited by DanPan

That's not an honest way of describing things. The first step we have asked in troubleshooting is to see if clearing the cache makes a difference. Beyond that, we have not been able to duplicate this issue in any form, so we have not been able to isolate what might be causing the issue for others.

What do you suggest we do then ?

Additional users affected by this bug are asked to write to contact@Groundspeak.com so we can track your cases.

Please understand that Groundspeak's hands are tied on this bug, We have not been able to reproduce the perfect storm of factors of this bug. When we ask you to troubleshoot, we are not asking you to do our job for us, but only to help us pinpoint the exact situation that causes the bug. We are as frustrated as you by the persistence of this bug. We continue to assess the additional information that us provided.

I can easily reproduce the problem, i will make a wireshark capture and send it to GS.

Maybe this capture(s) can help GS to pinpoint to the root cause of this problem.

Please email it to contact@Groundspeak.com and mark it Attn: Moun10Bike so we can get it straight to him.

Many thanks!

Please email it to contact@Groundspeak.com and mark it Attn: Moun10Bike so we can get it straight to him.

Many thanks!

I did 3 different scenario's.

1) loading avatars on www.geocaching.com

2) loading avatars on forum topic

3) loading avatars on cachepage

5 capture files are sent.

Edited by DanPan

Yup, had the same experience, see my previous posting (#122).

This was on the Dutch Geocachers site/forum.

At this moment - I have to say - everything seems to be all right. Pages are loading quickly and no wrong pictures. As well over here as on the Dutch site.

Edit: Hold on, after having posted this message it took about four minutes for the page to load again and several avatars (Blorenges, Nebias, Kantear) were messed up.

Cheers,

Edited by Pocileh

There is something weird going on in this thread - LINKY - right now that is causing the thread not to fully load. It almost loads (not sure what exactly is not completing) but the loading circle continues to spin in the tab.

Someone else try it. Load it once and then hit F5 to reload and it should scramble your images.

There is something weird going on in this thread - LINKY - right now that is causing the thread not to fully load. It almost loads (not sure what exactly is not completing) but the loading circle continues to spin in the tab.

Someone else try it. Load it once and then hit F5 to reload and it should scramble your images.

Not doing it for me, but the images in posts 10 & 11 are not there - just says "posted image". That might be where your problem lies?

I'm also on an older XP machine today too. It's happening pretty consistent too.

The first time I load the page, it will load like always. Avatars look fine.

But if I hit refresh a few times the loading icons goes to spinning in the tab and I get to watch all the avatars shift around. :D

I'm also on an older XP machine today too. It's happening pretty consistent too.

But if I hit refresh a few times the loading icons goes to spinning in the tab and I get to watch all the avatars shift around. :D

Sounds like you are playing on a slot machine. Let us know if you win anything big. :laughing:

Sounds like you are playing on a slot machine. Let us know if you win anything big. :laughing:

Doesn't work on the Win7 machine. When I get bored, I'll go back to the XP machine and spin the avatars some more. :D

I can replicate this over and over on the XP machine. It's XP Pro SP3 running Firefox 3.6.25.

[snip]

Firefox 3.6.10 here on an XP Pro SP3 32-bit. I'm in the same thread, have reloaded it countless times, and also tried the "reload all tabs" method, and am not seeing any scrambled avatars...

Edit: tried again after an "upgrade" to 3.6.23, and it's still not doing it.

Edited by dfx

Is the posting above supposed to look like this?

BTW it took ages to load the last picture ("the correct image is")

Mountainbike18.PNG

I'm wondering or there is any progress in this ongoing matter?

Looking at this page at this moment, all the avatars are messed up.

And this guy "Pocileh", can't he be banned? His avatar is showing on allmost every page I'm visiting using all kind of names. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Edited by Pocileh

I noticed a photo replaced by an avatar in a forum thread, so I cleared the browser cache, and went back to the page, and found that the photo would not load, and a few of the avatars would not load either. This occured in the Photos of Cool Cache Containers thread. Also, avatars are taking a long time to load in other threads, and when they finally load, they are scrambled.

Edited by Dgwphotos

Just kicking....

Have not noticed any posting regarding this being solved or not.

Going through the forum, it looks as if the problem is still not solved.

But have not read any message saying the devvers are still trying to find a solution or not or what Groundspeak is undertaking at the moment.

Not bothered contributing to this before because I had nothing helpful to say and don't find it particularly bothersome, I am sure there are others who feel the same way, but to reassure tptb that is happening to more users than those posted I am doing so now.

I don't have any technical knowledge nor do I know how to take screen captures to illustrate the issues, but I have been seeing the avatar scrambling since the problem first arose, I notice it about once a week (could be happening more often I just don't spot it) mostly avatars but occasionally on posted photos. Whenever I have noticed it seems to only be scrambling of images that are meant to be on that page they just appear in the wrong place. I use windows IE v8 and XP.

Most recently today it was in an OT thread 'I love my car', where gitchee-gummees avatar appeared instead of Planets teardrop van - as I said its not bothersome but that time it did confuse me as to why planet tows gitchee gummee and calls them her little guy.

We have not made any further progress on tracking down the avatar issue, unfortunately. I'll post when we know more.

I assume you have noticed the problem is not confined to the avatars only. They seem to suffer most of it, but it also happens with other images, like images in postings.See how Castle Mischief's posting above looked for about 2 minutes and how it looked thereafter:

Mountainbike19.PNG

And after:

Mountainbike20.PNG

And yes, it also happens when visiting another website, like the Dutch geocaching site. As soon as images are loaded from the Groundspeak servers there is a risk of wrong images being loaded.

Edited by Pocileh

Okay, understood.

Please be so kind to keep us posted on a regular basis (f.i. once a week). That way we know what is happening and we don't have to ask the same question over and over again.

The problem is very annoying as you know and when it happens it also keeps pages from loading quickly. As said before, it can take minutes for pages to load in that case.

At this moment I'm visiting these pages using my brothers computer. He's living in a different part of the country, about 240 kms away.

This computersystem was never used to visit the Groundspeak site so no trash from previous visits 'living' on this system.

His provider is not the provider I have at home.

However, the 'problem' on his 'vergin' computer is exactly the same.

Scrambled pictures all over. MOST of the pages loading slowly (waiting for files from the image server.. //img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/....)resulting in scrambled pictures, some of them loading in a flash and loading correctly.

Maybe this info is of some help.

Edited by Pocileh