SUBMITTED (33056) - [BUG] Forum Avatars "Scrambled"

knowschad

There is a thread in the Geocaching Topics forum regarding "Scrambled Avatars": http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=284983 The issue has been seen by a number of forum users, but to date, Groundspeak has not publically addressed the issue. I have not experienced it myself, but this morning I received an email from another forum user who thought that I was using his avatar, and he wasn't terribly happy about it (he relaxed after I explained that it was a bug, and not something I was intentionally doing).

When I look at forum posts that user has posted, I see his own, unique avatar (he has his username written on the avatar, so I have no doubt that it is the correct one) so this is not something that everybody sees.

What I am using is probably irrelevant, but just in case:

Firefox 8.0 w/Greasemonkey enabled

Win XP SP 3

I last reset my avatar on Dec 4 and have logged out and back into the forums. The user that emailed me did not say when he noticed the problem.

Chiming in here, being the person who contacted Knowchad about using my avatar.

First a few words of explanation.

Some weeks ago I noticed someone might be using 'my' avatar, the image of a plain golfball.

I didn't think a lot of it, just thought it to be a strange coincidence.

The dag before yesterday (or yesterday depending where you live on mother earth) I decided to alter my avatar and add my name to the image. So I did, uploaded the avatar now showing my nickname (Pocileh) and forgot about it...until this morning. Browsing the forum I noticed my 'new' avatar ......showing as avatar on a posting by Knowchad. Strange....paged a few pages forward and back but nothing changed.

So I assumed Knowchad used some kind of link to my avatar and contacted him to ask him to alter his avatar because 'his' avatar now was showing my nickname.

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit harsh in my email, but that was not intended.

He informed me that this was a known bug in the Groundspeak software and provided a link. In hindsight I knew about this bug but assumed that was ironed out.

Later on he informed me that he had undertaken action and started a bug report.

When I went to this page I noticed that his posting didn't show my avatar but a different one, a dog with glasses. I assume it's his real avatar.

But then, scrolling down, surprise surprise. There was the posting Moun10bike added, suggesting to empty the browser cache..

Well, I've done that yesterday during a general cleanup of my computer so that waqs done before reporting to Knowchad.

But looking at the moun10bike's avatar I couldn't believe my eyes:

Mountainbike.PNG

'MY' avatar was showing!

So I think there still is some kind of bug present and I hope Groundspeak will correct that.

Thanks to Knowchad for filing this bugreport.

Regards, Pocileh

Edited by Pocileh

This is not something that is occurring globally, as this is the first I've heard of it. Also, since the forum software is developed by a third-party, I don't believe that there is much that we could do even if we were able to pinpoint the issue. That said, I definitely like to hear if others are seeing this and what might be causing it.

Both this thread and the previous one were started on the day of or immediately after a site update. Both updates have involved significant changes in our image storage and handling. I'm guessing that this is occurring as a result, although a clearing of the browser cache should have cleared up the issue shortly thereafter if that were the case.

Well, just looked into this thread again to check or there was any recent info.

No, but I think this phenomena is happening more often then just once in a while.

Look at these screenshots I saved a few minutes ago and compare them to Moun10bikes postings above :rolleyes: First screenshot:

Mountainbike2.PNG

And the second one:

Mountainbike3.PNG

But the third one after a page refresh is even better

Mountainbike4.PNG

Or, and this one is the last one:

Mountainbike5.PNG

Very, very annoying :o:o

Or must I say: Hilarious :blink:

Regards,

Edited by Pocileh

Well, just looked into this thread again to check or there was any recent info.

No, but I think this phenomena is happening more often then just once in a while.

Look at these screenshots I saved a few minutes ago and compare them to Moun10bikes postings above :rolleyes: First screenshot:

Mountainbike2.PNG

And the second one:

Mountainbike3.PNG

Very, very annoying :o:o

Regards,

And you say that you have cleared your browser cache, correct?

What browser are you using? That may be pertinent.

Can you perhaps, when you see this happening, right-click on one of the "scrambled" avatars, choose the "view image" option (or whatever your browser calls it), copy the resulting URL from the address bar and then paste it here together with whose avatar it was?

For example, on your posts, I get this URL for your avatar: http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/596701e7-e2e4-4475-84e0-f219cabdbd1f.jpg

While on Moun10Bike's posts, I get this one: http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/598c0637-72ea-48a5-aaac-e06b0754a595.jpg

Can you perhaps, when you see this happening, right-click on one of the "scrambled" avatars, choose the "view image" option (or whatever your browser calls it), copy the resulting URL from the address bar and then paste it here together with whose avatar it was?

For example, on your posts, I get this URL for your avatar: http://img.geocachin...219cabdbd1f.jpg

While on Moun10Bike's posts, I get this one: http://img.geocachin...06b0754a595.jpg

Good point!

DFX,

Cleared the cache of my browser (InternetExplorer8) just to be sure after opening this 'session' a few hours ago.

Just now I refreshed this page to see or there were any updates and now when I look at this page the avatar showing for Mount10bike is no longer Knowschads but now is showing 'my' avatar again, the golfball with Pocileh written in it for every posting he made in this thread.

This is the URL showing in the properties of the Avatar in each of his postings.

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/598c0637-72ea-48a5-aaac-e06b0754a595.jpg

All the other avatars seem to be okay, including mine and Knowschads.

I looked at the properties of my avatar in my postings above and they all are showing:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/596701e7-e2e4-4475-84e0-f219cabdbd1f.jpg

So the link is different but the image is exactly the same.

Maybe this info is of some help:

When I refreshed the page, at the start the locations for Moun10bikes avatars remained empty and it took about 45 seconds before the avatar (in this case 'my' avatar) was showing. During this time the browser was showing a message in the bottom line stating it was waiting for an image to be downloaded, showing the links which I was unable to copy.

FWIW, I'm on Windows 7, and the browser is IE8. The system was fully updated three days ago.

NOTE: Sorry, made a mistake here about my O/S. W7 is on my wifes computer.... <_<

The operating System on my computer is Windows Vista

Regards,

Edited by Pocileh

Immediately after my previous posting I cleared the cache of my browser again, just wanting to know how this worked out.

Went back to this page and now I see:

Mountainbike6.PNG

Knowschads avatar (in fact Moun10bikes!!) is showing under properties: http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/b7957b4c-ced3-416d-85b9-8965dc464809.jpg

My avatar (in fact Knowschads)is showing:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/596701e7-e2e4-4475-84e0-f219cabdbd1f.jpg

Regards,

So, after spending some hours asleep, a new day,fired up the computer, started up Internet Explorer, emptied the cache just to make sure, and went back to this page to see what happened in those hours.

No new postings, but yes, a new surprise. Knowschad has a new avatar, I've never seen before:

Mountainbike7.PNG

The link showing under properties for this avatar now showing for Knowschad is:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/10435aa2-3068-46c6-bbaa-d0e071c4e0c7.jpg

And Moun10bike is showing my avatar again, the link is identical to the one I posted yesterday:

Hope this is of some help. Or is Groundspeak not looking into this matter?

Regards,

Edited by Pocileh

So, after spending some hours asleep, a new day,fired up the computer, started up Internet Explorer, emptied the cache just to make sure, and went back to this page to see what happened in those hours.

No new postings, but yes, a new surprise. Knowschad has a new avatar, I've never seen before:

Mountainbike7.PNG

The link showing under properties for this avatar now showing for Knowschad is:

http://img.geocachin...0e071c4e0c7.jpg

And Moun10bike is showing my avatar again, the link is identical to the one I posted yesterday:

http://img.geocachin...06b0754a595.jpg

Hope this is of some help. Or is Groundspeak not looking into this matter?

Regards,

That is an actual new avatar for me. I changed it last night. I will be reverting to one of my regular ones soon. It didn't occur to me when I made the change that doing so might confuse this issue. Sorry.

That is an actual new avatar for me. I changed it last night. I will be reverting to one of my regular ones soon. It didn't occur to me when I made the change that doing so might confuse this issue. Sorry.

:lol::lol::lol:

Wel, I then have another one for you,screendump taken a few minutes ago after (again :(:(:( clearing the browsercache) :huh: :

Mountainbike8.PNG

in this case the link for 'moun10bike's ' avatar is:

And for Knowschad's (His new and real avatar!) it's:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/10435aa2-3068-46c6-bbaa-d0e071c4e0c7.jpg

At the same time, a bit further up the page:

Mountainbike9.PNG

In this case the link for Moun10bike is:

have fun,

Edited by Pocileh

It's not just in the forums and it's not just avatars. My avatar image has shown up amongst my TB images on my profile page, and not always in the same spot.

895a180e-8300-45cf-b969-2823905e82a0.jpg?rnd=0.2648585

OK what I inserted was a screen shot of the TB section of my profile page and it looked right in the preview. When first posted, it showed up as somebody's avatar--who knows whose anymore!!

Now it's right--who knows what it will be when you see it!!

Edited by DoubleBent

This is what I'm seeing right now:

Mountainbike10.PNG

The link related to the avatar:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/938830d2-3635-42a8-8fa7-0c6b9953ce13.jpg

Edit: After sending this posting something weird happened. As you can see from my screenshot above, the image is not what Doublebent really posted....a screenshot of the TB section in his profile.

Mountainbike11.PNG

This image showed up after I posted what I was seeing (in my first)screenshot including a wrong avatar for DoubleBent. Now his avatar is also the right one and the linkfor it was: http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/938830d2-3635-42a8-8fa7-0c6b9953ce13.jpg

Regards,

Edited by Pocileh

This is what I'm seeing right now:

Mountainbike10.PNG

The link related to the avatar:

http://img.geocachin...c6b9953ce13.jpg

Edit: After sending this posting something weird happened. As you can see from my screenshot above, the image is not what Doublebent really posted....a screenshot of the TB section in his profile.

Mountainbike11.PNG

This image showed up after I posted what I was seeing (in my first)screenshot including a wrong avatar for DoubleBent. Now his avatar is also the right one and the linkfor it was: http://img.geocachin...c6b9953ce13.jpg

Regards,

The lower image is the one that DoubleBent posted, showing his travel bug page. So, this isn't limited to avatars, then?

The lower image is the one that DoubleBent posted, showing his travel bug page. So, this isn't limited to avatars, then?

AFAIK, the only images that are popping up in unexpected places are avatars. But they pop up in non-avatar situations also.

The avatar that you (knowschad) posted is the second of the two that I saw after posting my TB paage; the first was dfx's.

Only thing I can say to it is that, if my browser tells me it's waiting for a number of images to be downloaded (can be one, can be ?? and anything inbetween) and it takes longer than a few seconds, things get scr**ed up.

From the links you can see that images often have the same link but are different.

Sometimes the pages are loading correctly, sometimes they are way off.

Refresh them and it can be the opposite.

I'm not a computernerd so I might be completely wrong here, but I think there is something going on with a database getting corrupted or something like that.

So it's just a matter of (bad) luck what is going to be showing up, the right image or not.

What I've been posting before is only a small selection of all the weird things I've seen.

From a totally correct page to a fully messed up one.

This is very very annoying, especially in cases like the last one I posted. You no longer can be sure or what you are seeing is how it is supposed to be.

And that is a situation that should be avoided.

I would like to get a some answer from Groundspeak about what is going to happen. So far I've only seen Moun10bikes answer

This is not something that is occurring globally, as this is the first I've heard of it. Also, since the forum software is developed by a third-party, I don't believe that there is much that we could do even if we were able to pinpoint the issue. That said, I definitely like to hear if others are seeing this and what might be causing it.

However this is not giving away any clue or this complaint is (already) under investigation or not.

I do not intend to be rude here so I apologize if it sounds that way but to me - and I hope it is not intended that way - that answer sounds like: 'There is a strange thing happening but there are not enough complaints, so live with it. And because someone else has been programming this, even if we found the problem, it's too much effort to solve it'.

Regards,

I don't know about "globally" but there are reports from the US, Canada and the UK at least.

And I don't know where Moun10Bike has been hanging out, but I've found forum posts from as early as Oct 19; there are at least 3 threads in the General Geocaching Topics forum.

I don't think it has anything to do with "forum software" per se.

And, all due respect Moun10Bike, but I don't think it should be up to us (users of the website) to try to figure out what might be causing it. The Groundspeak lackeys are supposed to be the experts--it should be their job.

Both this thread and the previous one were started on the day of or immediately after a site update. Both updates have involved significant changes in our image storage and handling. I'm guessing that this is occurring as a result, although a clearing of the browser cache should have cleared up the issue shortly thereafter if that were the case.

I think the bolded part may be key to this issue. It was about that time that I started seeing posts about it.

Have you guys tried other browsers yet? Are you also using IE, Doublebent? (sorry if you've already said so)

I as well have noticed this issue. I have almost contacted another member because I thought they had taken my avatar. As you can see I is one of a kind.

I am running Windows 7 X64 with Chrome as a browser. This is a clean install as of three weeks ago, so I know the cache has been cleared.

I think the bolded part may be key to this issue. It was about that time that I started seeing posts about it.

Have you guys tried other browsers yet? Are you also using IE, Doublebent? (sorry if you've already said so)

I was going to link MrsB's post from Oct 19, but I see she beat me to it.

I am using IE9 with Windows 7. Trying different browsers is above my pay grade.

I don't know about "globally" but there are reports from the US, Canada and the UK at least.

And I don't know where Moun10Bike has been hanging out, but I've found forum posts from as early as Oct 19; there are at least 3 threads in the General Geocaching Topics forum.

And, all due respect Moun10Bike, but I don't think it should be up to us (users of the website) to try to figure out what might be causing it. The Groundspeak lackeys are supposed to be the experts--it should be their job.

It's called troubleshooting. While there have been reports of this in the forums, I have seen no one else experiencing this issue as consistently and as persistently as Pocileh, and none of us at Groundspeak is experiencing the problem. We can't fix an issue unless we can reproduce it, so your continued help is appreciated.

It's called troubleshooting. While there have been reports of this in the forums, I have seen no one else experiencing this issue as consistently and as persistently as Pocileh, and none of us at Groundspeak is experiencing the problem. We can't fix an issue unless we can reproduce it, so your continued help is appreciated.

OK, deal. I'll post everytime I see the problem. btw, I have not seen any instances today.

Hi all,

allthough I was a bit frustrated yesterday (now it's a new, sunny day over here <_< ) I think the only way to get rid of this annoying problem is to contribute as much info as possible.

So here's my todays contribution.

After clearing the browsercache I went back to this thread to find out about the newest contributions.

A total of 34 contributions...three added while I was sound asleep :anibad:

This is the screenshot of the last two postings, made by Downy288 and Knowschad.

Mountainbike14.PNG

I don't know or Downeys avatar is what it's supposed to be as I don't know his avatar, but I'm quite sure the picture in his posting is not what it's supposed to be.

The link for his avatar is:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/bad7a078-aaf5-4f46-8125-4a1762312782.jpg

For the picture in his posting it's:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/75b60e43-d962-4309-8664-a1dfbf847911.jpg?rnd=0.7532718

The link for 'Knowchads' avatar (actually mine) is:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/b7957b4c-ced3-416d-85b9-8965dc464809.jpg

The link for the picture shown in the quote is identical to the one in Downys posting:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/75b60e43-d962-4309-8664-a1dfbf847911.jpg?rnd=0.7532718

Looking at the avatars in all the 34 postings above, 16 of them were showing a wrong avatar.

Note: My writing and expression may be a 'bit' :anibad: clumsy here and there, but English is not my native language (I'm Dutch), so if I'm writing things that may sound harsh or rude to you, that really is not my intention.

Have fun,

Edited by Pocileh

And this is my screendump of the same area I'm showing in my previous posting but after having posted.

Mountainbike15.PNG

The link for Downys avatar:

For the image in his posting:

Knowschad:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/b7957b4c-ced3-416d-85b9-8965dc464809.jpg

Image in the quoted area in his posting:

Hope all this is of some help, wished more members were contributing. I've posted about this in the Dutch forum. Got only one response and that one said more ore less: "Not interested in responding because there are more matters going on and Groundspeak is not undertaking any action at all, so why bother".

Doesn't sound good! :(:(

Regards,

After having posted my two previous postings, I think I now know how Downy228's posting should look like:

Mountainbike16.PNG

Link for his Avatar:

Link for the image in his posting:

Regards,

Edited by Pocileh

Well, from all this it seems that the forum software is sending out the correct URLs for the avatars, but somehow the wrong image ends up being displayed. Meaning that either the server is handing out the wrong images, or the browser gets confused somehow, or something like a transparent proxy is messing with the data somewhere on the way.

Just a note in case someone is looks into this trying to solve the matter:

Don't know or it's of any importance and I've mentioned it before, but in case it's missed....

If I load a page and it loads in a flash, the page will be without any faults.

But sometimes it takes ages (1 minute, 2 minutes (?)) for the page to load completely. What happens then is that there are open spaces were images are supposed to be and the browser is telling there are one or more images to be loaded and is waiting for them to be downloaded.

Then, once these images are loaded, they generally are the wrong images.

This can happen with the browsercache cleared before opening the page as well without having cleared the cache.

Edit:

This is how the avatar of Ambient Skater is showing after I posted this message for the first time (before this edit):

Mountainbike17.PNG

The Link: http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/bbae6b76-decc-4eee-922c-049d9f206c0c.jpg

Regards,

Edited by Pocileh

Don't know or it's of any importance and I've mentioned it before, but in case it's missed....

But sometimes it takes ages (1 minute, 2 minutes (?)) for the page to load completely. What happens then is that there are open spaces were images are supposed to be and the browser is telling there are one or more images to be loaded and is waiting for them to be downloaded.

This can happen with the browsercache cleared before opening the page as well without having cleared the cache.

Edit:

This is how the avatar of Ambient Skater is showing after I posted this message for the first time (before this edit):

Mountainbike17.PNG

The Link: http://img.geocachin...49d9f206c0c.jpg

Regards,

This screenshot shows an issue that appears to me to be a failure on your system. Cache pages are not served up as images on the site, yet that (a snapshot of logs) is what you are seeing in place of the avatar in that shot.

Edit:

Mountainbike17.PNG

The Link: http://img.geocachin...49d9f206c0c.jpg

Regards,

This screenshot shows an issue that appears to me to be a failure on your system. Cache pages are not served up as images on the site, yet that (a snapshot of logs) is what you are seeing in place of the avatar in that shot.

NO, his avatar is showing one of the many photo's linked to on this page. This one

NO, his avatar is showing one of the many photo's linked to on this page. This one

What I'm getting at is that is not an example of a simple mix-up of avatar images; rather, various images displayed on the same page are showing up in the wrong spot. In other words, it is not likely due to an image server error on our end, but something wrong in the browser on the client end.

You know, I almost think GS implemented a cache on the image server and something is wrong with the hash code. Either certain userID's don't hash correctly, or the LRU code is wrong and it is purging the wrong images. And throw a couple servers in the mix with different code/settings and you have a real bear to debug. So far I have not seen the problem (knocking on wood), so it could be user ID's that triggers the problem. I expect it is going to be a long cold winter. I remember a buddy at work spent nearly a year tracking down a bug that was random and not easily repeatable. It was eventually tracked down to a compiler option and to make things interesting not all patches had the problem.

It might help if Moun10bike would list some things that should be done or looked at when the problem pops up.

If it matters I run Win7 64 bit Home premium and FF 8.0 release update.

Let's try to eliminate speculation. If you have experienced the issue, by all means speak up, otherwise let's stay focused on the facts.

In general, I'd have to agree that speculation can only confuse the issue, but in jholly's case, I think you have have received a very good educated guess from somebody in the industry, and I hope, regardless of what you say here in public, that in private you are following up that lead. It should be an easy matter for one of your infrastructure guys to say whether or not that is even worth following up. My 2 cents.