Anyone up for a group outing

I'd hate to talk about heading out and attempting the power trail on an event cache page as that's not in keeping with events. However I have setup an event right by the start of the power trail for anyone who wishes to join us on 21st Dec. The event is "Breakfast meet at Heybridge Basin" is for breakfast of course and then we are heading upstream.

Please join us and/or pass on to others who be intersted.

I'd hate to talk about heading out and attempting the power trail on an event cache page as that's not in keeping with events. However I have setup an event right by the start of the power trail for anyone who wishes to join us on 21st Dec. The event is "Breakfast meet at Heybridge Basin" is for breakfast of course and then we are heading upstream.

Please join us and/or pass on to others who be intersted.

How far upstream? All the way to mid-Chelmsford? I've been thinking of how to do this series - it's roughly 12 miles, which is at the upper limit of what I can walk - the question in my mind, is how to get back to the start. Possibilities include: use two cars, and leave a car at the far end; drop a bike at the far end; public transport (dodgy, because the arrival time at the end of the series is unpredictable); persuade a local geocacher to ferry me.

Using the bike method; you could either bike along the canal (towpaths are usually good for biking), or walk along the canal and bike back. If biking back, I'd go by road, because the return journey is likely to be in the dark, and with my propensity for falling off (and maybe into a canal) it might be safer to bike back along the minor roads that my map tells me will get me there.

By the way, it's logistics questions like this, that make a series like the Essex more interesting.

My main thought so far, is drop a bike at one end, park at the other, walk along the canal then bike back to the car via roads.

Thoughts do include two cars, or a taxi back due to parking costs in Chemlsford.

We had thought of cycling along the tow path and that would be fun. Again possibly two cars to get all the bikes down there and then we can leave the bikes chained up while the cars are rearranged. I hear that the tow paths are a little muddy at the moment but certainly an option.

If cycling back I too would probably want to use the local roads as should be a little smoother. And it would seem shorter. The walk is advertised as 14 miles and I very roughly worked it out as 12.5 to 15.5 miles plus a small loop towards the end that might be rude to avoid. The road back according to google is 13 miles.

Here is a list of all cachesalong the route and not just the 104 of the series. As the good doc points out, it is currently disabled so I will update here if I hear it's activated. Though of course the event will still be going ahead regardless.

If you want the two car option availability then use the Sandon Park & Ride (£2 last time I used it)

Of course you'll need a ticket per traveller but the P+R bus will take you to the centre of town and just a little walk through the Meadows Shopping Centre and you're at the Chelmsford terminus of the CBN.

Of course you wont be able to take bikes on the bus.

Thoughts do include two cars, or a taxi back due to parking costs in Chemlsford.

We had thought of cycling along the tow path and that would be fun. Again possibly two cars to get all the bikes down there and then we can leave the bikes chained up while the cars are rearranged. I hear that the tow paths are a little muddy at the moment but certainly an option.

If cycling back I too would probably want to use the local roads as should be a little smoother. And it would seem shorter. The walk is advertised as 14 miles and I very roughly worked it out as 12.5 to 15.5 miles plus a small loop towards the end that might be rude to avoid. The road back according to google is 13 miles.

Here is a list of all cachesalong the route and not just the 104 of the series. As the good doc points out, it is currently disabled so I will update here if I hear it's activated. Though of course the event will still be going ahead regardless.

With the density of caches along that route, I'm not sure that bikes are actually an advantage for the actual caching. Stopping, dismounting, leaning the bikes, starting off again. Plus if it's very muddy, wheeling over bad stretches. Yes, I measured the road back as being about 20 km, 12 miles. So, maybe around 10 hours caching, then 1 1/2 hours biking back in the dark. Sounds feasible.

I hope any problems are sorted and it's reactivated.

With the density of caches along that route, I'm not sure that bikes are actually an advantage for the actual caching. Stopping, dismounting, leaning the bikes, starting off again. Plus if it's very muddy, wheeling over bad stretches. Yes, I measured the road back as being about 20 km, 12 miles. So, maybe around 10 hours caching, then 1 1/2 hours biking back in the dark. Sounds feasible.

I hope any problems are sorted and it's reactivated.

A hour and a half to cycle 12 miles... :huh: Do you always ride with your back brake jammed on? :lol:

A hour and a half to cycle 12 miles... :huh: Do you always ride with your back brake jammed on? :lol:

Well it will be cycling over the second highest point in Essex so that's quite a steep climb to 109m asl. Certainly not a cycle I'd like to do in the dark.

The no 31 bus is only 44 mins and takes you almost door to door!

I like the sound of the 31 bus. Will have to look for a time table.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/essex/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?day=1&source_id=2&service=31/31B/31C/31D/31X&routeid=3146161&operator=8&source=sp

Assuming Mon-Fri, and assuming parking in Maldon

Chelmsford Bus Station 1910 1940 2010 2110 2215 2315 gets you to Maldon Milton Road in 38 mins or Maldon All Saints Church in 33 mins.

Assuming Mon-Fri, and assuming parking in Maldon

Chelmsford Bus Station 1910 1940 2010 2110 2215 2315 gets you to Maldon Milton Road in 38 mins or Maldon All Saints Church in 33 mins.

In which case I think the two car policy is possibly more acceptable.

Free car parking at Heybridge Basin and £2.50 per traveller per day at Sandon Park & Ride.

There is a cycle route from almost the P&R to the navigation path and from memory the CBN towpath from A12 to Chelmsford basin is not that bad, certainly not as boggy as the section around Ulting Lock to Heybridge.

1323522116[/url]' post='4916846']
1323507466[/url]' post='4916796']

Why not cycle it and only pick up every other cache on the way out, then the skipped ones on the way ack?

Jon

I've been told by a local that the track is not great for biking.

What about skipping? laughing.gif

Jon

If I were to try to skip along a tow path, I'd fall into the canal within the first half mile. Still, the skipping rope would be useful for helping me to get out again.

1323522116[/url]' post='4916846']
1323507466[/url]' post='4916796']

Why not cycle it and only pick up every other cache on the way out, then the skipped ones on the way ack?

Jon

I've been told by a local that the track is not great for biking.

What about skipping? laughing.gif

Jon

And make sure you use both your arms together at the same time to give you the best projection

If I were to try to skip along a tow path, I'd fall into the canal within the first half mile. Still, the skipping rope would be useful for helping me to get out again.

Based on some of your past logs I'd say that skipping has to be the way to go. Don't hurt yourself, just write another funny log for us all to enjoy reading :)

Based on some of your past logs I'd say that skipping has to be the way to go. Don't hurt yourself, just write another funny log for us all to enjoy reading :)

Well ... some of us involved in this group outing have suggested that, as it'll be Dec 21st, we do this in Xmas-themed (or whatever nearby festival floats your boat) fancy dress. I, for one, have already planned my get-up. So just seeing us lot mincing along the tow path should be enough to make several bargees laugh so much they fall in.

... pictures will be taken ...

Can 90% of the series being disabled still warrant the walk?

Or does going against GC.com not matter one jot. (I'm always up for ignoring these dudes......but?)

I'll watch and see. I'll ignore any SXparks comments as being a newbie and also a grass is not for me.

It's not about the numbers. Although I would hope that the cache's status will be sorted out in the next ten days.

A dozen cachers wearing Christmas-themed fancy dress mincing along a tow path for 14 miles, then finding some way to get back to where they started. You couldn't make it up.

This outing looks to me like it'll be A) hugely entertaining, B) a major adventure and C) exhausting. I expect to be prostrate for at least two days afterwards, with aches and pains running into Christmas day. If I can also do 100-odd logs on this web site, thats a bonus; the enjoyment will be in doing the trail in the company of several other lunatics.

Lunatics-R-US ordered. Fancy dress a must me feels, well for a walk anyway. I wonder if Geolympix Geoff will show up???

Really looking forward to this impromptu event and seeing all those not seen in a while.

Seems like there are a few options for the return leg that I don't think the bus, taxi or bike will be needed. Thanks JolyJax for the offer, what a great idea. Nearer the time we can sort the shuttle runs out so as those who want to get to the Breakfast bash from Chemlsford can get a lift and then vice versa.

P.S. As for the CBN series, I do hope it's back live, especially after the recentlog on #61. But that's a different thread I do believe.

What I'd really like to know is what is the breakfast that's promised? B) I may make an appearance as I have some puzzle caches to do in that area but not taking on the walk just yet.

Now there's a question.

I had thought of bringing a large gas stove and frying pan and a tray of eggs to make egg banjosbut I'm not convinced on time. So in the end of opted for the easy option and would suggest the local tea room called "the lock". Not been there before but they do breakfast for those who want to buy food or drink. They even sent me a menu last night for those who want to plan in advance.

c00f7ad7-453c-4520-9d04-82dfaecc5d77.jpg?rnd=0.2208338

Don't forget to save room for cake when you get to Papermill Lock halfway along the trail. Highly recommended.

But don't walk too slow as it shuts at 4.30 pm atm.

Do you have a cache number for that ;-)

I'm hoping we will have done half way by four pm. 7 miles at 3 to 4 miles per hour is roughly 2 hours, plus time for each of the 50 caches, let's say 2 minutes. Perfect, half way should be lunch time. We better be quick at each cache.

Don't forget to save room for cake when you get to Papermill Lock halfway along the trail. Highly recommended.

But don't walk too slow as it shuts at 4.30 pm atm.

Do you have a cache number for that ;-)

I'm hoping we will have done half way by four pm. 7 miles at 3 to 4 miles per hour is roughly 2 hours, plus time for each of the 50 caches, let's say 2 minutes. Perfect, half way should be lunch time. We better be quick at each cache.

My speed is more like 2 mph :-( But the thought of cake will help.

My speed is more like 2 mph :-( But the thought of cake will help.

Carrot cake by any chance?

Well I'd rather we got to the finish than try and rush.

Any sort of cake. But let's hope for Christmas Pudding.

I'm glad to hear they've all been re-enabled. It means that as well as getting exhausted, backache, leg pain and the possibility of slipping from over-tiredness and falling in the water, I will also get to log a few caches!

In addition to the usual caching kit - three pair gloves, three jumpers and coat, hat and flying helmet, head torch, extra batteries for everything, first aid kit, fancy dress and a considerable quantity of food. I'm ready to do the longest walk on the shortest day - the Essex Death March!

Urggghhhh...

A great outing, my thighs might never talk to me again.

We arrived at the event, and had an excellent breakfast at the local cafe, who were very surprised at the number of people (20-ish) who turned up. Then the early group set off, and then the late group, 11 of us, followed half an hour later. That was good - a single big group would have been too big.

It was then cache cache cache cache ... until number 61, which was at the cafe, where we all sat down and had various edibles. Then cache cache cache cache. Round about number 75, I was running out of steam, which was about what I'd expected, but there were still 30 more to do. After that, it got progressively more difficult for me, until by the time we reached number 104, I could barely stagger along.

The injury tally was, jollyjax fell badly once, Heffalump fell into brambles (ouch ouch ouch), and I fell onto my bum, and bounced straight up. The track was very slippery and muddy, although I thought that most of it would be bikable even in the condition it was in today. In summer, it would be a dream for biking.

Thanks a lot to Mel and Ray for meeting us at the start with coffee and cakes, and for meeting us at the other end with cars, thus making it easy to get back to the start. And then we had another coffee-and-cakes with Mel and Ray, plus (in my case, as I wasn't driving) quite a lot of metal-bijou's Sloe Gin (also thanks for organising it), which revived me enough to make it possible for me to get into the car so I could be driven home.

And the fun of the day wasn't in the caches, which were pretty ordinary looked at individually, but in the overall experience, which will take me at least three days to recover from.

Thanks to metal bijou for getting it organised.

I had been watching this thread with interest.

I was due to work today and wondered whether once the ways of returning to the start had been discussed should I do it on my own.

Luckily my day off changed to suit other needs of the company, such that I could join the main walk party. It couldn't have been a better day.

Sorry you missed today's opportunity, it was an early Christmas Cracker.

It was a good spread of ages, I was the old slow one, right down to the exuberance of the boys who made the day a joy. Is the echo of "STICKERS" still resounding both along the water and in our heads.

Jack and Jill were a bit slow in fetching that pail of water but at least it wasn't a Lisa bucket. :rolleyes:

Many thanks to James for extending the invite and organising it so well and to Mel & Ray for the very kind hospitality of the food and taxi service.

A great day which will put me in good spirits for working right through the Christmas period.

An excellent day. :D :D :D

I thought I was the slow one, Colin? As I remember, you were out in front a lot of the way.

As others have said, an excellent day with excellent company. Melray have put a lot of work into this. The hides, due to the nature of this series, were easy, but still a lot of effort had gone into the hides themselves. Highly recommended. Warning: you may suffer the following day (I currently don't think I can get down the stairs!)