Long lost cache in Runnymede discovered

BeadyStu

We found the cache in the attached picture within 20 meters of The Big Charter (GCGDJG) N 51° 26.332 W 000° 33.824 in Runnymede. The cache not resemble any of the pictures or logs of GCGDJG. The identifiable items in the cache were candles, condoms and a very rotted note book. Unfortunatly I cannot search archived caches in the area and it does not exist on opencaching.

I intend to dispose of it. Does anyone know what it is or who owns it?

oldcache.jpg

If it was anywhere near :

N 51° 26.606 W 000° 34.086

I have a good idea as to what it could be.......GC1CD7, last found in June 2009 but seemingly in good condition then.

Fraid not, it is within 20 meters of the co-ordinates in my first post.

Last year I found a multi (GC1A9TR) in exactly the same place as GC1CD7 with the same name. It was also archived and moved to opencaching.org by the owner.

I have a good idea as to what it could be.......GC1CD7, last found in June 2009 but seemingly in good condition then.

Last year I found a multi (GC1A9TR) in exactly the same place as GC1CD7 with the same name. It was also archived and moved to opencaching.org by the owner.

I'm sure you are correct that the one you found is not Robin's cache, which started off at the top of the hill but was moved onto NaviCaching and shifted some distance down the hill more than 10 years ago. To the best of my knowlege Robin's NaviCache is still in place.

And I'm also sure it's not my cache, which is now listed on opencaching.org.uk and was in good condition on my last maintenance visit a few weeks ago. When I placed my cache I knew nothing about Robin's previous occupation of the site, as it predated my entry into caching by 6 years! I did discover the coincidence when I started NaviCaching and found Robin's cache in its new location.

The Big Charter was the very first cache we found, and "for old times sake" we revisited it in May of this year when nearby. If you look back at the logs you will see that the cache "went missing" in April 2004 and was replaced in "a slightly different location". I suspect what you found was the original cache.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

I'm sure you are correct that the one you found is not Robin's cache, which started off at the top of the hill but was moved onto NaviCaching and shifted some distance down the hill more than 10 years ago. To the best of my knowlege Robin's NaviCache is still in place.

And I'm also sure it's not my cache, which is now listed on opencaching.org.uk and was in good condition on my last maintenance visit a few weeks ago. When I placed my cache I knew nothing about Robin's previous occupation of the site, as it predated my entry into caching by 6 years! I did discover the coincidence when I started NaviCaching and found Robin's cache in its new location.

The Big Charter was the very first cache we found, and "for old times sake" we revisited it in May of this year when nearby. If you look back at the logs you will see that the cache "went missing" in April 2004 and was replaced in "a slightly different location". I suspect what you found was the original cache.

Rgds, Andy

I'm not convinced. If you read the log a bit more closely kennamatic did not replace or move it before it began being found again. Also the photos taken back in 2003 resemble the cache which I found earlier this year and not the rotten clip lock in the photo.

I believe you might have found the remains of a unpblished cache, the CO who has never logged in since the cache was submitted for review. That was over 15 months ago.

A possible conformation of this is the cache name

Coopers Hill XXX

and the first line of the description "Not one for the kids... Over 16s only." which would seem to fit in with the contents you found.

with a hint of "Look under the first step of the uphill side of the bridge"

The coordinates placing it well within 20m of The Big Charter (GCGDJG)

Deci

I believe you might have found the remains of a unpblished cache, the CO who has never logged in since the cache was submitted for review. That was over 15 months ago.

Coopers Hill XXX

and the first line of the description "Not one for the kids... Over 16s only." which would seem to fit in with the contents you found.

Deci

Thats definatly sounds like it. Are you able to e-mail the owner for permission to remove it?

Coopers Hill XXX

Deci

I've sent a email to the CO, I will advise of any reply

Deci

Thats definatly sounds like it. Are you able to e-mail the owner for permission to remove it?

I would suggest that if the owner has any sentimental attachment to the plastic box and its rotten contents they would have been out to retrieve it many months ago. Why not recycle it as a new cache somewhere nice :D

You would be very welcome to come and muggle my big green cache anytime. Pm me for coordinates. You will need to be quick though. Runnymede council are speed caching very early tomorrow morning with their big noisy truck. :)

Ah - so now it's an illicit Travelling Cache as well, to add to its sins! It surely has to win the award for the worst cache of all time?

Edited by Happy Humphrey