Anyone else think we need Event specific attributes?

Coldgears

I have a notification set for all new events published within 80 miles.

I get about 7-10 events published a week on average within 80 miles during the summer, and about 4-7 a week in the winter.

I check each page for a geocoin. If there is an event within 80 miles that has an event specific geocoin I am there. That is the number 1 criteria.

I break it down into sections for events.

1 - 10 miles

I am 100% there unless it is snowing or raining.

10 - 25

I will probably be there, assuming it has something more than (Lets go eat some ice-cream or pizza...) Anything more, even if small.

25 - 50

Must be pretty spectacular, a raffle, caches to find, big event, BBQ. The works.

50 - 80

Best better have a geocoin.

The issue is, there is no way to do a simple notification for these, I have to physically check them myself. Which is quite tedious during the summer months when I get 1 - 2 new ones published a day.

I mostly just want the geocoin one. Caches with geocoins or within 10 miles are the only events I go to, even if I didn't feel like doing an event that weekend.

I think we need attributes like this.

unique trackable

cache hunt

geotalk

trackable trading

raffle

flashmob

food included (I've been to quiet a few events at a pavillion where food was not provided)

And much more.

If I am feeling the strain of checking the 7 - 10 events a week, can you imagine the strain in an event prolific area?

I sure can't!

Anyone agree this is needed before I put this on the feedback?

Any suggestions?

no, we don't and it ain't going to work because the geocoins and TB's are mostly dropped just before the event and if they are "unique" they most likely are private collection items for discovery only

how is the CO supposed to know what your definition of "unique" is? :blink:

assuming you want to move the said unique coin, i don't supposed you want to drive 130kms just to discover a coin

Edited by t4e

no, we don't and it ain't going to work because the geocoins and TB's are mostly dropped just before the event and most likely are private collection items for discovery only

how is the CO supposed to know what your definition of "unique" is? :blink:

assuming you want to move the said unique coin, i don't supposed you want to drive 130kms just to discover a coin

To purchase an event specific coin.

A coin only available at the event, usually relating to the event.

These show up about once a week.

This week is lame for them though, one isn't trackable, and the other is a pathtag.

Usually though, there's an event with a geocoin every two weeks or so within 80 miles.

but this just sounds like too much complication for a simple thing to me.

I disagree.

I have notifications for caches within 80 miles that are night caches, I have one set for high terrain/difficulty, one set for abandoned structures, one for private residence, one for team work required.

All these caches are usually too far, I would never usually go past 40 miles to a cache. I am willing to go to 80 if it interests me.

If I can set notifications based on what I like in a geocache.

Why can I not do this for an event?

Our County Tourism has a event every year during our Clinch Mountain Music Festival. They have a event trackable geocoin and a different custom one of those other trackables that we can't discuss on this site every year. :anitongue: I like to collect as many of those event geocoins as I can, even events that I don't attend :laughing: I always "drop" some trackables in event inventorys that I attend. Heck, I have trackables for dipping in EarthCaches, Found it, DNF, ect. I just love minted objects, trackable or not. :D

To purchase an event specific coin.

A coin only available at the event, usually relating to the event.

These show up about once a week.

This week is lame for them though, one isn't trackable, and the other is a pathtag.

Usually though, there's an event with a geocoin every two weeks or so within 80 miles.

Wow... you must live in coin central. I can't think of more than 2-3 events in the last 2 years that had even specific geocoins for sale at them.

No. I think most of the existing attributes can be applied to events and if I want to know if there is a gecoin minted for the event I can check the page.

By the way does this mean you are going to Caching Through the Snow 8 on Sunday? There is a coin (and t-shirt too) and I think it's within your 80 mile radius.

Edited by briansnat

Wait so you have monthly events with custom Geocoins. The only events I've seen with coins around these parts are mega events (and the 10/10/10 11/11/11 which I don't really count). I'm sure some people would love to have the problem of living in such an active geocaching community.

As for me I'm one of a few in my area that gets around to various groups events. The notification radius is usually to small so I have to rely on the newsletter/newest in each state to scout out potential events.

FWIW, I've found the interest in Geocoins to completely dwindled. At least to what it used to be,

If I were you, since your getting all of the publishing notices for events, I would contact the host as ask him/her if there will be a coin. Perhaps your inquiry will pursued someone who is on the fence.

I host a lot of events in the Central Jersey Area and haven't seen much demand for Geocoins. But, I'd consider producing coins if I knew there was interest. Especially for something like our annual Jan 1st BBQ event. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for 2013 .

I have notifications for caches within 80 miles that are night caches, I have one set for high terrain/difficulty, one set for abandoned structures, one for private residence, one for team work required.

All these caches are usually too far, I would never usually go past 40 miles to a cache. I am willing to go to 80 if it interests me.

If I can set notifications based on what I like in a geocache.

Why can I not do this for an event?

You can. You can be notified about night events, high-terrain and high-difficulty events, events held in abandoned structures or private residences, events where teamwork is required, etc.

The problem is that we already have so many attributes that some cache owners don't bother to browse through them and add them to their listing pages. Creating more attributes is going to compound that problem. I like attributes. I just think we need to be selective about which ones get added to the list.

Personally, I think the need to read 1 or 2 event listings a day isn't enough of a problem to warrant adding more attributes. This is especially true since you probably are going to have to read the listings anyway to determine if the "Food Included" event has something more than ice cream or pizza, a BBQ, how many people are likely to attend, etc.

Sorry, I can't relate to your perceived problems. Maybe you have your event radius set too high or your expectations set too low. I appreciate that you are thinking about improving things, but this just sounds like too much complication for a simple thing to me.

As a frequent event attendee and semi-frequent host, I think the kid is really onto something.

A potluck icon would be great just off the top of my head.

Sorry, I can't relate to your perceived problems. Maybe you have your event radius set too high or your expectations set too low. I appreciate that you are thinking about improving things, but this just sounds like too much complication for a simple thing to me.

As a frequent event attendee and semi-frequent host, I think the kid is really onto something.

Perhaps a Snoogans Will Be Present attribute, too.

Perhaps a Snoogans Will Be Present attribute, too.

Nah. That's what the "will attend" log is for. My trumpeters, red carpet unrollers, and sedan chair bearers announce my presence at the actual event. :)

sedan%2Bchair%2Bsml.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Got me curious there. Within 80 miles of his location, I get 27 events, 14 of which have already happened (some as far back as September or October). 7 future events are in December, 3 in January and 3 in February. Yeah I can see it now, hella tedious checking all of those hundreds of listings.

By the way does this mean you are going to Caching Through the Snow 8 on Sunday? There is a coin (and t-shirt too) and I think it's within your 80 mile radius.

Sadly, no. I e-mailed the guy a couple days ago, and he said the coin is not trackable.

It's a 2 hour ride, and not really worth it.

How about if the attributes were like for events that are:

Outdoor

Indoor

Parking fee or Entrance fee

BBQ

Pot Luck

BYOF (by your own food)

Raffle

Flash Mob

Games

+ (amount expected)

Caching

Kid Friendly

Trackable exchange

There already are attributes for "Parking/entrance fee" and "Kid friendly."

Perhaps we could replace those with

• Ice cream served
  • Pizza served
  • Event-specific trackable coin available

to help Coldgears with his automated decision making.

To help others, why don't we also add:

• Sandwiches served
  • Cookies served
  • Potato salad served
  • Soda pop served
  • Vegetarian options
  • Vegan options
  • Kosher options
  • Event-specific non-trackable coin available

And let's break out the attendance numbers:

• >5 expected
  • >10 expected
  • >25 expected
  • >50 expected
  • >100 expected
  • >250 expected
  • >500 expected

Or, people could take two minutes to read the event listing, which most probably will want to do anyway before making a decision.

Outdoor

Indoor

BBQ

Pot Luck

BYOF (by your own food)

Raffle

Flash Mob

Games

+ (amount expected)

Caching

Kid Friendly

Trackable exchange

There already are attributes for "Parking/entrance fee" and "Kid friendly."

Perhaps we could replace those with

• Ice cream served
  • Pizza served
  • Event-specific trackable coin available

to help Coldgears with his automated decision making.

To help others, why don't we also add:

• Sandwiches served
  • Cookies served
  • Potato salad served
  • Soda pop served
  • Vegetarian options
  • Vegan options
  • Kosher options
  • Event-specific non-trackable coin available

And let's break out the attendance numbers:

• >5 expected
  • >10 expected
  • >25 expected
  • >50 expected
  • >100 expected
  • >250 expected
  • >500 expected

Or, people could take two minutes to read the event listing, which most probably will want to do anyway before making a decision.

You could make the same argument with geocaches. 5 found 10 found ect. Food could be replaced with "golf ball swag", "Dollar store swag"

Starting to see how ridiculus your arguement is?

You could make the same argument with geocaches. 5 found 10 found ect. Food could be replaced with "golf ball swag", "Dollar store swag"

Starting to see how ridiculus your arguement is?

Yes, I do. It was intended to be ridiculous. That was the point I was making. I think we should be very selective about adding new attributes because some people already are overwhelmed by the current list and don't bother adding them in their cache listings. Increasing the number of attributes could make this problem worse.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Yes, I do. It was intended to be ridiculous. That was the point I was making. I think we should be very selective about adding new attributes because some people already are overwhelmed by the current list and don't bother adding them in their cache listings. Increasing the number of attributes could make this problem worse.

Why would "geotalk" or "trackable swap" ever be on a cache listing? These attributes are only going to be on events... If people choose not to put these attributes on their events, I don't see the problem. It's better than no attributes at all.

Can't we just read the event page to find out what's happening? We don't really need to overthink the simple things in life, do we? If all you're interested in is the geocoin, and not in the event, skip the event and visit the coin forums. There are geocoins offered there all the time, and you won't have to go to a "lame" coinless event.

Sadly, no. I e-mailed the guy a couple days ago, and he said the coin is not trackable.

It's a 2 hour ride, and not really worth it.

And, besides, there are bears near Sparta. Guess I won't go either. Means I don't have to drag my collection of GeoCoins with me! (Actually, I will be elsewhere this weekend anyway.)

Why would "geotalk" or "trackable swap" ever be on a cache listing? These attributes are only going to be on events... If people choose not to put these attributes on their events, I don't see the problem. It's better than no attributes at all.

The problem is that, if there are too many attributes, fewer people will bother to add them to their event listings. If too few people bother to add attributes to their event listings, then you'll have to either read all the listings or risk missing an interesting event.

Outdoor

Indoor

BBQ

Pot Luck

BYOF (by your own food)

Raffle

Flash Mob

Games

+ (amount expected)

Caching

Kid Friendly

Trackable exchange

Yes. That was the entire point of this thread...

You seriously would filter events based on whether or not they had a pot luck, a raffle, or games?

I can see the use for certain event-only attributes. It wouldn't bother me if they were available and I would probably use them.