suspecious person

Schime

hello i just created account coz im new here ,

My first expirience

today a friend of me told me about Geocaching ..

ok ill try , just a hour before (21:00h) i was waiting for my mother on trainstation...

i get my phone and was on geocaching web... search for my city (Rijeka/Croatia) and puff... there is one location in front of me ...,

the old steamlocomotive (1914) ok till waithing my mother i was searching around locomotive but i did not found coz its to dark and cellphone light does not help me mouch...

after 10 minutes my mother call me on and say where r u im waiting, ok i say im in a fev second there (25m away, i already see my mom)

and in momment i approach my mother waiting by my car, 3 young guys in civilian clotes run on me showing police badges asking me for personal documents...

ohh s*** ..i dont have it any of them...

oohh boy...im in troubble ... do u take drugs, any medics? did u drink? where r your documents what do u doing here? and after 15 minutes fusillade with questions i explain them about geocaching showing website on cellphone

finaly they let me go...

damit.. was really shocked about speed of their action

yeah but today was my first cache :)

and for sure i will get them...

but on the location list is a question mark .. what does that mean

I means it is a puzzle cache. You have to solve the puzzle to get the actual location. It also means the cache is not at the location listed on the cache page.

Check the name of the puzzle cache on the website and find out what you need to do in order to get the real coordinates. The coordinates given for a puzzle cache rarely lead to it, but it is mentioned whether they are in any part of the treasure hunt. They do mark the area near the cache, but do not expect that you would find the cache just by searching around.

Too bad you got questioned... that has never happened to me so far. I once spotted a security guard on patrol when I was searching an urban cache but I decided to loll around until he was gone and then went back to searching the cache.

But whatever you do, please maintain a good partnership with the police. They are, after all, only doing their job.

Edited by Manakala

You're not a real geocacher until you've been questioned by the police. We've been stopped 3 times this year ourselves. You just decided to start in style.

Welcome to the game!

Hmmm, 10 plus years at this and over a thousand cache hunts and I've yet to be questioned by the police for geocaching.

Not that it will never happen, but I guess it all matters where you geocache. If you are caching in urban areas I suspect it's a pretty common occurrence. I don't run into many cops in the woods.

...but on the location list is a question mark .. what does that mean

That usually means that there is no cache there and the coordinates are just a "placeholder". The actual cache is most likely within

about 3 kilometers from that location. The cache page should have instructions about how to figure out the actual location.

Edited by briansnat

yeah but today was my first cache :)

and for sure i will get them...

but on the location list is a question mark .. what does that mean

I means it is a puzzle cache. You have to solve the puzzle to get the actual location. It also means the cache is not at the location listed on the cache page.

From what I could tell from the page listing this doesn't look like a typical mystery cache type. It appears that the published coordinates are just off shore near a train station. and the "mystery" is to find a nearby train engine where the cache is hidden. The listing has some spoiler photos showing exactly where the container is located but it looks like you still have to find the train engine to use the spoilers.

Like I said in another thread, the very nature of doing urban caches makes the geocacher look very suspicious. I just did a small geocache that was hid in a bush in the parking lot of a bank! It was on the back side of the bank in bushes that seperated it from another business, but still. Walking around a bank, trying to get read your GPS is an uneasy feeling. Maybe it affects me more because I am a police officer/geocacher. If I saw me in that parking lot, you can bet I would be stopping to see what I was up to!!

Hmmm, 10 plus years at this and over a thousand cache hunts and I've yet to be questioned by the police for geocaching.

Not that it will never happen, but I guess it all matters where you geocache. If you are caching in urban areas I suspect it's a pretty common occurrence. I don't run into many cops in the woods..

I've been approached a few times in remote areas. Once in the mountains too. But those were Border Patrol officers. I've been questioned by quite the variety of LEO. The Border Patrol consistently knew about geocaching whereas the police, in general, didn't.

I have hid only one so far. But I made sure I had permission from the home owner. And posted that fact. So if you go to find that one, you know that THEY know. So no problem. I think most LEO's, after you explain are understanding If they don't already know about geocaching.. A lot of them do. I haven't been questioned by anyone.. but as long as you explain the concept, I think they understand. With 911 people have become a bit over cautious.

Not that it will never happen, but I guess it all matters where you geocache. If you are caching in urban areas I suspect it's a pretty common occurrence. I don't run into many cops in the woods..

I've been approached a few times in remote areas. Once in the mountains too. But those were Border Patrol officers. I've been questioned by quite the variety of LEO. The Border Patrol consistently knew about geocaching whereas the police, in general, didn't.