Securing Garmin Montana 600

BMndFul

Anyone rig a caribiner clip for the montana similar to the oregon 450? I just order a Montana and realized I might be stuck with larger clamp based mounts vs a simple caribiner. Since I also will use the GPS in my kayak, I would prefer not to permanently make a deck mount. With the Oregon I simply made a lanyard.

Russ, the Gizzmovest is for you! It not only gives you a lanyard on the case but it allows you to use the Montana while in the case, gives you a carabiner attachment point, AND it adds enough boyancy to make it FLOAT in water. If your Kayaking, I can't think of a better solution. For the Montana they come in white, black and brown.

Here's a link:Gizzmovest for Montana

PS: I'm in no way, shape, or form afilliated with Gizzmovest or it's subsidiaries.

Edited by yogazoo

What's wrong with a lanyard on the Montana?

Ok, here is the big "Duh" moments. I the sales person at REI (where I didn't purchase), stated the montana didn't have a caribiner system (similar to the oregon). I took that to mean that there was not a way to secure it with a lanyard. I haven't received the unit yet. I guess I should have waited to have unit in hand before asking obvious questions. Thanks for the reply..... So I guess that is a big "nevermind" in my best Gilda Radner voice.

Edited by Russ!

What's wrong with a lanyard on the Montana?

Ok, here is the big "Duh" moments. I the sales person at REI (where I didn't purchase), stated the montana didn't have a caribiner system (similar to the oregon). I took that to mean that there was not a way to secure it with a lanyard. I haven't received the unit yet. I guess I should have waited to have unit in hand before asking obvious questions. Thanks for the reply..... So I guess that is a big "nevermind" in my best Gilda Radner voice.

No "nevermind" needed. There is no lanyard with the MO, and to be honest, only one place where you could even consider adding one of your own, however will most definitely break on your first outing (Very thin piece of plastic not intended for lanyard).

Even though I intend to upgrade to the 62S, I wanted to protect the MO for the time being and got the Gizmovest yogozoo mentioned in the mail today. So far, this is truly the only case/lanyard system I have seen that works well with the MO.

It is a zipper case that looks like it will protect the MO in a fall and even protect the screen to a dgree on flat to mild terrain by virtues of setting the screen "back" in the case. It is a zipper case, so comes on and off very easily. The only downside is you have to open the case to turn unit on and off, however since there is a zipper, not really a big deal.

Edited by baloo&bd

Russ, the Gizzmovest is for you! It not only gives you a lanyard on the case but it allows you to use the Montana while in the case, gives you a carabiner attachment point, AND it adds enough boyancy to make it FLOAT in water. If your Kayaking, I can't think of a better solution. For the Montana they come in white, black and brown.

Here's a link:Gizzmovest for Montana

PS: I'm in no way, shape, or form afilliated with Gizzmovest or it's subsidiaries.

Wow...that looks fantastic for my kayak. It even adds flotation. Thanks for the great advice. It's is appreciated (but in no way holds you liable :) )

No "nevermind" needed. There is no lanyard with the MO, and to be honest, only one place where you could even consider adding one of your own, however will most definitely break on your first outing (Very thin piece of plastic not intended for lanyard).

Huh?

If that strip isn't intended for a lanyard I'm not sure what it is there for. I've had mine on a lanyard and nothing has given way. At present I've got a somewhat improvised system securing my Montana to the handlebars of my bikes and use the lanyard as a line of defence in case it falls out (which it has done a couple of times, and the lanyard has caught it admirably).

I too have a Gizzmovest that I bought shortly after reading about it in one of the other Montana threads. I like what it does (protect the GPSr) while still maintaining full use of all functions. I don't open the case to turn it on and off. Instead, I push immediately below where the zipper stops (there's a little black band that prevents the zipper from going any further around the case, just like the one at the starting point of the zipper when it's open) and it depresses the button just fine. The power button doesn't touch any of the zipper since it sits below the lip of the bottom portion of the case so there's no fear of ruining the button.

I still haven't figured out the lanyard configuration that I like the best (or gives me the most secure feeling). I'd also like to hear how/if yogazoo attached a carabiner. There's a plastic clip at the end of the lanyard and then two pinch and slide clips that allow you to adjust for various sizes of arms, wrists or other items! How do some of you who own it have it set up?

I also didn't know about it being able to float!

I'd also like to hear how/if yogazoo attached a carabiner.

On the back, where the parachute cord makes an "X", I reconfigured it so that the cord goes straight through instead of making an "X". This gives me two, essentially parallel, pieces of cord that are seperated enough to keep the unit from swinging with a carbiner through both pieces. I attach the end of the cord to my pack to act as a "dummy" cord to keep me from losing it. The really great thing about this setup is that all you have to do is lift the unit to see the screen and then let it plop back down on your shoulder strap. No figiting with zippers, pulling out of and placing back in the case etc. See below.

Added: of course the picture is upside down and the carabiner would attach to your pack with the bulk of the unit hanging below.

1323232757.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

I think your solution does work very well Zork V :):) . As others have eluded to, the lanyard attachment point is sturdy, tough and can be used in this fashion. But, for the anal retentive among us who need protection and hate to get a scratch even on the casing of the unit, a case of some type is a must. I think Garmin is missing out on some $$ from a fair share of Montana owners who would purchase a silicone type covering like those sold for the Oregon and Dakota series. BUT Gizzmovest has invented a solution and for me it's a good one, plus it adds floatation.

I'd also like to hear how/if yogazoo attached a carabiner.

On the back, where the parachute cord makes an "X", I reconfigured it so that the cord goes straight through instead of making an "X". This gives me two, essentially parallel, pieces of cord that are seperated enough to keep the unit from swinging with a carbiner through both pieces. I attach the end of the cord to my pack to act as a "dummy" cord to keep me from losing it. The really great thing about this setup is that all you have to do is lift the unit to see the screen and then let it plop back down on your shoulder strap. No figiting with zippers, pulling out of and placing back in the case etc. See below.

Added: of course the picture is upside down and the carabiner would attach to your pack with the bulk of the unit hanging below.

1323232757.jpg

Looks good. Any problems with re-threading the lanyard through the slip clips?