Geocaching.com site update Dec 6th 2011

I don't like my own caches to show up as "Unfound" on my Garmin, since it really muddies up the list of unfounds. So I wrote a VB program to read the GPX PQ file and change the status of all owned caches to "Found". The program also adds my initials to the front of the cache names, and they are now easily identifiable on the GPS receiver. Works great!

When you run PQ's in the That (And) section put a tick in the box that says I don't Own. Then you will not get caches that you own appear in the PQ, I am guessing this is a lot easier than writing a VB programme.:blink: Make sure the box saying I Own does not have a tick in it as well. :)

Domo!!!

Well, as a photo-logger, I'm quite surprised that the picture pop-up window is now showing "Smaller" photos than before.

Disappointing... :(

Please put back the size it was before today's "update".

~ Dr.MORO

i don't like it either, but you can blame those that use GC.com for photo storage instead of the many external sites

Edited by t4e
i don't like it either, but you can blame those that use GC.com for photo storage instead of the many external sites

Or you can blame Groundspeak for not dealing with it effectively.

Or, we can hope it's simply a bug caused by the latest update which will get fixed when they're ready to fix it. I don't remember reading anywhere that this change was intentional. Then again, maybe 'm wrong, but I'm not prepared to point any fingers yet.

--Larry

Or, we can hope it's simply a bug caused by the latest update which will get fixed when they're ready to fix it. I don't remember reading anywhere that this change was intentional. Then again, maybe 'm wrong, but I'm not prepared to point any fingers yet.

Well, images uploaded to TB logs have been producing the "way too small" image popup for a while now. Good to see that they've made it consistent now. Not. <_<

What kind of verification is Groundspeak going to use for verifying the free memberships to law enforcement & land owners?

does the Bomb Squad fall under law enforcement? :anibad:

its a geocaching site not a photo storage site

tbh i wouldn't blame them if they capped the number of pictures you can upload to a log

Edited by t4e

OWFa1.jpg CacheBox for Android

There doesn't seem to be any mention until you try to find the app that everything related to CacheBox seems to be in German.

Cachebox is a german project but you can switch the app´s language to english, no prob.

Also, this app doesn't seem to be listed in the Droid Market yet.

That´s right, but as you already found out, you can download it at sourceforge.

... one of the Permissions it wants is "Services that cost you money - directly call phone numbers"?! I've never seen an app ask for that permission before and don't see why it would be necessary?

This is necessary to call a "telephone joker" directly from the app, although this is not implemented yet.

Don´t worry, just give it a try.

If there are any questions left, feel free to ask in the related forum, it´s german speaking, but most of us speak english as well.

CU

Toette (No developer, just a happy user)

... one of the Permissions it wants is "Services that cost you money - directly call phone numbers"?! I've never seen an app ask for that permission before and don't see why it would be necessary?
This is necessary to call a "telephone joker" directly from the app, although this is not implemented yet.
By "telephone joker" do you mean a "phone a friend"? Someone who can give you hints over the phone?

Well, images uploaded to TB logs have been producing the "way too small" image popup for a while now. Good to see that they've made it consistent now. Not. <_<

I am also having a problem - my image is resized from 595px wide to 300px wide and the EXIF tags are stripped out. [:(]

The EXIF tags are needed to solve the puzzle ....

Hope this can be fixed real soon.

Hi,

I'd like to share some thoughts on the reordering of the menu bar:

normally, when you look at software menus are ordered in a way that the most important and used features are put to the left and the less used features are put subsequently to the right. Help usually is totally on the right.

The mostly used feature for members in my point of view is play so it should be first on the left (where it was before), then it's the profile and then maybe the sort order is not that important anymore.

But you might consider to put learn (which is only needed by people completely new to Geocaching) to the right. It might be a good idea calling it something like help area or so and add links to the knowledge books and other FAQs that already exist and which are in my opinion currently hidden a little too well.

In regard of software ergonomy and to increase the intuitive use of the website you might want to stick a little more to standards.

Best regards

Atti

The mostly used feature for members in my point of view is play so it should be first on the left (where it was before), then it's the profile and then maybe the sort order is not that important anymore.

But you might consider to put learn (which is only needed by people completely new to Geocaching) to the right. It might be a good idea calling it something like help area or so and add links to the knowledge books and other FAQs that already exist and which are in my opinion currently hidden a little too well.

In regard of software ergonomy and to increase the intuitive use of the website you might want to stick a little more to standards.

Well said! Did you consider submitting this to the geocaching website suggestions forum?

By "telephone joker" do you mean a "phone a friend"? Someone who can give you hints over the phone?

Yeah, in German PAF is usually called "telephone joker" :P

Sort of. It's a service that can send info to your phone, probably by sms instead of needing a data connection, but my German is a little too weak for me to be certain. http://www.gcjoker.de/

Yeah, in German PAF is usually called "telephone joker" :P

And here I was thinking it meant someone who makes prank calls! :lol:

Sorry for not knowing this, couldn't find it in the last release notes so maybe that is the answer. Was the proximty feature added to check for nearby caches? I thought it was but can't figure out how it works. Or is it automatic when you submit a a new cache? thanks

Sorry for not knowing this, couldn't find it in the last release notes so maybe that is the answer. Was the proximty feature added to check for nearby caches? I thought it was but can't figure out how it works. Or is it automatic when you submit a a new cache? thanks

It is not here now.

What was said. I might be remembering wrong, but I think Sandy said January.

Sort of. It's a service that can send info to your phone, probably by sms instead of needing a data connection, but my German is a little too weak for me to be certain. http://www.gcjoker.de/

I don´t think, that it is intended to use a special service like GC Joker, it will just open your phonebook.

But, as i already said: This feature isn´t implemented yet and Cachebox won´t make any phonecalls at all.

I´ll ask the developers, if it is possible to temporarily remove the need of this permission.

CU

Toette

In the last release we made it possible for Basic and Premium Members to add "corrected" coordinates to Mystery and Multi-caches. Visit the cache page and click the pencil icon next to coordinates, paste your new coordinates in the field and submit. That's it! The new coordinates will be hidden from others so there is no reason to fear spoiling the final location. When you download the GPX from the cache or generate a Pocket Query your new coordinates are included.

Is there any consideration being given to adding this capability to Traditional caches? I was out the other day looking for a cache that, by general consensus, is not at the posted coordinates. Several finders have posted better coordinates (I believe they were all agreed on those) but the cache owner has kept the old, inaccurate ones, so that's what gets downloaded in the GPX file. I ended up editing the file manually in order to get the better coordinates into my GPSr.

Or is this such an infrequent occurrence that Groundspeak doesn't consider it worth adding the pencil to Traditional caches?

Patty

I am also having a problem - my image is resized from 595px wide to 300px wide and the EXIF tags are stripped out. [:(]

The EXIF tags are needed to solve the puzzle ....

The solution for you is to host the image somewhere else, where you can control exactly what is stored and served. This means not on gc.com, not on Flickr, not on any free service or any place whose primary purpose is to present photos. Your ISP may provide you with a small amount of web space; this would be a good place.

While serving your particular image exactly as-is might be reasonable, in general GS has to deal with a huge variety of images, and in the majority of cases the uploader knows little or nothing about optimizing the image for the web. And at least 99.99% of the time, sending the EXIF data to the browser is a waste of bandwidth. So I expect GS to continuing modifying images automatically.

Edward

After a recent release, I posted the custom style sheet I use to condense the logs. In the latest release, GS decided to double-space everything -- well, 1-1/2 space, but lots of wasted space. I've updated my style sheet.

This version overrides the extra spacing. It also makes text default to black instead of gray. See comments in the code for details.

With Opera, you can specify the style sheet as a site preference. In Chrome, you save it in a specific location; it applies to all sites. For the most part the names used by GS mean it will cause no conflicts on other sites. However, the code to make text default to black instead of gray will affect all sites. But if you don't like gray text on gc.com, you probably don't like it anywhere.

You can probably do this in FF and IE but I can't tell you how.

Edward

# CSS for geocaching.com

/* Make avatars on logs just totally vanish.
I don't know whether this prevents the download. */

.logOwnerAvatar {display:none !important}

/* Tighten up the spacing in the log. Readability is not
reduced at all, due to the alternating background colors
and the bold log type. */

.LogDisplayRight .LogText
  {min-height: 0    !important;
   padding-top: 0   !important;
   margin-bottom: 0 !important}

/* Try to stop the View Log from taking up a whole line
all for itself. This occasionally (perhaps 1 log in 10)
causes the View Log to overlap a bit of the log text.
If this bothers you, remove this line. The only cost of
removing it is a bit of extra space at the bottom of
most logs. */

.LogText + .AlignRight {margin-top: -20px !important}

/* I also don't care whether the logger is a premium member, and showing
that sometimes forces an extra line in the log entry, so don't show it.
This is optional and independent of the other specs. */

.logOwnerBadge {display:none !important}

/* All the smily faces in the left column confuse me because it's the same
image as for the Found It log, so don't show it. But then the counts need
to be bolder.
This is optional and independent of the other specs. */

.logOwnerStats img {display:none  !important}
.logOwnerStats {font-weight: bold !important;
               color:#000000     !important}

/* All the following adjustments to text size and color are
optional and independent of the other specs. */

/* Make the log date display larger and bolder. */

.LogDate
  {font-weight: bold    !important;
   font-size:   100%    !important;
   color:       #000000 !important}

/* Move the log date closer to the log type. */

.LogType       {width:20% !important}
.LogType + div {width:76% !important;
               text-align:left !important}

/* Well, now it's obvious that the log type is not black either. I'm a man,
I can fix that. http://emmanuelfonte.posterous.com/im-a-man-i-can-fix-that */

.LogType {color: #000000 !important}

/* and the log text too ... */

.LogText {color: black !important}

/* In Dec 2011, gc.com decided to double-space everything. Just say no. */

body {line-height:normal !important}

/* Make the text black everywhere a color isn't needed, and
especially in short and long description and hint. The fashionable
gray text now found all over the web is hard on aging eyes. */

body {color:black !important}

KD0cp.png Geocaching Live API Beta

The beta launch of the Geocaching Live API continues! This time we're pleased to announce four new partners:

xyGDN.png PocketDrake

PocketDrake is a freeware application for devices running Windows Mobile designed for paperless geocaching. The aim of the program is to provide in one place everything needed for geocaching as well as to allow simple data management through programs on the PC. It is recommended to use PocketDrake in cooperation with GeoGet, because both applications share the same database.

Well done Groundspeak! Partnering to provide service to an obsolete OS. Windows Mobile is SO out of date they changed the name :o Windows Phone 7 and 7.5 is current should you be interested in breaking "the one step forward, two steps backwards" cycle! :rolleyes:

Edited by Barnie's Band of Gold

The beta launch of the Geocaching Live API continues! This time we're pleased to announce four new partners:

xyGDN.png PocketDrake

PocketDrake is a freeware application for devices running Windows Mobile designed for paperless geocaching. The aim of the program is to provide in one place everything needed for geocaching as well as to allow simple data management through programs on the PC. It is recommended to use PocketDrake in cooperation with GeoGet, because both applications share the same database.

Well done Groundspeak! Partnering to provide service to an obsolete OS. Windows Mobile is SO out of date they changed the name :o Windows Phone 7 and 7.5 is current should you be interested in breaking "the one step forward, two steps backwards" cycle! :rolleyes:

I don't understand this comment at all. A developer wanted to support this community and so we gave him API access.

xyGDN.png PocketDrake

As Moun10Bike points out, the API is open so that developers can build an app for whatever platform they want. The work being done by external developers in no way affects what is being done in-house. This comment is ill-informed and disrespectful. Please post with more care.

This probably doesn't belong here but that's part of the problem, that it has not been mentioned anywhere in the forums as far as I can see, or anywhere else except on the WAP site itself on the day that the wap.geocaching.com site has gone down for maintenance for a "few days" since November 29th- (hmmm nice birthday present for me...) how many is a few? (I wonder how many cachers got caught in the field finding the search wasn't available any more?)

Feel free to move this to an appropriate forum in order to reply, then hopefully we might know what is going on....

I posted about this issue in a WAP related thread here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285087&view=findpost&p=4911898. We had to take the site down in order to fix a security exploit. We expected that it would be up at the end of the last week, but there has been a bit more to do to properly plug the hole. I'll follow up to see where we are shortly.

WAP-related but not related to this issue until someone made it so- you needed to make a separate topic of it to lower the difficulty level of the search! <_< But thanks for the followup anyway and I agree with the person who said the interim message should be updated.

I don't know if this is to do with the update, but I received 141 notifications from Geocaching unarchiving caches by local user kc12345, who then enabled them. Each cache has a prefix of GL. Haven't seen that before. I see that the caches are also enabled by this cacher. The link to GLxxxxxx does not work for me in the notifications.

All I can say for sure, is that NicoleLackey and KC must have been really busy....

I'll keep those emails for a bit in case the lackeys want a look - let me know if you do!

edit - pls excuse repeat above - 9 1/2 hr day ( up at 0530 ) only 4 hours sleep = dozy typing/composition

edit again - more looking and I find the cache...GL is Geocaching Log? I need more sleep......

Edited by popokiiti

I don't know if this is to do with the update, but I received 141 notifications from Geocaching unarchiving caches by local user kc12345, who then enabled them. Each cache has a prefix of GL. Haven't seen that before. I see that the caches are also enabled by this cacher. The link to GLxxxxxx does not work for me in the notifications.

All I can say for sure, is that NicoleLackey and KC must have been really busy....

I'll keep those emails for a bit in case the lackeys want a look - let me know if you do!

edit - pls excuse repeat above - 9 1/2 hr day ( up at 0530 ) only 4 hours sleep = dozy typing/composition

edit again - more looking and I find the cache...GL is Geocaching Log? I need more sleep......

What you're seeing is legit - What KC had yesterday morning was a big problem - looks all fixed now.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287120

I can't find release notes for whatever was the cause of the site maintenance yesterday, however please could you avoid site updates on Friday US time if possible because that is Saturday (in case of New Zealand Saturday midday) in Asia and the Pacific when a lot of people are likely to want to go caching. Thanks.

I can't find release notes for whatever was the cause of the site maintenance yesterday, however please could you avoid site updates on Friday US time if possible because that is Saturday (in case of New Zealand Saturday midday) in Asia and the Pacific when a lot of people are likely to want to go caching. Thanks.

It was stated in another thread (I believe by Moun10bike) that Friday's site maintenance was only for application of some server patches. No changes were made to the Web site itself, so no problems were anticipated,and none were found.

--Larry

This update was a pre-emptive fix to ensure that the server issue we encountered at 4am Seattle time last week, would not recur. We thought that taking the site down for an announced 15 minutes would be a far better option than having it crash for an undetermined amount of time at a later date. As always we apologize that there was any inconvenience caused.

:)

What you're seeing is legit - What KC had yesterday morning was a big problem - looks all fixed now.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287120

Thanks for that and for the link. Poor KC and Groundspeak, having to sort that out..........

I love geocaching.com, but the "social" part of the website SUX. Adding friends is disabled by default, and even if you do somehow manage to connect with one, it is almost the same as if you wouldn't. There is no "wall" (listing) of friends' activities.

Adding only those features, site would be a lot more user-friendly and social. I would like to watch what caches my friends are finding and hiding, but not by manually checking each one of them.

I like the new feature "add "corrected" coordinates to Mystery and Multi-caches".

I noticed that just the Icon on the small map moves to the corrected position. Please also move the Icon on the large map (orginal & beta map). So you can get a better overview where space for a new Cache could be :) or if you have solved a Mystery-Serie, you see by one view on the map the best way to walk to find them all.

It also would be nice when the Cache gets a new icon when you made a coordinates correction. It´s easier to notice which Mystery / Multi are already solved when they show a different Icon. For example the blue ? ist after the correction green.

Please also add a new GPX-Attribute to the GPX-File that it is clear that the coordinates in the file have been corrected.

For example <wpt lat="47.xxxxxx" lon="9.yyyyyy" corrected="True">

Thanks!

kind regards from Austria

Good post.

I love geocaching.com, but the "social" part of the website SUX. Adding friends is disabled by default, and even if you do somehow manage to connect with one, it is almost the same as if you wouldn't. There is no "wall" (listing) of friends' activities.

Adding only those features, site would be a lot more user-friendly and social. I would like to watch what caches my friends are finding and hiding, but not by manually checking each one of them.

this ain't a social website not facebook to have a "wall of activities"

I disagree. If Geocaching isn't social activity, than I don't know what is. I was not talking about Facebook-like "wall" of activity, but rather about list of recent friends' geocaching activity. So which caches were found/not found/hidden by your friends. That would make use of this site more fun.

I disagree. If Geocaching isn't social activity, than I don't know what is.

Geocaching is not necessarily a social activity. I was (and still am) in it for the challenge and the exercise, not for the social aspect. The social part of caching is a perk of the hobby for lots of people. For others who aren't as sociable, they can have a great time simply finding caches. I know a good number of cachers in this area who have never attended a caching event, never visited these forums, and have no interest in anything like Facebook. In fact, I would never have met them if our paths hadn't crossed on the trails.

Personally, I'm somewhere in between. I attend the occasional caching event, and I've met some good friends in the process, but 99% of the time, when I'm out caching, it's a solo endeavor. I have a Facebook page, I have a good number of Facebook "friends" who are cachers, and that's more than enough Web-based socializing to satisfy me.

If it came to a vote, I would opt to leave the social stuff for Facebook and ask the powers-that-be at Groundspeak to concentrate on what they're best at: maintaining a database of geocaches for me to go looking for.

--Larry

If it came to a vote, I would opt to leave the social stuff for Facebook and ask the powers-that-be at Groundspeak to concentrate on what they're best at: maintaining a database of geocaches for me to go looking for.

And what is better way to help you find a great cache, than showing you list of the ones that are recently found by your GC friends? This feature already exist, only you are stuck with manually checking each friend, instead of showing it all in one place.

I was obviously misunderstood. I am not requesting classic social features (like chat, status updates etc.). I agree this should be left for Facebook and similar websites. However aggregating some data in relation to users that you are connected (friended) to is obviously a great and useful feature. It is also becoming a standard for on-line portals like this one.

If somebody (like larryc43230) would mind seeing such activity list, he/she could simply not connect to any Geocaching friend.

What is more, why bother having the "add friend" feature anyway, if there is no use in having one?

Edited by Skavt

And what is better way to help you find a great cache, than showing you list of the ones that are recently found by your GC friends? This feature already exist, only you are stuck with manually checking each friend, instead of showing it all in one place.

I was obviously misunderstood. I am not requesting classic social features (like chat, status updates etc.). I agree this should be left for Facebook and similar websites. However aggregating some data in relation to users that you are connected (friended) to is obviously a great and useful feature. It is also becoming a standard for on-line portals like this one.

If somebody (like larryc43230) would mind seeing such activity list, he/she could simply not connect to any Geocaching friend.

What is more, why bother having the "add friend" feature anyway, if there is no use in having one?

Sorry, I was combining in my head your proposal with others that are pushing rather strongly to transmogrify the geocaching site into the equivalent of Facebook. I agree with you that the Friends feature at this site has potential. It seems to have been one of those ideas (like Wherigo caches and Souvenirs) that got off to a decent start, only to be neglected because someone at Groundspeak thought up something "cooler."

I'm overall very supportive of Groundspeak's efforts, but sometimes I think they have a corporate case of ADHD. I've seen some good ideas, but the follow-through could be a whole lot better.

--Larry

I disagree. If Geocaching isn't social activity, than I don't know what is. I was not talking about Facebook-like "wall" of activity, but rather about list of recent friends' geocaching activity. So which caches were found/not found/hidden by your friends. That would make use of this site more fun.

We are looking into how to better address this aspect of the game. But refrain from comments, like "this sucks!" as it is not appropriate forum behavior and could mean that you do not get to post in our forums.

We are looking into how to better address this aspect of the game. But refrain from comments, like "this sucks!" as it is not appropriate forum behavior and could mean that you do not get to post in our forums.

Thank you for the feedback. I do support your efforts and love this game. This is the first thing I wrote. The social part of the site (the one I was talking about last few post) however is very bad. I do hope I am allowed to express my opinion. If something isn't good, it just isn't. As software engineer, I am used to tell things straight. I wasn't in any way offensive.

p.s. I hope that being a premium member tells you enough about my support to you guys. I wasn't paying because of the features, that's for sure.

Edited by Skavt