BEWARE. PLEASE READ! VERY IMPORTANT

sunkist21

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-jar-of-fingers-tongue-determined-to-be-nonhuman-20111205,0,1174320.story

Okay, just to clear this up for everyone, heres my side of the story, since IM the one who found it, and IM the one who called the police.. When your a geocacher, u go out for the fun, and u go out to find a jar full of trinkets... i would understand if the caches name was "halloween cache" so that people would undestand you might find something creepy.. but this cache was nature cache.. in a tree... i would have never expected to find a jar full of dark red solution with what looked to be a tounge and fingers stuck with about 100 pins in them, with a face of a kids picture pinned to the tounge... you could even see the fingernail.. what looked to be the fingers were decaying, there was stuff floating all around the inside of the jar... and there was a second jar, which looked to me to be a penis wrapped with string..now what id like to know, is what person in their right mind would open the jar to smell it when it could possibly be a murder case? i didnt want to put my fingerprints on that! So I called the cops immediately. They needed to know about this.. and when the cop showed up, at first they were joking but the second he saw the jar he even thought it was real and called his sargent.. and seeing as they found a head in the woods a week back, they thought i had found the rest of the body. They told me it was possibly gang related because of the kids picture in it but who knows... im just thanking god that it was me who found it and not some little kid. I contacted the owner of the cache (MGBmusic) and its temporarily shut down for now..

Edited by sunkist21
"It’s not the geocachers who did this. It’s probably some sick joke," Cogan said.

I will say this, I found a number of fake hands and foot caches. I always thought it was funny!

Seriously, I think it was a geocacher that did it. Some cachers got some dark sense of humor. :ph34r:

Meh-it could have put geocachers in a much worse light, but I thnk we came out ok.

I literally had to call the chicago tribune back and tell them that they made it look like it was intentionally set there by the geocachers.. and i had to tell them that his is a family oriented game and it was probly a sick joke..

im glad it was found by cachers and not just blamed on us. this article did a nice job making sure to let everyone know that this is not part of the game.

you should have seen the first article they wrote about this... I had to call them back and set the story straight because im the one who found the jar!!! they completely blamed the geocachers!!! ... and since im a geocacher, i said there was no way it was put there by a geocacher because this is family oriented and we have little kids doing this!

"It’s not the geocachers who did this. It’s probably some sick joke," Cogan said.

I will say this, I found a number of fake hands and foot caches. I always thought it was funny!

Seriously, I think it was a geocacher that did it. Some cachers got some dark sense of humor. :ph34r:

yeah, but this is decomposing fingers with pins sticking it in with a picture of a kids head pinned to the finger.. thats not just some sick joke.. especially when children are playing this game. they dont need to be seeing that!

I, personally did not like the way the chicago tribune handeled things.. the first article was written completely blaming the geocachers, and since i was the one who found the jar in the forest, i called the tribune and told them they had the story all wrong. They eventually edited it, making geocachers not seem like the bad guys..

but when theres needles and pins stuck in decomposing fingers... i dont think would be good for a kid to find. I just dont think thats funny at all.

but when theres needles and pins stuck in decomposing fingers... i dont think would be good for a kid to find. I just dont think thats funny at all.

after I look at your profile and I dont think that picture of you is really for kids to see. :blink:

I dont think its funny if little kids should be finding jars of what looked like decomposing fingers with pins in them..it could scar them for life..

got a problem with my tattoo? sux.

after I look at your profile and I dont think that picture of you is really for kids to see. :blink:

Im in early childhood education, i know everything about children. There is no need for you to be judging on how i dress. you dont even know me.

You don't look any different than some of the kids' parents!!

Cache on! and

Illegitimus non carborundum.

I don't know what happened in this case, but I recently found a Halloween themed cache where the container was a fake severed arm. But it was obvious enough that it was fake (when looking at it up close). However I was worried if someone was watching me from a distance when I re-hid the "arm".

Im in early childhood education, i know everything about children. There is no need for you to be judging on how i dress. you dont even know me.

The entire situation seems like a misunderstanding, to a certain degree. It appears as though you were doing what you deemed "the right thing" and it was poorly reported. Miscommunication happens, poor reporting happens, and life goes on. We all have our own idea of what is acceptable, funny, scary, etc... That's what keeps life interesting. IMO

Now, a statement like yours, quoted above, leaves little room for misunderstanding. While I think you are probably a very nice young lady, attractive, educated, well intentioned and pursuing a noble career, you can not truly believe that you know everything about children.

I have degrees in metallurgy, machine tool technology and mechanical engineering and have been working as a machinist and cnc programmer for 20+ years, but I don't know everything about machining, metal or engineering. I also have 3 kids, 2 are grown and had 4.0 GPA's through high school, maintained 3.6 and higher GPA's through college and are both in the military now. My youngest is a straight A student and in 5th grade. None of them have been in trouble with the law, nor had any real issues of any sort. They are all good kids who did what we all hope kids will do while growing up. I think that suffices as proof that I was a decent parent. But it wouldn't mean that I know everything about kids. It just means that I know enough to have been able to help guide them.

I am sure you know a-lot about children, and will do fine in life, but to claim you know everything about children is disingenuous and, quite honestly, impossible.

As I stated previously, you are an attractive young lady, but your lack of humility makes you appear less so. Just something to think about...

two things: First, I can't believe you actually called the police. You could have very easily determined yourself if it was fake or not....sense of smell maybe? poke it with a stick?

Second, to be 21 years old and claim you know everything about children is laughable, why? You have a degree? My wife is a elementary school teacher who is nationally board certified and has her masters degree. She has been teaching for 10 years, does she know everything about children? She would be the first to say no. Please get a grip with reality

I had a similar experience but from the hider's perspective. I think you over-reacted and you could have easily used your intellect to determine whether or not the police should be involved. I used to do an annual Halloween series but had to shut it down in 2009 because some cachers weren't capable of figuring out the difference between what was real and not real.

Quite, if I found what I REALLY thought was body parts there is no way I would be investigating further. If this had gone the other way, the OP thought they were fake and were actually real and they ended up messing with vital evidence, we'd probably be heaping scorn on them for that, and that really would have given geocachers an bad rap.

Not being there we should give the benefit of the doubt and reckon caution was probably the better route.

editted cos i can't work out where capitals GO

Edited by The Real Boudica.

you called the police for a jar with a rubber finder and tongue in it... are you serious?????

Sounds like it looked real enough to the cop that checked up on it. To me, it seems kind of freakly that even a fake finger and tongue were put in a jar and hidden in the woods like that. Who would do that, and why?

I agree with Knowschad. (Why do I keep saying that? :laughing: ) If it looked real enough to call the police I would say you did the right thing. Better safe than sorry and whatnot.

Nanny state mentality caused this...LOL....the gov't has the answer to all your needs. Surprised OWS didn't get in the way of caching.

Why don't you enlighten us as to what YOU think the appropriate steps would have been had you been in their shoes?

..(trim).. If it looked real enough to call the police I would say you did the right thing. Better safe than sorry and whatnot.

Just like the dead body found in the link below looked real enough?? For crying out loud.

The Front Row

WOW! It amazes me the lack of common sense people lack, look at the dang eyes on the thing, you can tell just from the picture it is fake

I have one of the darkest senses of humor. Heck, I used to like dead baby jokes. Can't stand to even think of those jokes now that I have a child though.

I have seen a few body part caches and heard of a few more. I love 'em. My favorites are the severed heads. They all look very fake.

..(trim).. If it looked real enough to call the police I would say you did the right thing. Better safe than sorry and whatnot.

Just like the dead body found in the link below looked real enough?? For crying out loud.

The Front Row

It's amazing that the sheriff opened the coffin at all, as it could have been a bomb. :rolleyes:

If that Sherriff has had even 1/10 the amount of bomb threat training I have had, he knew it was safe to open.

Bombers risk thier own lives to manufacture bombs. They want the greatest return on investment to kill/harm as many people and damage/destroy as much property as possible.

Even the recent park bomber in California put his bombs in high traffic areas.

If there is ever a bomb placed in a cache, it will be easy to catch the cacher that did it and it will be a 1 off occurance not likely ever to be repeated.

Take a look through the stores that sell Halloween stuff. Geez.

Dealt with, over, local problem, move on.

Nah, this one has the potential to go all Alien Head Cache Impact Can Be Seen From Space. It could get entertaining. Especially when those against say that these caches and the folks that like them are hurting geocaching's image. :anibad::laughing:

The entire situation seems like a misunderstanding, to a certain degree. It appears as though you were doing what you deemed "the right thing" and it was poorly reported. Miscommunication happens, poor reporting happens, and life goes on. We all have our own idea of what is acceptable, funny, scary, etc... That's what keeps life interesting. IMO

Now, a statement like yours, quoted above, leaves little room for misunderstanding. While I think you are probably a very nice young lady, attractive, educated, well intentioned and pursuing a noble career, you can not truly believe that you know everything about children.

I have degrees in metallurgy, machine tool technology and mechanical engineering and have been working as a machinist and cnc programmer for 20+ years, but I don't know everything about machining, metal or engineering. I also have 3 kids, 2 are grown and had 4.0 GPA's through high school, maintained 3.6 and higher GPA's through college and are both in the military now. My youngest is a straight A student and in 5th grade. None of them have been in trouble with the law, nor had any real issues of any sort. They are all good kids who did what we all hope kids will do while growing up. I think that suffices as proof that I was a decent parent. But it wouldn't mean that I know everything about kids. It just means that I know enough to have been able to help guide them.

I am sure you know a-lot about children, and will do fine in life, but to claim you know everything about children is disingenuous and, quite honestly, impossible.

As I stated previously, you are an attractive young lady, but your lack of humility makes you appear less so. Just something to think about...

didnt mean it like that, i was implying that i know that children couldnt handle finding what looked to be decomposing fingers in a jar..