Best lubricant for gps sealing rings

gallet

Particularly the Colorado where the back has to slide over the seal around the battery compartment as opposed to say an etrex where the back is pressed straight down onto the seal without needing to slide over it. The Colorado seal is particularly prone to damage as the cover slides over the final piece, which I usually try to press down with my fingernail while sliding the back over it.

So I'm after something appropriate that will not gum up or dissolve the ring over time.

Excellent. I just found and ordered it on ebay australia. 1/2 oz for $10 including delivery from the US of A.

???

You don't have plumber supplies store in Australia ? half an ozie, is it half an Autralian ? :) Just get some silicone grease used to lube faucet O rings !!!!

Lubricant used in air and paintball guns are alos silicone based and fine too.

It's done now. I bought some silicone grease a couple of years ago but it was not the right stuff. I used to have a katadyne silver impregnated ceramic camping water filter that came with a small tube of white grease for the o ring but that was many years ago. You'd be surprised how difficult is is to get some items over here.

"I used to have a katadyne silver impregnated ceramic camping water filter that came with a small tube of white grease for the o ring..."

That's funny, I have been using the same tube of silicone grease from my Katadyne hiking water filter on various o-rings for years too. If only they sold those little white tubes of silicone grease somewhere.

Not all silicone greases are created equal. I tried some of that plumbers silicone and it was more of a paste than a grease and made everything nasty. I'm sure it did no harm to the seals but that stuff is made a bit differently than the grease for o-rings that don't get super hot (heated water).

Edited by yogazoo

"I used to have a katadyne silver impregnated ceramic camping water filter that came with a small tube of white grease for the o ring..."

That's funny, I have been using the same tube of silicone grease from my Katadyne hiking water filter on various o-rings for years too. If only they sold those little white tubes of silicone grease somewhere.

I used to fret about the day when it would run out. I can confirm that all silicone greases are not equal. I will report back on the Dow Corning® 111 NSF/FDA Approved O-ring Lubricant, which I am sure will be excellent.

@mpilchfamily, no.

as yogazoo said

Not all silicone greases are created equal. I tried some of that plumbers silicone and it was more of a paste than a grease and made everything nasty.

However some ponds cold cream smeared on the slide tube of a trombone and then wiped off with a soft cloth enables one to then use water on the slide rather than slide oil, and it works much better.

Edited by gallet

For an application like for GPS rings, I would not recommend any type of grease because it will attract dirt. This can hurt the ring and ability to keep out water. If you use anything, including silicone spray in a can, wipe excess off.

Use grease on o-rings that are in plumbing fixtures or on devices that are tightened down permanently.

Edited by EScout