Oregon 450 - what case do you use?

JoeRetro

Hello all,

I'm new to geocaching this year, tons of fun! I recently upgraded to a Garmin Oregon 450 and am looking for a good case to project it. Preferable a hard case.

After reading up on the Garmin brand hard case, it looks like it may not be too good of a fit. Most of the reviews say it's overly bulky and too large for the Oregon.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10850-20-Hard-carrying-case/dp/B001ECRAWO/

So as a general question to Oregon owners, what case to do you use and what do you like about it? I've been good this year and Santa may bring me one if I ask for it.

Thanks!

- Joe

That hard case is designed to be a bit larger then the unit. As you can see the unit clips into that case. There is no need for it to be snug around the unit. I can see how having the unit in that case strapped to your belt would make things easier. You wouldn't have to carry it around in your hands all the time. You just flip it down and take a look at where you need to go.

Personally i don't see a need for a hard case on any good hand held GPSr. Unless your looking for a better way to carry it with you. As far as getting a case for protection i don't think its worth it. All cases add extra bulk to the unit and the units are built pretty tough to start with.

Another "no case needed" person here. Mine's been dropped, sat on, banged around rocks and submerged, and all of that several times over. It's got plenty of scratches and dents, but that's just part of its beauty. :lol: Still works like on the first day. Screen protector is a must though.

I'm not fan of screen protectors...but I'm wondering if my 450 needs one?

My Colorado survived! The case for one on the Oregon is.......??

.... it scratches quite easily. Since it's got a touchscreen and the user interface relies heavily on touchscreen scrolling, all you need is a tiny piece of sand under your finger nail or some such to get a nice long scratch on the screen...

I use the same style of soft case for all my Garmin's. For the Oregon it's the 010-10117-03, about $10. I store and transport whatever device I'm using in it's soft case but I hang the GPSr on a lanyard out "in the field". I'm not a fan of screen protectors either but I stumbled the other day and scratched the case above the screen, so I'm thinking about it.

I use a black cordura cell phone case with elastic sides, made by McGuire-Nicholas. Case isn't much bigger than my Oregon GPS. Has a velcro flap over the top and metal belt clip on the back, plus a nylon loop on back for a belt to go through. Very secure setup if using on a belt and still small enough to go in a pocket. I like this setup for hunting, easy to take in and out of case and the added protection.

edit: and maintains satellite lock while in the case on my belt.

Edited by eaparks

Back in the day when I had a CO, I dropped my CO on some rocks and it put a nasty scratch on my screen. I bought a Zagg screen protector and it actually removed the scratch. Those Zagg screen protectors have a lifetime warenty and you cannot scratch them and even if you do, they repair themselves. I've got a OR 550T and the tochscreen works great with the Zagg.

Zagg is available directly from their online store. Remember to search online for coupon codes first. They also have some B&M presence that will apply it on for you, I believe.

For soft case : http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-11345-00-Slip-case/dp/B001ULDANC

I don't use one on my Oregon 300, and it's pretty scratched up. I do use one on my eTrex Venture HC, and it looks pristine.

Zagg is available directly from their online store. Remember to search online for coupon codes first. They also have some B&M presence that will apply it on for you, I believe.

For soft case : http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-11345-00-Slip-case/dp/B001ULDANC

I don't use one on my Oregon 300, and it's pretty scratched up. I do use one on my eTrex Venture HC, and it looks pristine.

My 450 is the toughest piece of electronic gear I have ever owned EXCEPT for the screen. I echo the need for a screen protector and have been very favorably impressed by my ZAGG protector. I have dropped my unit many times on rocks.

Yeah I saw that, but it's just a screen protector with a case...if you know what I mean?

It maybe what you want, but I just wanted something to put it in when I've finished caching, then stick it in my coat/back of car etc to stop it being scratched :)

Seems like the windowed slipcase should still keep it from being scratched, except for the corners. Not sure if it is worth the extra 5 bucks tho.

How good is the fit with your case?

Yeah I saw that, but it's just a screen protector with a case...if you know what I mean?

It maybe what you want, but I just wanted something to put it in when I've finished caching, then stick it in my coat/back of car etc to stop it being scratched :)

Seems like the windowed slipcase should still keep it from being scratched, except for the corners. Not sure if it is worth the extra 5 bucks tho.

How good is the fit with your case?

Will let you know when it arrives...hopefully today or tomorrow :)

It fits really well...glad I got it :)

Thanks for the update - glad I ordered as well, mine's arriving today :) Is there enough room to have the belt clip on, or is it a pretty tight fit?

My Oregon 300 has a number of scratches on it, most of it collected while it is not in use. Figured this case should spare my new 450 from a similar fate.

I just removed the Zagg screen protector from my 300. The protector has a couple of small scratches on it, but the screen is pristine. It was a major pain to put on properly, but now I'm glad I did.

It fits really well...glad I got it :)

Thanks for the update - glad I ordered as well, mine's arriving today :) Is there enough room to have the belt clip on, or is it a pretty tight fit?

My Oregon 300 has a number of scratches on it, most of it collected while it is not in use. Figured this case should spare my new 450 from a similar fate.

I just removed the Zagg screen protector from my 300. The protector has a couple of small scratches on it, but the screen is pristine. It was a major pain to put on properly, but now I'm glad I did.

I've had a Oregon 200 for a couple years and other than the Zagg screen protector, it doesn't have any damage worth mentioning. Those things are pretty tough. No case for me although I'll probably add a lanyard. I'm getting a 450 for Xmas so this reminds me to order the Zagg for that (I got a couple scratches on the 200 screen in the first month from keys in my pocket etc. before I added the Zagg).

I just ordered one of those GizzMoVest cases for my Oregon 450. I didn't like the Zagg screen protector on it, as it was kind of tacky and a bother when scrolling the display. I ended up getting a 3M one and am now fully covered.

It was tacky initially, but that wore off and it was much easier to use after a few days.

I'm using Skinomi on my new 450.

I just ordered one of those GizzMoVest cases for my Oregon 450. I didn't like the Zagg screen protector on it, as it was kind of tacky and a bother when scrolling the display. I ended up getting a 3M one and am now fully covered.

It was tacky initially, but that wore off and it was much easier to use after a few days.

I'm using Skinomi on my new 450.

The tackiness never wore off for me so I put the 3M one over the Zagg and it was fine

Part No:010-10117-03

OK, to answer my own question about fit : it's about an inch too long, 1/2 inch too wide, and fairly good fit for depth. Not enough space to store the GPS with the belt clip on, however.

You mean the carabina clip? That's weird as mine fits in OK, I just rotated it around so it wasn't sticking out and it all fits in the case nicely...weird.

Edited by eusty
You mean the carabina clip? That's weird as mine fits in OK, I just rotated it around so it wasn't sticking out and it all fits in the case nicely...weird.

No, not the carabiner clip, the belt clip.

Part no: 010-11022-10

There's two parts to the clip - one that attaches to the Oregon's "spine" (like the carabiner clip) and another that clips on to your belt, and a tab on one hooks into the slot on the other. If they're attached, it's too thick to be placed in the case.

Is this the same ZAGG screen protector just not precut to the Oregon 450 screen size? If so looks like an easy way to save some money, but without the warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-invisibleSHIELD-Universal-UNINAVGPSKIT-Protector/dp/B0041WPTAO/

Edit:

And also not on ZAGG's website, there looks to be a 3-pack available "for cellphones". Is this also the same thing?

http://www.target.com/p/Zagg-Universal-Screen-Protector-for-Cellphones-Clear-FFUNI3PKS/-/A-13740994

Edited by cohentl
Is this the same ZAGG screen protector just not precut to the Oregon 450 screen size? If so looks like an easy way to save some money, but without the warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-invisibleSHIELD-Universal-UNINAVGPSKIT-Protector/dp/B0041WPTAO/

Edit:

And also not on ZAGG's website, there looks to be a 3-pack available "for cellphones". Is this also the same thing?

http://www.target.com/p/Zagg-Universal-Screen-Protector-for-Cellphones-Clear-FFUNI3PKS/-/A-13740994

Looks like the same thing. I've cut from a larger piece of another screen protector before. I suggest you start with a paper template.

Zaggs also has frequent discount and free shipping coupons.

BTW I tried Skinomi (cut it to size myself - they don't have one for Oregon) and it doesn't have the tacky feel of an Invisible Shield.

Totally agree here. I'm a 'case' kinda' guy. And I agree with the recommendation of the Gizzmovest. It isn't in the class of my Ballistic case for my iPhone, but it seems substantial. Fits well in my hand too. Yeah, it definitely adds to the overall size, but I don't find that to be a problem. It's whatever floats your boat.

So, Gizzmovest. On eBay, with shipping, they are about $30. That's steep compared to the quality of the Ballistic for the iPhone.

As for screen protector, just got a Savvies off eBay from the Seller protectionfilms24. Free shipping to Japan, but to the U.S. it is not good news. Also you need the patience of Job and the steady hands of a surgeon to get that protector on the screen because it fits EXACTLY. And a credit card marred the surface trying to get bubbles out. But talk about fast shipping! Fastest ever from an eBay Seller.

I'm a "case" guy and the gizzmovest cases are the best on the market. You will still need a screen protector though.

Link:Gizzmovest Oregon Case

Totally agree here. I'm a 'case' kinda' guy. And I agree with the recommendation of the Gizzmovest. It isn't in the class of my Ballistic case for my iPhone, but it seems substantial. Fits well in my hand too. Yeah, it definitely adds to the overall size, but I don't find that to be a problem. It's whatever floats your boat.

So, Gizzmovest. On eBay, with shipping, they are about $30 from the Seller polypurchasing. That's steep compared to the quality of the Ballistic for the iPhone, but the prices seem set no matter where you buy from. Polypurchasing was a reliable source as far as I am concerned.

As for a screen protector, just got a Savvies off eBay from the Seller protectionfilms24. Free shipping to Japan, but to the U.S. it is not good news. Also you need the patience of Job and the steady hands of a surgeon to get that protector on the screen because it fits EXACTLY. Perhaps if you are talented at putting on film protectors it would be no problem at all. But for me..... But talk about fast shipping! Fastest ever from an eBay Seller.

I'm a "case" guy and the gizzmovest cases are the best on the market. You will still need a screen protector though.

Link:Gizzmovest Oregon Case

I use the same style of soft case for all my Garmin's. For the Oregon it's the 010-10117-03, about $10. I store and transport whatever device I'm using in it's soft case but I hang the GPSr on a lanyard out "in the field". I'm not a fan of screen protectors either but I stumbled the other day and scratched the case above the screen, so I'm thinking about it.

I finally caved and bought Garmin's slip case for my Oregon 450 (010-11345-00 $12.95). It has a clear plastic front to protect the touch screen. It's a little clunky but I'll give it a try.